Chapter Thirty Four: The Art of Knowing When to Quit
323 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

「 Blistering 」

「 Ophelia’s POV 」

Several weeks have passed ever since we arrived from the castle grounds and Ashen’s high society couldn’t be more eager to know about all the events that led to the young maiden’s release.

“Good morning milady,” Alphy enters the room with a warm smile on her lips right before pushing the curtains away, “Millicia has woken up, would you like me to call for her?”

“No need, I will go see her myself,” she nods and removes a light brown dress from the closet.

The warm sun rays passed through the glass windows as I focused my attention on the bright green grass.

‘Finally…’ it was as if the Seedling had passed on quicker than I had originally thought. A sigh leaves my body as I come to terms with the wasted time.

 

Millicia had been in a coma ever since she returned from the palace, possibly due to the lack of care when she was inside that dirty cell. Alphy was the maid I assigned to keep her in check while helping her recover.

It took a while, but I managed to convince Duke Wharton to allow me to hire the family’s doctor. He was also the one taking care of the sick maid, night, and day.

According to his reports, Millicia had a large infection on her tongue and, adding to it, was a high fever born from a cold that quickly turned into a virus.

 

I glance over at the desk filled with invitations of several parties and gatherings the noblewomen wanted me to attend. Of course, I knew what the focus of this intrigue was: knowing who the real Ophelia was.

‘Is she evil? Is she good?’ were some of the questions roaming through their minds.

No one could understand the reasoning behind my actions and thus, curiosity roamed all around me.

I’ve noticed that, during these past weeks, Duke Wharton had been receiving several new prestige guests and numerous unknown visitors had been seen roaming around the estate, waiting patiently to catch a glimpse of the little crow habiting inside.

 

“Lord Terrel departs today milady,” Alphy comments as she brushes my raven hair gently.

“Indeed…” I could feel my emotions boiling.

‘That filthy…!’ the anger inside me was increasing as I remember Edgar Wharton’s command.

I thought I would finally be able to give that man a taste of his own medicine, but fate had other plans. According to the Duke, the problems in the mines on the north of the territory had been increasing and someone needed to control them.

Of course, the chosen lamb was no other than the rightful successor, Terrel.

“Tsk…” I click my tongue.

“Milady…?” the maid interrupts my thoughts and I notice my naiveness. The mask I had so carefully placed had easily fallen just at the thought of a single man, “Would you like to have your breakfast first?”

“Later,” I readily answer, and we both head out the door.

 

“Milly…” once the door opens, I see the beautiful guest room, filled with several expensive decorations, “How are you feeling?”

Once she realizes it’s me, she quickly tries to stand on her two feet, but I approach her. My hands grab her arms, warning her to stop trying this pitiful display of loyalty. I grab a wooden chair and sit on it as the young girl straightened herself in the bed.

Her complexion looked better and her mouth less swollen. It was definitely a sign of improvement.

“I’m glad to see you are recovering,” I comment right before seeing Millicia’s anxious expression, “Alphy, I take you know how to write and read?”

“Yes, milady,” the maid answers, clearly confused.

“Teach her, that’s your priority,” I slowly get up from the chair and see them both trading conflicted glances, “Useless pawns are worthless, do you understand?”

Millicia glares into my eyes coldly. She was taking my words on a personal level.

“It would be wise to learn, wouldn’t you agree?” I smile politely and she clenches her fists before nodding, “Great minds think alike.”

Alphy kept on averting her eyes, almost as if she was reluctant to follow my commands.

“Is there a problem?” I question her as my hand grabbed the handle of the door. Her silence was nothing but bothersome, “I asked you a question, didn’t I?”

“I just think that…” she finally gathers her courage to speak but, right after that, she bites down her words. Seeing her internal conflict, made me understand what the problem was.

 

In Ashen there is only one learning facility: The Royal Academy. Of course, to enter you either need to have a title or money and a reference from someone of status. This implies that commoners have low chances of entering and thus, being a servant with basic reading and writing skills, makes you special.

‘So, she’s afraid,’ I realized that Alphy was purely doubtful of my intentions. Truthfully, she was scared that Millicia would take her place.

In fact, it was Alphy who copied all the party invitations and sent them to the nobles in the kingdom. She knew she had to obey my request but, even then, she was reluctant.

“It’s alright,” I place my hand on her shoulder, “That won’t happen.”

“Milady…” her eyes widen in surprise at my sudden statement.

“I trust you will do well,” I open the door and take my leave.

 

As I was walking towards the dining hall, I hear the loud sound of men arguing among the clashing of steel swords. I look below just to see the Wharton’s guards talking with Jade in a very aggressive tone as they pushed him harshly.

‘Making a fuss so early in the morning, are we?’ I grin understanding the situation.

