Chapter 8: My Introduction
485 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Fun fact: Leaving a watermelon on a stranger’s doorstep is a fun and inexpensive way to occupy a corner of their mind forever.

As I left the path and Sol behind, there were more students around. I quickly became the centre of attention. The reaction was all shock, with thorny suspicion thrown into the mix. I can't let it bother me, however. Before I left her, Sol reminded me that the chairwoman (her grandma) wanted to speak to me before the ceremony began and pointed me in the direction. I hurriedly left her, and spurred on by awkwardness, walked as fast as I could to the school grounds. Eventually, the piercing stares made me break out into a dash.

I think I found her. She's a little old lady with a pair of rectangular rimless glasses. I have no way to confirm she's Sol's grandmother, other than the fact they had the same coloured eyes, and she looked important enough to be the chairwoman. She spotted me. Her wrinkly face seemed to be in a smile by default.

"So you're Seraph Thorne, then," she says in an old lady voice.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Yes, of course you are. You're the only man on the entire campus, after all. I should introduce myself. I am Rousenin, chairwoman of Vincennes' board. I've heard you've been a great help to my granddaughter." 

"I haven't at all, ma'am. She's been the one helping me."

"Really," the chairwoman said, practically oozing with scepticism. "She informed me that you saved her from ruffians. Really now... First, she's sneaking out of school, now she's assaulting gang members," she says, nodding her head with a prideful smile. "They grow up so fast. Ah, Seraph, my lad. Has she told you why she clapped that bandit's face?" I shake my head. She became very disappointed. "Boo," she denounced her own granddaughter and clicked her tongue. "Well, I guess if she won't say, then I won't either. She could've won a lot of points from you, too. Such a pity. I've also heard you saved her from 'ruffians' before that, as well." What? When did I do - oh, she means the Guardienne. I feel heat rush to my cheeks in embarrassment and hide my face in my scarf.

"No, those were school security."

"But you didn't know that at the time, did you?" That really doesn't make a difference, ma'am. I had already decided that the first thing I would do once I was free to roam around campus was to find the four guards I met that night and apologize. It feels like shit to have someone intentionally interrupt you while you're just trying to do your job. I would know. "You appear to be quite pure of heart. In the Sermon on the Mount, it was said that such people will see God." Me? Pure of heart? Looks like the dementia's starting to kick in with Ms Rousenin. On another matter, something has seriously been bugging me.

"Ma'am, may I ask a question?" I ask her.

"You already have," she says with a large grin. She laughs to herself, giving a small victorious fist pump. I have to admit: it was hilarious. "You can ask another one if you want."

"Am I seriously the only guy on campus?" 

"Yep," She confirms, without any concern for my concern. Oh God, these girls are going to kill me. "There are going to be many inconveniences along the way, but you'll just have to bear with them. Sorry, lad. Now let's go." The chairwoman turned towards the gymnasium. "The opening ceremony is about to begin. Would you mind waiting in the green room?"

"Not at all, ma'am."

"I'll begin by introducing you, then when I tell you to come out on stage, you can introduce yourself." 

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good lad." The chairwoman gave a slight nod, and I followed her to the green room. "Ah, before I forget. My granddaughter told me something about you losing a lottery ticket." Oh no. I know where this is going.

"No. Forget it."

"Good. Two hundred million is far too much for me to provide. It hardly makes up for it, but I'll do everything I can to make sure your school life here is comfortable."

"...Now, let's have a quick introduction from the man himself. Seraph, come this way, please." It seems that my time has come. In order to survive this ordeal, I shut off most of my brain. I swear, my amygdala is going to be the death of me someday. I walk to the chairwoman's side at the podium. Hundreds of eyes are staring straight through me. I was prepared for something like this moment since my first day here, so I've been practising a speech. I needed something that had little room for error and something that I could easily memorize. If I just threw myself off the deep end with this, I'd probably pass out in the best-case scenario. The chairwoman turned the microphone toward me. Sleepless nights of mental image training and even a bit of vocal training have all led up to this moment. This is it, Seraph. Be clear and concise! 

"Ah... Hi..." I was so nervous I couldn't even recognize my voice through the speakers. But regardless, I did it. I made it through the entire one-word speech. Where's my cookie? I deserve one. Don't look at me like you're expecting anything more than that, ma'am. Just saying that two-letter word drained me of all of my energy. I cannot manage anything more than that. I did good, okay? Stop looking at me like that! I step back from the microphone and let the chairwoman take back her place and address her people.

"...Thank you, Seraph... I encourage you to interact with the transfer student as much as you can. That goes for you as well, Seraph. Don't be shy. Make yourself a lot of girlfriends." Sorry ma'am, but my two orders are impossible to complete. "Would the officers of the Blue Lily and Red Rose societies please report to my office after school? That is all." The chairwoman turned to leave the stage, and I sheepishly followed after her. As I leave, I take a quick look around the gym. The aura I was getting from the girls assembled there was anything but a friendly one. They've all failed the vibe check. I'm certainly not making any friends soon. 

12