Chapter 61
65 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking back, the events that transpired had been quite informative. They had been sad or tense. That much was true. Yet, one could learn from them. One did learn from them, even if not consciously. A lot of people talk of warrior instincts or a battlefield temper. How when an experienced soldier suddenly meets with danger, that soldier won’t flinch. Won’t scare. No, that soldier would barrel down to the danger and grab it by its neck.

Yes, that is a valuable set of instincts. But that isn’t what Jack had learned, or at least, not the only thing. Jack had been exposed to different kind of experiences. Running through a dark forest with an army of spriggans chasing after him. Holding a tight line against a wave of monsters. Using tactics to evade and stay alive in front of far stronger opponents.

That was what he did here. He thought he and his friends and allies were in trouble the last time the elf enchanted Amenor’s troops. He had no idea. They came at them like animals, frothing at the mouth, screaming sounds that could have been words, if not for the rage behind the voices. The only good things Jack saw in those very first seconds was that for some reason the previous set of Spells or enchantments the elf granted them had been replaced with this one, not kept while the other was added. Gone was their armor and the flame from their swords. Of course, that also meant that the Geas was gone.

They struck them live a tide of flesh. Jack felt odd, seeing the kick and the punched aimed at him, striking, but feeling them as if he was in a dream. He even saw one soldier try to bite his hand, to no avail. For the others though…

He kept his friends close this time. It was all that he could do. Both Mrk and himself could barely walk, yet they were forced to run. Ava and Brom were covering their retreat, as best as they could. Ava was killing a soldier perhaps every few seconds, having found a fresh set of arrows. Brom’s axe was glinting with blood. And still they kept coming. Fearless. Mad with rage.

For every one of Amenor’s soldiers that went down, three more took its place, gnashing and snarling. And when they could someone… the elf’s Spells had made them monstruous, though not only in appearance. Jack personally saw a soldier’s limbs being torn off three times already.

Their entire column was in rapid retreat. As orderly as they could. Nadun must have used some Skills and Elia sheer gravitas, for their small army hadn’t entirely lost cohesion, yet in their mad struggle to get away almost all order had been lost.

“|Basic Charge|” Jack gasped, struggling to run.

He could feel his Skill take shape, but not fully form. The soldiers were too panicked and disorganized for his Skill to truly work.

“We’re not going to make it back to the village.” Nadun said, from a few steps ahead. “Elia, take Jack and the others. Take the villagers. Try to break through. I’ll stay here with my mages and try and hold off the thick of them.”

“You’ll die.” Jack said, before Elia could respond. “Out of the question.”

“It’s either that or we all die.” Nadun said, lobbing a fireball. “Or do you have a better idea?”

He didn’t.

“I though not.” The made said, before his eyes softened. “It was a good fight, Jack. We almost made it and the odds were stacked against us from the start. Stupidly so. It was an-“

“Wait.” Jack groaned. “One last push. Sacrifice yourself later, but give me one more push now!”

Nadun looked at him strangely and a rueful smile appeared on his face.

“Since its all coming to an end… I don’t see why not.”

Jack nodded and rallied every ounce of strength he had left.

My Skill needs words. So… here goes nothing.

“Everyone!” he shouted and winced from the pai that caused him. “We’re retreating, but we’re barely staying alive as we are. We can’t keep fighting on our rear if we want to push through to them. Their soldiers at the front of their column, that’s where their army is the thinnest. So, I say this. We’ll take casualties. We’ll get hurt. But we didn’t come this far, only to get eaten by these fuckin beasts because we wanted to play it safe. Now, I’m going to the front and I’ll use my everything to push through! Who’s with me?!”

An angry roar went up and Jack felt his |Rousing Speech| Skill kick in.

“|Basic Charge|!” he yelled and everyone seemed to wake up a notch.

Now they were advancing through the enemy army, not just retreating. But it wasn’t just Jack that had moved to the front. Everyone seemed to have decided that if they were going to die, they’d do it cutting their way through to Helmrest, not defending against their chasers.

“All mages, attention. |Mana Link|.” Nadun basically screamed, hands outstretched. “Great Arrow of Fire”.

Something like a lance flew out, composed solely of flames. It hit a group of soldiers and the detonation mirrored the past conflagration caused by the mix if mushroom and spells. A breach had been formed by Nadun and into it screaming they went.

