[Death’s Pardon by Purple Grimm]
28 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Death's Pardon"

 By Purple Grimm

For Everybody, I was feared, But for some, I was the ghost of the life, A deity, savior, an entity dressed in a black coat, but I am just a nobody, I have no appearance, no figure, and just void. An entity designed to ends a man's journey of life, I witness many suffering. I was there to see it, I see their pain, their sorrow, their madness, their begging for mercy, their secrets and their hopes, I was there to end it. I am death but not a figure of fear but a symbol of peace, for I was there to make them rest, and there is this old man, I knew his time of rest is near but I do not want him to die in regrets and loneliness. Souls die in this way were empty and light not having a sign of relief in their lives. 

It was a cold rainy night for this old-man named Ernest Salvo, It was the night of Christmas eve. But there were no twinkling lights nor Christmas trees can be seen around his house. The only light was a dim light in the kitchen above the round table where Mr.Salvo was eating his dinner all by himself. A freshly cooked boiled sweet potatoes were moist and tender and steam of smoke can be seen every time he cut it piece by piece, and a sound hew was expecting rang, It was the sound of the red telephone beside the sofa. He immediately stood up from his table and grabs the telephone.

"He-Hey, dad?! It was me, Margarette," It was the voiced he expected. the voice of his daughter.

"Uhm...Dad? I'm so sorry but Jimmy and I cannot go to your house this Christmas, Jim will tour the twins in the amusement park this night, I hope you consider and understand."

It was obviously her daughter cannot go to celebrate Christmas eve with him.

It is been three years since his two children last visited this countryside. And the energy of Mr. Salvo eyes weakened. The reason why he only eats the potatoes was to reserve the dishes for his family to come, but none of them came to visit. Nor his son or his daughter.

"Koo! Koo, KOO!!! “

The morning alarm of the roaster reached the ears of the old-man Salvo who was sleeping in his rocking chair. He immediately stood up and did his daily chores. It is taking care of his small farm. His time is near to come to an end, Two days to be exact, Then he will draw his last breath. but fate seems to play with this old man.

------

"Shhhhhh" 

The sound of a burning car can be heard in the distance. A blue sedan car was crushed leaving two deaths due to cliff fall. I immediately did my work. It was the soul of Margarette and Jim. The daughter of Mr. Ernest Salvo and the husband of Margarette. It was raining pretty hard that night and the road was slippery and dark. Jim was driving the blue sedan car while his family was in the backseat, But an unfortunate event happened. A sleepy truck driver loses control over his truck and wiggle in the center of the road. Jim tried to dodge it but the road was slippery, the back of the car was hit, making it too forced to go merry-go-round on the road heading through the edge of the cliff. Due to the soft soil because of the hard rain, the blue sedan car fell.

The mother tried his best to protect her twins, she held her tight in her hands making her body as protection for her children.

Bang!

It was sad and traumatic, especially for the twins.

And then the mother saw me. As an appearance of how death was portrayed in her eyes, She saw me as a bright light I can say… 

"Please help my kids, just take me, help them....please....he-" She was begging me to help. Then she draws her last breath.

Mr. Salvo was planting the crops of potatoes on his farm, The red telephone rang again. Mr. Salvo expects that her son or daughter was on the phone. But humans do doubt and worry. The moment he reached the telephone, I could see the shock in his eyes. Tears fell on his old cheeks, he was in despair and agony when the words reached his ears.

"Your daughter passed away, I'm so sorry to tell." Those words made him tremble and wept. Tears still fell on his face, the dirt and tears were mixed up. The sweat and heat made him fall and lose consciousness and fell to the ground.

"Shall I give him a pardon?" I ask. As I say, regrets and loneliness can make a soul feel empty. Then the eerie wind blows.

Whoooosh....

Fate, it was fate that allows me to give pardon, I turned around and give Mr. Salvo a chance. To make a death's pardon to prolong his life again.

*Tik-tok(Time-lapse) *

A week has passed, Mr. Salvo prepared and cleaned the room. He was moodily happy even though her daughter just passed away. He cannot be depressed in front of his grandkids. Kaido and Kyoto. Kaido who is the big brother and Kyoto who is the little sister, they are fraternal twins to be in fact. Jim was the one who named them. The old man finds happiness and hope in these kids. He did his best to raise them.

*Tik-tok-tik-tok (Time-lapse)*

Two years had passed, His grandchildren just turned 5.

Mr. Salvo: "Happy Birthday! Kai and Kyo!" The grandpa happily shouted.