 

I had seen this happen a couple of times before, but they were never this dumb.

Of course, I am not surprised by this behavior. My maids did treat me respectfully since they have seen several different sides of me, but the useless guards disregard my position as the next lady of the house.

‘Those stupid rumors…’ part of me wished to remove the words in the wind regarding my alleged “curse”.

 

I focus my attention on the men below, glaring at them intensely.

Jade had been training in the fields for the past weeks and his body had improved considerably.

Even then, some of the guards had the bright idea to challenge him but my precious pawn easily won. Not to my surprise, as prideful knights, they couldn’t stand a rightful loss so now he is their punching bag, the only one to relieve their anger.

 

“You called milady?” Olivia and another maid arrive, bowing down immediately.

“Yes, I would like to have my breakfast outside, right there,” I point towards a tree a couple of feet away from the guard’s feud, “Have it prepared quickly.”

“As you wish milady,” after trading a couple of confused glances they abide by my order and take their leave.

Slowly, I walked down the stairs just to be greeted by the wild black cat.

“You shouldn’t be outside,” I state before walking towards him. His bright ruby eyes stared at me intensely, “You don’t care, do you?”

He begins licking his paw as his tail wiggled in the air, cheerfully.

A sigh leaves my body right before I open the big wooden door that leads to the garden.

 

 

Even after several months, I have managed to keep Nero’s existence a secret. Of course, this amazing feat was not due to my skills in controlling animals.

The little fellow would always hide whenever someone entered the room as if he was able to predict it. I wouldn’t label it as luck but as an animal instinct.

 

I arrive at the garden just to see everything prepared. A beautiful, yet small, wooden table had been placed under the shade of a tree alongside a pairing chair. On top, a bright pearl towel had been placed and it was carefully decorated with several tableware items.

Slowly, my body takes its rightful seat as my eyes watched the distasteful display of manhood.

“This is greatly disappointing…” I comment rather loudly, making the guards' bodies flinch at the sound of my voice, “I thought knights would at least know basic manners.”

Finally, they notice my presence and the disrespectful man that was holding Jade’s clothing quickly lets him go. Gracefully, I take the teacup to my lips allowing a sip of the marvelous chamomile tea to slip down my throat.

“Good morning, milady,” startled, they dash towards me and bow right after.

“Master,” of course, the platinum-haired boy follows their actions.

“Come closer, Jade,” I put down the tea and stretch my arm, letting him know to approach me.

Silently, he rises and walks towards my table. He then kneels beside me, and I can clearly see the ripped lip, spilling out a viscous yet crimson-red substance.

“Oh dear…” my hand touches his cheek and soon my fingers find their way onto his lip, caressing it gently, “What happened to your beautiful face?”

 

The environment was quiet.

Jade kept on averting his eyes from mine, conflicted about whether he should expose the culprit or not. On the other hand, the guards remained silent, as if this had nothing to do with them.

To my surprise, the head of the guards, a tall man with thick muscles and heavy armor, rises and his comrades follow, like the stupid sheep they are.

“Did I order you to rise?” I glare at them coldly as my voice echoed loudly through the gardens. I could clearly see the agglomeration of impatience in their eyes, “Aren’t you a bunch of impertinent folks?”

Understanding their mistake, they quickly go back onto their knees, kneeling on the grass floor.

“Rise,” as they heard my order they immediately get up. Glances were switched between them as if they were mocking my authority.

‘I see…’ the truth is, I didn’t control them and, according to the gossip, I was nothing but a cursed child with no real power but, even then, I was the daughter of a Duke and the fiancée of the Wharton’s successor. They needed to respect me, no matter how you see it.

“Thank you, milady,” slowly, they begin turning their bodies, showing their intent in leaving.

“Who ordered you to leave?” Olivia and her fellow maid were behind me, watching this scenario unfold. It was clear their feelings were waving from anxiety and fear.

“No one milady, I’m sorry,” they repeat once again in unison right before bowing down.

‘Gosh…’ the guards were in complete syntony as if a group of performers was playing the same song, at the same time.

“You…” my attention shifts to a man standing in the corner, the shepherd, “What’s your name?”

“Martin, milady,” he immediately responds as if his soul was complete and utterly calm.

“Have a seat, Martin,” I politely smile before signaling Olivia to grab another seat.

I pat Jade’s shoulder and he swiftly gets up, straightening up his back as if he were in the middle of a training.

“Here you go, milady,” the maid arrives and places a chair right in front of me.

Hesitantly, the head of the guards sits down, and I begin to cut a slice on the creamy chocolate cake.

“So, Martin… Could you tell me how my possession got hurt?” gracefully, I clean the edges of my mouth with a white napkin.

“I wouldn’t know…” he bluntly answers.