“|Piercing Shot|!”

“|Quick Swing|!”

“|A Fire a Day|!”

Nothing happened on that last one.

Shit, already used it today.

“Fuck it, |Bolt|! |Ensnaring Vines|! |Bolt|!”

Spells flying from one hand and his rapier in the other, Jack felt dizzier and dizzier. The adrenaline was keeping him awake. It was do or die. They fought, like animals, like beasts. Like the very berserkers trying to kill them. The Barony’s archers alternated swords with bows, clearing lines of enemies before unleashing Skilled aided volleys at point blank range.

Nadun’s mages were incinerating, blasting, freezing and cutting everything in sight. And his friends… it was scary how much in sync he found they were, when they were killing their way through an army. It should have felt wrong. But it didn’t.

Brom’s shield launched a soldier into the air, where Ava shot it full of arrows. Its body crashed into its fellow soldiers and Mrk jumped on their fallen bodied, long-knives quickly ending them via throat stabs. And through it all, Jack’s spells either caught whoever tried to get in their way or his rapier did.

They were pushing through. They actually started to see Helmrest, catching glimpsed of it through the ranks of soldiers. But slowly, their momentum slowed down. And stopped. They found themselves encircled again, forced to fight on the defensive once more. They were closer to Helmrest, true. So much closer. Yet they were also more tired. They had gotten they second wind and they had used it. Nothing more was left in the barrel.

“Jack.” Nadun tiredly said. “It was a good thought. And it us closer to the village. But now we must part ways.”

“No…”

“There is no better way.” The man smiled and turned. “It has been an honor.”

Jack wanted to tell him that there must be a way. But he was so tired… his mind so foggy… they should… they should stand together. Form a circle. Have The Barony’s soldiers form a front line of swords with back lines of archers. Use mages to cover them with shield spells, if they could, suppressive Spell fire if not. Only then have this entire formation slowly move towards Helmrest. It would cost them, perhaps only half would make it alive, but it was less risky.

Of course. Why hadn’t he thought of that before? Because he was tired.

So… why aren’t I tired?

Jack looked around himself and saw that everyone was fighting with a little more vigor. But why… He didn’t have time to think to much about it, because the answer came crashing forwards. Literally. Jack distantly saw a horse and rider coming from Helmrest crash into Amenor’s soldiers.

It made it in about two or three rows, before the horse was savagely taken down. And yet, whoever it was that had run towards them was still coming. Jack heard the individual roaring, just seconds later.

“|Longstricking Blow|”

Four Amenor soldiers went flying at once and finally the mysterious rider approached them. Well, it’s actually riders, since there was two of them.

“Hi everyone. Sorry, for the delay, I had to wait for this one to wake up.” Moran said.

The young man grinned tiredly at them and motioned to the man he was helping stand up, one arm around his neck. Maleh simply smiled tiredly. But there was a determined light in his eyes.

“How…”

“Are you mad?” Ava yelled. “You’re a |Healer|? What are you doing here!?”

“I’m a |Paramedic|, Ava and-“

“Which is still a |Healer|! You’re not supposed to place yourself in harm’s way!”

“Ava!” Moran said. “I think I finally found out what my Class is. I’m… a field healer. I’m supposed to be in the thick of things. Besides, this way I can be close to you.”

Ava spluttered, before rallying.

“And this is supposed to make me feel better?”

Moran would have answered, if Ava hadn’t almost tacked the man, kissing him furiously!

A long second later, she gave him some air to breathe. Moran himself, though red in the face and looking as though he’d have much rather continued the kiss, did his best to explain his general situation.

“I would have come sooner. But I knew our only chance is Maleh, so I watched over him. But, I healed everyone you’ve sent my way. And I leveled. A lot! I… I didn’t think one could level so fast. I’m a Level 14 |Paramedic| now.”

That… was fast. Yet the day had been odd enough that few things were as surprising as before.

“And when I did,” he continued. “Maleh woke up. He tried to get to you, but fainted once he took a few steps away from me. Turns out its because of my new Skill. |Field of Health|. It doesn’t do exactly what the name says it does. But for a few feet around me, people heal faster. And they are healthier than they would otherwise be.”

