Chapter Thirty Eight: Running from the Storm
277 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

「Back to the present 」

「Ophelia’s POV 」

“What did you say?” my eyes widen in surprise at Jade’s sudden statement.

“Her Highness sent an invitation for her birthday ball,” he hands me a light pink envelope that contained a rose-scented letter.

‘How…!?’ my pupils wander through the beautiful calligraphy, reading every word slowly and carefully, ‘Ah…!’

“This is not an invitation…!” I crinkle the paper sheet before pushing it harshly on the hard wooden desk. Frustration began to build on my body as everything became as clear as day.

“Master?” he approaches me, but quickly I shove him away.

“This shouldn’t happen!” I mumble anxiously while feeling the overwhelming pressure take control of my body.

 

This was something that had never happened. This letter was addressed to me and was clearly written by the queen herself. I was aware that rejecting her personal invitation would be nothing more than offending her ranking and influence.

Even then, I hated going to the palace and that is why I always avoided it. I didn’t want to meet Blake any more than necessary but now I found myself being obliged to walk into the monster’s lair.

 

‘Why...!?’ I couldn’t understand why this was happening. I had never been personally invited to attend, in fact, it was either the Duke or Edgar Wharton and I just had to tag along, ‘Why did it turn out like this...!?’

 

Vivian Evans, the second daughter of Duke Lichol Evans was the current queen of Ashen.

I had seen her before but our relationship could be reduced to three simple words: bowing, praising, leaving. Even then, that was for the best since that woman was shrouded by rumors and gossip of all kinds.

Some nobles believe that she poisoned the king and sent Blake to the war in order to gain more power over the kingdom; others say that the death of her older sister, Lisa, who was engaged to the current king, was not an accident but a homicide...

Vivian is a woman with a face that keeps itself hidden behind ten thousand masks.

 

‘Shit…!’ my body kept on walking back and forth as my brain tried to think of a solution that wouldn’t damage that woman’s pride.

After several long minutes of considering my options carefully, I throw my body onto the bed, feeling utterly defeated. No excuse in the world would justify my absence at this grand event.

“Can I help with anything?” Jade hurries to my side with his puppy-like eyes. It was clear he was concerned about this situation.

“Unfortunately, no,” I let out a sigh and head towards a small safe before unlocking it.

‘Damn...’ I realized that I was beginning to be poor since my funds were being lower by the day.

 

Buying those dresses was a huge mistake since it took more than half of my money away. The pile of coins and gold bars that filled up the chest were nothing more than old memories and now, they barely reach the middle of it.

I knew I couldn’t attend the queen’s ball with the same dress otherwise I would only be publicly humiliated by those filthy nobles and their twisted morals.

‘What can I do...’ after opening the closet, I notice the purple amethyst dress I had taken to the tea party  but quickly disregard it, ‘This one...’

My hands touch the silky dress Duke Wharton had purchased for me but soon my eyes catch the glimpse of a lime-colored dress. It was old but the fabric was acceptable and, even if it wasn’t of the highest quality, it was not shabby.

 “This will do,” I grin right after creating a mischievous plan inside my mind.

I glance over at Jade. His eyes were fixated on the dress as he analyzed it through and through. After some long minutes, he smiles.

“I’m sure it will look wonderful on you master,” hearing his reply I chuckle.

“You really know nothing about fashion,” noticing I had let my guard down, I place my cold face once again.

He remains quiet and I place the dress in the closet once again.

‘That dress will definitely...’ sometimes I was amazed at my own wickedness.

 

After the little theatrical display I had pulled at the tea party, the Duke cut my allowance in half, providing only the sufficient for the Wharton’s care and nothing else. Of course, I was aware that Edgar had no idea, otherwise, he would’ve created a scene by now.

‘Let’s see how deep you can go...’ a large grin is portrayed on my lips as I begin imagining their horrified expressions.

 

✽✼✽✼✽✼✽

 

「A couple of days before 」

“We couldn’t purchase the granaries your grace,” a man in his thirties speaks as his torso bowed down, “Earl Hillgarden invested in them.”

“The Earl?! But how!?” Alvin’s eyes widen in surprise as he struggled to understand the meaning behind his servant’s words.

‘This is impossible...!’ he kept on thinking about the peculiarity of this situation.

No one knew that the southern granaries were going to try to grow pumpkin for the first time and, since it was an imported item, its price was going to sky-rocket.

“When I arrived Count Louis told me that the Earl had already invested,” the servants states clearly.

‘I hid all the leads... Then how...?’ Alvin traded with a lot of foreigners and that’s how he learned the truth regarding pumpkin cultivation.

Everyone thought that our fields were not sufficient for its growth when, in fact, the problem was merely the weather. Once Count Louis gathered the seeds and informed of their plantation, everyone laughed, except Alvin.

