Ch3. Raven
784 5 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I reached my destination just as the first flakes of snow started to descend. Now that I wasn’t consumed with hunger, I could see that it was a large mausoleum. I do have to say it was masterfully crafted with perfectly cut unblemished stone and mesmerizing rippling patterns. I kind of feel bad now for blasting the door out, but I guess I could fix it. After admiring the craftsmanship for a second before stepping over the fallen door and entering the structure. The inside was just as well-crafted as the outside, but it was completely lacking in decoration with its only occupant being the large coffin I woke up in. I threw the deer off my shoulder and brushed the hair off my tattered cloak before heading back out to gather firewood.

The snow was really starting to pick up now, but it was nothing I couldn’t handle. The trees in the vicinity were unsuitable for firewood so I moved deeper until I found large dead pine that appeared to have been struck by lightning. This would work, I raised my claws and gave it a few slashes until the tree started to crack and lean, and with one last jab, it gave one last sway before falling. With a loud thud, it slammed into the grown sending snow and bark alike to go flying, I walked over and grabbed the middle of the tree, and slowly applied presser until it snapped in half. Moving a tree through a dense forest with an intact tree is near impossible without leaving signs so I was going to break it into manageable sections, and after a few more alterations, I was ready to head back.

Now the snow was starting to descend with a vengeance which I don’t mind, I actually love watching the small flakes dance around. I grabbed four large logs of wood and an armful of branches before venturing off into the sea of white. Despite the low visibility, I could still easily navigate myself back using memory and the flow of magic. After a bit of navigation, I arrived back, the stone structure was starting to be incased in snow, and judging by just how much is covering It I estimate that it will be completely snowed in after a couple of hours. I was greeted by a mass of snow. I sighed and rubbed my bottom jaw; it seems I forgot to snowproof the door. No matter though, I waved my hand slightly causing a gust of wind to flood through and blow out the snow. Next, I began to weave a barrier across the door to prevent such a thing from happening again, with that done I moved to start setting up the fire.

_______________________

With the fire done and the deer dethawing, I sat at the door and gazed out into the flurry of snow absentmindedly. I do not know how I ended up in this place, but I have to say that the peace was a nice change of pace. I stretched and popped my neck before turning back to the waterlogged deer beside me, well I guess calling it a deer wouldn’t really fit. It had sharp teeth and forward-facing eyes as well as strong hindquarters and a thick hide, an interesting animal to say the least. Looks like it’s ready to be cooked, I withdrew my dagger and began to prep it by skinning and gutting it before grabbing a nice piece of shoulder muscle which I snacked on while preparing the rest. Soon I had a few wooden skewers cooking and releasing a pleasant aroma causing my mouth to water.

After a few mind-numbing minutes, I couldn’t help myself and grabbed one of the skewers and ate it whole along with the wood. It was divine, juicy, and bloody with a slight searing on the outside, just how I like it. I grabbed another one but this time I savored it, it’s been a while since I sat down and carefully cooked my food, and man did, I miss it. Soon the previous skewers were gone, and a new set replaced them. Now with my mind a little clearer I got up and grabbed the dagger from the place I tossed it and gave it a careful look over. The metal was a soft white with black lines running the edges in a sharp-angled pattern, the pommel was made with the same metal and had a familiar symbol deeply engraved on each side. The symbol consisted of a sphere surrounded by six pairs of feathered wings, I sighed as I traced the figure with a claw, it was the symbol of the fallen. I was a bit confused by this development, last I checked we were on good terms with each other so why was one of their daggers in my chest.

I couldn’t jump to conclusions though, it could be a setup or a misunderstanding, jumping to conclusions is not something a wise man should do. I sheathed the dagger in my belt along with my own and sat back down by the fire in thought, suddenly a small movement beside me caught my attention. A small raven, I think, sat at the corner of the door shivering and staring at the skewers of meat hovering above the fire, poor thing probably was ambushed by the sudden blizzard. No harm in helping it out a bit, I grabbed a skewer and gently tossed it over causing the bird to step back and extend its wings in fright before realizing it was food and pouncing on it. I watched the bird eat with gusto in amusement before turning back to my own food. Soon I was distracted again by a small chirping coming from beside me, the little bird was sitting by the empty skewer and looking at me with beady red eyes. Intrigued now I tossed over my last skewer and saw it almost inhale the meat off the stick.

I have a discord if you want to join https://discord.gg/BkUP7Eg2WJ

35