2.13 – Follow ups
119 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up before dawn the following day. Tilly was on guard duty while the rest was still sleeping. Since I didn’t feel like sleeping I carefully disentangled myself from Milly and got ready for the day.

“Anything suspicious?” I looked at Tilly whispering.

“Nah. The night was calm. There were a few weaker earthquakes though.” She smiled shaking her head.

“Can’t do anything about that. I hope we’ll be far enough away if there’s anything serious. Volcanoes spewing out ash can affect quite an area.” I knelt down beside Tilly, who was sitting on a small boulder.

“I would like to have had the time to study this throne. It had strong magic and the fresco might have revealed some interesting bits of the past.” Tilly sighed.

“Leaving the hall as soon as possible was essential. I doubt we would have survived the cave-in causing that crater. There had to be more empty space below. Examining the throne would have been interesting though.” I looked east, where the stars had almost faded away.

“It’s a pity.” Tilly hung her head.

“Thought about drawing things you saw?” I tilted my head and smiled at her.

“That’s actually a good idea. We can then discuss things I saw. Don’t tell Milly, but I had a closer look on the throne before we left.” She winked at me.

“Well, it was short enough for us not to notice.” I shrugged.

“Calmed down? You were really out of yourself.” Tilly got up sweeping the area.

“Mostly. I’m still concerned about a possible eruption, but maybe the cave-in was what the presence was, err, hinting at.” I looked up at Tilly.

“We have to move anyway, so leaving as fast as we could doesn’t change our plans much for now.” Tilly sat down on the boulder again.

“I wish we hadn’t these marks. We need time to discover more about ourselves. The constant threat of someone coming at us really get at me.” I furrowed my brows.

I started to focus on the drip of mana in my mana pool after a while of silence.

It would be nice to have the pool full after all this time. The continuous depletion made me feel strained. Using all the mana was bad, but staying under full for an extended time was nagging at me as well.

Focusing inward I felt something new! A new magical ability! It was large in comparison with my other powers, completely out of proportion. The inlet which was for feeding it with mana felt over-sized and when I started to direct mana at the input it simply dissipated. I’d never seen such an effect even while trying to activate something without having enough mana.

I considered discussing with Tilly, but opted to wait until breakfast. She had to focus on the watch until the rest were awake and she usually instant got carried away by interesting new magical stuff.

Further examination didn’t reveal anything. I had the inkling I needed much more mana to get it to work and there was something wrong with it as well.

After an hour all were awake and started having breakfast.

“I’ve discovered something new with my magic this morning. It’s barely visible, but it is there. It seems like it would need more mana than I have at the moment.” I dug into a sausage and looked at Milly and Tilly.

“Really? I didn’t notice anything!” Tilly closed her eyes and relaxed.

“Last time I looked, everything looked normal. It’s not the rebind thing I asume.” Milly took a few nuts from a bowl.

“That’s not new, and it’s clearly visible.” I shook my head.

“Maybe it has something to do with the throne? You should be careful.” She rubbed her chin.

“All looks normal for me.” Tilly opened her eyes again and frowned.

“Well it looks like I can’t use it anyway at the moment. Maybe when my mana is back to full I’m going to check it out again.” I shrugged.

“I want to examine it closer.” Tilly tilted her head looking at me.

“Shoot.” I nodded.

Her eyes started to glow as she focused on me.

“What do you think could it be?” Caroline looked at me curiously.

“I’ve no idea. Somehow I can’t feed my mana in it. It’s weird.” I pulled my feet close to sit cross-legged.

“Do you think it’s related to the throne?” Loraline got to her knees.

“Can you try to feed it some mana?” Tilly interrupted.

“Sure. I can’t say much about it, but if it’s only me chances are good it’s related.” I started to feed a bit mana to the power.

“Enough!” Tilly’s eyes went back to normal a few moments later.

“Seen anything interesting?” I tilted my head an looked at her.

“I’m not sure, but I think that your mana is too weak. The way it behaved reminded me of a passage in our book.” She pressed her lips together and furrowed her browns.

“Oh great!” I groaned.

“There’s nothing we can do about that.” Milly patted my head.

“It’s sometimes just frustrating, but you’re right.” I leaned into her hand.

“Of course I’m right.” She gave me a peck on the forehead.

