Chapter 59
78 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a slaughter. A methodical, perfectly foreseeable slaughter, but a slaughter none the less. Jack’s mercenaries held the frontline, protected by the magic shields called into being by The Barony’s mages. Behind them were the archers, from both Helmrest and The Barony. Those to were protected by the mages. In short, they were almost impervious to damage. Oh, the occasional Skill aided arrow still found its target and punched through, but on the grand scale of things, they received almost no injuries.

What injuries they dealt, however, was another story entirely. The area before the two frontlines was riddled with acidic pools, some stealthily hidden by the dissolving corpses of Amenor’s soldiers. A deathtrap and one that very few soldiers managed to cross without fatally hurting themselves. Besides this advantage, Helmrest’s archers were confident unpressured by time. This aided they accuracy. The Barony’s archers simply had Skills. And that made all the difference.

And since Merial had not had enough bad-luck, Jack received a little gem of a Skill. |Kill Zone|. It seemed to be a highly situational Skill, unable to be used except when a ‘zone’ met a certain number of conditions that made it ‘killable’ enough. Or, perhaps, it simply worked better on traps than on simple battlefields. Nevertheless, when Jack used it, the effect was quite dramatic.

Arrows and the occasional spell fire found their way to their intended targets much more frequently. The few enemy infantry which managed to raise shields or use defensive Skills faltered. Inflicted wounds were greater than they should have been possible, a mere nick by an arrowhead casing a full gash to appear on a soldier’s leg. In short, Jack’s Skill turned an already favorable position into a senseless slaughter.

At the very least, it had been a quick one.

“They’re retreating.” Brom observed.

After stubbornly having his men attack and shouting at his remaining commanders, ordering them to use what few Skills they had, Merial had finally given the order to retreat. Slowly, Amenor’s troops fled back, out of range from bows and Spells.

“Aww. But I was just getting the hang of it.” Ava complained.

“Perhaps it is for the best. My mages were getting tired.” Nadun observed.

It started out as a cat and mouse game. Ava could and did target Amenor’s few mages and commanders, seeing as how they were valuable targets. Yet those same targets were shielded by magical shields. The solution to this conundrum came from Ava herself. She would use one of her special arrows and the mages around her would stop casting their magical shields just long enough to send Spells flying towards Ava’a arrows.

Sometimes it didn’t work, since after a few commanders and afferent mages were blasted or melted away, Merial tried to have her arrows blasted out of the Sky. Again, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t. Sometimes, Merial even ordered counter fire sent the Satyr’s way, for those few seconds were she and those around her were unprotected. Yet that was when Ava’s nimbleness came into play, allowing her to dodge. Or Mrk used his Skills to push her out of the way. Or Brom shielded her. The point is, she had lots of friends. And lots of fun. But it had to end sometime.

“Now what happens?” Elia asked, with baited breath.

“Now we wait.” Jack responded. “We could retreat if we had to, but this ground right here favors us a lot more than it favors them.”

“True… so true.” She said. “I though we were goners at least… three times today. That you managed to turn it around…”

“It was mostly luck, Elia.” Jack confided. “Luck, The Barony’s soldiers and their Skills and all of you.”

“Yet your planning was still fine.” Brom said. “As proves the quick levelling of your |Leader| Class.”

Oddly enough, it wasn’t the dwarf that managed not to get caught up in their ‘victory’. It was Mrk. Perhaps the ratling was more pragmatic, since he always kept an eye to the shadows.

“Jack. Me thinks knight taking too long. Why wait?”

“I’m guessing Merial’s trying to think of a way to push forward. I don’t seem him accepting this defeat just yet.”

“I understand he must be angry…” Elia started “, but surely he sees many soldiers he has already lost. He has just… what, a quarter of his original army remaining?”

They tried to make an assessment of the battle before Amenor retreated. From what they saw and what Nadun managed to scry, Merial’s forces not stood at only seven hundred soldiers. Though around three hundred of those were archers.

Jack’ forces had declined as well. Sixty-four individuals, outside his friends, remained. Sixty-four, out of a hundred. Each of them had proven to be worth twenty times their number, but each of their deaths still meant a huge blow to their group.

“A little more than that, but yes. Seven hundred. If we keep going, we can whittle them down, especially with this position. But-“

“Jack.” Nadun suddenly exclaimed. “A scrying spell has just locked on to us. It’s powerful. I can’t dismiss it.”

A tremor passed through their entire group.

“Can you find who it is?”