He wanted to invest a big sum of money in their growth, making him have, almost, the monopoly of the pumpkin trade.

‘I was going to...!’ frustration gathered in his mind as he tried to understand how his plan had failed.

 

A knock on the door is heard and Alfred, Alvin’s personal aide enters the room holding a beautiful light blue envelope. The other servant takes his leave and, once the letter reaches the Duke’s hands he frowns.

He clicks his tongue displeased as he sees the arrival of another letter by the house of Trace.

 

[Duke Criswell,

I hope your health has been kind and your business successful as ever.

Trees need water or their fruit might rot, especially in the hot Blistering weather. I’m sure you wouldn’t want the prosperous and delicious tree products to rot. I anxiously wait for your reply.

 

Bradley Trace]

 

‘This guy...’ he clenches the letter within his hands as they trembled with rage.

 

Bradley’s last visit was months ago and it was just to display his interest in the Duke’s youngest daughter, Ophelia Criswell. He threatened to expose Alvin’s taxes evasions if his engagement with Amanda wasn’t called off.

Alvin knew this was an extremely sensitive situation. He tried his best to cover his tracks but, at this point, he was too deep down to hide all his dirt under the rug.

 

‘I worked too hard to let a brat like him ruin my plans...!’ his anger kept on increasing as his mind wandered through Bradley’s words.

After his visit, Alvin had received letters every week from the same person: Bradley Trace.

The contents were always the same: either the engagement was canceled, or the crown would know everything the Duke had been concealing.

The thought of getting rid of Bradley had passed through his mind but he knew he couldn’t do it. He needed to have a connection to the Trace to gain the power to their contacts and wealth. That brat was a precious tool and thus, he needed to be dealt with extremely carefully.

‘Is there really no other way...?’ he clenches his teeth understanding his precarious situation.

Alvin had delayed this matter for months and he knew he wouldn’t be able to feign ignorance for much longer. Sometimes, the Duke would ignore the letters and don’t reply, others he would send a message with several excuses regarding his business or Amanda’s poor mental health but the rope was thinner each time. He knew this farse was reaching its end.

 

“Your grace, are you feeling alright?” Alfred states politely as he bowed his body slightly, “You look pale...”

Alvin furrows his brows down for some seconds as his mind kept on processing his thoughts.

“That’s it...!” he laughs obnoxiously loud, “You are a genius, Alfred!”

“Your grace...?” the servant looks at him confused and his eyes widen when Alvin’s hand pats his back strongly.

“Pack my bags and tell Amanda to do the same!” his mood had been turned completely upside down, it was almost as if he turned into a different person.

“What about Her Highness’s ball?” Alfred looks at him, worried about the repercussions of his master’s actions.

“Don’t worry about that, you shall deliver the present personally...” the Duke walks towards the large wooden window.

“Where might be the destination of your trip?” it was clear that the servant was concerned since he had never seen this thoughtless side of Alvin.

“We are going to a retreat in the East,” Alfred’s eyes widen in surprise and a faint smile is displayed on his lips.

‘So he is going to fake an illness... What genius...’ the servant realizes his own foolishness.

“How long will you be gone, your grace?” he questions while picking up the tea set on Alvin’s table.

“The whole Blistering!” in a rush, the Duke sits down and begins writing several letters with thin paper sheets before making a hand signal, “Now go, there is much to be done.”

 

✽✼✽✼✽✼✽

 

“What did you say!?” Amanda’s loud voice echoed through the halls, “I won’t  go!”

“Milady, his grace said...” she frowns at Alfred’s words.

“I don’t care what my father said! I am not going!” her loud voice turned into frustrated screams, “I! Won’t! Go!”

“But milady...!” seeing her cold eyes, Alfred swallows down his words.

“Leave!” she yells and the servant ends up obeying. He knew that his persistence would be nothing more than just a waste of time.

 

Amanda begins walking around in the room and, as her mind wandered through her frustration and anger, she pushes everything away. Chairs, vases, and other items found their way onto the floor.

“Milady...” Lanna quickly picks them up while trying to soothe her master’s outburst.

“I can’t do anything already and now he wants to send me to that god-forsaken place!?” as she turned her feelings into words her body began settling down, “I am not a fucking priest!”

The maid was quietly observing and listening to Amanda’s words. She knew that if she talked or even tried to intervene, her master would punish her severely. Lanna knew that the maids were nothing more than puppets to Amanda and thus, they were the perfect vessels to deliver her anger.

‘Be invisible...’ she continues to pick up the things slowly, without making a sound.

“Just imagine...! Me...! At Luferia! Ah!” Amanda bites her nails strongly, “What a joke!”

 

Luferia was a small, secluded village surrounded by a thick rock wall. Inside there was a large fountain that, according to the old tales, could heal any wound or disease. Throughout the years, citizens from all around the continent traveled long distances to reach it and ended up creating a small village surrounding the magical fountain.

