Chapter 53
67 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jack felt the day should have ended then and there. He was tired. He was a little bit drunk. Well, a little bit more than that. But the excitement kept him awake. It was the same for his friends too. The sigh of relief Brom had let out, after finding out Jack was not a… Jack, had probably emptied his lungs. Ava reacted by starting to laugh, while Moran slowly reached for a jug to refill his cup. Mrk quietly inched his cup closer to Moran’s, hoping for a refill.

The only Skill Jack got to test was |Sense Allies|. It was like lights inside his mind, only not visual. He could tell at all times here his friends were and even how close or how far. He Would have wished to test the other two Skills as well, but he was too sloshed for a speech and he couldn’t really use the charging Skill. Who would they have charged?

Still, this brought up another interesting point.

“So, that was me. But I wanted to ask. Did anyone else gain any new Skills? Or any changes at all?”

Brom opened his mouth, but Ava beat him to the punch.

“I’ll go first! No new Classes or new Skills, but that’s to be expected with me. However, my |Outcast| Class did go down to Level 6. Since I know what very well what that means, thank you a bunch! And since you know how awesome I am, you may now applaud.”

She preened, like she usually does. But after a few seconds of that, her smile faltered a little.

“I thought we’d be doing this back at Helmrest. That’s why I didn’t… share until now. But just know that I’m really grateful for you guys. …UGH! Booze makes me emotional. Alright, now I’m going!”

With that, she stood up and made her way towards the stairs.

“Ava is getting rid of her |Outcast| Class and Jack has gained a new Class as well.” Brom said. “That is good. For myself, I-“

Ouch! What the-“

Everyone turned to Moran, who was now massaging the back of his head, after spitting out a mouthful of ale.

“Moran is good?” Mrk asked.

“Uh, yeah…” he said, before looking at Brom. “Hey, Brom? I just realized, I’m pretty tired as well. Mind if I tell my part first? I’ll pick up what you guys said tomorrow.”

“Oh. Well, I don’t mind if-“

“Great! Like I’ve said, my only Class so far is |Paramedic|. I don’t know if it’s because I was low level or because I had to heal you guys a lot, but I both leveled up and got new Skills. I’m now Level 8. My new Skills are |Numbing Hands| and |Hemorrhage Stop (Minor)|. Only got to sue the first one, but it seemed to do exactly what you’d think it’d do. Now, I’m off to bed.”

Just like Ava, he got up and walked straight for the stairs.

Poor guy. He must be wasted.

“I think that may be even better than my new Class.” Jack mused. “I mean, think about it. We can get better Classes and Skills and we can get more and more powerful artifacts. But the threats coming our way are probably only going to get bigger. Having a kind of… healer on our team is invaluable on the long run.”

“Have many Healing Potions good too.” Mrk opined. “But I agrees with Jack.”

“I imagine |Numbing Hands| does exactly that. Moran’s hands probably have numbing qualities. Useful for a combat healer. It could come in handy in Helmrest as well.” Brom said.

Jack could see that. Useful on the battlefield as well as outside of it.

“But, uh, |Hemorrhage Stop|. I think that has something to do with blood?” he asked.

“Yes.” The dwarf nodded. “From its name, I believe it would stem the flow of blood, inside an injury. Again, quite useful. A shame it is only minor.”

“Minor means little injuries?” Mrk asked.

“Or the stemming itself is only partial.” Brom responded. “I imagine we will find out, sooner or later.”

Well, that’s a sobering thought.

Only it wasn’t. The mugs of ale and glasses of spirits took care of that.

“I have suffered changes as well.” The dwarf said. “Both my Classes’ Levels have changed and I have gained a new Skill. But more than that, I have recovered an old Skill, previously lost.”

“No way!” Jack exclaimed. “Well don’t just stand there grinning. Tell us what it is.”

“Very well.” He said, but he was still smiling proudly. “The Skill is called… my apologies. It is called… Do you all hear that?”

The question displaced Jack from his excited frame of mind. Now that nobody talked and he intently listened, he could hear a dull, repetitive, thumping sound. It was coming from somewhere above. Perhaps the roof?

“Mrk hears it. I not knows what it is.”

“Giant woodpeckers, maybe?” Jack asked. “Thinks it’s a threat?”

“I am unsure. Thought, if it is, we have Maleh and the mage with us.”

“True. I think we’re all just a little bit too jumpy after the dungeon. Ignore it. Now, what was the Skill?”