“So… that means…” Elia said. “Moran is the only thing keeping you alive?”

“No.” the man laughed. “But he is the one who’s keeping me awake. Now, enough talking. Too many of our own have died.”

Jack startled and looked around himself, after seeing the hard glint in Maleh’s eye. As they were talking, the soldiers around them fought on, keeping the berserkers at bay. It was easy to forget just how close they were to combat, after fighting for so many hours. It had almost become second nature.

“There’s not many of them left. Not many of us either. But if we want to take them out, we’ll have to play to our strengths. And that’s not by fighting wit swords.” He grunted, before raising his voice.

“Listen up! We will get out of this melee as one. We will run towards the village and stop once we are a decent distance away from them. I will help you. You will then receive further orders. Ready!”

Jack almost panicked. He already intuited Maleh was a man of action, once arose to anger, but the man was moving fast.

“|Formation: Arrowhead|. |On The March|. Jack, use your Skill.”

“Oh, right. |Basic Charge|.”

So that’s how a high-level |Leader| Skill feels like.

Without any conscious thought, all of them arranged themselves into a triangular formation. The strongest among them found themselves at the tip, again, without thinking it. They speed had been increased. Their courage had been restored. Nothing managed to stand in their way.

They broke through and saw Helmrest for the first time in what felt like days. Jack could hear Elia crying and cursing at the same time, not three steps behind him. Looking at them from afar, one might not have given two coins about them. Their rag-tag group of allies. Their leader had to be supported by a boy as he ran forwards. The tip of their spear having dwarfs and ratlings among their numbers. With a group of mages running after the, barely managing to cast even low-level spells.

But they did it. They broke through. After an entire day of fighting, they had managed to overcome an army twenty times their size, lead by a hate-filled knight and backed up by a magical genius of an elf. And they did it.

Their group made it about half-way towards Helmrest when they turned. Jack could hear heavy breathing everywhere around him, but his allies still kept the formation. Surprisingly, Jack saw that their enemies had mostly stopped their pursuits. A few of Amenor’s soldiers still ran after them, but most warily stayed back.

Are the Spells wearing off? Or are they finally tired?

Leaderless, bloody. Small wonder Amenor’s remaining army didn’t want to fight a group who had just gotten their leader back. Out of the two thousand, Jack though he saw only a couple hundred left. No swords or bows in their hands.

That being said, looking around he also saw that their own numbers had been reduced to about fifty, including Jack and his friends. Perhaps a third of those being the villagers. From one against twenty to one against four. Goods odds.

If nothing new happens…

“Jack.” A voice said, pulling him out of his thoughts.

It was Moran. His right hand was supporting Maleh, while his left was holding tightly to Ava’s. Still, he beckoned him closer, motioning to his satchel.

“I brought this.” He whispered. “Didn’t know if I should have used it or given it to Mahel. We… thought it wouldn’t have been such a good idea. Not with that elf.”

“And we shouldn’t be talking about it even now. Not explicitly. The elf may still be listening.” Maleh said, voice lowered.

Jack nodded and called for Brom. When he arrived, Mrk in tow, he shown him the satchel.

“You what what’s in there. If they’re any more surprises, could you use it? I mean… could the elf corrupt it somehow? Or take it?”

“He would have taken it by now if he so desired. No. I believe the elf doesn’t expend more force than is necessary. If we do not use it, he will not up the level of his Spells.”

“But… why?” Jack asked. “Isn’t he trying to win?”

“He is. But perhaps his ability to cast magic is limited. He… is not here. To cast such Spells from a distance, even for an elf… I do not believe he wished to expend more magic than is necessary.”

Maleh listened to that and nodded.

“Then, if we beat Amenor’s troops completely, he won’t go around summoning giant scorpions or what have you.”

“I do not think so. Though it must be said, my kin’s knowledge of elfs is limited… as is everyone’s I imagine.”

“I know next to nothing.” Elia said. “Save that there are the greatest of magic users.”

“And apparent assholes.” Jack muttered.

Everyone looked at him in varying degrees of shock, save Maleh, who just laughed.

“Well said. It is time we end this.” He said, before once again raising his voice. “Everyone, prepare for a final attack. Everyone who has bows, equip them. Archers of Helmrest, if you do not have Skills, lend your bows to The Barony’s archers.”

