Chapter 44
105 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I don’t get it. Why would we even want to visit a dungeon?” Jack asked.

The expression ‘rude awakening’ doesn’t even come close to what he and the others experienced that morning. Apparently, it was for a good reason, but Jack didn’t see it. A dungeon?

It was as they walked through the forest, on their way to Helmrest, to meet Elia and magic-guy, that Moran tried his best to explain what Elia sent him to fetch them for.

“Because! Dungeons are filled with treasure! I heard tales saying there is no such thing as a safe dungeon, but we have a map for this one.”

Jack nodded, trying his best to understand what this all meant, but failed miserably. Whenever he thought about what a dungeon was, he could only picture a big, gloomy… basement. He did have the feeling that he was forgetting something, but nothing more came to mind.

He turned a blank face towards Brom. The dwarf saw it as took it for the plea it was intended as.

“Dungeons are more than storerooms for treasure and artifacts. It is true that they are often that or even reliquaries, but more than just that. They are places of power, where lost people and civilizations had hidden their greatest works. Kingdoms and peoples are often lost to time and what they leave behind are often dungeons.”

“Why?” Jack asked.

“I… don’t follow.”

Why store your national treasure in a dungeon? Why not trade it or… I don’t know, hide it somewhere?”

“Some nations do hide them. Those places are also called dungeons. And often, though I am far from an expert, kingdoms perish without taking into account their own mortality. They stockpile their treasures, not willing to face the fact that some day their kingdom will fade. When it inevitably does, what is left remains buried and hidden. That is how some believe dungeons come to be.”

“Right. So, dungeons aren’t actual dungeons. Not big, dark basement, but more like treasuries?”

The dwarf laughed.

“I can see from where your confusion stems. Yes, the term is a catch-all. And it is applied to a number of things, from tombs, to hidden catches, to entire sub-layers of lost cities. But given that they almost always hide treasure and they are almost always dangerous, people had taken to calling them dangerous.”

“Brom says people. I says adventurers.” The ratling added.

“I think I get it.” Jack said.

“No, you don’t.” Ava laughed. “I can see it on your face, don’t pretend to get it when you don’t.”

Ignoring Ava’s teasing, Jack went back to asking for clarifications.

“And they’re dangerous because the artifacts inside have magical powers? Or are cursed?”

“Sometimes, yes.” The dwarf said, stroking his beard. “But that is not the primary reason. Think of the manor we have just raided, Jack. Had the lord of it been a king, he would have had more anti-theft enchantments placed. Had his treasure be worth of a kingdom, or indeed, belonging to a kingdom, the protective enchantments placed on it would have been far more dangerous. That is true for most dungeons. Dangerous enough that, usually, only adventurers seek them out.”

“I see. But we have a map now so that let’s us bypass these defenses?”

“Hah!” Ava laughed. “I’d like that. Imagine just waltzing in and walking out rich.”

“Mrk not thinks map helps with traps. Not how dungeons work.”

“You know how they work, Mrk?” Jack asked.

The ratling nodded.

“When can, ratlings make warren in cleared dungeons. Sometimes, adventurers come, we help. Only ask for dungeon after they take care of danger. Old ratlings speak stories. Sometimes, adventurers have maps. Maps help them find dungeon. Not fight dungeon.”

“Mrk is probably right. I do not believe this map is anything but a tool to point us in the right direction. Unless you know anything else?” he asked Moran.

“No, sorry. I just know what Elia told me, which is what I’ve told you. The only thing she stressed was to go and get you all and do it quick.”

“Well, I guess we’ll see what all this is about soon enough. We’re almost there.” Jack said, pointing ahead, where the village could already be seen behind the trees.

To their surprise, it wasn’t Elia or Lola or even the mysterious magic user who was waiting for them, at the edge of the Village. It was Pickle. At their prodding, he explained that Lola was as busy as always, but that she and Elia would make their appearance later. Pickle was to usher them to the mage.

“A mage?” Brom asked. “That must be expensive.”

“You bet it was.” Answered Pickle. “Since he’s not only a mage, but a |Mage|.”

Brom would have probably liked to ask more reasonable questions, but he was drowned out by the sudden noise coming from Jack, Moran and Ava. They each had their question and Pickle didn’t manage to answer them before they came to the house where the |Mage| was located.

“The magic man is inside, boys and girls. Try not to rush him. I don’t know if Elia pays him by the hour.” Pickle laughed and after sending them in, went on his way.