“A moment.” The mage said, straining. “No… you damned little… must I use a Skill as well? …so be it. |Discern Magic|.”

Nadun’s eyes widened, as he quickly looked out.

Jack tried to match his gaze and was rewarded with the image of a sullen Merial, riding his horse towards them.

“The scrying Spell came from the Kingdom of Amenor. From their capital. I think… the King of Amenor sent direct instructions.” Nadun quietly said.

“Yeah. I can believe that.”

Merial stopped and dismounted, at the very edge of the deathtrap. Two of his commanders and one mage were gesticulating hurriedly around him, but the knight simply ignored them. He took out two scrolls from his saddle and activated one, a shimmering violet light appearing all around him.”

“Armor Spell.” Nadun whispered. “Powerful.”

Jack nodded and watched as Merial stepped forward. All eyes locked on to him. As well as a number of arrows and Spells, even without Jack giving an order. Though Jack himself didn’t begrudge the soldiers. Maleh’s injury was still fresh to their minds.

Yet the knight tried nothing. He simply walked forward, looking at Jack and the others like a prisoner to the executioner. He looked… angry. That was true. But also defeated. Sullen. When he arrived in front of them, be bowed and spoke.

“My king wished to speak with you.”

And without waiting another second, he opened the second scroll and activated it.

It burst into flames in his hand, though the fire did not appear to harm him. What remained in its place was a group of lights, gradually coalescing into shapes and colors, not unlike the Spell that was used to communicate with The Baron.

After the Spell finalized, Merial was left holding the virtual torso of his king. The man itself looked perfectly at ease. He was in his mid-forties, Jack though. A carefully cropped beard adorned his face and his features were not as much regal, as they were… warlike. Piercing black eyes stared at them and a small sardonic smile seemed to ever be present on his face. Even his crown reflected something of the man’s personality. For it was not gold, but steel. And its broad spikes had been sharpened into edges.

Everything’s a weapon.

“Hello to you all. I understand my knight has informed you all whom it is you are addressing.”

Jack almost laughed at that. He was surprised Ava didn’t. ‘Informed’ them. As if they wouldn’t have been able to piece it together.

“He has also informed me who it is I should be addressing. Village Head Elia.” He said, giving her a faint smile. “I hope it gives you no insult if I will be addressing the one called Jack?”

Elia flinched as if she had just been slapped. Jack… didn’t know how to feel about that. He would have dearly wanted for Elia to take the reins on this one. Then again, he did have more of a problem with authority then she did. If the man tried to be convincing… Jack felt he had a better chance of being mule-headed than she did. Still…

“No offense will be taken.” She said, stumbling on using the proper title and skipping over it entirely. “Yet any decision involving Helmrest is mine to ratify.” She managed to add.

“Of course.” He said, smiling a mile that fooled absolutely no one. “Jack. My congratulations for appearing to be winning this battle. You had several advantages, a powerful group of allies and The Barony’s forces behind you, yet for such a young leader this is impressive nonetheless. Bravo!”

“Uhm… thank you?”

“Quite. Now. I believe you do understand that Amenor’s next army would be five times the size of this one? With a core of |Soldiers|, not just soldiers.”

“W- What?”

“Come now, lad. Amenor does not suffer defeat. When we want something, we take it. Always had, always will.”

“Almost always.” Brum angrily muttered.

It should have been impossible for the King of Amenor to hear him, yet the man’s eyes zeroed in on Brom immediately.

“Yes, master dwarf. Almost always. Your kin remain the sole exception. The last enemy. Yet you too shall be removed from history.”

He was smiling now, though it wasn’t a happy smile. It was predatory, a smile promising blood and hatred. The mad light shing from his eyes spoke of the same.

Is this a Skill? …and we’re not even talking to the real thing.

“Other have tried, lord.” Brom said. “Those who came before you surely did. They lost, speaking of the same future you now speak of. When, I ask you, do you think this future will come to pass?”

“Sooner than you think.” He said, all malice and fire, before calming himself and looking back at Jack. “But then again, that is in the future. This is in the here and now. Understand this, Jack. Merial will not retreat. He will fight until he and his men are all dead. And once they all fall down, a second army will come, one led by real commanders, with real numbers and with orders to burn everything down!”

Merial winced, but at the volume his king was speaking at and at not being considered a real commander.

“Now.” The man said. “Tell me, are you going to risk it all?”

