Chapter 29
90 5 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two days have passed, with nothing new happening. The demons tried sending a few more bugs with no threads attached to them, but the result was always the same. All of them stopped as soon as they’ve crossed the portal and had to be pushed back.

On the third day, Hazelmere woke up early to replace Cybil, who stood watch on the stones overnight. Reaching the stones, she saw Cybil and the four soldiers guarding her bundled up inside the furs, trying their best to fight the sleep off.

Noticing Hazelmere, Cybil yawned: “There was some development out there, but I didn’t feel like waking you up for it. It didn’t look threatening, so I just observed what they were doing. Also, I had to activate the heating Peratha enchanted on the stone, since it got buried in that white ice.”

“Oh? Has something interesting happened?”

“Yes. They have sent bigger bugs this time and had them carry something across the portal.”

Slightly alarmed, Hazelmere took a look. She immediately noticed some alien objects placed very close to the magescope.

“They have placed these during the night?”

“Yes, but it was daytime on the other side, so they didn’t do it in the dark. After all, there is no way I would notice it otherwise. They had some new bugs, much bigger than before, take those objects across the portal and place them there. These bugs even had some arms with hands on them. Not people-like hands, of course. They had thin arms, like insects, which, at their end, had … hmm … I think those would be better described as claws. Yes, claws! Not hands. They used those claws to set up the instruments, or whatever those things are. They did it during the whole night, very slowly.”

“I see that those objects are also connected with the threads.”

“Yes. Those bigger bugs had the threads too.”

“Oh! Some of the objects are moving.”

“I bet some of them are golem-like constructs. They are probably using them to observe the area below the summit since they can’t see it from the portal.”

Hazelmere opened her eyes in alarm: “And if you are right, that means they can see our camp!”

“Yes. I was thinking of raising the alarm but have decided against it. They were placing those for most of the night, so I concluded they won’t have the time to attack before dawn. And, had I woken you up, you would all be tired and exhausted. You wouldn’t be in the condition to fight.”

“Do you think they will attack?”

Cybil shrugged slowly: “I have no idea. It may be the start of the invasion, but they are only observing us for now, just like we are observing them. We are yet to see any of their soldiers.”

“We have heard those mounts galloping though.”

“True, but we haven’t seen them. They are hiding their soldiers away from sight while sending dispensable scouts and bugs to take a better look. Who knows, maybe they are as afraid of us as we are afraid of them? For all they know, someone has opened a portal in their back yard and is trying to invade them. Besides, isn’t that exactly what was supposed to happen?”

“I have a really hard time imagining the demons being afraid of us.”

“Nevertheless, they saw a military camp relatively close to the portal. They have every right to consider us a threat,” the sudden male voice next to her made Hazelmere jump back a bit.

“Go … nail yourself! You scared the heavens out of me! Don’t stalk me like that!” She protested.

Heartwell gave her an amused smile: “I apologize, lady, I didn’t mean to. I wanted to say hi but didn’t want to interrupt your interesting conversation. That would also be rude.”

“Just, don’t sneak up on people like that! That’s not normal!”

“I apologize once again,” he lowered his head slightly in an apologetic gesture, after which he turned to face Cybil, “so … the demons have placed something on our side?”

“Yes. I assume it is used for observation. Once again, these demons are using the same methodology we would use. We have a magescope, and it looks like they have something similar.”

“Is there any way for me to see it?” Heartwell asked.

“Why?”

“Maybe my military experience can offer an insight that the archmages don’t have?”

Cybil and Hazelmere looked at each other, clearly in agreement over something.

“Oh well, I guess it couldn’t hurt,” Hazelmere spoke in a condescending tone, with an arrogant grimace on her face.

But, even though they were in agreement a moment before, Cybil gave her an exaggerated look of surprise as soon as she realized what Hazelmere said.

 “I mean, it will take some mana to give him the sight, but it’s not like we have to conserve every bit of it. Besides, he risked his life to fulfill a mission. Don’t you think we should be more open to his proposals, even though they may sound silly?” Hazelmere tried reasoning with Cybil.

“Is it a problem if I take a look?” Heartwell asked.

“Well, it is bothersome and quite exhausting. And it will take a whole day for my body to recover the mana I have spent giving you the sight.”

“If you think the demons may attack us and you need the mana, then it would make sense to deny my request.”

Hazelmere waved her hand dismissively: “Nah! If they do attack, I can use crystals to recharge it.”

“It is not really a matter of spending mana. It is about the mages being very selective about letting others experience their magic. It is a kind of … a very strange topic,” Cybil explained.

“Anyway, come closer,” Hazelmere gesticulated to Heartwell.

As soon as he was within reach, she put her hand on his neck.

“Close your eyes. It is much easier to see that way. You don’t want your natural sight interfering with the magescope.”

Heartwell did as he was told. It wasn’t long until pieces of vision started revealing themselves. At first, there were just pieces, like in a puzzle. But, as more and more pieces reached him, a proper vision started forming in his mind.

“It takes some practice to control the far-sight so, let me adjust your vision.”