It was a fun celebration to be in short and old man Salvo decided to sell his farm at that time and build a grocery store, the store was earning well in years. His son's kids do visit him occasionally every year. Years had passed and every day his two grandchildren visit him in the store.

"I got a perfect score Pops!" Kai excitedly announced.

"Welp, I got high grades in every subject" Kyo proclaimed.

"But not perfect tho...ahahahahaha." Kyo teased his sister.

"Ha..Ha..ha..." The old man just giggled while looking at his two grandkids bond with each other.

It is always a bonding moment for the kids and their grandpa to serve the customer with a smile every day after school.

*Tik-Tok-Tik-Tok (Time-Lapse)*

Years passed and his grandkids started high-school. They still do their everyday routine, they never were so ungrateful to their grandpa and still visit him after school. But Mr.Salvo still hopes to see his son again Arthur who was living in London with his family, they rarely visit the old man. But Arthur never visits his father for the past 17 years.

"14 years had passed since I gave Mr.Salvo a death pardon,” I could say he really did his best for a pardoned life, He is now a 68-year-old man. But my death pardon was nearing its end. Many moments happened in his life. All of them were pure and joyful.

And Christmas was near again, And I see fate was still not done with him… 

*Tik-Tok-Tik-Tok (Time-lapse)*

 It was the end of November and Mr.Salvo and his two grandkids had a field trip that day. But Mr.Salvo decided to stay at his house, he was worried about his kids it's been hours since their last reply on the phone.

Waves were very high and the huge boat was sunk on the ground where his kids were staying. The Ocean swallowed the boat into the deep...Mr. Salvo heard that news and he was panicking and worried at the same time. He immediately ran into the port where rescue boats are busy coming back and forth. Then He saw two familiar faces. It was his two grandkids. He was glad and immediately ran into his grandchildren and hugged them very tightly.

It came to pass, at the start of December, people were busy buying Christmas gifts and decors, Mr. Salvo was also busy with his decors, Kaido was ironing his clothes while Kyoto was busy watching his Grandpa cooks.

"Not Too much oil Pops" Kyoto advised.

"I am sorry " The old man giggled and apologized.

"Not too much it will hurt your body" Also Kaido advised.

There was acceptance and sadness on his face, I know what is running in his mind. Maybe Kaido and Kyoto just think their grandpa just wants too much oil on his fried fish.

"Hey, Pops can we place the star in the Christmas tree?" Kyoto asked.

"Yes, You can." Their grandpa was very happy at that moment no human knows why.

As their every routine to bring smiles at the customer the one customer seems to notice Mr.Salvo smile.

"You seem to have a good day Mr. Salvo" The bearded guy happily asked.

"Yeah, my grandkids seem to be teasing me today." He replied.

The bearded guy was confused and so his two grandkids.

"Hey Don't tease your Grandpa so much" He smiled and walked away carrying his pack of gift wrapper.

"That guy was really a good guy Pops" Kaido Said.

"I am very sorry for teasing you Pops," Kyoto apologized.

"Your grandkids really love you, they still come and visit you ", a woman genuinely smiled.

" Thank you Mrs. Smith, Kaido can you get a candy mint and cigar for Mr. Ray ?" Mr. Salvo asked.

"Oh ... I'll get it, Mr. Salvo, no need to ask your grandkids", Mr. Ray spoked.

People seem to be very positive and good that day, but each life has its end.

The death's pardon was so little and it is wearing its end. Thus, the cold night of December 19 and Mr. Salvo was very sad and gloomy.

" Huuuu...", he deeply sighed and called his grandkids.

"Kaido, Kyoto, I think ... It is time to say goodbye", Mr. Salvo suddenly said to his two grandchildren.

" Pops, what do you mean ?" Kaido was shocked and asked.

"I knew that you two were not here, it is time to rest. I knew that you did not survive the sinking incident, the last time, I hug you both, you are so alive and warm. But when I hugged you after that incident, I felt empty and there were cold winds in both of you. I never hugged someone that day, I go home alone that day, I do not know how you came back. Kaido, the iron you used was never hot after used. Kyoto, you never hold anything when we cook. But I was glad that at the very least, I know you stay, you were here til' end. You were not just my delusion, you put the star on the tree that was the proof. You may now rest in peace my beloved Kaido and Kyoto ". Mr. Salvo said and was in tears, he knew his two grandkids were long gone.

Before I took their soul, they asked for a death's pardon to let them stay with them until he accepts their death. They never survived that accident. Mr. Salvo accepted this truth in a deep and sad manner. Tears fell in his eyes as he watched his two grandkids say goodbye.