“Ah, yes. The Skill I have reclaimed is called |Rockskin|. I had it back when my |Axe Guard| Class was of a higher Level. I gained it because, I believe, my Class has jumped from Level 7 to Level 9. But I have also gained a new Skill. |Weapon Expertise (Medium): Axe|.”

“That awesome!” Jack cheered.

“Yes. Mrm wished my weapon Skills is medium too.”

“But wait, you said both your Classes suffered changes, right?”

“I did. My |Oathbreaker| Class has decreased to Level 7. In time, perhaps I may be rid of it once and for all.”

“You will, buddy. Don’t you worry.” Jack smiled at him. “Now, I get that you’re better with an axe, but the rockskin Skill really does what I think it does?”

“I believe so. When those soldiers assaulted me, I should have been stabbed half to death. Instead, I only received a few serious injuries.”

“Huh. You’re really taking the role of group brawler seriously.”

The dwarf only snorted happily at that.

Jack turned to ask Mrk what changes he got, when he noticed him peeking straight up, frowning. When he noticed Jack looking at him, he shrugged.

“Mrk thought I hears someone laughing. I think I drinks too much.”

“Jack think that applies to all of us.” He laughed. “So, what did you get Mrk?”

“Mrk only got one Skill. But big Skill.” The ratling grinned. “I gets big Skill because I am now Level 10 |Rogue|. Skill is |Weapon Recall|.”

Seeing the confused look on their faces, the ratling demonstrated. He retrieved one of his knives and threw it towards the nearby wall, the long-knife embedding itself in it.

“|Weapon Recall|” Mrk said.

With a slight shake, the knife flew out of the wall and back into Mrk’s hand.

“Not works so good on big weapons. And only works a few times. And Mrk thinks weapon not come if someone is holding it. But Mrk says is good Skill.”

“It’s a great Skill.” Brom exclaimed. “If it gets stronger, you could be an axe thrower that carries only a single axe.”

“Mrk likes knives.” The ratling shrugged.

Jack had to laugh at that. Not at Mrk’s display or at Brom finally smiling. No, he was laughing because he was happy that they were finally getting stronger. Maybe it was the alcohol in them, but he actually felt like they had a real chance against Amenor, The Baron’s help included or not.

They talked a little more after that, though they made the mistake of wetting their throats with a little more ale, so the discussion quickly turned unpronounceable. One by one, they made their way upstairs as well, to their rooms, where they could finally get a long-deserved sleep.

I’m not home, but… I’m among friends. Maybe this is what home is after all.

***

Waking up was hard. Jack had a single experience with being hangover, but it was nothing like this. He felt like his entire head was threatening to split open. His hands clumsily found the jug of water in his room and he drank greedily. Which did nothing to ease his pain, but at least he wasn’t thirsty anymore.

Internally cursing the ale, the spirits, the innkeeper, himself and everything else, Jack made his way out of his room and headed towards the dining hall. Perhaps some food would do him some good. To his surprise, he wasn’t the first one to arrive. Indeed, he was among the last.

Both Maleh and Nadun were there, having breakfast and chatting lightly with Brom and Mrk. Lightly, because both of his friends seemed to be sporting the same type of headaches, if their winces whenever any loud sound was heard were any indication.

“Morning.” Jack said tiredly.

Maleh took one look at him and had to suppress a grin.

“Seems you have been struck by the same fate as that of your friends. Busy night?”

“You could say that. You said that it was a tradition to get drunk, after your first quest as adventurers?”

“I did.”

“I liked it. But I don’t really like the aftereffects.”

“That’s also a part of the tradition.” Maleh laughed, with Brom and Mrk wincing at the sound.

“Normally, the tradition is observed with a mage at hand. Or hangover potions, at the very least.” The mage told him.

That must have been one of the only times the Mage Sergeant ever addressed him directly.

“I get the second part. But why a mage?”

“For recovery spells, of course. Simple tricks, but quite useful.”

It was a good thing Nadun was looking at Jack, since that meant he didn’t notice the baleful looks Brom and Mrk were sending his way. Jack could understand.

If it’s that simple, why not use them on us?

Then again, Maleh might be friendly with them, but that was probably the man’s personality. Nadun owed them nothing.

“I guess that’s my fault. I sort of fill the position of team ‘mage’, but I only have a few spells. Guess I’m a ways off from getting to your caliber.”

The man looked at him searchingly, but finally nodded. He then searched inside his robe and retrieved a blueish potion.

“Take this and drink it. If you are capable of spells, a mana potion would better take care of a hangover than the spell I know. As for your friends. |Clear Mind|. |Invigorate|.”