Of course, everyone knows that these are nothing but mere child stories and that is the reason why that same fountain was destroyed several centuries ago. Even then, the town is known to be a healing retreat for the wealthy since nowadays, the majority of its population is priests and doctors.

 

Amanda hated the idea of leaving the capital to go to a remote place.

After the incident with her sister, she had been trapped inside the house. Holly and Patricia never came to visit her and she was forbidden to go to any social events.

Her frustration was sky-high as she felt the boredom from being stuck at home all the time.

 

‘And now he wants me too...?!’ she kicks the bed strongly, ‘There’s no way!’

 

“Milady, his grace is here,” Alfred’s voice was heard from the other side of the door.

‘Father is...?’ her eyes widen in surprise at the servant’s sudden statement.

“Come in,” she quickly sits down on one of the chairs, gracefully.

 

The door is open and Alvin enters the room.

‘It’s worse than I thought...’ his attention shifts from place to place, bouncing from the broken teacups on the floor to the several turned chairs.

“Leave us,” his rough voice echoes and both Alfred and Lanna leave, closing the door behind them.

 

“I’m not going,” Amanda quickly states.

“Why not?” Alvin picks one of the chairs and straightens it right before sitting on it.

“I haven’t gone to a social event for months! I’ve done everything you ordered me to!” her eyes begin to carry tears in their corners, “It’s unfair!”

“Amanda... Please... Understand that...” the Duke tries to reason with her but it was in vain.

“I’m not going!” as her father was finishing his sentence she speaks up.

“This is not a request Amanda!” Alvin’s voice becomes louder.

“No! I won’t go!” she then proceeds to scream at the top of her lungs and her father’s patience snaps.

In a glimpse of an eye, the Duke’s right hand finds its way onto Amanda’s cheek, slapping it harshly. Her pale skin begins to turn red as her eyes widen in shock.

‘What...?’ Amanda was speechless. Her father had never done such a thing before.

“Fa...Ther...?” tears begin to gather around her eyes just to fall down a couple of seconds later.

“Ah... My head...” Alvin sits back down and massages his scalp harshly, “We are going and that’s final, I’m sorry dear.”

“Why must I go? There is nothing there,”  her voice was now low and soft just like when a small white rabbit faces its prey.

“Who was the one that almost killed her family?” his eyebrows arch as the Duke shifts all the blame into Amanda.

“I already apologized father! And you said you took care of it...! Then why...!?” she grabs the wooden table strongly as tears flew down her face.

“We need to let the waters calm themselves,” Alvin continues, “Just a bit more, dear, and everything will be back to normal, alright?” a kind smile was displayed on his lips.

“Alright...” her hands find their way onto her cheeks and begin cleaning away the tears.

“Pack your things, we are leaving tomorrow,” Alvin gets up and opens the door.

Alfred and Lanna were both standing on the other side, waiting for this moment. Without having to say another word, the maid quickly enters the room and begins removing several bags.

 

“I need this letter to be delivered today,” the Duke takes a letter from his pockets and hands it to Alfred.

“Understood,” filled with curiosity, the servant’s eyes travel through his master’s handwriting and find that the recipient was none other than the house of Byron.

‘So he is going to avoid the Trace’s territory...’ Alfred begins connecting the dots inside his head as he heads towards the entrance.

 

✽✼✽✼✽✼✽

 

「Several days later 」

“How is Millicia doing?” I question Alphy who was placing some tea on the table.

“She is quite a fast learner milady, soon I won’t have anything else to teach her...” her eyes looked sad and I understood her mind was still clouded with concern.

“Alphy, don’t tell anyone about this, understand?” suddenly her eyes widen, glimmering with excitement.

“Of course milady!” she kept on trying to hide her smile but the corners of her small mouth gave it away.

‘Like this, there shouldn’t be a problem...’ I place the cup in my hands.

“Milady! Milady!” there was a voice, deep into the distance that kept on increasing its volume.

Unexpectedly, the door is open and a loud sound is heard. Alphy was clearly startled but I kept my composure.

“Milady we have a problem!” Ivy rushes to my side. Her brown hair was a complete mess and her cheeks were bright red as if she had sprinted through the whole estate.

“Calm down, you are giving me a headache,” I was about to drink the tea but my hands stopped at her words.

“It’s Jade milady he...!” Ivy rushed to my side and, at her next sentence, a sharp pain was felt in my chest.

 

Hello everyone, hope you are doing well! 

I've been working hard on new chapters and sorting out some loose ends of the story, even though I've been a bit demotivated to write TuT

With that being said, I wanted to ask you (if you had the time), to either leave a review or leave a comment specifying what you like the most about the story and what you think it should be improved (I'm sure you already know but I love constructive criticism!). 

Thank you very much and see you next Monday! 

Stay safe mina-san ~

11