"Thanks for understanding Pop, thanks for everything... " Kaido thankfully said.

“I am sorry Pops, we never survived that incident, thank you", Kyoto also said thankfully.

"It's okay my little grandkids, you've done good, you may now rest", tears fall in the eyes of the old man, it was a sad moment he accepted this truth in his heart.

Whooshh...

 

The twin vanished and as I picked up the two souls, it was pure, warm and heavy. It just means that there were no regrets nor wasted time and memories in their life. The sad fact is that they died too young, too pure and too humble.

*Tik-tok-tik-tok (Time-lapse)*

December 22, when two body teenagers were found near the sea-bay. Police identified that it was the body of Kaido and Kyoto. Fate seems to help not revealing their death until the twins say goodbye.

*Tik-tok-Tik-tok (Time-lapse)*

December 23, everybody was busy buying in Mr. Salvo Store, Christmas was near. Then the same bearded- guy approached him.

"It seems that your grandkids were teasing you again", the bearded-guy thought that it would be good if he does not tell this old man of what happens, then he smiled again.

"I already knew they were gone, I came to attend the cremation yesterday, thank you for your consideration ", the old man smiled.

" I am sorry, we only do our best to ease your pain and to comfort you", the bearded guy apologized.

"We saw every day that you smile even you're kids were not with you, you always smile like they were still there, so we pretended that we still see them to ease your heart"

Mr. Ray was in tears, he always bought in this store for years, he always sees the smile of the twins and Mr. Salvo. It hurts him that two smiles vanished leaving a smile with Mr. Salvo alone again... Then it was the death's pardon time to be expired .

Ssssshhhhh .....

The hourglass was dropping to its end. Death's pardon does end and Mr. Salvo’s death pardon was dropping and was near its end.

*Thug * Mr. Salvo collapsed in his shop, people immediately grabbed him and called the emergency, his vision was becoming a blur and vivid, then he lost consciousness.

*Tik-tok-Tik-tok (Time-lapse)*

It was December 24, 10:45 pm, Mr. Salvo woke up in the hospital bed. The first thing he saw was a bright bulb light above his bed, then he felt a warm feeling in his hands. It was his son Arthur who was holding his hand. And the grandchildren of Mr. Salvo, children of Arthur; Jay, Kim, Luna and the youngest Elmer were there too standing in the back of their father.

"Dad, I am sorry for the kids and for not coming when you need me ", Arthur deeply apologized and wept, he deeply regrets not spending time with his father, when his dad needed him.

I can say everybody was good and does regret when you are nearing your end.

Arthur changed and regrets when his father was in the last time of his life. He holds his father's right hand.

"It is OK son, I always forgive you, you are my son after all ", his father spoke.

Then he noticed the star in the Christmas tree inside the hospital.

"We brought your Christmas tree, I know it holds a special memory to you, we are celebrating Christmas here with you dad", Arthur smiled.

"Ahhhh... I see ", Mr. Salvo smiled and cried not because of sadness but because of joy. That at last, his Christmas was complete. It was December 24th and death's pardon had now ended but I gave him a little bonus.

It was the night of Christmas, December 25, when Mr. Salvo finally drew his last breath.

He saw Arthur his son, crying and holding his hand. Jay, Luna and Kim, his grandkids weeping on the back of their father. Kaido and Kyoto smiled at him and Margarette on their back who silently said thank you.

“Beep Beep -” the machine tells that the old man now rests in peace.

As the old man died, I was sure he saw me, he looked at me and smiled when he drew his last breath. He died peaceful and full of satisfaction in his soul, his soul was bright, pure and heavy. The soul of a man died in a fulfilling life. A soul that is worthy of death's pardon. He saw his wife when I delivered him to the afterlife. He saw his wife as a child when they are still in their childhood days, they together watch the image of the sunset in the wide grass field. Then he saw me again, not a figure of light nor death but on the image of a child, he saw death as a child who represents life. Truly the eyes of a man were the window of the soul, it tells how pure a person is, he saw death as a hidden meaning of life, humanly as he could. I was death, every person I visit does die, it was fate that decides to end them, I was there to obey that. Death is inevitable, not anyone can gain a death's pardon. It is only given to those who seek chance, to those who make a mark in his/her life as a pure one. To those who need a chance, to those who are challenged by fate, and to those who love and importantly, to those souls who make me amaze how wonderful and mysterious life is, that even death cannot understand.

 THE END.

*Written By Purple-Grimm*

This was a one-shot chapter, a short story  I have written few years ago, tell me your feedback and story review.

1