They did so, without even asking Elia for permission. Not that the half-fainted woman looked to be in any state of leadership at the moment.

“Nadun, we are to execute a combined attack. Prepare your mages. |Piercing Volley|. |Improved Aim|. |Seeking Arrows|.”

Ava let go of Moran, drawing her own arrow.

“I feel like my bow is vibrating.” She grinned.

“|Guided Shots|.” Nadun said. “|Mana Link|. |Mass Spell: Exploding Arrowheads|.”

The enemy soldiers must have felt something was happening, even in their enraged state. They milled around, unsure whether they should attack or retreat, before one of them let out an anguished cry and charged forwards. In seconds, almost every one of them charged after.

“Ready!”

They were coming as one mass, broken and angry.

“Draw!”

Jack felt hollow. He should have felt sorry for the poor fools, taken advantage of by their petty king. But he just felt nothing.

“|Pinpoint Spell: Lightning Lance|”

A flash of lightning went off at the same time as the volley flew. It hit the enemy soldiers and downed about half of them. Which was… odd. It should have downed the lot of them. He had heard Amenor’s soldiers used spells that had duplicated their arrows. Even multiplied. And a lot of arrows went off.

And who used that Spell?

It didn’t see to have hit any of the charging soldiers. He turned to Maleh to ask what happened when he froze. Maleh was lying on the ground, his left arm scorched. Around him was a circle of blackened grass and scorched earth. A few others have been downed as well, but they were getting up. All except…

“MORAN!” Ava cried, diving to his side.

Jack’s friend looked… he didn’t have words. Most of his clothes had been burned off. But there was little nudity to speak of, since his exposed skin had been blackened. Cracked. His hair was gone and Jack saw he was spasming. No, not spasming. Struggling to breathe.

“No!” Jack screamed. “Elia, get Healing Potions.”

“Wh- But there aren’t-“

“Anyone! Healing Potions!”

Ava took up the cry as well, but no one answered. It was too late in the battle for anyone to have Healing Potions left.

Jack turned back to Moran and saw that Mrk and Brom were already at his side. The ratling was kneeling, shivering, while Brom was desperately trying to open his mouth. Jack didn’t understand why, until with a crisp crack, his mouth opened and Moran took in a shivering breath. His lips had been melted together.

Jack turned around and threw up.

He must have blacked out for a second, because the next time he rose his head, Amenor’s remaining soldiers were engaging their own. Nadun was furious. He was throwing spell after spell, though blood was trickling from his nose.

But that was a lesser concern.

Moran.

He turned and once he did, Ava was on top of him.

“Jack, Elia doesn’t have any herbs left. And there aren’t any Healing Potions. Here or in the village.”

He opened his mouth to speak. He didn’t know what he was about to say. Perhaps a complete negation of reality. This couldn’t be happening because it couldn’t be happening. Ava didn’t let him.

“No, don’t speak! Focus. I need you to learn a Spell.”

“Wh-“

“I said don’t speak!” she shrieked. “You did it before. You learned Spells without a Class. Do it now. Learn a Spell! A Healing Spell!”

“Ava, I can’t-“

Can I?

“I would have thought you’d have been more concerned about your commander.” The elf’s voice spoke, from somewhere high above. “The boy was merely the conduit to him. Though I admit, suffering a |Healer| on a battlefield would have been a strategic mistake on my part.”

“Fuck you!” Jack snarled, while Ava aimed her bow at the sky.

“After all, you didn’t see me intervene and help the knight. A commander for a commander. The |Healer| was just a sign of my ever-growing impatience.”

“Come down here, you pointy eared f-“

“Jack!” Ava snapped. “No. No cursing, no nothing. Learn the Spell. Don’t do anything else.”

“Ava, I don’t even know what it’s called!” Jack brokenly said, feeling tears of his own starting to form.

“|Heal|. It’s called |Heal|, alright? There must be a Spell like that! Learn it!”

“Ava-“ Brom started, but shut up just as quickly.

An arrow was aimed straight at his forehead.

“No! When he had to save you, he put his life in danger. He’ll do the same for Moran.”

