Ch62. A Sinner
184 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV shift---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I could feel my skin starting to shift as we approached our camp. It’s been almost two days of twiddling my thumbs in the sun and being stuck in a very restrictive skin. It would now only take a momentary lap in concentration for my form to shift noticeably. Not to mention that I was starving from the lack of food and constantly being tantalized by the constant sense of weakness permeating the air. How long has it been since I’ve had to maintain a disguise like this? Probably not that long ago, but still, I feel a bit rusty.

 

Magic coin, magic coin, show me something I can hunt. With a flick and a ting, the coin sailed up, paused as if in thought, and went flying to the side. I narrowed my senses down and zoned onto a small valley nearby. Even with the mask dulling my senses, I could see traces of something big moving through. I will keep that in mind. I scouted out the area a day before and found nothing of the sort in that valley.

 

I grabbed the silver coin off the ground, it had landed on its edge, and resumed our approach. Bringing my mind back at hand, I grabbed the burlap bags of corn flour we found in an abandoned camp and tossed them to the side. I took out a large pot I had found and filled it with some water from the spirit realm. By using the many polearms and spears as firewood, I soon produced a sizable flame. Despite our innate dislike of each other, I have found that our relationship has grown a bit closer after I rekindled the first flame. It no longer tried to burn me at least, and it even has begun to respond to my calls.

 

Curious, I took off my glove before placing my hand into the blaze, causing it to lick at my fingers benignly. This was new to me. I brought my hand back out and winced when the hunger went berserk. All right, despite us getting over our differences, the hunger still seemed like a spiteful toddler. I didn’t understand their hatred for each other though, they’re both very similar. The most I could come up with is that fire was not purely destructive like the hunger was. In fact, fire was often very beneficial. Maybe I could improve their relationship by showing them just how similar they are. I took out my journal and noted down that I should really go burn something down.

 

Who knows, maybe I could convince the hunger to do something good for once. I snickered lightly at the thought. Maybe then, finally, I can eat cooked meat. Though I have grown to like raw flesh, it is still nice to change things up every now and then. I put the pot on the flame and began tossing in ingredients. One pot should be enough for forty men, so I need around three. While I waited for that to boil, I moved my attention to the slowly growing mound of spear and poleaxe heads. It would be a shame to just leave these out here to rust, but what could I do with them?

 

When the soup began to boil, I pulled out all the wooden boils I could find. I was forced to stop what I was doing when a group of certainly not injured soldiers approached threateningly. The group of marry men had their weapons by their side and swaggered up like they ran the place. I debated on ending them right then and there but decided to hear them out first. The leading man had some nice pristine armor on, without a dent or scratch on it. “I’ve heard much about you, Mr…” he gestured towards me after the pause but did not receive a reply from me, “Not a talkative one, are you?”

 

My student jumped out of the cart after trying in vain to scrub the bloodstains. She gave the men a look before approaching the fire to stand next to me. “You will have to excuse my teacher’s silence; he has a throat injury that impedes his speech. What can I help you fine gentlemen with?”

 

The lead man shifted in confusion, “Oh, so you are master and apprentice, correct?”

 

“You are correct. Now pardon my rudeness but we have important matters to attend to. So please, can you get to the point?”

 

“Yes, yes, sorry about that, I was just shocked that you were still an apprentice. From what my men said back there, they made it sound like you were a master. I have come to give you thanks from the kingdom of Kelmot, and thanks from the Adle family for saving my uncle.”

 

Ha, knew it, he was a nobleman. With a modest bow, my student accepted the thanks. She bowed with fluidity and without hesitation but made sure not to bow too deeply. Seems my student has had some lessons and experience in etiquette. The Adle boy smiled and went to say something else when Guillemot appeared at his shoulder and shook him affectionately, “This here is my nephew, Eike Clarkson Adle,” I could see Eike flinch when Guillemot practically forced his head down into a bow.

 

“He has just informed me that a nearby Kelmot fort is being sieged. He was on his way to provide reinforcements when he stopped by to look for extra equipment and food. I must apologize for his rudeness Sr. physician.” He emphasized the Sr and glanced back at Eike to make sure he hammered home his point.

 

I did have the feeling that this Eike kid did not have the best intentions earlier. Seems Guillemot came to prevent my opinion of them getting soured. I drew in a deep breath and realized this boy reeked of sin. I could barely stop myself from going for the kill. The makeshift spoon in my hand shattered as my body tensed. Out of respect for Guillemot, I refrained from doing anything after that.

A/N- Sorry for missing so many days.

Remember to comment on what you want to see next. Also leave a like!

9