Que Sera Sera II – Eva POV
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I think I've bagged more than fifty cans today."

"Really? Damn. I guess everyone's stocking up on canned foods, cause of the pandemic."

"I guess so." I sigh and lean back against the counter.

"Hey Eva!" I turn and see my twin plodding towards me.

"Hey, whats up?"

"You know Kristy? I just saw her doing something by your bike."

"What? She was by my baby?" My mind flashes to my sleek, black and red beauty of a bike. "I just saw her head out. I'll check it out on my break."

Not hearing a reply, I look up and find him talking to Jason about something. Well so much for listening while others are talking. Rude. I give an exasperated sigh and shake my head.

Three hours later I finally bag my last can of beans.

"I hate beans. Why does everyone buy beans?"

"Don't blame the beans. It's not their fault people want to eat them." I roll my eyes and walk over to the lockers where I consolidate my clothes, bag, and keys. I throw on my dark T-shirt, put my uniform in my bag, and walk out to the parking lot.

"Lima beans, mung beans, kidney beans...damn, why are there so many beans. I need to stop thinking about beans! No, what I need is my mocha-"

Distinctive against the black of my baby's sleek leather seat is a white sheet of paper, hastily taped on. I reach for it, it's a slightly crumpled, twice folded sheet of notebook paper. I open it and smoothen it out.

Call me when you have the chance. -Kristy

For a second my mind blanks. Is she asking me out? Nah, girl why is that your first thought? Damn, I bet it's Nani's fault. She's been going on and on about her romance novels.

Shaking my head, I pull out my phone and make the call.

"Hey Kristy."

"Hey."

"Um, I got your note. What's up?"

"Oh, well my friend and I were doing this survey about people's thoughts towards the LGBTQ community. So, I was just wondering if you'd mind sharing yours."

"Oh, I'm very supportive. I have friends in the community."

Silence. "You have friends?"

"Yeah...? What-" Beep.

"Did she just...?"

Ping! I glance down at my phone. Ping! Ping!

I'm sorry for hanging up on you.

It's just, I'm pansexual.

So I just wanted to check and see if you were straight or not...which you are...ha, ha.

Sorry, I just-

Sorry.

See you at work tomrw!

My eyes widen and I stand there frozen for a moment.

"Ping!" I look down again.

When are you coming home? It's mom. I type a quick reply, hit send, get on my baby, and speed away.

The next day I walk in through the sliding doors. It's a Thursday so my friend Asha came with me since she's working too. At 4PM in the afternoon she's chattering like a machine gun while I fight a losing battle to keep my eyelids open after 90 minutes of Calc.

"...and then I was like, seriously why? Oh! And did you know, we had beans for dinner-"

"Please don't mention that word."

"Huh? What word?"

"I-'' She's there, at the checkout counter, her short blond curls slightly swaying as she curves down to pick up a bag. At that moment, she looks up and her baby blue orbs meet my darker ones. Her eyes widen. I feel my heart palpitating at a mile a minute. Look down, find something to look at. No that'll make it awkward! Argh, um, oh look that person's buying salad dressing, I need some. In that single moment of distraction, we pass the checkout counters and reach the cereal aisle.

"Eva?"

"Yeah, what's up?" For a moment Asha just stares at me. Then the corner of her eyes crinkle and she cracks up.

"Wow, I felt that tension!"

I roll my eyes and head into the locker rooms to change into my uniform.

0