Chapter 12
23 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the indoor court aboard Wei Family’s superyacht, Rich and Jesse just ended a tennis match 2-1. Rich, noticing that the latter had been distracted throughout the game, sighed. He grabbed some towels and chilled water provided by one of the crew with a wink, eliciting a blush from the girl. Then he went to join Jesse who was sitting in the lounge area busily typing on his phone.

 

Author’s Note: Dialogue between Jesse and Rich is in English.

“Don’t tell me.You are still trying to figure out how to ask her out for lunch.” His rhetorical question was met with silence.

“You've been at it for 10 minutes, mate.”

“Didn’t she agree and say to text her on Vechat?”

 

“I really don't get what’s so difficult about this.” Rich mumbled. Looking his friend up and down, Jesse has strikingly handsome facial features with dark blue eyes. Jesse impatiently brushed his blond hair away from his face. Sweat from the high intensity exercise dripping on the floor. His body built and fit from his regular visits to the gym and his love for soccer. Rich caught several guests and crew members took a second glance as Jesse came in the tennis court in his blue short sleeved shirt and white shorts. A few guests even tried to strike up a conversation. Yet his friend seemed unaware of the attention, Rich almost felt bad for them.

 

His friend only ever had eyes for Irene since their Cambridge  years. It was obvious that the girl was different from them. They all graduated from the same prep school but Irene had been on scholarship. Even when they eventually became friends, she was always busy with her studies and part time work. It was only Stella who would manage to drag her out to events and parties. Indeed, Irene was a rare beauty and with an admirable temperament. She is calm and indifferent, polite but not deferential. She’s also interestingly well versed on high society etiquette. It was quite odd to see someone naturally embody the elegance and disposition of the affluent but actually be impoverished. He could still remember the surprise he felt when they had found her working at a cafe near the school. They had both gotten really drunk at a house party the night before and barely made it back to campus around 5am. Eventually they decided to get breakfast at ANNA’s to help with their hangover. 

………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

**Flashback**

 

ANNA’s was a cafe/pub that served breakfast and comfort food near the Oxford campus. It was a popular place for students since it opens early and closes late and the food tastes like home cooking. The owner Anna was a British native who usually hires students for part-time work. Though Jesse and Rich often frequent the establishment, they have never recognized any of the workers that served them. This is only natural since both are from the upper class families who have never had to work odd-jobs. They both have full access to their trust funds and will eventually take over their families’ business after they complete university. However, on that day, an extremely beautiful Miyeon who was wearing a loose white sweater, blue skinny jeans, and white sneakers trotted over to where they sat.    

 

“Hi Sorry for the wait. What can I get for you guys?” Miyeon held her notepad and smiled at the two white males who were obviously suffering from a night of overindulgence in alcohol. They were slumped over the table and seemed somewhat familiar but she couldn’t be sure. She was actually pretty bad at remembering people’s names and faces.

 

“Irene?!” It was the blond haired guy who spoke. He looked pretty surprised to see her there.

 Miyeon had a questioning look on her face indicating that she didn’t know him. She looked at them both and could see that the blond guy was trying to say something.

 

“You...I...Uh..We” he stammered.

“Baby girl. It couldn't be that you forgot us already right?” the man with dark brown hair asked.

Miyeon’s eyebrows rose slightly at his affectionate pet name. She furrowed her brows slightly to think. After a few moments, it suddenly occurred to her where she saw them before. 

“Ah. Could it be. Stella’s fashion show?” Miyeon asked. Her friend Shu Li has just held her first show on campus and it was a big hit. Miyeon had modeled that day and met these two at the afterparty. They were both very good looking and could be models themselves but Stella hasn’t made clothing for men.

“Yeah! I’m Rich and that slow lad over there is Jesse.” quipped the dark haired man with a grin. 

Miyeon nodded at them both in acknowledgement. 

“Uhm. Irene, why are you working here?” the man named Jesse inquired.

“For money..” Miyeon was taken aback for a second before she responded. Why else would a person work if not to earn money?

Jesse seemed to be slightly abashed and as he tried to find the words to say.

“Sorry. You were good  friends with Stella. So I just…”

“Assumed I came from money?” Miyeon, tilted her read and asked with a wry smile.

“Uhh…” Jesse was at a loss for words and felt himself getting tongue tied.  

“What this bloke Jessie is trying to say was you naturally give off the impression that you came from wealth. You just have the look. The style.” interjected Rich who was trying to salvage the situation.

“Hmm..The look...You mean the clothes I model for Stella.” Miyeon said as she gave a soft chuckle.

“Uhhh. That.. We didn’t mean any offense.” piped Jesse who had gotten red from embarrassment.

“Oh, I wasn’t offended. I should be glad I was mistaken for a rich girl right?” Miyeon mentioned offhandedly. “So, are you both ready to order?”

 

After that somewhat awkward introduction, Miyeon professionally took their orders. Both wanted two hot coffees and a “fry-up” aka the full English breakfast consisting of fried eggs, sausages, back bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, fried bread and a slice black pudding. The dishes were easy to make and were ready in a few minutes. In the meantime, she had served them their hot coffee. 

 

“Enjoy your meal.” said Miyeon as she gracefully placed their meals on the table. 

Jesse had been feeling slightly embarrassed over their encounter and had been keeping his head down. ‘Ugh! I can’t believe I asked her that. Argh! She doesn’t even remember me and I called her out by name. Oh God.’ However, when he thought that the girl was just about to leave, Miyeon also placed two cups of hot honey lemon water at their table.

“Here. Drink this. Honey lemon water is good for hangovers.” Miyeon explained.

Jesse stared mutely at the pretty girl in front of him causing Irene to bend her head slightly and wonder if the man was alright. “It’s on the house.” she said.

“Ah...Thank you baby girl.” Rich said, smoothly saving the conversation.

After Irene had left their table, Rich looked askance at his good friend Jesse. What in the world caused Jesse to turn into a blundering idiot? Blond hair blue eyed 193cm tall with an athletic body. Jesse had a strikingly handsome face and he was rich. So why was Jesse stuttering back then?

Then it dawned on Rich, “Oh mate...You are whipped.” He told his friend shaking his head.

That friend of his just buried his head in his hands in resignation. “I know.” came a muffled voice.

 

**End of Flashback**

………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

**text message**

[Jesse_Evans]: Hey Irene, It’s me Jesse. Are you free to grab lunch sometime this week.

 

After he sent the text, Jesse stared at the screen intently. “Are we waiting on the spot now?” asked Rich.

A few minutes later. “Aaaaah! She responded!” Jesse suddenly grabbed Rich’s arm causing him to spill his drink.

 

[IamIrene]: Sure.

[IamIrene]: When are you free?

 

Jesse was all smiles as he reiterated the text, “Irene said sure! She’s asking me when I am free!” “Mate, I don’t need you to give me a play by play. Just respond to her will ya. We still gotta shower.” Rich answered amused.

 

[Jesse_Evans]: What about this Thursday. There’s a good place near the studio.

[IamIrene]: Alright. Send me the location and I’ll meet you there.

[Jesse_Evans]: The Table @ District 1 Y City 

[IamIrene]: Is 12’oclock okay?

[Jesse_Evans]: Yeah that time’s great!

 

Jesse spent the remainder of the cruise in a fantastic mood to Rich’s consternation.

........................................................................................................................................

The author has something to say: Looks like our little Jesse is shy. Fufufu ~(˘▾˘~)

Please remember to leave a ❤️and add the story to your reading list ?

You can also support me by buying me a cuppa joe ☕️

2