Ch5. Mistake
647 8 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV shift-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My panicked footsteps were the only thing that sounded out within this silent forest, I have been running for I don’t know how long. I can’t stop now because those bastards were close behind me. Despite my extensive knowledge of this forest I still seem to be unable to shake those bandits but, I did not lose hope. I can feel the patron spirit ahead of me guiding my steps and soon I should be safe. The snow was falling heavily which I hoped would cover the traces I left behind, but they still seemed to be able to track me down easily.

I quickly came upon the clear water stream which told me that I had to be close. I took a stop despite the danger; I had run day and night trying to escape my pursuers and despite the help from a benevolent spirit I was on my last legs. I dropped to my knees on the riverbank and started to greedily drink the freezing water, but I was interrupted by a weird feeling coming from up ahead. I drank a few more handfuls of water before dumping my waterskin, once it was full, I put my gloves back on and stumbled towards the source of the feeling.

My knees were weak, and my breathing was heavy, but I know that whatever this feeling was it was the path to safety. Soon I came across the apparent source of my feeling, a large barren circle of dirt completely devoid of snow. I clasped my hands together and thanked the spirits, it had to be a sign that I was close. I wanted so badly to run across it, but I needed to pay my respects less I anger my savior. I dropped to my knees and pressed my lips to the snow just outside the circle before getting up and carefully sidestepping it only to come across another sign. I hadn’t noticed it before due to all my attention being drawn to the circle but close by was a small pile of carefully placed river stones.

The top stone had an unknown symbol drawn in what looked like black ink on it, I was worried about what it meant but since it was placed beside the blessed ground I paid the same respects to it as well. I had trouble rising back to my feet due to my muscles failing me but as soon as I was back up I started sprinting as fast as I can with my tired body towards the direction I hoped would be the best.
………
Its been what has felt like miles since I had found the blessed ground, but I had failed to come across anything and I was losing hope. The snow was falling harder now, and my extremities were freezing, I need to stop and warm myself up, but I fear that the smoke will draw in the bandits, so I decided to use a different method. I found a big stone that I hoped was suitable and started to dig out a tunnel before throwing myself into it and covering the entrance. I curled up and started praying for help before feeling myself slowly losing consciousness, my last feeling before sleep consumed me was worry

POV shift----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Come on, we have to be close by now,” Deadlaf roared,
I sighed and trudged on; we were all so tired from tracking that slippery shaman deep into this cursed forest. The only reason we were able to keep up was because of the prepared snowshoes and poles, but even then, we were lagging behind by a bit of distance. I looked over at David and saw he was just as exasperated as me. I looked up at the dark sky and saw that it was, thankfully, starting to clear up and, hopefully, it will disperse enough so we can actually see the sun. Soon we began to hear flowing water and after a bit of debate between Deadlaf and Ferdinand, it was decided we will take a break and fill our water skins.

And what a break it was, the opportunity to let my legs rest and eat was almost divine and on top of that, we also found fresh tracks telling us we were almost there. With our stomachs warm and full we were able to press on with more vigor than before and soon Deadlaf, an excellent tracker and the leader of our little group found a weird ritual site, a large barren circle of dirt, and a small stone pile. Sahona, a hired spiritualist, claimed that the circle was a product of a resident spirit and should not be touched while the pile of stones looked like someone’s attempt at contacting the creator of the circle.
“It is in my opinion that this is probably Aria’s attempt at contacting a spirit presumably for help,” Sahona said in a neutral tone.

I swear this woman is so creepy, almost seems like she has no emotion whatsoever, not even when that lecherous bastard, David, eyes her. But besides that, this is a worrisome development. The rest of the group obviously thought the same and soon Ferdinand spoke up,

“Can we stop that contact or maybe do something else?” Sahona gave him her signature deadpan look before responding, “Yes, in fact, there is a solution and a very easy one at that. All you need to do,” she paused and pointed at the pile of stones, “is knock that over.”

Deadlaf gave me a look I understood well, and I walked over to the pile and kicked it over. Huh, she wasn’t kidding when she said it was easy. I looked back and gave Deadlaf a thumbs up before walking back to the group.

“Alright, let’s get back to it before we lose her tracks to the snow,” Deadlaf said before leading the way.

Looks like our day isn’t over yet, I sighed and began the monotonous hike through the forest once again.

A/N- I'm thinking about posting the rewrite on the original page along with the original chapters. Tell me what you think

25