Her voice was quieter, but just as intense. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Mrk startle, but reach for his daggers. He shook his head at him.

It wouldn’t come to that. It couldn’t.

“Av-“ Jack said and jumped in place when her bow swinged to aim at him. “Ava, I’ll try.”

She nodded silently, tears streaming down her face.

He closed his eyes and tried to look inside himself. Tried to feel his magic and tell it what to do. He tried to think about |Bolt| but there was nothing healing about it. He tried to look for its magic, but…. how? How was he going to do it? He strained… and heard Moran coughing.

It broke is heart further.

“Faster.” Ava’s voice said.

“Ava-“

“I’m sorry. No interruptions. Just do it. Please.”

He tried again. He reached inside his soul, but didn’t find any magic. Only pain. He wasn’t a |Mage| or |Magician|. Whatever his gift was, that allowed him to level so quickly… whatever his curse… it didn’t extend to this.

Moran coughed again.

“Ava, I don’t know how.”

“Then- then get a new Class! Get a |Healer| Class. You get Classes easily.”

“Wh- But I can’t just wish for a-“

“I don’t care. Get a Class or I shoot.” She said, eyes manically wide.

“Ava, please…”

“No! No, no, no. You will net let him die. Please, Jack. I’ll give you anything. Please, please don’t let him die.”

She was alternating between begging and threatening. Looking like she was slowly losing her mind as Moran slowly lost his life.

“Learn a Spell! Get a Class! Please!”

“Ava…” Jack said, finally breaking down to cry.

It wasn’t the threatening that did it. It was the look of abject fear in his friend’s eyes as she tried to make a miracle happen. The way she was desperately clinging to an inexistent strand of hope…

He saw his friends crying as well. Their army had either defeated or fought off Amenor’s soldiers for there were more sounds of fighting. Elia and Nadun stood silently next to them, though the mage seemed to have a Spell ready.

“I can’t. I’m sorry.” Jack finally said.

“Sorry? You’re s- I DON’T CARE! I’ll fucking kill you! I love you, but I love him more! Please! Just… I can’t do this again. I can’t lose… I can’t… AAAAGH! Just learn the fucking spell! Don’t make me do this! Please! PLE-“

“Ava.”

It was a whimper of a sound, yet it managed to cut through.

Ava stopped, dropped her bow as was by Moran’s side the very next second. How he managed to speak was a miracle. Perhaps a dying man’s last wish.

“Ava… This isn’t you… Don’t… be like this…”

“I… I’m sorry. I know, I’ll apologize later. But I can’t lose you. Don’t die, alright? ...please?”

She was trying to smile. Jack only saw madness in that expression. But perhaps Moran saw something else, for he tried to smile as well.

“You… heh, you… said you love me.”

“Ha!” she said, laughing while crying. “Yeah well, you can’t always be the softie.”

“It’s… alright. I love you too.”

“Then don’t die? Please? I don’t want to be alone again. I don’t want to be without you!”

“You… are not… your Class. You… will never be alone… again.” He said and looked at Jack and the others.

Ava didn’t look back.

“But I won’t be with you either…” she said in small voice.

“I… will always… love you… Ava.”

“And I you. You know that, right?”

You could hear the wind in that absence of sound.

“Right?” Ava asked again, voice quivering.

She didn’t dare reach out. Didn’t tear take his pulse.

“Moran? Please don’t be dead. Please? I don’t ask for much. Just this. P- please?”

 

|Class Removed: Outcast|

 

|Class Unlocked: Archer|

 

|Class Level Raised: Archer|

|Class Level: 15|

 

|Class Level Raised: Archer|

|Class Level: 18|

 

|Class Level Raised: Archer|

|Class Level: 21|

 

|Class Advancement: Archer à Selenic Archer|

|Class Level: 21|

|New Skills:|

|Summon Crescent Bow|

|Temporary Skill: Lunar Barrage|

|Temporary Skill: Horns of The Moon|

|Light Arrow|

|Medium S…

It didn’t matter. None of that mattered to Ava. Not at the moment. All those things she heard and saw… that just meant that Moran’s final act of will was to accept her so completely that her accursed Class got overpowered. To love her so much, that the very definition of the word ‘outcast’ could not feasibly apply to her.

His final act.

Which meant… truly meant that he was… dead.