 After entering the abode, Jack was rewarded with the sight of a man clearly in his mid-forties. His hair was entirely gray, though with no signs of balding. A wispy beard adorned his face and he carried a rough wooden staff, that looked like it wasn’t used for much other than walking. His robes were long, but brown and simple.

Yet for all that, the man had sharp eyes. When he saw them, he smiled and bowed.

“Adventurers of Helmrest. My name is Aure, |Mage| Level 21. I have been hired by the Village Head of Helmrest to inspect the artifacts you have recovered and determine their properties. I have also been instructed to tell you of what I have found.”

The spoke genially, like before an audience. Jack figured the man must have done this hundreds of times before. Also, Level 21?

He’s old, fair enough, but he definitely has something to show for it.

Jack was also surprised that the man didn’t show any ill intent towards Ava. He could understand Lola and Moran, but he was a total stranger. Then again, he was a mage. If Jack had the spell to fix it, Aure most likely did too.

“Well met, master Aure.” Brom spoke, the first of them to recover perhaps.

“Aure if fine. I have not yet reached the level required to call myself master.” The man smiled.

“My name is Jack, sir. This is Brom, Mrk, Ava and Moran. Thank you for working with what we’ve brought.”

“Oh, there’s no need for thanks.” The man laughed. “Ms. Elia is paying me quite nicely and it’s always a pleasure to inspect magical artifacts. Now, should I tell you all what I have uncovered?”

With all of them nodding, Aure went on.

“I will start with the chest. The potions inside are of a very high quality. I understand some of them were used, but of those that remain, you have eight Healing Potions, two Health Potions, four Stamina Potions and one potion of Strength and Iron Skin each.”

“What the difference between the Health and Healing potions?” Jack asked, before he could help himself.

To his surprise, the mage didn’t seem upset about being interrupted. Instead, he smiled and answered Jack’s question.

“A Healing Potion does exactly what its name says. It heals. It can be applied orally or locally. Once applied, any number of wounds will close, internal bleeding will be stemmed and other maladies ended. It is a generalist potion and the its effectiveness can depend on how the potions was administered and of the quality of said potion. And as I said, these are all of a high quality.”

So that’s how Moran managed to heal us so quickly.

“A Health Potion, on the other hand, increased the user’s health. I understand ‘health’, in this context, may seem like a hard term to grasp. However, practically, its effects are simple. Once taken, the user will increase his normal ‘health’, in the sense that magic and wounds that would otherwise slow or incapacitate him or her will have less of an effect. Injuries can still accumulate, but those taken when the user is under the effect of such a potion will have less of an impact as they only drain at a magically increased ‘health’ and not the user’s own.”

Jack looked around to see if he was the only one a little fuzzy and found that the others were similarly cross-eyed.

“It might be hard to grasp when out in words,” Aure smiled “but I am told adventurers better learn its effects when they first experience them. Now, on to the other findings.”

So said, he reached for the cloak they used to carry the weapons in.

“This cloak has not one, but three enchantments placed on it, though they are all minor. The first enchantment cloaks the wearer in magical shadow. It makes one harder to spot at night, though it has the adverse effect in daylight. Yet, I believe during the day it can also be used to frighten those of poor spirit. The second enchantment is a protective one. It saps any blow or projectile from part of its kinetic energy. Simply said, it cushions blows taken. Sadly, it does not have any effect on magic. The third enchantment makes it resize itself to the wearer’s dimensions. Other than that, I can say that the material from which it is made resists normal amount of wear and tear, though repeated abuse might make it wear down in time.”

Aure then gave the item a critical look.

“Given where you have obtained this from, I believe the article to be noble’s aid in sneaking away from danger. Or, perhaps, it was used to covertly visit one’s mistress in the dead of night.”

He shrugged, amusedly and pointed next at a series of scrolls spread on a table.

“Out of the series of scrolls you have recovered, a few are of no use other than historical and one I will let your Village Head discuss. These are the ones that hold magical properties.”

“When is he getting to the weapons?” Ava whispered.

Ava.” Brom grunted, while Jack and Mrk held in their laughter.

Aure either didn’t hear or didn’t let it bother him, because he continued speaking normally.

“I must first say that out of these six scrolls, only one is not a single use one. The rest will be destroyed once the magical effect takes shape. The one that will not be is this one.” He said, pointing at a rolled-up scroll.

It looked a bit different too. All the other scrolls had a wax seal keeping them in their rolled-up form, but this one was kept together by a red band of silk, neatly tied into a small bow.