“As long as it hasn’t some nasty side effect it’s probably not a problem either.” I caressed her cheek.

“Don’t jinx it!” She raised an eyebrow.

“I’m not superstitious.” I shook my head.

“We’re done with breakfast. Let’s get going. We want get more distance to the volcano.” She got to her feet.

We all got to our feet as well. A few minutes later we were on our way.

The next three days passed without anything interesting. We went eastward as fast as we could, but without taking unnecessary risks. A fight which would force us to rest a few days wasn’t worth it.

The next morning was slightly cloudy.

¨My mana is full again!” Milly started to skip and dance after waking up the next morning.

“Wow! That’s cool!” I was a just bit jealous.

“It’s at least sign that we’re done with it soon as well.” Tilly gave me hug alongside a bright smile.

“The first time since ... I can’t remember ... I feel really good!” Milly cartwheeled across the campsite.

“Do you notice something new about your magic?” Tilly started to prepare breakfast.

“I didn’t look.” She stopped and closed her eyes for a while.

“There has to be something about the maid outfits at least.” I helped Tilly with her preparations.

“There is something, yes, but I think I need some time to examine it closer, but I think I need some time without interruption to check it out.” She hugged Tilly and I with a bright smile.

“We will have hopefully plenty of time in the approaching winter. It’s the end of summer and soon there will be Happy Harvest again, and we’re approaching Soltan, just like the first one.” Tilly hugged both of us with fervor.

“We’re equipped well enough at the moment.” I joined the group hug enthusiastically.

“They look cute together!” Caroline gave Loraline a wide smile.

“They do! I’m happy you feel better now Milly!” Loraline sat down on one of the blankets.

“I feel great! I could uproot a mountain!” Milly pulled us down on the other blanket.

“I’m not a mountain, Milly!” Tilly and I protested laughing.

“I can uproot you nonetheless.” Milly giggled and winked at us.

We had breakfast and continued our journey. We had gained plenty of altitude over the last weeks, but it was clear that this valley would end soon as a ridge was barring our way ahead. We would have to climb again for a day or two, and if my maps were correct we should be able to see the pass to Soltan from the ridge.

It was well in the afternoon on the next day, when we heard a big bang echoing through the valley from behind us. A dark cloud was looming over the northern mountain range which was still growing taller.

“Wow! That was loud!” Caroline looked at the rising plume of volcanic ash.

“The wind comes from the north, according to the clouds. We should be save for now.” I looked up into the sky, which was dotted with small white clouds.

“Let’s continue, while we can’t outrun a pyroclastic flow, we don’t want to stay either.” Milly frowned at the forming ash cloud.

“It’s probably not just the volcano, if this is a rare event there will be people coming here to check what happened in a few days.” I started walking again.

“It’s disconcerting.” Loraline shook her head.

“While exploding volcanoes are sight to behold, it’s nothing you want to be close to. Most eruptions aren’t that bad, but there a different types of volcanoes. They all can cause destruction but they differ widely in the way they do it.” I took a last look over my shoulder.

The dark cloud had started to spread out, but fortunately mostly to the south. It was advancing in our direction, but it wasn’t fast enough to reach us.

Towards the evening the elevation started to ramp up considerably. We found a decent place to rest under an overhanging piece of rock.

“Do you think the ash will reach us?” Milly looked west, furrowing her brows.

“Maybe, but the wind came from the north today, which is good. We should filter the ash out when it starts.” I bit my lower lip.

“I prepare a few masks just in case.” Milly started to rummage in her backpack.

“What’s the problem?” Loraline looked at me with wide eyes.

“The ash can kill you over time by settling down and hardening in your lungs. We should be okay with masks at the distance and with the direction of the wind.” I gave her a placating smile.

“It wonder what the situation in Soltan is. The cloud should be visible from the city as well.” Caroline leaned against the rock face.

“Sooner or later there will be people who want to examine the situation. We should avoid them, as they will slow us down.” I crossed my arms below my chest.

“Wouldn’t it be good to inform people about what you know about volcanoes?” Loraline looked at me with a slight frown.

“Well. Maybe. I’m sure there are people from the empire in Soltan looking out for us after all the time we went missing. I say it’s a big risk for us with probably questionable results. We don’t have real evidence for the things we know, and there is always the chance volcanoes are different here.” I shook my head.