The scream that came out of hear tore through the air a thousand curses, a thousand forgotten Spells, a thousand regrets. It was all of her grief and sorrow and lost joy. It spoke of what she lost, perhaps for the second time and what she knew she would never recover.

He didn’t know when he did it. He never remembered taking the decision consciously, but he was hugging her the next second. Mrk and Brom did so as well, as they all had for Brom before. Only four of the now, when there used to be five.

They stayed like that for a time, Ava quietly sobbing, without anyone interrupting them. When they finally broke apart, it was Elia who came to them.

“I am… I am so sorry for your loss. I…”

“Come on.” Jack said, motioning to her to a spot a few feet away.

Ava needed to grieve. Not that the satyr seemed able of understanding spoken words anymore.

“It’s over, Jack. Nadun managed to command his soldiers and eliminated the remaining Amenorian army. We also checked on Maleh. He’s fine, just knocked out. It was true, the only thing keeping him awake was… was…”

“Moran’s Skill. And with him gone, his Skill vanished too.” Jack said quietly. “I get it.”

Elia nodded and tried to steel herself. She failed, shoulders slouching forward. She still spoke.

“I’ve ordered the gates opened. We should all go inside. I’ll send for someone to help you with Moran’s… body.” She said and sighed. “I can’t believe it’s all over.”

“That is wise, because it is not.” The elf spoke.

Jack flinched and instinctively looked around. Out of the corner of his eyes he saw his friends do the same. Ava… Jack didn’t like the look in her eyes.

“You believe my strength lay in those soldiers? They were a means to an end. Like Amenor itself is. They do as they are told and they receive what I deign to provide in return for faithful service. As for you… I heard your conversation. You believe I will not use considerable force because you will not either? That as long as you do not reveal your artifact, I will not use greater magic? That my magic is limited?”

He laughed and to Jack’s horror it actually sounded delighted.

“Long have the days past when the might of elfs could ever be considered limited. |Summon: Crimson Fire Elemental|”.

They saw it as it came into being, just a little more than one hundred feet away from them. A spark of fire appeared in the air, which soon double, before turning into twin spheres of red fire. An inferno came pouting out of them, taking on the form of a large being, neckless, with thick limbs. All composed of the same blood-red fire, mixed with orange lick of flame. The two spheres served as its eyes, if it could be said to have one. It didn’t have a mouth, or face for that matter, but Jack felt it roar as a silent blistering heat wave hit them.

“You will bend the knee or I will continue to send more and more powerful attacks against you. My previous offer has been rescinded. I now only offer you your lives, in exchange for the village and the forest. We will talk next after you deal with my Elemental or it deals with you.”

So saying, the voice whispered off, silence reigning after it. Silence and the sound of flaming footsteps, as the scorching being advanced towards them.

“That… Helmrest is made of wood.” Elia said. “Our wall is primarily made of wood. We… we can’t fight that!”

“What choice do we have? You heard the elf.” Jack said. “We give away everything and we get to keep our lives. How magnanimous. Not that I trust him to keep his end of the bargain.”

“My mages are spent.” Nadun said, coming near them. “I cannot endanger them further. But I will stay. I have a little magic left in me. I can fight… for some time.”

Jack looked around at his friends and allies. The soldiers were tired and afraid. None of them wanted to get near that thing. He didn’t see any mercenaries around either… he guessed they were either all dead or the survivors had run off. Only his friends looked to be up for it, but not even they looked… normal. Brom looked conflicted, looking at the satchel containing the Helm every two seconds. Mrk seemed to glance between Ava and himself, looking ashamed. Ava herself… she stared at the Elemental, a look of undisguised hate in her face.

“No. No, Ela take the survivors back into the village. Get bows and climb on the walls. If you can, tie wet rags or clay pots filled with water to the arrows. Anything wet. You’ll get poorer range, but maybe it’ll help.”

“Right. Right, I will. But Jack… you’ve sacrifice enough. You all have. If it gets to it… I think it would be better for all of us to run then for one more of you to die.”

His friend looked conflicted. Jack knew Elia must have doubted herself every second she fought for Helmrest’s independence. That she though at times that it might have been better to just give in.

No.