“I’ve analyzed the magic inscribed on this scroll and I believe it to be a Blood Contract.”

Brom drew in a sharp breath and when Jack looked at him, he only muttered “Old magic.”

“For those of you that do not know,” Aure explained “a Blood Contract is a method of signing a deal between two parties, both if which have to contribute a drop of blood for the magic to take effect. Once done, should either party break the agreed upon oath, that individual will be killed by the blood magic bund in this scroll. It is, of course, possible that only one party be bound by the oath, but only a fool would take such a deal. I have not been able to learn the exact way death will be imparted, but I do not think it can be avoided, not unless the one is a very high-leveled individual. Damage to this scroll will not end the magic either, not after the contract has been signed.”

He then gave them a look, as if he was addressing children. In a way, he was.

“I do not know what your Village Head or you will do with this scroll. But I must urge you to use it wisely. Its magic is powerful and its effects lethal.”

They hurriedly nodded and the mage returned to his seemingly smiling personality.

“Good. Now, for the single use scrolls. These two are Healing Scrolls, superfluous given the potions, yet I suppose they have the added benefit of being able to be used at a distance, on a different individual other than the user. Yet, its effects are only comparable to that of a low to medium quality Healing Potion. Next, we have one scroll each of Fireball, Firetrap and Fireshield. Quite the pyromaniac, this lord. The scrolls can be activated by opening them and laying a hand on the writing within.”

He left the table and moved over to a wooden rack.

“And that brings me to the weapons you have uncovered.”

“Finally.” Ava muttered.

Brom didn’t get a chance to scold her this time.

“Yes, young Satyr, finally.” Aure laughed. “I confess, I have had the most fun analyzing these weapons, out of all the artifacts you have retrieved. Is there any one you wish me to start with?”

“Uh, the bow?” Ava responded, slightly embarrassed.

“I thought you might say that. The bow has several small enchantments and one significant one. It is enchanted for durability, low weight and for allowing the user to draw an arrow back without exerting the normal amount of effort.” He said, pointing at the bow in question.

To Jack, it looked like a normal longbow, though he guessed without the magical field in the manor, most artifacts looked like normal objects until they were used.

“As you can observe, the ends of the bow are reminiscing of blades. They are also enchanted for sharpness, which is why I believe they can be used as a last resort weapon. A final shielding enchantment makes it capable of blocking and parrying, though again, I believe the bow should only be used as a… spear, I suppose, as a last resort. As for the primary effect, I believe I will demonstrate.”

So saying, the make nocked an arrow, somewhat clumsily drew and aimed it at a round wooden target, on the opposite wall. He let it loose and when the arrow made impact, the wooden target burst into flames. He laughed at their slack jawed reactions.

“Yes, quite impressive. Any arrow, magical or not, fired from this bow, gains this added affect. It will make any target burst into flames, though the fire itself is non-magical. It can be used for five arrows, before it needs time to recharge. A mage might recharge it, but I hear you do not have amongst you.”

Ava immediately pinned her eyes on Jack and he sighed internally.

Why do I have the feeling she’ll be asking me to learn a ‘recharge’ Spell?

“Out of the entire ensemble of weapons you have brought back, only a few are magical, besides the bow. The rest I believe your Village Head has placed in the village armory.”

“I didn’t even know Helmrest had an armory.” Jack found himself saying.

“It does not.” Elia said, opening the door, followed close by Lola. “My apologies, Mage Aure, I didn’t mean to interrupt. Guys, excuse e for being late, I had errands to run. I will let Mage Aure finish his demonstration before we can talk.” She said, nodding at the mage.

Elia looked… intense. Even more than her usual self. She was still smiling, though, which Jack though was a good sign. Lola herself looked a little like that, but she waved at them and they waved back.

“Thank you, Village Head. As I was saying, not all of your… ‘loot’ was magical in nature, but these here are. We have here a pair of long-knives, with both Piercing and Cutting enchantments placed on them. Good steel, too. They should be able to pierce unenchanted metal plate, with enough force placed behind them.” He said, before moving on to the next weapon.

It looked like a normal axe, though it had a spike at the top.

“This axe is enchanted for durability and lightweight. Its primary enchantment however, is a two-fold Enlargement. Its shaft can elongate, allowing more reach and the axe head can expand, increasing the length of its edge. There is a sharpness enchantment placed on it as well, though not a very high quality one. Next to it we have this shield.” He said, pointing to a round wooden shield.