When you put it like that… it did look like a losing battle. But then again, Jack knew bluffing. And though he didn’t have a truth-telling Class or Skills, he smelled a bluff. Everyone knew or could at least deduce that Amenor was preparing or another war wit the dwarfs. They couldn’t afford to lose more soldiers. And their sole trading partner has just been made into their enemy. An enemy which would probably jump at the opportunity of inflicting damage on the kingdom.

There was little chance of Amenor sending a second army. There was a high chance of The Barony sending larger force to counter them if they did. So, when you really though about it all, Amenor’s king was full of shit.

Not that it would do to tell him that.

“Respectfully, your highness, I will. Perhaps you will send a second army and a better one at that. But I think not. And if you will, I believe The Barony might just take offense at your expansionist tendencies.”

Behind him, Nadun nodded.

The king looked at him for a second, before losing all traces of warmth on his face.

“Very well. Here are the facts. I must have Helmrest. Not want or desire. Must. To achieve this, I will risk nearly all. Though you are right in thinking that it is not an option that amuses me. You have bargained well enough. Here is my final offer. I am willing to have Helmrest relocated.”

“I… do not understand.”

“I will move your entire village.” The king slowly said. “I will send |Builders| and |Masons|. I will rebuild your village wherever it is you desire. I will make it larger, if that is your wish. Stronger. I will build a real wall around Helmrest. This and everything else that has been promised I will deliver. You will even retain your independence. All I ask is that you and your Village Head relinquish all claims you have on these lands.”

Let no one say that the King of Amenor didn’t drive a hard bargain. Jack had to look around himself, to see if what he had heard was correct. Going by how shocked the others were too, Jack thought he understood the king correctly, Helmrest would retain its independence. Plus, it would grow in size and defenses. And it would probably receive coin and individuals with Classes too. All they had to do was move?

Why do we have to move?

Jack wasn’t stupid. He understood that the real prize here was the land itself, not the village or the villagers, though he had no idea why. His friends didn’t look like they were going to be of much help. Elia looked… torn. He could understand that. And Nadun just looked… concentrated? The man had his eyes closed and was soundlessly murmuring.

“I understand it is a difficult decision, but you must be the one to make it. Will you and Village Head Elia relinquish all claims you have over-“

“Jack!” Nadu burst out, interrupting the king. “My liege desires a word. A moment, please!”

“This is between me and the boy, mage!” the king grunted. “That trader has no business-“

“This trader has business everywhere there’s business to be had.” Joviel said, the spell connecting them to him blazing into being above Nadun’s opened palm. “Though I go by The Baron these days.”

“Baron. I disliked going against you, but this is-“

The Baron.” Joviel commented, smiling.

Amenor’s king looked like he was greatly restraining himself from lashing out.

“The Baron. Out forces have skirmished, yet-“

“Regardless,” Joviel interrupted him, turning to Jack. “I have been listening in on this conversation. I do not know of his real reasons for wanting this land, Jack, yet I have… certain Skills which allow me to sense the inner motives of someone. And I sense that a greater game if afoot.”

That seemed to be it for the King of Amenor.

“Amenor’s desires are its own!” he bellowed. “This is no concern of The Barony’s. Step down, Baron!”

“I will not.” The man coolly said.

“You still have a daughter. And your barony is ripe for infiltrators.”

The Baron’s eyes flashed dangerously when he understood the implications behind the king’s words, but he never got the chance to reply. A voice suddenly cut them both off.

“I tire of this.”

A sudden pressure hit them all. It wasn’t physical, but it was palpable. Everyone seemed to bend an inch or two, though the mages seemed to be the most affected. Their spells winked out of existence and no amount of trying seemed to be able of bringing them back. The spells allowing communication with both The Baron and Amenor’s king winked out as well.

“Jack.” Nadun said, greatly troubled. “Something happened. I cannot cast any spell at all. I can feel my mana, but I cannot channel it. But I can still sense it. Besides the ones from Amenor and The Barony, a new scrying Spell locked on to us.”

“From who?” Jack asked.

“I don’t-“

He collapsed, not managing to complete his response.

“Nadun!” a chorus of voices sounded at once.

The checked on him and learned that he was fine. Or breathing, at the very least. He had simply fainted. As for the why…

“My regrets. It seems that your young mage friend tried to gaze too deeply upon my magic.”

That’s the same voice.

Jack turned and saw a figure standing in front and to the side of Merial. Judging by how shocked the knight was, Merial had no idea who this… man was either.

