Chapter 2 – Remi – Prologue
118 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Remi required a soul. His representative needed the ability to think and act as it saw fit, however it was unwise to tear the soul out of one creature and place it into an entirely different container. Doing such a thing would likely harm the soul as it wouldn't be capable of adapting to such an abrupt change.

 

Rather than extract a soul and transmigrate it, Remi instead decided to re-purpose what was already broken or incomplete. His mind traveled to one of his larger worlds where he observed an army at war.

 

Magic incantations were invoked pouring hell and ice upon their opponent. Archers released their arrows, each empowered through Qi, sending them into the body of their target. Each strike gouging wounds from their impact and energy.

 

Standing at the front of the army, encircling a behemoth creature made of slime and acid were a series of Knights from a particular Holy Order. Their shields were powered by holy magic and their Qi reinforced their bodies, deflecting each strike from the one of the many behemoth's tentacles.

 

Explosions rippled the gooey flesh of the beast which retaliated with magic of its own. Driven by instinct alone, the slime invoked multiple magics of different elements tearing the ground up around it and raining hell on the army assaulting it.

 

"Surround it! Fire again! We can't let the damn thing escape again!"

 

The commander of the army relayed his orders through a glowing talisman. They finally surrounded one of the Demon Lords, he had no intention of letting the creature go. Of all the Demon Lords,this slime was the most destructive.

 

Unable to be reasoned with or talked to, it existed as if its only purpose in life were to consume whatever it came across. Their world agreed to cease fires and even received the assistance of other Demon Lords to put the creature down. Such cooperation across enemies only served to exemplify the danger posed by the beast.

 

Qi and Mana empowered arrows launched from enchanted bows tore into the slime's body. The arrows only penetrated a couple meters in, yet were forced to detonate early as the corrosive gel inside the slime ate away at the protections surrounding each arrow.

 

Each explosion tossed chunks of gelatinous mass through the air, slowly eating away at the behemoth body. As the war continued, the Demon Lord began to slow down. Mana exhaustion prevented it from casting magic constantly and the damage accruing across its body drained what little stamina it had left.

 

The Holy Order of Knights shrank the circumference of their net until they reached an optimal area. The Knights focused their Qi preventing any tentacle from lashing out and breaking their formation. The circulated their mana and pushed it into their shields triggering the formation laying within.

 

The shields connected together with a bright light which rose to the sky. Engaged within this purifying beam of light, the Demon Lord Slime wriggled in pain. Without any stamina nor mana to fight back with, it did the only thing it could and moved desperately to consume the individuals making up the formation.

 

Its instincts drove it to consume, yet the holy beam prevented it from breaching the perimeter. It slammed the barrier repeatedly, yet the Holy Knights held strong. Their formation kicked into its second stage and black vapor started escaping the Demon Lord.

 

It felt its body drying out and its instinctual thoughts grew dull. Remi watched the fight and at the instant of the Demon Lord's final moment, Remi reaped its soul. He left behind the soulless body that was crumbling apart under the effects of the Holy beam.

 

As he pulled his consciousness from site, he smiled at the new soul in his possession. His mind wandered to the next point.

 

Floating within the vast emptiness of space was an asteroid converted into a habitable station. Walking through the aisles, sleeping, cleaning, working out, and studying were the same person. Rather, it was a series of clones.

 

Light red hair that sagged just past the shoulders, medium height, and pitch black eyes engineered for long term space travel adorned each of these women. Within the station, near the main control system stood a series of these women, each discussing with the other on their experiment.

 

"Last firing didn't show the results we predicted."

 

"That's fine, we haven't turned it up to full power yet. There's still a chance."

 

"She knew that 005. The problem is that none of our predictions matched the measurements."

 

"Even so, we'll try again. We've run the numbers multiple times and it pans out. We just have to reach high enough power. Once the particles become energetic enough, the ring should start breaking apart and stabilizing the quarks and gluons we inject in."

 

"Then we should try once more. How far should we step up the power this time?"

 

"Safety protocol dictates increments of 5 peta electron volts, however we won't reach our first reporting period at that rate."

 

"Should we go higher?"

 

"How high?"

 

"Straight to the goal."

 

"..."

 

The clone's comment drew the other women into silence. The ring they're running experiments with was designed with meta materials and rated for energies of up to 1 exa electron volt (EeV). The woman couldn't help but sound out the others.

 

"It's rated for 1 EeV... So let's run it at 1 EeV. There's safety limiters in place to shut it down if anything bad happens, and we won't have time to reach our theorized point before our scheduled time runs out."

 

The other women remained silent, however from their gazes dashing back and forth between each other, the outcome was clear.

 

"Fire her up. There's only a week left, we'll need as many runs as possible to gain sufficient evidence."

 

"Can do!"

 

Having decided on their course of action, the women took their spots in the control room. Switches flicked and buttons were pressed bringing the antimatter generators online and filling the ring with power.

 

Outside the asteroid, a massive ring hundreds of miles in diameter floated in space. Each flick of a switch brought a segment of the ring online and with it, particles inside were accelerated at an ever increasing rate.

 

The team soon passed 50 tera electron volts (TeV), yet they continued to boost the power further. Their monitors displayed all green across each of the rings functions even as they reached up towards 400 TeV.

 

Remi watched the experiment with curiosity, though he knew the results of their experiment already. His consciousness focused on the ring which started exhibiting strange behavior after the women reached 850 TeV.

 

The inner edges of the ring started showing signs of warping space as the massively accelerated particles began to drag on space-time itself. Unaware of the strange behavior, the women continued to inject further power reaching 950 TeV.

 

At this stage, the woman controlling the operation noticed the view in the gate warping. The bright planetoid aligned in the background just right with half of it shown inside the ring and the other outside appeared as if it were torn in half from the twisted space within the ring.

 

Too fascinated to halt the experiment, the ring reached 1 EeV. The twisted space within the ring seemed to crumple and tear from the inner edges of the ring. The twisting motion continued as space itself spiraled around the center of the ring.

 

The bundle of space focused at the center started breaking down and left what appeared to be an energetic substance of some sort. The results jolted the women to their feet in terror. The ring should have only affected the accelerated materials inside, not the space surrounding the ring.

 

"Shut it down!"

 

"No! If you kill power now, we don't know what affect that'll have on that thing!"

 

"Then what do we do? Its growing in size. We know nothing about that thing, we're not qualified to diffuse it."

 

The leader understood her clone's point and she happened to agree, however every second the ring remained powered was a second more the substance grew. She could only accept the results of their actions and hope for the best.

 

"Turn the power down slowly. 5 Tev at a time. Hopefully the substance will disperse without issue..."

 

Beads of sweat ran down the side of her face as she watched the ring power down. Space no longer seemed to be compressing after the team reached 850 TeV, however the substance showed no signs of dispersing. A feeling of excitement started rising within the woman as she allowed her imagination to run wild of what they discovered.

 

Unfortunately, her excitement was short lived as the ring passed the 800 TeV boundary. The material which acted stabled suddenly twitched and before she could warn her team not to drop the energy any further, the substance exploded.

 

Remi raced the explosive blast, reaping the leader's soul from her body a split second before the impact collided and wiped out the space station.

 

"With this, I need only one more soul."

4