Chapter 26: Anticipation
252 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Fun fact: Mt. Everest isn't actually a mountain. It's just a really big hill, I think.

I wake up from my nap as the bus pulled into the stop in front of Vincennes Private Girls' Academy. I applaud my circadian rhythm in my heart. I've always had a talent for waking up when I want to, and even after today's events, this nap was no exception. It wasn't quite nine o'clock yet, so we hadn't missed the gates. Through some secret means, Sol was able to control when the gates would open and close. As if the gate knew we were here, it opened as soon as Chloe and I stepped off the bus, and we quickly slipped in. 

"Goodness..." Chloe breathed out as we entered school grounds. "Vincennes really is hard to deal with. I never expected anything like this when I enrolled-"

"Affiliates!" I spontaneously yell out, startling and confusing Chloe. "I completely forgot." I turn to Chloe. "Uh, Sol wanted to recruit you for the, uh... the Blue Lily society. You can't join officially, but they're apparently allowing affiliates, like Painmangeur and Sapphire"

"Me?" Chloe asks in disbelief. "She'd accept a final course tourist?"

"I think it's because you're a final course tourist?" I tell her, uncertainly. "Like, it'll change how people will look at tourists because you're cool, or something." 

Chloe mulls over the idea. "...Okay," she says, stopping in her tracks. "Then, lets shake to the mending of our friendship." She smiles at me, holding out her hand. I don't exactly see the point, but maybe since Chloe is... prone to powerful emotions... she felt the ceremonial gesture was necessary. I took Chloe's hand firmly to assert dominance, because that is what you do in handshakes. I don't know what I was expecting, but for someone who carries a mean slap, her hand was a lot smaller and softer than I was expecting.

Wait a second. What's with the déjà vu? Oh shit, that's right. I remember something like this from the end of chapter 7! Sol held her hand out! This is what she wanted! A handshake! It all makes sense now!


"Welcome home, you two." Who do I see waiting for us in front of the dormitory to greet us back with a beaming smile? None other than Painmangeur, of course! Sapphire is there, too. "As for how it went..." she looked at us both and giggled. "I believe I can surmise. I shall inquire as to the details tomorrow. Now, come this way." Sapphire beckoned us, and led us around to the back of the dorm. There was a veranda there; our way of entry, since the front doors are locked at this time of night. 

Sapphire had told me that there are rooms designated to people who want to sneak in and out of the dormitory after curfew. 'I am told this is a Vincennes tradition from long before we were born,' she explained with a giggle. 'Even with a new building, the tradition continues. It's really terribly entertaining. But the teachers really do know. After all, many of them are former alumnae. But as they themselves were once in the same position, their tacit acceptance is also a tradition. The teachers have their own stories, too. When I first heard of Sister Clementine's exploits, I could barely contain my excitement.' What the fuck has Sister Clementine done?! Should I be curious or scared? 'I guess this school isn't as uptight as I thought,' I say, showing that I'm listening to my conversation partner. I'm getting good at this, if I do say so myself. 'That is true,' Sapphire agreed. 'It would be difficult to live here for so many years if it were not so.'

"...Ah." As we arrived at the veranda, Sapphire came to a sudden halt, as if realizing she had just forgotten something.

"What's the matter?" Chloe asks her.

"Seraph, please hide your eyes."

"What? Why?" I start to panic a little. I like my vision. I don't want to get rid of it.

"It is still a girl's room," Sapphire tells me. "You would not wish to give offense." Damn! She's got me there.

I reluctantly shut my eyes tight and cover them with my right hand. I make sure to keep my bandaged hand in my pocket, so one of the girls was forced to guide me inside by my arm. They didn't suspect a thing. Once we were in the hallway, we said our goodbyes and I went straight to my room. I really want to go to sleep, but there are a few things I must take care of.

Firstly, my scarf. It's stained with my own blood. It's an easy fix, though. My room has something called a 'washing machine' that make washing clothes astronomically easier than doing it by hand. All I have to do is throw in the scarf, some detergent and push a button. With a wham, a bam and a 'thank you, ma'am,' my scarf is as good as new! God, I LOVE this machine!

Secondly, the bandages on my hand. It's noticeable and hard to explain, but it's an easy fix. I undo the bandages and chuck them in the bin. All I need are two band-aids. I slap on band-aid on top of my hand, and another one on my palm. They're hardly noticeable since they kind of blend in with my skin. If someone does notice them, I can just say I got bit by a mosquito and scratched the bite till it bled. 

Thirdly, my ticket. I check my pockets to see if I still have it on me. I do. A tiny piece of paper claiming my right to a fortune. I'll be cashing this in, first thing tomorrow. For now, I just hide it in my drawer. Tomorrow I WILL be a millionaire, and pay off that debt. How much do I owe again? A measly ten million? How laughable, it's barely pocket change! I will sleep comfortably tonight, with the knowledge of how filthy rich I'll be in a few hours. 

12