Chapter 6: Hana the Fox Spirit (First chapter of part 2)
262 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
No Ali point of view tonight. This is also a real (short length) chapter, not an April 1st thing.

Hana let out a deep breath, releasing with it her tension. She knew she had prepared well. Hana had hidden her fox spirit features, appearing as a beautiful colonial woman with rust colored hair; sharp, upturned yellow eyes; and a freckled nose. Her experience dealing with colonials and her mastery of charms and illusion gave her confidence that no one would suspect she did not belong in Fort Breslow. That she came there to infiltrate and sabotage.

The people-from-the-sea, these colonists, recently became troublesome to her people, native to the land now called Avalon. In her living memory, the colonists had been content to settle small coastal territories. They traded novel tools and materials with the native spirit people; Hana even considered some colonials friends. A few short years ago, their behavior changed. Now, their lumberjacks over-harvested the ancient jungle, even felling trees who had souls; and hunters ranged deeper to the interior, slaughtering both monstrous and spiritual beasts alike.

After arriving in the city, Hana contacted her few local connections, who reported that these changes began with the arrival of an ambitious new leader come from the home country Oestland, a man they called the viceroy or Lord Cavendish. Of greater import, she discovered details for her target.

In three days, the colonials expected to send out an armed cargo vessel they called Saint Rose. Hana determined the ship’s cargo included, among other valuables bound for Oestland, captured juvenile spiritual beasts. She wanted to bring those back alive to Avalon.

The fox spirit later climbed to a high point in town and took out a paper slip adorned with a complicated design. She folded the talisman into a butterfly, whispered to it, and let it silently fly away. It carried a message, bound to her partner’s unique meridian pattern, a means to prevent interception. She reported what she had learned about the Saint Rose and gave a new time to proceed with their capture scheme.

Hana then easily arranged her future passage on the Saint Rose, beguiling the chief mate that she was an influential woman returning home to Oestland. Having accomplished this goal, she took the remaining couple days to explore the city and to familiarize herself with the ship itself. The Saint Rose belonged to a type of ships the colonials called galleons, three-masted, multi-decked ocean-going vessels that could carry heavy loads of both cargo and weapons. Hana concealed her presence and masked her physical form as she snooped about. She noted in particular, routes to traverse through the ship, locations of potential weak points, and an area that she expected to soon hold the live cargo. Satisfied with her survey, she went out into the city.

Fort Breslow had changed greatly since her last visit. The colonials became more numerous with each passing year, both Avalon-born and arriving from their ships. She noted with approval that some colonials had adopted animist religion. Regardless of whether their beliefs were true, she hoped they would damper enthusiasm to exploit the territory. Hana also caught wind of a deadly riot at the military prison. That the fortress garrison caged their criminals baffled her; as the other colonials and even some spirits preferred to strike, fine, or publicly shame as punishment; but she considered it nothing of her concern how different groups of people conducted themselves if they didn’t affect her.

Hana caught up with current trends among so-called monster hunters. She met with a forthright group to pump for information: an outgoing, young, blonde, spellmaster and archer Mattias; a friendly, dark-skinned, tall empty-hand martial artist Mariana, two enormous spearmasters Ruther and Ruthie; and others with them who provided little memorable conversation.

These hunters boasted of their recent victories against increasingly dangerous foes, eager to celebrate, spend their earnings, receive praise, or air grievances.

In addition to bounties posted by other colonists, the new viceroy now pushed hunters to expand colonial influence, to explore and tame the surrounding wilderness. Hana expected that most hunters didn’t mean any ill, they desired often to improve their cultivation or acquire wealth. She believed their actions still caused harm. Hunting had always been invasive, but previously they usually stuck to protecting the other colonials’ activities, rather than seeking out prey and resources further and further afield.

Soon, the Saint Rose’s departure would draw near, so Hana prepared to board and complete her purpose there.

15