My eyes wander around until they reach the shepherd’s bruised hands.

“Did you, perhaps, got into a fight?” I question him while crossing my fingers beneath my chin. A cold, yet polite smile appears on my lips.

“It was during training, milady,” his answers were coherent, and his confidence didn’t waver. It was almost as if he had nothing to hide.

‘Martin, Martin…’ seeing him like this made a thrilling sensation run through my veins. I wanted to ruin his pride, shatter his confidence greatly, ‘You’ve picked my interest.’

“I feel relieved to see you work so diligently,” I declare right before seeing a faint smile on his thin lips, “Even then, I was hoping to get some help from our hard-working guards.”

“What do you need, milady?” his brows arch and I comprehended he was suspicious of my words.

“Please enlighten me on what might be the problem with my servant?” I smile coldly but, even then, he keeps his composure.

“I don’t understand your question,” understanding he was being attacked, his voice tone has a slight change. Martin’s defenses were high.

“I understand… It is not your fault, you were born stupid after all…” he clenches his fists, displaying his anger, “I will put it simply then… Why did you hit my slave?”

“I would never…!” he straightens himself as he spoke loudly.

Annoyed, I throw the tea in the cup at his face making his eyes widen in surprise.

“I am not a patient person Martin…” I lean my body on the wooden chair and cross my leg, “Now, why did you hit my slave?”

“He lacked manners milady, that’s why we…” another guard steps in and interrupts.

‘Licking my boots now, are we?’ my amusement kept on rising. This was pure entertainment.

“And you are the peak of etiquette?” I get up and approach the young man right before placing my hand on his chest and pushing him onto the floor, “Then if you are so confident in your skills, prove yourself to me. Kneel.”

“As you wish,” he obeys my command swiftly and I glance over at Martin. His expression was calm yet his eyes failed to hide his true feelings: frustration and anxiety roamed his mind.

“Olivia, bring me the teapot,” I declare before feeling the porcelain on my fingers, “Everyone knows the basic etiquette rule is posture.”

Slowly I place the teacup on his head, and he manages to hold it steady. I return to my seat and continue to eat the delicacies on the plate.

 

Thirty minutes had passed, and anxiety was growing within the kneeling men in front of me.

“Isn’t this enough!?” a guard yells as he noticed the exhaustion in his colleague. It was clear that his muscles were beginning to be sore, his legs were probably numb, and his posture was becoming unstable, wavering further at every passing second.

“What did you say?” I get up from my chair, but Martin quickly follows. He stands before me, blocking my path.

Suddenly, the sound of something cracking is heard, and I notice that the guard had finally given up. His legs were now stretched as his body relaxed.

The grass was now wet from the tea as the broken porcelain rested on it.

“Your servant was lacking manners, we just taught him some crucial things when serving someone as important as you, milady,” Martin responds.

‘Taking one for the team?’ I thought about how ridiculous this display of affection and care was.

“And what might those crucial things be?” I glare at him while crossing my arms.

“Milady needs extra care, everyone knows about your frail constitution…” noticing his lapse of judgment I quickly take the lead and interrupt him.

“Are you implying that I am weak?” he averts his eyes. Martin comprehended his mistake and I slap his cheek harshly, “You should cool yourself before speaking out of place again.”

“That’s…!” another guard comments but is quickly interrupted.

“Yes, milady, thank you for your kindness,” his words were calm, but his fists were clenched as his feelings dwelled in rage.

“Even then, I can still feel you haven’t embraced my generous advice…” I turn, making my brown dress dance with the warm breeze.

“That’s not true, milady, I am extremely grateful,” he kneels.

‘As if…’ I knew this wouldn’t do. This wouldn’t be enough to make them leave Jade alone.

“Then apologize…” as I was speaking, Martin yells.

“I beg your forgiveness, milady,” he bows down his torso on the floor.

“… To Jade,” his body shivers as he slowly gets up.

“I beg your pardon?” his voice was displaying his nerves.

“I think you heard me,” I smile coldly, “Apologize to my slave.”

“That’s outrageous!” one of the guards yells from the back of the line.

“Indeed, you are right… How could I ask for such a thing?” I chuckle, “All of you will kneel and apologize to him.”

Whispers begin roaming around the men as they traded glares.

“I’m sorry but you cannot ask us to do something of that nature, even if you are the daughter of a Duke,” Martin comments while glaring at me intensely.

It was clear that these men held their pride high, and they wouldn’t sell it short. I glance over at Jade who was quietly in the back, watching me from afar, unbothered with the whole situation.

“I understand... Olivia, bring me a branding iron,” my voice was obnoxiously loud as everyone gasps in surprise.

No one was expecting what had already been lurking in my mind from the start.

12