“We’ll get through this, Elia. We always do. Nadun, you take your mages back inside too. Go with them. If you can scrounge up any mana, try and make the wall flame-proof. Or douse that thing with magical water, you know best.”

The man looked like he wanted to argue, but didn’t seem to have the strength for even that. He nodded.

Turning back, he looked at Brom.

“Brom. I know what you’re thinking.”

The dwarf flinched, but Jack went on. The elemental might not have been fast, but it never stopped advancing.

“You don’t want to use it. You think you’re unworthy. But… you’re the only among us with enough knowledge to make it work.”

“It’s… not that. My Class changed. I am an |Oathkeeper| now. Seems like your words were prophetic.” He laughed and continued before Jack could speak again. “Something to be discussed at a later date. But… Jack, I now know I am worthy. Not without sin, never without sin. But I know I am now worthy of wearing Vatrir’s Helm. Yet… Nadun first mentioned that they were several scrying spells locked on to us. I fear… one of them may be from my dwarfhold.”

“Oh…” Jack said, realizing. “You think they would not think you worthy. You fear angering them.”

“Yes, but not because of just me. Jack, they made war on Amenor as a simple punishment. If my kin would see me wearing it as think it a sin… I fear what they would do to the human settlement harboring me.”

“Perhaps we can calm your worries.” A new voice said.

This time, the voice was not without a source. A pillar of earth rose, between them and the Elemental, making the being stop in its tracks. The pillar molded itself, taking the dwarf of a man. No… a dwarf.

Brom let out a strange sound from his throat upon seeing it and fell to his knees.

“I am Barund Mountainheart, |Deep Speaker| of Nemarin-Dum. By my will and that of the |Underking|, hear my words.”

Jack noticed details that stood out on the dwarf’s… earth replica. He was dressed in what looked like robes, only weaved of thick strands. His beard was long and braided. And his staff held an ornate shape on top, that glowed, even when his replica was made of mud and soil.

“The elfs have returned and we salute them. Yet they have allied themselves with Amenor and we know what dark promised they have made to the kingdom of humans. In exchange for their help, the elfs promise them vengeance against our kin, with fire and spell. For this, we act. The Children of The Deep have long memories and even should no harm come to us, we will remember this act.”

“The Children of The Deep.” The elf’s voice said, sounding scornful. “Do you even remember who first held that name? Or have your memories of stone finally broke down to pebbles?”

“That is why we now speak to you, Brom of the Mountainhearts.” The dwarf continued, as if he heard nothing. “The clans have spoken their will. You are still rejected by the dwarfhold, as say the Forgeborn and the Mountainhearts. Only the Gradun would welcome you back and they are not enough.”

Jack saw Brom bow his head, ashamed once more. Yet, he also saw Ava come stand by his side, placing one hand over his shoulder.

“On this matter, our will remains unchanged. Yet, there the clans have spoken on one more thing. Brom of The Mountainhearts, though your sins to us are still red, we see your Class. You are no longer one who breaks oaths, but one who keeps them. So say the Forgeborn and the Gradun’s. The Mountainhearts abstain. That is enough for us to consider you no longer an enemy of all dwarfkind.”

Brom flinched again and raised his head. There was tentative hope in his eyes.

“For this, we allow you to use the Helm of Vatrir without fear of retribution. And as one of those who retrieved it, we allow you to decide its owner, as we would any other. That is also our will.”

“So, the Children of The Deep, famous for not taking sides, have taken a side.” The elf sounded. “This is the hypocrisy which made us first abscond from the world. We are not surprised. We are simply-“

“We do not speak to those of low honor.” The |Deep Speaker| said and for the first time he sounded angry. “Not directly and not at all if we can help it. Brom Mountainheart. Use the Helm of Vatrir. Vatrir of The Deep. Remind the world of the dwarven might. And crush our enemies!”

As if the spell animating the earth could not take the anger, the mud replica got crushed itself.

No new sound came for another few seconds. The elf did not speak again. The Crimson Fire Elemental again began do advance.

“You heard papa dwarf.” Ava said, trying to joke. “Time to use that shiny helmet.”

“Helm.” Brom corrected her, but didn’t seem like he was doing it consciously.

Mrk came forward and offered the Helm to Brom. The ratling seemed to have developed a talent for being at the right moment and the right time to do the right thing.