It was a man, Jack far fairly certain. Though the lithe, tall figure told nothing conclusive. He’s voice was melodious, like words strung from a harp. His skin was without any blemish, uniform in its color, which itself was… normal. Light skin. Far hair. Long fair hair, swept back and reaching this man’s lower back, though part of it was braided in intricate patterns. He had no beard or any sign that he could grow one. His eyes, however, were the most remarking things about him. Deep, deep blue. Deep enough that Jack felt dizzy staring into them.

Well, that was what Jack considered the most remarkable feature. The others were trying not to stare at the man’s long pointy ears.

Jack noted his expensive looking robes, the poise with which he held himself. That faint smile set into his face. And yes, his ears. All that and nothing came to mind. To be fair, his mind did play hard to get quite a lot, but usually it gave Jack at least a hint of the species or race he was looking at. This time, nothing.

“I am an elf, child.”

“O- Oh.”

“No, I did not read your mind. I have simply seen that particular expression you are wearing a thousand times a thousand. It seems that the young races of the world have already forgotten our presence. Or, perhaps, only the unread among these races. No matter.”

Jack was about to take offense at the unread part… actually he was about to understand what the elf meant when the elf in question spoke again.

“Your negotiation with the King of Amenor was going poorly, I noticed. Perhaps because of that unruly child’s appearance. He who styles himself as ‘The Baron’. I am here to continue these talks. I see that you are still unsettled. I will offer you this, as a sign of good will.” He said, before pointing at Nadun. “|Wake|”.

The mage’s eyes shot open and he got to his feet almost as fast.

“Jack! That- that’s an elf!”

“Yeah, he told me. Are you alright?” You just fainted.”

“But… Jack, that’s an elf!” the mage repeated.

“Yeaaaah…” Jack said slowly. “I got that. Are you alright? Was the scrying spell you found from him?”

Nadun looked at Jack, bewildered. Brom managed to intervene, though it still sounded like he had troubles speaking himself.

“He does not know what they are.” Brom told the mage.

“You… I see. Jack, time allowing, we need to talk. And yes, the magic I felt came from him. I fainted because of the magical overload, it wasn’t an aggressive act, I don’t think. And…” Nadun stopped, before murmuring and opening his eyes even wider. “…there are two more scrying spells locked on to us. One I cannot place, but the other comes from… the dwarfhold.” He finished, looking at Brom.

Jack looked at Brom too, though the dwarf simply shrugged his shoulders.

He doesn’t know either. Just what is happening?

“Are you all quite finished?” the elf asked. “Good. Now, as I said, I am here to continue the discussion. Amenor desires these lands. Given my people’s involvement, I believe it not hard to deduce that they want it because we want it. I could see from your expressions that the prior offer was enticing. Allow me to add to it. Wherever this new Helmrest will be placed, I will add wards and enchantments to its location. Powerful enough to last for generations. Perhaps more. Powerful enough that bandits will not dare attack you and monsters will not be able to sense you. This offer is negotiable. All I ask is complete control. You two children will relinquish control via magical oath. I will sign any magical contract you desire. Shall it be so?”

It took Jack a long second to understand that the term ‘children’ applied to both himself and Elia. A second in which the woman managed to find her voice.

“I… I am Village Head of Helmrest. Please forgive me, honored elf, may I know you name?”

“My name is not for the ears of children.” The man said, voice still soft as cotton.

“Oh… I see. Uhm, please forgive me, but we do not know if we could trust you. Your offer is very generous, yet this is a very high ask. We… we have a Blood Contract. Would you be amenable to signing it?”

For a second Jack felt the air leaving him. He felt himself suffocating, dying. Just for a second, but he saw everyone be affected by… whatever it was. Even Merial. All the while, the elf’s smile never wavered.

“In times past, any of my kind would have erased your entire lineage for speaking such words.” He mused. “Yet, these are not those times. And perhaps you know of what you speak of. I sense no magic in you and you do not seem particularly knowledgeable. Yes, child. I will sign your Crimson Contract. As long as you both swear. Shall it be done?”

Elia looked like she was still not breathing, so Jack thought it fell to him to answer.

“Uhm, please forgive me if I come across as rude, I… do not know many things.”

“Nor do many from your race, child. Yet I sense honesty in your words. Speak. Should I be angered, I will restrain myself.”

“Right. I just want to ask, why do you want us to swear? I mean, I get why you want Elia to do it. She’s the Village Head. But why me?”

“You both have claims on these lands.” The elf smiled. “I do not feel I owe more of that as an explanation. You understand, surely?”

The elf looked so congenial. So friendly and relaxed. Then why did that last question freeze Jack’s blood?

