Chapter 56
95 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was an impressive sight. The soldiers from Amenor were just as well armored as the ones from The Barony. Jack tried to count how many riders they had in their frontline and failed. Luckily, his allies were better quipped for this sort of thing, so he heard Maleh quietly tell Nadun that they had around four hundred per line of soldiers. One line of cavalry, three of infantry and one of archers. Only pockets of mages.

Four hundred… all bedecked in armor. Seeing them almost made Jack think of a moving wall of metal. One advantage The Barony’s troops had was that their own cavalry, which comprised of almost all their soldiers, had a lot of range on their enemy. That was because their cavalry was equipped with bows as well as short swords. Amenor’s cavalry only had spears and rather short ones at that.

Still. They were still two twenty to one.

How are we supposed to act unimpressed with this difference in strength?

“Elia.” Jack said. “Shouldn’t you head back to the village? Just in case any fighting breaks out.”

The woman looked slightly terrified and Jack had a lot of respect for her for the ‘slightly’ part. Still, she steeled herself and answered, with only a faint tremor in her voce.”

“No. I also need to be here. And… I’m not leaving the men and women from Helmrest alone on the field. I’m not a military woman and they might have all volunteered, but… no. I’m staying.”

Maleh turned to her and inclined his head, before looking at them.

“You should get your own affairs in order. Decide who stays and who goes. Though, personally, I’d appreciate if you all stayed. Having some adventurers beside us might make us look stronger.”

“Oh, no doubt about that.” Ava chirped. “How could we let you have all the fun?”

Jack knew they all decided to stay on the frontline, after discussing their strategy, but looking at what lay before him, he felt worried. For them, if not for himself.

“Looks like an emissary is approaching.” Nadun observed. “Perhaps diplomacy truly does have a chance.”

“Wonders never cease.” Maleh responded.

Indeed, looking back at the enemy, they could see that the massive army had stopped around three hundred feet away from them. More than that, a group of five had detached themselves from the frontline, all on horseback and they were riding towards them. The main rider carried a banner, of the same gauntleted first crest.

They reached about halfway across the field when they stopped.

“It looks like they want to talk.” Maleh nodded. “They picked five. We have to be a group of five ourselves. Village Head Elia, myself and Mage Sergeant Nadun will go.  Jack, I believe your presence might help. We will need another. Which of the four should go with us?”

Well. This was an uncomfortable first. Jack never had to pick from his friends before.

“I’m guessing if I pick someone who isn’t human they’ll have a problem with that?”

“…I imagine it’s safe to think that way.” Maleh said, though from the looks of it he hadn’t considered it.

“Then that would be Moran. But he’s the only one without skill in combat.” He said, before wincing. “Sorry Moran.”

“No problem.” He grinned. “Ava’s always reminding me of this.”

“Only because I’m trying to get you to understand that you need a bodyguard!” the satyr protested.

“So Moran would be the safe option… if we can trust in diplomacy. If it goes to shit, then I’ll need either someone with defensive Skills – Brom or a ranged fighter – Ava.”

“Awww.” The ranged fighter in question needled him.

“Good analysis.” Maleh grinned. “But I can’t make the decision for you. You need to decide. And fast.”

Jack thought about it for a quick second. Normally, he’d have wanted better protection. Or at least some range, so they could put the hurt on them while retreating. Though Nadun offered a little of that. But. If it came to blows, the odds would already be looking down on them. To sacrifice a chance at diplomacy, even as browbeating as it would be, for extra defense… no.

“We’ll try it your way.” Jack said. “I’m taking Moran. Let’s see if we can somehow intimidate this giant army with our tony force.”

“That’s the spirit!” the commander laughed.

Horses were soon supplied for them and off they went. As they rode on, Jack started to feel a little self-conscious. Sure, he and Moran had armor on, but it wasn’t polished and it wasn’t shining like the ones soldiers they were about to meet.

Well, at least I don’t look like I’m about to be sick.

