Chapter 8
44 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Some two to three hours later we reach the scene where Tony Stark collapses to the ground, and Iron Man breathes his last breath. Tom Holland, dressed as Spider Man, utters his last lines to his dying mentor "You won, we did it Sir, we did it. I'm sorry Tony", his voice shaking.

"Ram...are you crying?" I blink my eyes rapidly several times.

"No". 

"Your voice sounds strangled."

"...Alright, maybe a little." I turn to face Chen. "How can you not? It's been more than ten years, but I guess the big man's gotta go some time."

"Oh wow, more ten years?"

"Iron man 1 came out in 2008."

"And you've been watching it since then?"

"Of course, I've been a fan since I was itty bitty. I think I still have my old posters and action figures stashed in my parents' house." Chen's face breaks out into a smile.

"What?"

"I'm trying to imagine a teenie tiny Ram playing with action figures."

"There are still adults who do that kind of thing, you know? Like, adults who collect figurines or watch animated shows-" I notice Chen's shifting gaze.

"Speaking of which, your pencil pouch has a cartoon character on it, doesn't it? Like Pikachu or something?" Chen pouts angrily.

"It's not a 'cartoon character', it's anime! And it's not just for kids you know, there's some serious blood and gore in some of them!"

"Okay, okay whatever you say."

"Hey! I'm serious! Don't treat me like a kid!"

"Okay, okay, I won't Chen who can't cut an onion."

"Hey!"

"Or should I say cry baby Chen?" He punches my shoulder, then clutches his own hand. 

"Ow! What the heck, it's hard as a rock!" I laugh. "This is because I eat actual protein and workout. Speaking of which, do you exercise?" Chen pouts and looks away.

"I exercise my hands when I write."

"Don't you type?"

"I make notes! And sign autographs. Besides, typing is an exercise too!" I shake my head.

"Sure sure, you should seriously exercise though. It's not good to eat like a bird and hardly move your body."

"I don't eat like a bird!" This time he tries to kick me.

"Owwwww!" He clutches his leg.

"I'm telling you man, you've gotta exercise." I say while continuing to laugh. Frustrated, Chen finally tries to ram against me with all his might. Invariably, he ends up falling on top of me. His arm is braced against my chest, our faces inches apart. For a moment, everything freezes. Chen's gaze flits off to the side. His ears are red. 

I feel my throat grow dry. It's as if time has slowed down, everything coalesces in that single moment. I can hear our shallow breaths and my accelerating heartbeat. I reach forward and...pinch Chen's fleshy arm, hard. He shoots up with a howl.

"I told you last time didn't I? You're so skinny, you have absolutely no muscle. Come on, next opportunity that arises, we're going to the gym."

"That hurt!!!"

"Well if you had more muscle, you could fight back."

"Hmph!" He turns tail and stomps to his room. I cover up my smile, how cute. Then I freeze. Ram, where the hell is your mind going right now? What the hell was that? You're just letting him stay because you feel bad for him. Besides, you're not even... I shake my head to clear my thoughts. Let's go finish that analysis paper, hopefully I don't have to pull another all-nighter. 

3