“We might leave a written message, which is even less credible, but at least we had tried.” Milly looked down at her feet.

“That should be okay.” I nodded.

“Do you have a plan yet?” Tilly crossed her legs.

“Not for the pass, but generally I’d like to go east without being noticed. At the moment chances are good, that they had to spread out their forces, which means we have chances in a fight if we get unlucky. As soon as they’re able to focus on an area we’re fucked sooner or later. Fortunately they need time to relocate their forces, but the general situation will worsen the better they’re able to pinpoint our location. They won’t relocate local spies, but there was a troop after us in the first place. They split up and we managed to defeat some of them. The other ones are on their way back with the ring. At least that’s what we should assume. There maybe another reason for the ring returning, but assuming it’s used to catch us sooner or later is the safest. We go as fast and stealthy as we can unless the ring comes too close. This is the point where stealth becomes pointless, as we can’t hide from that thing.” I looked at the others.

“We need provisions for the winter though. I wonder if we can trade with the dwarves. We know the entrance to their realm.” Milly stared into space.

“We should try that first, because the risk getting exposed is the least as they keep away from humans.” I nodded at Milly.

“It would be a problem to get away from people we meet, as we’re all young women. Even if they’re benevolent they may hamper us because they want to protect us.” Loraline frowned.

“It will at least cost time.” Caroline shrugged.

“Time is essential at the moment. I want to at least cross the pass soon” I furrowed my brows.

“I’ll check the results of the rebinding.” Milly took a blanked from her backpack and spread it out a few meters away.

“I’m curious what it actually did.” I stretched myself.

“The connection to the slave mark is gone, so much is clear.” Tilly grinned at me.

“I hate the marks! The only thing I want to do with the mark it remove it!” Milly laid herself down on the blanket and closed her eyes.

The suns were long down behind the mountains, but it was getting dark.

“I’ll take the first watch.” I settled down on a large flat boulder at the side of the camp.

“Loraline and I take the second watch?” Caroline looked at Loraline.

“Yes.” Loraline nodded.

“I take the last one. Milly can choose however she wants.” Tilly yawned.

“Have a close eye to the west and wake everyone up if ash falls from the sky. We may want to move on in that case.” I crossed my legs and laid my halberd over my lap.

Soon everyone else was wrapped up in blankets. The nights were already pretty cold, especially when the sky was clear. The gambeson was warm enough, and taking short walks once in a while helped as well.

After a while Milly crawled out of her blankets.

“Hi Lilly.” she came over to me.

“Hi.” I got to my feet and gave her a hug.

“I want to try out the magic. I think the clothes I wear are in the way.” she grinned and winked at me.

“It will be cold, but go ahead.” I chuckled and leaned on my halberd.

“It won’t be for long.” She giggled while she started to undress.

“It still has something to do with clothes, hasn’t it?” I let my eyes stray.

“Enjoying the view?” She giggled.

“Beautiful mountains wherever I look.” I chuckled looking at her chest.

Suddenly Milly was in her maid outfit.

“Nice. It seems like it works like before.” She twirled in front of me.

“Then no real surprise here then.” I sat down on the boulder again.

“Works as expected.” She nodded and let the maid outfit vanish again.

“It would be nice to be able to swap it with something else, but at least the outfits are okay. I don’t really like them, but they are good light armor.” I watched her getting dressed again.

“What is my watch?” She sat down beside me.

“Either now or in the morning with Tilly.” I laid an arm around her waist.

“I stay with you for a few and join Tilly later in her watch.” She laid her arm around me as well.

“The western sky is pitch black.” I leaned into Milly for more warmth.

“I’m glad we got out of there without any serious injuries. It must have been scary. How do you feel now by the way.” Milly looked at me concerned.

“Much better. The situation itself was horrible, but in the hindsight without me panicking we could have left without a hassle. I’m going distrust thrones from now though.” I swept the surrounding terrain.

“Luckily we made it out of there safe.” She looked down the valley.

“We’re not completely out.” I waved at the dark cloud.

“Let’s hope the winds keeps blowing south.” She nodded

The rest of my shift was quiet. After a while Milly went sleeping.

I woke Caroline and Loraline after my shift was done and fell asleep almost instantly after finding a warm spot beside Tilly.

6