How Elia managed to keep herself in the saddle was a question for the ages, since she barely managed to keep herself for shivering and her face had taken on a sickly tinge of green. Only Maleh and Nadun looked somewhat used to this, Maleh even managing to display something akin to high spirits.

“Oh shit…” Moran suddenly said.

Breaking off from observing his surroundings, Jack turned to his friend and noticed that he was intently looking at Amenor’s emissaries. Jack turned to look himself. For a second or two he didn’t catch what had upset Moran, but when his eyes finally settled on the banner carrier he finally understood.

Of course. I mean, I kind of should have been expecting that.

“Maleh.” Jack said, speaking quickly, as they only had a few moments before reaching them. “Just so you know, we have history with the one carrying the banner.”

“What kind of history?”

“He’s the one that tried to force the other Village Head to win Helmrest’s elections.” Elia responded in his stead. “The one I told you about, that tried to get Helmrest annexed.”

“And, uh, me and Brom kind of kicked his ass.” Jack added.

“Wonderfull.” Maleh said, plastering a smile on his face.

They all did, to lesser or greater success, as they finally reached Amenor’s soldiers.

“Well met.” Merial said. “I am Merial Varhat, |Knight| of Ameron …as some of you may already know. I am here as the Commander of Amenor’s forces.”

“Well met. I am Elia Viridi, Village Head of Helmrest. I am joined by Maleh Raen, Commander of The Barony’s forces.”

Jack briefly wondered why Nadun wasn’t introduced as well. He guessed only leaders were offered the honor. Probably for the best not to introduce everyone. The knight already looked peeved and Jack could guess it was partly because of his presence.

“Yes. We have been told that The Barony has taken an interest in this village. Might I ask you?”

“You may not.” Maleh simply answered.

“Than- I beg your pardon?”

“The Barony’s affairs are its own.”

“Then I am to understand that The Barony has claimed Helmrest as its own?” Merial insisted.

“What care to understand, Knight Varhat, is no problem of mine.” The commander idly mentioned. “Whether Helmrest is or isn’t part of The Barony and whether it will or it will not become part of The Barony in the future is not something I care to share with Amenor.”

Maleh was laying it on pretty thick, Jack was surprised to learn. Still, they were giving out the image they wanted to be on display. Strength. Indifference. Like Amenor threatening them with battle was almost laughable.

Even Elia seemed emboldened by that.

“I can see that you have brought a considerable number of troops with you, Knight Varhat, though I will abstain from guessing their purpose. It seems only civil. That being said, Helmrest does not wish to become part of Amenor, as I believe we’ve mentioned before.”

“Nor does The Barony wish for Helmrest to be annexed by Amenor either.” Maleh added.

“Oh? And will The Barony interfere in the affairs of other powers?” the knight testily said.

“Of course not. That is why I used the word ‘wish’. We do not have the habit of enforcing our will in a martial manner. Unlike others.”

The knight looked like he was fuming. Jack could see that he carried a helmet, but he had made the error of not putting in on. Because of that, everyone could see how clenched his jaw was or the daggers he was glaring at Elia and Maleh.

“Perhaps we have started this on the wrong foot. These soldiers behind me? They are not here to force anyone.”

“I can believe that.” Maleh interrupted. “They don’t look particularly apt at forcing anything.”

Grinding his teeth, Merial went on.

“They are simply a show of strength. A display of our martial prowess. Our might and our pride. Something in which Helmrest can partake in, should it choose not accept our offer.”

“And what offer is that, Knight Varhat?” Elia asked.

“Not annexation, I assure you, Village Head. I know we had our differences in the past and that harsh words were said, but that is not what we came here to offer. No, what we offer is vassalage.”

“Oh?”

“Yes.” The knight enthusiastically nodded.

He seemed relieved Elia was not refusing him straight away. Or making fun of him, like Maleh had.