It looked to be made of wooden panels, with a round piece of metal at the center and a leather rim.

“It has a lightweight enchantment and a high-grade durability one. I believe most arrows will not able to lodge themselves in it and normal edges will not leave a mark. Its primary enchantment is also remarkable. It can absorb part of the kinetic energy in the blows it receives, same as the cloak, cushioning said blows. But more than that, it can also store it and when the user wishes to, release it.”

“A Blowback shield.” Brom said, with something like reverence.

“That is one of the terms used for such items, yes.” The mage said smiling. “Of course, there is a limit to how much energy it can absorb and of it is not released while still blocking other strikes, the magic inside the shield might actually harm it. Still, this is a very fine enchantment.”

It amused Jack to see that Brom was eyeing the shield the same way Ava was eyeing the bow. It was regrettable that Elia would have to sell these items to make coin for Helmrest.

Maybe I can convince her to allow us to keep one of these weapons. After all, we’ll be in the front lines against Amenor.

“That is all I have discovered. If you do not have any questions, I will depart and leave you with your Village Head.”

“I have one!” Jack said, acting on instinct. “You’re Level 21. That’s high-level, right?”

“Well, not high level enough for an imperial court, but I believe I have reached quite high for my age.” Aure said, reserved, but visibly pleased with the compliment.

“I see. So, can you teach magic to others? Like Spells?”

“Oh. It has never been asked of me. But I have studied under mentors as well, so I believe I can teach a few tricks to a someone wanting to follow my steps. You wish to gain a |Mage| Class, young man?”

“Ah, no. I can’t gain another Class for… a few reasons.” Jack said, though Aure smiled knowingly.

“I see. I am afraid magic does not come easily to those without magically-inclined Classes. A few other Classes received spells, but I am afraid even those come to learn magic at only exceedingly high levels.”

“Right. Uhm… and if I already have Spells? Would it be easier then?”

“Already… have Spells?” the mage asked incredulously.

“Yeah. I have |Ensnaring Vines| and |Dispel Compulsion|”.

The mage gaped for a few seconds, before almost yelled at Jack.

“You have received Spells without having a magical Class? You’re not a |Magical Swordsman| or have any other magically compounded Classes, correct? No, I thought not. And you are obviously too low-levelled to received a Spell via other Classes. Even those that received them are usually royal in nature. No, don’t looked peeved young man, I am not insulting you, I am simply observing your young age. To think that you have received spell via a normallow-leveled Class. Extraordinary! Please, tell me, in what Class did you obtain such magic?”

Aure was babbling, looking more animated than he had ever been for the short time they knew him. It really seemed that the mage was interested in all things magic, if the childish enthusiasm was anything to go by.

Too bad Jack had to disappoint him.

“It wasn’t in a specific Class. Honestly. I just got them. The circumstances around how I received them are not… normal, I guess. But they’re not tied in to any Class. Does that affect my ability to learn other Spells from you?”

If Aure had been enthusiastic before, now he was completely still. His mouth was partly open.

“Floating Spells?” he finally said. “What you describe are floating Spells. And you have two of them.”

“And that’s… rare?” Jack tried.

“Rare?” the mage laughed, but he was looking more composed. “Young man, in theory anyone can learn Spells without having a magical Class. Skills too, for that matter. But the sheer effort this entails. You mentioned the circumstances under which you acquired them weren’t normal. I can imagine that. I really would like to know more.”

“Perhaps at a different time, Mage Aure.” Elia cut in. “There is something urgent I need to discuss with them.”

The mage reared back as if slapped, though Elia’s tone was gentle.

“Oh. Yesh, of course. Please forgive me, it seems I have lost myself. It was a pleasure to meet you all. Perhaps we shall meet again. And, time willing, I would like to continue our discussion, young man.”

Sure thing.” Jack said.

The mage took his leave and that’s when Lola started gushing.

“Finally. I was worried sick about you all! Are you alright? I heard that you were hurt and that Moran saved you. Thank you, Moran, honestly thank you! Are you all alright now? Do you need anything?”

“Lola!” Jack laughed. “We’re fine. Takes more than an ogre and a cursed armor to get us down.”

“Technically, the armor wasn’t-“ Brom started.

“Besides, we went in, got the loot and came back. Nothing to worry. And now Elia has all these weapons she can trade to help Helmrest.”

“Yes. About that.” The orange eyes woman said.

Lola looked like she wanted to worry a little more, but after hearing Elia speak, she refrained. Whatever Elia had thought of, it seemed Lola was in on it.

