When Battling a Beast Don’t Bring a Broom
37 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Warning: Sudden switch from third to first person. 

The air is dry and stagnant. It's not like in the forest where the air is heavy with moisture and a passing breeze caresses your face. Even if I was in my hut with the door tightly closed, the air wouldn't be this dry. Then it's the scent that hits me. Its musky and strange, not sweet or fresh as it is in the jungle. Finally, it's the sound that strikes me, a low grumbling growl as if a beast is watching its prey. I feel my heart clench, I'm not prey. But it's strange, the noise indicates a beast but the air and scent don't seem to be from the forest. 

Fine, if touch, smell, and hearing doesn't work then the only option left is sight. However opening my eyes has the risk of alerting the beast to my presence. 

"Grrrrrr...."

Forget it, it's better to alert the enemy than be defenseless. I snap my eyes open. As expected, it's not the familiar blue sky that greets my eyes, nor is it the rough, wood ceiling of my hut. It's dark and looks rather like the roof of a cave in the forest I once found for shelter. Like in the cave it's dark and I have to squint to see.

"Grrrrr..." 

I whirl around at the sound to see...a large dark lump. The lump is a deep, dark violet, somewhat like the fruit belonging to a strange bush I found in the forest. I wasn't sure whether it was edible so Heroe and I simply played around with the juice, painting our faces ad bodies purple. I pause. Heroe. How is he now? Did those people get to him? Is he okay? What happene-

"Grrrrr...."

I jerk back towards the lump. Is it a beast? It doesn't look like any I've seen before. What could it possibly be? I reach out a hand-then I see something white and strange in front of me. I freeze and stare at it. It's a hand. But it's a hand that's whiter than any I've ever seen. Even Heroe's skin can't compare to how pale this hand is. Plus, it's tiny, like a little child's hand. I pull my arm back, the white hand moves back. I freeze again. What? Why...

I move my hand to the right, the white hand moves to the right. I move to the left, it moves left. How...? Could it be, those people used some dye to dye me white? But why? And how would I become small, that's impossible...

My mind races through the possibilities as I pull my body into a sitting position. It's strangely strenuous. I've always been strong, used to jumping along trees, swimming through the forest lake, ...etc. What is this?

Then, I glance down at my feet. Sure enough, there's a pair of feet as pale as the hands with tiny pink nails curled into tiny pink crescents. Oh Deus, what in the world should I-

"Grrrrr..." I jerk forward, startled from my thoughts. How could I have allowed myself to become distracted?! There's a beast! I glance back over to the dark violet mound. Shall I approach it? Well naturally I shouldn't startle it, however...a tide of impulsivity, curiosity, and reckless confidence surges within me and I hope to the ground, my feet poised elegantly to be light and soundless as I've learned to do from the large cats of the forest-only to crumple at my knees when my weak, seemingly unused limbs are unable to support my weight. Great, not only are they pearly white hence, useless for camouflaging but they're also useless at their intended purposes as well. I have this last thought as I plunge straight for the violet lump. 

I slam face first into the object which is...rather soft and squishy? It's certainly softer than any of the clothes I've worn. Yet, underneath the soft material I feel something firm and warm, there's certainly a living creature here. Well, I've already died once. Honestly though, at least that time it was for a noble purpose but this time...ah Deus, am I truly fated to go out in such an ignoble manner? First, the monkey gets the best of me, now this? Yet as I have these mocking and seemingly resigned thoughts, I jerk back a safe distance from the object, my hands (albeit weak) poised for combat.

The object is still and the noise it was previously making has vanished. No doubt about it, I've startled whatever the creature is. Slowly the lump shifts then...unravels? That shouldn't be right, yet that is exactly what happens as the lump unravels to reveal a...woman? The berry color was from the strange garb she's wearing, a cloth softer than anything I've ever seen pooling around her. Her face is darker than pearly white, yet it's easy lighter than any of the other villagers'.

Even her facial features are different, more petite, less full and proud. Her eyes flicker open and I jerk back: her eyes are the same berry color as her strange clothes. How is that possible?

She blinks for a moment, then speaks. "Oh, you're awake?" I stare at her lips moving, making some strange noises. What is she doing? Is she really a beast taking on the form of a human? I tighten my defensive stance. She steps towards me and instantly I jerk back. 

"I don't want to hurt you." More noises. Once again, she steps forward and I step back, ready to spring forward in offense or spring back in defense. Considering that she's a thoroughly foreign creature, jumping back is naturally the smarter option and if I were with Heroe I'd easily take that option. However, right now I'm on my own and I've never been a coward. I eye the creature and she stares back at me, furrowing her brows. I say "her" since it carries a shape with a mild resemblance to an old woman but...

"What the heck, can he not understand me? They didn't tell me this would happen!" 

The creature increases her volume and stomps her foot, she's likely to attack any minute now. I scan my surroundings for any sharp objects I can use. I find something slender and sharp looking and I instantly grab it. 

"Ah? Why did you grab my pen? Okay, this isn't going to work." 

I ready myself, holding the sharp object out in front of me, my eyes tracking her every move.

"Alright that's it." The creature steps forward and I pounce, raising my weapon up high.

THWACK! Ah, I missed the fact that the creature was clutching a weapon of her own...That's my last conscious thought.

Change of POV

A certain purple cloaked witch peers down at the boy she just accidentally wacked with her broomstick. 

"Well...I guess I'd better figure out what to do." She sighs. "Tch! I wanted an apprentice, instead I got...sigh..."

Hi, if you've read this from when I first updated it you know that it's been on hiatus for a while. Here's my explanation. I started this story and then I was stuck on how to continue it so I stopped writing. Recently, I've started another BL story "Young Master". That story takes place in the same universe however, it's in the future when Orfo in this new body is all grown up...so I guess it's a sequel. Regardless, I'm very invested in that story, it's already been 23 chapters and I intend to finish it (Orfo only makes his debut in chapter 23 in case you go looking for him in that story).

Writing that story, actually made me want to continue this one since they're set in the same universe. However, I'm unsure of my ability to juggle both novels at the same time. I'm definitely writing that one but as for this one, either I'll manage to actually update, update occasionally, or updates will have to wait. Basically, there are no promises. If you'd like to read that one instead of waiting for this one, I'm just throwing this out there.

On another note, the first person change in this chapter is to signal that our mc is out of the book where he's a cannon fodder. I also love first person so I intend to keep it that way (except for occasional POV changes like above). If you don't like first person you can check out "Young Master" which is entirely third person, or allow me the opportunity to give you a display of the charms of first person XD

Note: I will actually try to update this (especially now that "Young Master" has given me an idea of where this should go) but no promises.

2