“Helmrest would keep part of its independence. It would still govern itself and though Amenor might conscript men and women for our army, it would be within limits. An accord could be reached, surely. And in exchange for that, Amenor would assure Helmrest’s growth. We would make sure trade will increase and we will offer our protection. Experts with Classes will be sent here in order to ensure Helmrest will not lack for professions. Teachers and |Teachers| too, so that the future generations will eclipse what came before. This is just part of what Amenor is prepared to offer. Will you not reconsider?”

“Hmm. Did you know, Knight Varhat, that when Amenor first made its offer, even though it offered much less, I actually have it quite a bit of thought. Helmrest is already quite large for a village. And its economy it growing at a fast pace. We were already attacked by bandits, monsters… more will come. That is a certainty. So to be annexed by a kingdom, one that would offer protection and accelerate the speed of our growth. It was not an offer refused lightly.”

The knight was nodding along, smiling. He shouldn’t have been. Oh, even Jack understood the alure of that offer. Especially to one such as Elia, who was responsible with both the present and the future of Helmrest. But there was more to it than that. And here came the other side of the coin.

“I refused then, because I truly believed in Helmrest’s independence. I still do. But you came with a much better offer this time, one that is still liable to be improved, if I understood your words correctly.”

“Yes! We can offer much more. I have ben empowered by our |Lord| to negotiate in his stead. Our offer can be more advantageous, if we receive the hospitality of a discussion.”

“Yes.” Elia smiled. “You are much better prepared, this time around. But you see, I have prepared too. I have sought information and not just from one source. I sought to learn how Amenor treated the villages and lands that came under its shield. And do you know what I’ve found?”

Her expression was now serious and a bit angry.

“I’ve learned that Amenor conscripts men and women at absurd limits. Only to increase their ever-growing army. The ones who are left behind have to toil ceaselessly on fields in order to feed said army. I’ve learned that entire farmstead had been dismantled in order to obtain wood and metal and not just once. I’ve learned that Amenor’s army is the only thing that matters to your |Lord|. And the villages through which that army passed through have much to be feared, even if they are Amenor’s own villages. Its granaries emptied, its houses occupied and its men and women… I’ve learned enough. Yours is a kingdom that desires and contemplates only war. Not growth. Not its people. You came at me with this honeyed offer. Can you guess what my answer is? Well… I am trying to be more civilized than the circumstances I have lived in, if only to better represent my village, so I cannot simply spit on the ground. But for all intents and purposes, Knight Varhat, you may assume I just did.”

Jack had wanted to applaud Elia on multiple moments, but never as much as now. From the awe in Moran’s eyes as he looked at her, he wanted the same thing. And from the way Maleh was looking at her, he wanted… different things. Still, it was only appreciative looks that she got.

Except for Merial and the men behind him. They were looking at her like they were trying to decide if Merial could pull rank on her murder or if they could all share.

“Commander Maleh.” Merial suddenly said. “I have received reports from Amenor. I know of your experience. You understand now what will come. Helmrest has refused diplomacy and will not find itself under attack.”

“Oh? So that army behind you isn’t just to ‘display your might’?”

“As such,” Merial continued as if had not just heard him “I need to inquire about The Barony’s intentions. Has The Barony laid claim to Helmrest?”

“I am afraid that is private information.” The commander smiled.

“Will The Barony attempt to protect Helmrest if we were to attack?”

“Why, of course. I did mention that The Barony dislikes other powers from enforcing their will on others, didn’t I? At least, I thought I did.”

“We outnumber you.” Merial slowly said.

“Please. Size isn’t everything. I’ll do you the honor of not responding to that insinuation.”

The men behind Merial were getting more and more agitated. They looked like they were itching to draw their swords and were barely containing themselves. The knight, however, looked calmer than he had at the beginning of this discussion.

“The Barony is known for the deals it makes. Amenor is prepared to make a deal.”

“A good trade only starts when both parties are assured the other can afford such an exchange. Amenor cannot. You have nothing to offer us.”