Right after Hazelmere said those words, his vision shifted, as if someone has turned his head forcibly.

“Can you see those? They are very close.”

“Yeah, I can see them.”

“So, what do you think?”

“Let me observe them for a bit.”

A few moments passed in silence.

“Can you … get the vision closer to it?” Heartwell asked.

“Do you mean, as if taking a step towards it?”

“Something like that.”

“No, I can’t do that. I can only change the direction we are looking at. That is because the magescope is actually looking in all directions at once while our eyes have limited vision. I can change the direction we are looking at, but I can’t change the position. You would have to move the magescope itself to do that.”

“There’s something … I’m not really sure, but it boggles my mind. Can you see  … I don’t know how to describe it … these things, they have something like a stand. And on the stand, there’s a big long box which holds it all. Can you see it?”

“Ok, I see it.”

“Then, there’s another box on its left side. It’s noticeably smaller. Can you see it?”

“Ok.”

“Look at the top of that box. I can’t say for sure, because we aren’t looking from the good direction, but don’t you think some sharpened things are coming out of that small box into the big one?”

“Hmm … I am not sure if those are sharp, but I see what you mean. Those two long, round things? Is that what you are talking about?”

“Yes. There are two of them that we can see. I bet there are more in that box.”

“What makes you say that? Do you think you know what the box is for?”

“It’s just a wild guess, but if those things are sharp, then that box could store the ammunition.”

“Ammunition for what?”

“For the weapon!”

“What weapon, you dimwit?” Hazelmere sounded irritated.

“Do you see that tube coming out of the box?”

“What about it?”

“What could the tube be for if not for shooting at something?”

“Why would you ever shoot something out of a tube? If it were a ranged weapon, it would be bow-like! Like a ballista!”

“Have you ever heard of blow-darts?”

“Of what?”

“Blow darts! It’s a common weapon among the peasants. Not as effective as a bow, but it’s much easier to make, use and master. That’s what this looks like to me, a huge blow-dart with a box of darts attached to it.”

“What makes you think it is a weapon in the first place?”

“That’s because these things are set up in a defensive perimeter! Look at them, they’re placed in a way that gives them the best combination of observation and cover. Putting them along the edge would give them the best sight, but that’s not the case. Whoever was placing them was also considering putting them in a proper cover.”

“Maybe they were worried those things might slip over the edge? After all, the ice is slippery. However, let us assume that you are right and that those really are some weird weapons. Wouldn’t they need someone to shoot them?”

“That’s why I’m still not certain. I’m convinced that those are weapons, but I can’t say I’m certain. They’d need someone to aim and … oh …”

As he spoke, the box with the tube moved slightly.

“Did you see that?”

“Yes, it moved.”

“But there was no one to move it!”

The sight disappeared out of Heartwell’s mind. Opening his eyes, he saw Hazelmere sitting on the ground, looking visibly fatigued.

“Are you ok?” He asked.

“I’m just … a little bit tired.”

“You were looking for way too long,” Cybil gave him a reprimanding look.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know. But I think it was worth it. If those things can move on their own, then they can also aim on their own. And if they can do that then, what’s stopping them from shooting on their own?”

“You still think those are weapons?”

“It would make perfect sense.”

“But, why place a blow-whatever instead of a ballista? I understand it is easier to make a construct fire a bolt rather than swing a sword, but why would they make it shoot an inferior weapon when they can give it a proper bow?”

“Excuse me, what?” Cybil exaggerated her surprise at Hazelmere’s words once again, “Are you actually entertaining the idea that those can be constructs?”

“Why not? Aren’t you the one who has proposed it first?” Heartwell complained.

“No, I said they were golem-like. Those things can’t be constructs. Constructs can’t be so small! They need the cores to function properly, and those cores require plenty of space and mana! There is no point in making such an unimpressive construct, it would be a waste of resources. And to make several of them at that! And for what, to blow a few darts at the enemy?”

“Even though it sounds silly, I could accept the idea of it being some kind of a weapon,” Hazelmere said, “we know little about the demons so, ok, maybe they use such inferior weapons like blows. But to make a construct to use it … that makes no sense.”

“Maybe those constructs are primarily meant for observation, and the weapon is only there to serve in self-defense?” Heartwell offered.

“That makes more sense, but …”

“But it would still make no sense for it to be a construct,” Cybil finished Hazelmere’s sentence.

“Precisely. Or … maybe it is not a construct … maybe those are magical in nature, like our magescope?”

“Those are clearly mechanical though,” Cybil pointed out.

“You know what … I am too exhausted to think about this right now. My head hurts just from thinking about it,” Hazelmere stood up and started walking away while grabbing her head in frustration.

When she was out of the earshot, Heartwell turned to Cybil with an incredulous look on his face.

“Did she just walk away, in the middle of …”

“Yes, she did. She isn’t a very reliable sort. But then again, she did waste much mana giving you the sight, so it is no wonder her head hurts.”

“I didn’t know …”

“It isn’t your fault, nor your responsibility. She is just terrible at managing things, including her own mana.”

5