Then why doesn’t she look as happy as Elia?

“Among the non-magical scrolls you have retrieved, there was a map. With the help of Mage Aure, we have been able to find out that the map leads to a dungeon. Before you ask, I have already sworn Mage Aure to secrecy, so that is no source of worry.”

“I wasn’t going to ask, actually.” Jack said. “I’m guessing this is a sensitive business.”

“It is.” Elia breathed out. “For those of you no in the know, dungeons are massive sources of coin, in treasure and monster parts both. Relics are usually found at the heart of them. Some dungeons have been known for hundreds of years and still haven’t been completely cleared. Some, by their very nature, cannot be cleared. The fact that adventurers still dive in them regularly tells all you need to know about how profitable they are.”

She looked at them intently before continuing.

“However, most dungeons have already been ransacked. Yes, they still provide a steady income for those brave enough to enter them, but the most valuable objects have already been looted. That is why a new dungeon is almost invaluable. And from the location uncovered on the map and me obtaining information, this dungeon is a new dungeon.”

“A virgin dungeon.” Brom said.

“What?” Ava laughed.

The dwarf looked a little embarrassed, but responded.

“It is a rude term, but its how adventurers name them. Are you sure this dungeon is of this kind?”

“Positive.” Responded Elia. “I have checked multiple times and there is no reported dungeon in the region. We have the only existing proof of its existence. And there is more!”

She had that usual madwoman smile on her face now. The same she wore when she told Jack she’d be running for Village Head. It made Jack feel better. Each time Elia smiled like that, things wound up getting better for everyone.

She pulled a scroll out of her coat and shown it to them.

“This is a recreation of the map. But what it shows is the general layout of the dungeon.” She said, grinning from ear to ear.

“And internal map?” Brom asked, in awe. “Adventurers would kill for something like this.”

“Ratlings would kill to. With this, ratlings can make own warren. I think. No need of adventurers.”

“Does it show what’s in the dungeon?” Ava asked. “Like, what treasure or danger you can expect from it?”

“Sadly, it does not.” Confessed Elia. “Would have been too much of a good thing. And I’m honestly not sure such a map even exists. Still, this is a goldmine. And one I wish to discuss with you.”

Jack was about to ask what, when he noticed Lola. She looked… upset. Almost angry.

“Lola, are you alright?”

The young woman shot a last look at Elia, before saying her piece.

“Elia’s plan is to ask you if you want to raid this dungeon. Which I am not comfortable with.”

“Lola.” Elia said, losing part of her smile. “We’ve been over this. We could see the artifacts and this map, but it will still only give us enough coin to hire maybe half the number of guards, compared to what Amenor will be sending our way.”

“We are still training the Village Watch, are we not? They will supplement the number of guards we hire. And Helmrest’s very own adventuring team fill fight for us.”

“True.” Said Elia, now tiredly. “But that would still bring our total number up to maybe three quarters of what they have. And our guards will be hired. There’s no telling whether they will stay and fight or flee in front of professional soldiers.”

“It’s still too much to ask this of them!” Lola snapped.

Jack had never seen Lola act like that. Especially with Elia, who had given her shelter and help when no one else would. But he came to know Lola, enough that he could tell that she wasn’t angry at Elia, not really. She was worried and it manifested like… well, like that.

He understood her. They joked about it, but they did get close to death a couple of times in the last few days. And Jack had the inkling that what they experienced was nothing compared to a dungeon. But what Lola wanted, to play it safe… there was a time, really not that long ago, when he would have been fine with that. Why take the risk?

But that was not the way to go forward. You can’t grow, if you hide behind safety.

“Lola.” He said. “I get that you’re worried. I do. But I still think we should at least hear Elia out.”

She frowned and hovered on the edge of saying something, but finally nodded.

“Right.” Elia said, smiling again. “Well, there are a few risks to this plan. I’ll tell you why I still think it’s a good idea in a bit, but first I want to outline what I think to be the biggest risk, because if that makes you deem this whole affair unworthy, then it’s not worth spelling out the rest of the plan.”

Jack nodded and saw that the others were listening intently too.

“As I said, this dungeon is unexplored and only we know that it even exists. The bad part is that it’s located out west, part of a neighboring Baron’s kingdom. So, if we don’t do this carefully, we might not face a fight with a single kingdom, but two.” She said, enthusiasm visible on her face.

Oh, just the risk of angering another kingdom? No biggie.

5