“We have a powerful army. The Barony has expanded as well, for the past years. We can quicken your expanse.”

“We expand by signing agreements, not by invading. Your methods are useless to us.”

“Perhaps. But a powerful army plays many roles. You are aware, I hope, of the difference between Amenor’s army and The Barony’s?”

Maleh actually laughed at that. Jack wasn’t sure he would have managed in his spot.

“Are you actually threatening us with war? Us? We are your only trading partner. And we both know you cannot afford to lose us. As to your army winning against ours and managing to conquer us… as I said. Size isn’t everything.”

“I would have preferred not to burn this bridge if I didn’t have to.  We know what it is you seek. The Helm, found in the dungeon.” Merial said, tone gone low.

For a split-second, Maleh said nothing, before grunting.

“How?” he dangerously said.

“The problem with a people of traders is that they make poor patriots. Traders always have a price.”

“…I see. Rest assured, Knight Varhat, that bridge will not be burned so much as interrogated and hanged.”

“Be that as it may.” Merial nodded. “We know. And we are prepared to offer it to you.”

That was a surprise. Enough of one that Maleh was rendered speechless a second time.

“You hear me right, Commander Maleh. The Kingdom of Amenor does not desire the artifact. The Barony may keep it, in exchange for letting us pass. We only desire Helmrest. Nothing else. And know this. You are wrong. For this, we will burn the only trading bridge we have. Even if it means war against our kingdoms, we will advance. That is my offer.”

“…why does Amenor desire Helmrest so fervently?” Maleh asked, by Nadun spoke a hew whispered words.

“A Truth Spell?” Merial asked, looking at Nadun. “No matter. I cannot say. My |Lord| ordered me not to speculate and he has not told me of the true purpose in any case.”

Maleh nodded, after confirming it with Nadun. He remained silent for a while. Jack almost wanted t ask him what was he thinking about? There could only be one answer. But he held his tongue. There was no rushing this. Maleh turned his head, looking at all of them in turn. When his gaze met Jacks, there was hesitation. Jack didn’t like the indecisiveness he saw. Not at all. But then Maleh returned to look at Merial. And with a great sigh he spoke.

“It seems that your king has a firm hand on his subjects. My own liege is not the same. He only ordered me to tell answer ‘No’ to any and all offers coming from you. But he also allowed me to make my own decisions. He didn’t know about Amenor allowing us to claim he helm. I’m sure of this. I now have to make this decision in his stead.”

“Could you not contact him?” Merial asked.

“Would you let me contact your king?”

“… I understand.”

“Then it is as I said. He did not know about this. And it falls to me to make a decision. I do believe that what you said… changes things. But you see, my liege is also out teacher. And he thought me a great lesson once. How to smell a bad trade a mile away. My answer is no.”

The shock was visible on Merial’s face. It was probably visible on all of their faces. Except Nadun, Jack though they were all guessing he would have taken the deal.

“You could walk away with your prize and avoid any bloodshed! And you still say ‘no’? Why?” Merial almost shouted.

“Because there is more to this. I can sense it. And I do not believe you will attack us. If you wish to prove me wrong, do it.” He gravely said. “But my answer is and will always be ‘no’.”

Don’t cheer. Don’t smile. Wait until we get back to the others.

For a second, Merial looked as if he was going to order an attack or just lunge at the commander. Instead, he slowly lowered his banner and spurned his horse further, stopping next to Maleh.

“It looks like there nothing more to be discussed. I had hoped I could have convinced you. …I hope you do not blame for trying.” He said, moving his banner from his right hand to his left and raising his arm to shake Maleh’s.

“There is nothing to be blamed. We each have our orders.” Maleh smiled, clasping his arm.

“Yes. We do. |Extended Range|.”

It happened in less than a moment, faster than thought. One second, they were shaking hands, the other, blood was spraying from Maleh’s neck.

How?