He cast the spells on both Brom and Mrk and the two flinched, as if coming alive. Jack hurried to down the potion, eager to get the pain behind him. The effect was almost instant. It wasn’t like he couldn’t feel the hangover anymore. But it went from straight pain, to just something annoying, in the back of his head. It was a weigh off his shoulders. The same with his friends.

“I feel like I can breathe again.” Brom said. “My thanks, Mage Nadun.”

“Thanks.” Said Mrk.

“You could have done that from the start.” Maleh said.

In response, the mage sniffed.

“Magic is precious. And disposing of a hangover by this method lowers the body’s natural resistance. Now. The spells I used on you two are not ant-alcohol. They are general spells. If you do not eat and drink water, the pain will return. And you.” He said, turning to Jack.

“You will find that doing magic will come easier for a few hours. Perhaps a day. Be careful that you do not overpower your spells, should you try to cast any.”

Since his mind was clear, Jack spotted an opportunity that he would have missed, had he still been on the bend. Well, maybe not exactly an opportunity. Perhaps ‘shot in the dark’ is a more apt term.

“Thank you, Mage Nadun, for helping me and my friends both. I wanted to ask you something. I have recently begun trying to extend my range of Spells. I started with the |Bolt| Spell and mastered it, but I have yet to master the |Barrier| Spell. I understand the trip to Helmrest will take half of this day. Would it be possible to ask you to tutor me for this length of time?”

His friends looked at him wide-eyed. That was the most eloquent they had ever heard him speak. Which was true. Jack truly was serious about his growth and enlarging his magical repertoire was part of this. Which is why he had tried his best to speak ‘nicely’. And almost gotten an aneurysm for composing that sentence.

Half and half chances I get offered a |Diplomat| Class for this.

The mage wavered, half of him being generally annoyed by Jack and his friends and half being genuinely impressed. The tipping point came from the commander.

“Teach the lad, Nadun. It’s only half a day. Besides, you’re always complaining no one is using magic ‘properly’ these days. Here’s your chance to teach the next generation.”

“Very well.” The mage finally said. “You will ride next to me. I will attempt to teach you this spell. Good choice, I must say. Most beginner mages try to learn attack spells and neglect to cement their bases in the process.”

“Thank you, mage Nadun.” Jack said, neglecting to mention that it had been Aure’s idea.

Jack himself would have very much liked to learn |Fireball|.

That was the moment Ava and Moran came down the stairs. They leisurely chatting, but stopped when they saw five pairs of eyes aimed at them.

“W- what?” Moran stammered.

“You come you guys aren’t affected by the hangover?” Jack asked. “Normally, I’d think it was something to do with Satyr bodies, but you Moran seemed to be fine too.”

“Uh… uh-“

“Physical exercise!” Ava chimed in, grinning. “Nothing takes the edge off like working off a sweat.”

Doing push-ups in the morning after a night of drinking seemed like torture to Jack, but on the other hand, the two seemed to be absolutely glowing. The others were eyeing them with the same skeptical look as Jack, though perhaps their trains of thought were slightly different than his.

“Weirdos. Anyway, come on, have some breakfast. We probably have to leave in a few minutes.”

Jack’s prediction came true. He expected it would take a while to gather all the soldiers, but as they exited the in, he found the small army standing to attention in front of them. True to his word, Nadun procured a horse for Jack and had him ride along. Until they reached Helmrest, his friends had to suffer his absence in their carriage.

Nadun was not as stuck up as a teacher as he was an ally, Jack found. Nearly, but not the same. The mage walked Jack through the spell he wanted to learn better than even Aure. He taught him to feel the magic flowing inside him. When he couldn’t, he told Jack to push as much magic through his body as he could. Never mind that it exhausted him. That’s what mana potion were for.

So, he did. He burned out his entire mana supply. He did it more than once. Until he was finally able to feel magic itself flowing through his body. Though it wasn’t flowing ‘through’. Not exactly. He got a sense of it, but it wasn’t like it was pooling inside his hand or stomach or head. He told Nadun as much.

“That is normal. We teach young mages to feel the magic inside their bodies because it is something they can picture more easily than more abstract terms. But yes, magic in not found somewhere directly inside your body. It is simply somewhere inside you. Now, try and direct the magic.”

That was on another level of hard. Nadun had Jack use one of his Spells. |Bolt| was the easiest, so it was the perfect choice. Then, he had Jack shot the spell, alternating from one hand to the next. That took some concentration, but was doable in the end. His final requirement was to try and shoot the spell from both hands at the same time. Not two spells at once. The same spell.

