Chapter 4
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's Note:

 If you're reading this story for the first time after May 26th then ignore this. If you read this story before May 26th, please take note I reordered the chapters a bit so that the current chapter 5 is the previous chapter 3. Furthermore, Arsh's name is now changed to Acher for reasons that will be revealed in chapter 6.

"What have you guys already gotten?" Acher asks, peering into our cart. Then he pauses, his eyebrows crinkling. He pulls out the bear spray, "you guys are getting this?"

"Of course, you never know when bears could..."

"No need." Acher pulls it out and sets it to the side interrupting Rodrigo, who pauses mid lecture, flabbergasted.

"This is your first time hiking, right?" Acher turns and looks directly into my eyes. I pause.

"Uh, yeah."

"Trekking poles are fine but not necessary for this mountain, if you think you need them-"

"I don't!"

"-then no need."

"I want them!" Mir pipes up. Acher turns to face him, raising an eyebrow skeptically.

"What do you need them for?"

"I want to be like Kirito from Sword Art Online with double swords-"

"Rejected. Next..." He goes through our cart and by the time he's finished, it's half depleted. Throughout the process Rodrigo stands there flabbergasted as Acher undoes all his choices and Mir pipes up several times however, he's quickly shot down. In the face of Acher's cool judgements, the two have identical expressions on their faces, both looking like abandoned puppies. Seeing this, I softly snicker. Acher flashes me a grin and I freeze. He soon returns his eyes to the cart and I secretly let out a sigh of relief.

"Okay then, since you guys haven't gotten your tents yet shall we go together?" Acher asks looking at me. Rodrigo opens his mouth to respond.

"We-"

"Yeah, sure." I quickly cut across Rodrigo, shooting him a glare. He almost made me buy all that extra stuff! From then on time flies as we quickly grab the essentials under Acher's reliable leadership.

"So are you looking for a two person tent?" Acher asks. I feel his warm brown eyes on me and for a second I'm breathless. Just in the span of a few hours he's looked at me more times that I would have dreamed of. Heck, I have dreamed of this many times. But each of those times it's the eyes of a child now...there's an intensity and maturity to his gaze that I never expected to be the focus of. Ugh, you're such an idiot Jason, what are you even thinking? It's not like it means anything and he's just helping me pick out a tent.

"Jason?" I feel an electric shock course through me as I hear my name coming out of those lips. How does he know my name? Wait, of course he does, Rodrigo mentioned it earlier! Argh, you're such an idiot-

"Hey, you okay?" He comes closer to me and waves a hand in front of my face. Those warm brown eyes are magnified and I feel faint.

"...I'm fine."

"So are you looking for a two person tent?" I glance down at the options.

"...two person?" Freshman year I refused to live in the dorms when I found out that I had a roommate. And my parents, due to my eyes, have always indulged me for certain things. So they spoke to the school and I lived in a single room. I've always detested sleeping with others therefore, I never intend to.

"Yeah, there are two person or four person tents here."

"...how about single tents?"

"Oh." He blinks. "Are you not sharing with Rodrigo?"

"No."

"Oh, ok." He glances towards Rodrigo who grins, saying "my buddy here can't sleep with other people." He hooks an arm around my neck and I frown at how heavy it is, shrugging out of his grasp.

"Well, then you can get these..." Acher points out a selection of single tents and I select a smaller, plain, black looking one.

After a little less than an hour, we finally leave the store. I glance down at my wrist, it's almost time for class, I should head out-I pause. There, in a corner of the mall sits a little stall. While I can't read the words from here, I'd never miss that familiar blue and yellow. I gaze at it. Thump. I feel a hand on my shoulder and I glance to my side with a frown.

"Hey Jason, do you like what you bought?" It's hyperactive Mir. I sigh, pulling away.

"...yes."

"That's good! Everything was perfect, except that Achy wouldn't let me get my double swords!" Achy, is that a nickname? I feel a pang in my chest.

"What would you even do with those? And besides, if you had bought them you'd be spending next week complaining about your empty wallet. And stop calling me that, it sounds gross." Acher's cool voice comes out from behind us.

"Hmph! I'll call you all I like. Achy, Achy, ACHY-OW!" He cries out as Acher roughly pinches him. Watching them bicker back and forth, I lower my eyes and turn away. I can't break into that bubble, what's the point in even trying? And I guess I can't visit that shop either, it's almost time for me to go-

"Hey, isn't that your favorite soft pretzel stall?" I look up, it's Rodrigo.

"Uh, yeah but I have afternoon classes-"

"There's still time, let's go grab some."

"But I-" He grabs my arm and pulls me along. I gaze at the familiar, comforting view of his tall back. He can be an idiot alright but he's always been there for me like an older brother. For a second, I feel as if my eyes are faintly wet but I blink them away.

"Hey, where are you guys going?" Mir asks, jogging lightly to catch up with us.

"Buying pretzels." Rodrigo responds.

"Oh, those? I've never had, are they good?"

"Their sweet pretzels are delicious, but Jason's got bad taste, he prefers salty." Rodrigo replies with a laugh. I furrow my eyebrows. "Who's got bad taste? Pretzels are made to be salty!"

"Uh-huh, you keep saying that."

"Shut up!" I pinch his ear and he howls in pain. "Ow, ow, ow, you know my ears are sensitive-"

"Hmph!" I surpass him and walk forward, ordering my pretzel.

"You two are close." I hear Acher's voice from behind me and my ears prick up.

"Yup, I've known him since he was a little babe, he used to be so adorable! But now...tch, tch, tch..." I whirl around, "we're the same age dumbass, don't act like you're so much older!"

"But I'm taller-" I reach for his ear again but he quickly doges, causing me to fall forward. I squeeze my eyes tight-and stop. I open my eyes and find myself buried in something dark and soft. Then, I smell a faintly woody smell and I furrow my brows.

"You okay?" I freeze, hearing that familiar voice. I slowly glance up, right into those familiar brown eyes. Oh shit.

"Uh, yeah I'm fine." I quickly push away, turning around to grab my pretzel as if it's a life saving straw. I hastily rip off a piece of the soft pretzel bread and lather it in cheese before bringing it to my lips. Ah, heaven. I blissfully chew and swallow, before becoming aware of the silence. I look up, three gazes are fixed one me. Rodrigo's is amused. "You still eat that like you did as a kid." He remarks, chortling.

"Wow Jason, you eat really well. Now I'm hungry too. One salty pretzel please!" Mir hums, scampering up to the stall.

After seeing the first two's reaction, I dread looking at Arev's but I somehow can't help myself. However, he simply flashes me a soft smile. I hastily turn away, not noticing his gaze still fixed on me. After grabbing pretzels, we all disperse and I quickly make my way back to school for my afternoon class. Despite running late due to traffic my mood is unprecedentedly good as I remember those warm brown eyes.

 

0