Jack raised his hands unconsciously, forming a |Barrier| Spell to protect himself and Moran, even as part of his mind tried to figure out how it happened. Nadun already had a shield up, protecting the three of them, and was roaring furiously at the treachery. Merial himself only spurned his horse back, taking him back behind his cover of knights. There was a grim smile on his face and blood on the tip of his banner.

The tip. Fuck.

His banner carried a flag, like all banners do, but its tip was spear-like. Sharp. Sharp enough that Merial’s Skill allowed it to pierce Maleh’s neck. Even so, the commander’s reflexes had saved his life. That banner extended the same way Brom’s axe did. It was aimed at the center if its throat. It should have killed him, but Maleh’s quick reflexed turned a killing stroke into just a very dangerous wound.

“Traitors!” Nadun thundered. “Worthless dogs, the lot of you. |Fireball|! A kingdom of filth! |Air Dart|!”

The man was enraged, holding his friend from falling off his horse with one hand and casting with the other one. But his hit nothing. Merial and the other four were already running back to their army.

“Nadun!” Jack called out. “We have to get Maleh back to our lines. We’re sitting ducks!”

“Can we get hi back?” Elia asked, white faced. “He’s bleeding like mad.”

“Let me.” Moran said, reaching Maleh. |Hemorrhage Stop|.”

The blood stopped gushing out, stopping to only a trickle, before even that was stopped by Moran feeding the man his Healing Potion. Maleh seemed to come to, if only a little. He tried to mumble something.

“What? Maleh, what’s wrong?”

“…sorry… …was wrong…” he managed to say, before fainting.

“He’s lost to much blood.” Moran said. “We need to get back.”

Jack turned to Nadun, who after seeing Maleh’s found closed had cursed and cast spells non-stop.

“Nadun- Nadun! Listen to me. Maleh’s alright for now. But if we stay here, both him and us are dead. We have to go back.”

The mage’s eyes were incensed, as in literally glowing, but after a second of grimacing, he nodded. They spurred their horses and rode back to the safety of their army. Which was, of course, when trouble hit them again.

He didn’t see it at first, since he was facing the wrong way. But Jack felt it. And heard it. Like a small earthquake or a distant storm. The ground itself shook and loud clamoring filled the air. Turning his head, Jack saw it. Now that Nadun had stopped venting is fury by magically bombarding their position, Amenor’s cavalry had formed a spear and were racing after them. All of their cavalry. All four hundred of them. And looking at how fast they were gaining ground, it was safe to guess that movement Skills were in play.

“They going to reach us before we reach safety!” Jack screamed against the wind.

“And even if we do get to safety, they’re going to crash into our lines!” Moran added. “Our archers can’t do much damage because we’re in the way.”

Both Elia and Nadun were hesitating.

“I know what you’re thinking.” Jack said. “But we don’t have any other way.”

“It is a waste to use it now. It hurts our chances.” Elia shouted back.

“Dying hurts our chances more!”

Reluctantly, Elia nodded. Jack knew they were trading a long-term play for a short-term miracle, but they didn’t have any other choice. If they died, Helmrest remained leaderless.

Elia raised her hand and, in the distance, Jack saw every archer nock an arrow and draw. She let it fall and a veritable rain of arrows flew over their heads, streaming through the air towards their enemy.

***

Before

“Enough for a volley or two.” Jack muttered.

“Yes. One volley if you want to… harass the enemy, I think the term is. Or block them. Two if you want to do real damage.” Lola answered.

“Uhm, but I thought the arrow spheres weren’t ready yet.” Ava uncertainly said.

“They’re not. I’ll work on those tonight. But those are made for accuracy. A volley doesn’t need to be that accurate. Just tying them to arrows with string will suffice, I think.”

Jack though about this, while Ava muttered ‘second-rate archers’.

“I think we should give them to Maleh’s archers. They’re the ones with Classes. I think. At the very least, they’ll be better at using them than the villagers.”

“…Are you sure, Jack?” Lola asked. “I mean… can we really trust them?”