“Some mages use a similar technique t teach themselves dual casting. That is not our purpose. You will try to do this, in order to obtain a sense of magical balance. Keep your spell poised between two outputs and make sure it does not escape unless you wish it too.”

Truthfully, Jack only understood Nadun’s direct command, not the nuance behind it. It was hard enough to listen to the mage dissect magical theory, while also trying to keep a spell at the ready, but not release it, at the same time. Though, perhaps that was an intended effect of his yammering.

Only after the mage was satisfied with Jack’s control and after he fed him two more Mana Potions and a Stamina Potion, did Nadun finally get on to teaching Jack the spell he wanted to learn. The |Barrier| Spell, he said, was a deceptively easy piece of magic, but one that lay at the foundation of many defensive spell. It was a pane of magic, almost pure in nature. The only property magic took in its effect was of a kinetic nature. That effect stopped all physical attacks. The magic powering it stopped all magical attacks. However, Nadun did mention that it was quite a low-level Spell. Even overpowering it would not suffice to stop more advanced magic.

In his words, the mage taugh Jack to imagine a shape, thin and wide and fill it with his magic. Like stretching out a |Bolt| and having it hover just outside his hand. His control should now be good enough for that. Then, Jack had to harden that shape. Make it denser, more compact. Until it took on physical qualities. Until it could withstand a blow.

It took Jack many attempts. They had almost reached Helmrest, when it finally clicked. His mind saw the truth of his creation and the vague, amorphic piece of magic he had been focusing on solidified, forming a shimmering, translucent pane of magic.

|Spell Received: Barrier|

“Mage Nadun, look. I think I got it!”

The mage looked at the Spell, inspected it and finally prod it with a finger.

“Well done, Jack.” The man said, calling him by his name for the first time. “And now, for the final test. Keep your spell raised. |Fire Orb|.”

Nadun conjured an orb of fire in his hand and pressed it to Jack’s barrier. It strained and Jack strained with it. He couldn’t see them, but Jack could feel something like cracks developing through his spell. Just when he thought it would crack, the fire winked out.

“Your spell is of a sufficient quality. It should be able to stop normal unenchanted arrows and basic spells. I recommend you try and add element-based magic to it, in order to develop more useful variants of this spell.

Jack nodded hurriedly and thanked the man. He finally obtained another Spell. And now, to show his friends the harvest of his hard work.

“Guys!” Jack called out to their carriage. “Look what I got! |Barrier|!”

It didn’t take one second before Ava’s arrow penetrated his barrier, shattering it.

“That’s for calling me ‘guy’!” he heard her laughing.

Jack decided it was a better use of his time to brood quietly until they reached Helmrest, very much to Nadun’s amusement.

***

Their party had reached Helmrest before midday, true to Maleh’s prediction. The man knew the effects of his movement Skills better than anyone. The village seemed a little different, viewed from a distance. Only when they got closer did Jack noticed why it seemed so different.

Helmrest didn’t have a wall around it, when Jack and the others left. It still didn’t. But at every entrance to the village now stood either a wooden gate or a fence made out of sharpened wooden pillars. The base of this ‘fence’, thought it more closely resembled a palisade was made of pilled up rocks. And the houses that stood on the outside of the village had their windows protected by rectangular wooden panels.

Another unexpected improvement were the two watchtowers, one standing to the southern and one to the northern border of the village. These looked quite shoddy, but they did have a small platform on top. No protection, so not so useful for archers, but probably good for scouting.

It seemed to Jack that Elia had managed to whip the villagers in a building frenzy. And if that wasn’t impressive enough, the sight of her standing outside Helmrest, waiting for them was. Since she wasn’t alone.

Behind her stood twenty bought guards. Ela must have supplemented their number after becoming Village Head. One could tell they were not from Helmrest, since their armor seemed to be of all shapes, sizes and colors.

But the men and women standing behind them, were. They seemed to be around thirty in number, young and old, men and women. Their ‘armor’ was anything if. They were armed with everything from short-swords to axes to pitcforks. But one thing they all had in common. An image, painted or sowed into their shirts. A picture of a grey helm, resting atop a field of green. Helmrest.

“Commander Mahel. Mage Sergeant Nadun.” Elia said, stepping forward as they reached her. “I am Elia Viridi, Village Head of Helmrest. On behalf of our village, I welcome you.” She said, bowing her head solemnly.

Behind her, everyone bowed from the waist.

I’ve only been gone like a week…

It seems The Barony’s two leaders weren’t expecting this from a village, since the didn’t manage to compose a response right away. In that time, Elia caught Jack’s eye and shamelessly winked.

Of course. Jack almost laughed out loud. Same old Elia.

3