There something wrong here. Think, Jack.

For all intents and purposes, this deal started to sound pretty good. A new village, bult from the ground up. Better foundations, better buildings. A defensive wall, villagers with Classes, coin. And village-wide wards and enchantments. All that while getting to keep their independence. So… why?

Jack thought as fast as he could, in between heartbeats, while the elf watched him. Why him as well? His single claim was… well, it was to the forest. Given to him by Melena. But that wasn’t legal. Mr. Winnow argued that enough.

Yet… here stood a being of magic. Would it care for the laws of men? Or the old laws that nymphs themselves lived by? But even if this was the case, why go to all this trouble for a forest? The mushrooms bombs were useful, sure, but they only mimicked artifacts, not replaced them. And they still required magic. No… that didn’t sound right.

Only one way to find out the truth.

“Please forgive me, but… you want the forest, correct? The Refuge. May I ask why?”

The elf gave out a small laugh. The first gesture it had done, other than smile.

“Was it that obvious, child? Perhaps not. Yet, I will tell you this. My people desire the forest. And we suffer no settlement near it. Should you have accepted Amenor’s first offer, your village would have been slowly eroded. My congratulations, on evading that. Now, you have a better offer. I urge you to take it.”

The elf’s voice had never increased in volume, yet it gained a certain intensity of its own. And he was no longer smiling. Dread started to trickle into their very beings.

“Know this. You being offered the ownership of that forest is the sole reason any of you yet live. Yet if you do not accept, I will not just erase you from history. I will take you into the sky, child, removed from harm’s way. Only then will I methodically burn each and every one of those around you. Those inside the village as well.”

He still wasn’t shouting. Just talking, at a normal volume. But Jack was trembling. They were all trembling. There was no wrath in the elf’s eyes. Just indifference. A calm, collected assuredness.

“We wanted to make our reentry into the world as subtle as possible. We wanted the races of the world to know we have returned and sought bargain, not war. Yet we will not be refused. You will accept our most generous offer or you will-“

Without any sign of what was to happen, the image of the elf disappeared from view. Jack hadn’t known he had been talking to an illusion. So perfect the Spell had been. He felt like throwing up and like laughing at the same time. And that was just Jack. He had no idea who he had just conversed with.

The other did, to a smaller or larger degree.

“The elfs are back.” Brom said, his voice breaking. “The elfs are back.”

“My liege… he must know of this. Perhaps he does. My liege, what should I do?” Nadun asked the sky.

Jack turned to his friends and saw they were all in various stages of shock.

“Guys… my memory’s killing me again. What… what just happened?”

Out of all of them, it was Mrk who answered.

“Jack talks to elf. Elfs… warrens thought elfs gone. Everyone did. Elfs powerful. Elfs… single elf destroy entire warren.” The ratling managed to say, shivering.

Fuck.

“Right. Aright, we-“

“Amusing, in a way.” The elf said.

Jack’s blood froze and he turned around on the spot. Yet no elf was there, illusion or not. His voice, however, sounded from everywhere at once.

“It seems your once defenders are still doing their all to protect you, child. Have you known, I wonder? That must receive it from you, not just take it. Were you trying to… ‘buy time’, as they say? Regardless. It looks like your green guardians decided to act before I could… compel you. Though I must ask, my once beloved, did you think that to protect them from my magic is to protect them completely?”

He laughed and the sound of his laughter would have brought tears of joy to Jack’s eyes, if he hadn’t been scared wordless by it.

“Your worthless excuse for magic protects these children.” The voice said. “But you forget. They are children here who have already sworn themselves to us.”

All this it said in melodious words, almost like singing. What came next, the elf ordered.

“Soldiers of Amenor. You follow the commands of your King as he follows mine. You are mine, as he is too. Receive my blessings and use it to curse our enemies. |Spellsteel Armor|. |The Flames of Many|. |Mass Spell: Greater Endurance|. |Mass Spell: Fury|. |Windcutter’s Blades|. Go forth, soldiers of Amenor. Slay all those who defy you. Yet leave that one alive. |Geas: Do No Harm|.”

As the voice talked, Jack saw effects taking place. Magical effects, for surely those couldn’t have been Skills. Yet… to think such spells could be applied to so many. Jack saw gleaming armor appear on every soldier in sight, made from metal that shifted under the light. He saw Amenor’s soldiers’ blades and arrowheads light on fire. He saw those same soldiers look at them with barely restrained rage.

And not a second after the elf stopped talking, he saw them charge.

4