They all shared a look. Maleh had been nothing but decent until now. Even so, they knew the temptation to turn on them would be high. And even if the man personally was honorable, he still had to listen to his ruler.

Jack hesitated, but finally nodded.

“If we can’t trust them, we’re all done for anyway. I’ll speak with Elia and Maleh. His soldiers are getting them.”

“And how should they use them?” Brom asked.

“Uh, shouldn’t Maleh decide that?” Jack asked. “I mean, he’s the military genius.”

“Perhaps.” The dwarf nodded. “But he is not versed in using them. We are.”

“Also true.” Jack admitted. “In that case… they’re too many of them for us to afford wasting them on blocking or maneuvering. We’ll have to use them to take out as many of them as we can. Profit from the element of surprise.”

He peered at them, inviting elaboration.

“We shoots at enemy. Cover with essence, like did with ogre.” Mrk opined. “Then fire and boom.”

“And boom, yes. Could work. It did before.” Jack thought about it.

“Uhm, but that would only take out the first wave. And the mushroom acid would only burn out in the process.” Moran said.

“Yes. But the acid would remain on the ground, forming a barrier.” Brom said.

“True, but… hear me out. What if we have his archers fill an entire area with the incendiary arrows. But then delay setting them on fire. If we time it right, we can make it look like our archers simply missed. Then, we let their army get near us, until the entire area of earth where the red mushroom essence seeped in is completely covered by their troops. Only then do we set it on fire!” Moran exclaimed. “This way, we make sure we get a lot more of them with one strike, instead of just the first line. After that, it’s just a problem of making sure they can’t flee or receive reinforcements and we can use the acid mushrooms to create barriers for that.”

They all looked at him in awe, stunned by the actual genius of his plan. Sure, perhaps an actual |General| or |Strategist| could have devised a better plan. Scratch that, they could have surely devised a better plan. But this coming from a |Paramedic|? Pure genius.

“Right. Well… I for one love that. Any objections?” Jack asked.

Shaking heads all around.

“In that case, I’ll bring it up to Maleh. Make sure knows he’s your idea too. Who knew you got that in you?” he laughed.

“He’s a man of many talents.” Ava grinned, making Moran squirm.

***

Jack saw the arrows hit their targets, a second after Amenor’s cavalry raised their shields. The arrows failed to take down more than a few horses, but the clay spheres had cracked open, releasing their contents on the soldiers. The irritating red powder was bad enough, but the green acidic ooze? That actually out a dampener in their step, as many soldiers and horses tarted flaying, making the ones behind them slow down. Which was a very good thing, since in five or so seconds those soldiers would have reached them.

Seeing how the Amenor’s cavalry was now clumped together, momentum making it hard for the riders in the back to make it in time, Nadun raised his own hand. Instantly, spheres of fire bloomed behind The Barony’s archers.

With a wolflike snarl, the Mage Sergeant brought his hand down. The fireballs flew above them. Small, but efficient. They hit the stationary riders the very next second.

Jack thought he had seen his biggest explosion ever when he watched the ogre go up in flames. That… that was nothing. Jack and the others had not stopped galloping towards safety even once. They had almost reached their own frontline. And even there the blast of air almost knocked him off his horse. The explosion made his head ring and took the air out of his lungs. The light from the fire gave him blind spots and ensured he saw nothing for a few seconds.

When his vision returned, he finally saw it. A wall of black smore was steadily raising in the sky. Beneath it. Jack saw blackened earth and an absolute gore of scene. He couldn’t tell whether the pieces on the ground were animal or human.

“That’s what you get when you don’t include mages lines with your army.” Nadun grimly said besides him, though he seemed shocked by the destruction as well.

The smoke eventually cleared and Jack saw the enemy army was still, not advancing or shouting. They were shocked. And they should be. Not one rider made it out alive from that blast.

Right. Four hundred down. Sixteen hundred, give or take, to go.

He had feared this event and dreaded it, but it happened regardless.

Finally, war had started.

5