With trembling hands, Brom took the Helm, though he did not don it yet.

“We’ll end this. This and whatever else he throws at us. For Moran.” Jack said with quiet conviction.

“For friend.” Mrk continued. “For Moran.”

“For the heart of our group. For Moran.” Brom said and put on the helm.

“The heart of the group.” Ava quietly laughed. “True. And… for my heart. For Moran.”

The turned as one and advanced on the flaming brute.

“Any plan, Brom?” Jack asked.

“That’s not normal fire. I know of a gem which absorbs fire, motion… It reverts the energy and unleashed it as a stilling wave.”

“Stealing?” Mrk asked.

Stilling. Freezing. Perhaps it will kill it. At the very least, it should weaken it.”

“Right. So you attack it and steal its power while we hammer at it.” Jack concluded. “Simple.”

“Good. I need something to hurt right now.” Ava snarled and charged forward.

With a shout they all ran after her.

The elemental didn’t lunge or increase its speed. It didn’t even seem capable of throwing fire after them, like Jack feared. Yet Brom was right. They weren’t fighting normal fire. When the being struck its ground with its limbs, the ground caught fire. But normal fire died out without fuel. This one just… seemed to endued. And it trailed in the direction of the closest opponent, as if it had intelligence of its own. Though the worst thing? The worst thing it seemed to have an affinity for blood.

They made it about fifteen feet from him when they all screamed or whelped. Whether it was fresh or dried, every ounce of blood on their bodies burst into fire, singing skin and hair alike.

“My wounds feel like they’re burning!” Jack shouted.

“That’s because they are.” Brom shouted back. “Be careful. No new injuries. I’m going in.”

Jack had the chance of witnessing’s the Helm’s power in the field. In less than a second, Brom’s body turned from flesh to a light blue-green colored crustal. The dwarf placed his axe and shield on is back and attacked the Elemental with his bare hands.

It didn’t like that.

“Shit! Charge it!” Jack screamed, as he saw his friend being pummeled into the ground.

Mrk dove around it, enchanted daggers cutting out pieces of it, the pieces themselves flying away to incinerate patches of ground.

Jack himself didn’t have any useful spells or Skills, but this was an ambush. He had one Skill specialized in that.

“|Kill Zone|”

His friends received a jolt of energy. Suddenly, Brom could stand up, his hands wrestling with the pummeling elemental. It had an effect too, as the fire being continued to cool down, the heat wave around it gradually lessening. Its flames were losing intensity too. And as this happened, Brom’s crystalline body kept glowing more and more intensely.

“More time.” The dwarf shouted. “I need more time.”

Mrk nodded and moved feverishly.

“|Scurried Steps|!”

He was dodging, cutting and weaving, every movement he made cutting more and more out of the Elemental.

“|Piercing Shot|! |Light Arrow|!”

The first arrow shit through entirely, leaving a hole in its wake. However, it was the second of Ava’s arrows that did the most damage. Both arrows hit the being in its eyes, but when the twin holes were sealed of by flame again, only the arrow made of light succeeded in making sure the Elemental’s eye didn’t come back.

“I think you made it angry!” Jack shouted, as the fire monster tried to come after Ava.

“You think?” the satyr screamed.

Brom was managing to slow it down, putting his entire body into the push. His body’s glow got so bright it hurt to stare at him directly, when he screamed.

“Now! Get back!”

They barely managed to do so, when the dwarf let loose.

A wave of… something emanated from Brom. It made the grass around it still, even though the wind was still blowing. The fire that had been spreading on the ground winked out of existence. And the Elemental? Well.

Its body had almost completely evaporated. What remained was a thin frame, hunched over, shorter than Jack was. It was quicker now, moving in quick spasms, though it didn’t use its new found speed for an attack, even as Brom fell on his back, having returned back to his normal body.

“It is… it is harder than I thought.” The dwarf huffed.

“What’s it doing?” Ava asked, looking at the now small fire being.

“I don’t believe it feels fear…” Brom said, breathing hard. “But it must feel something akin to it. Yet, it cannot disobey commands. It is caught between attacking and fleeing?”

“Can it think?”

“No. Not as we do.”

“Good. |Summon Crescent Bow|.”

The same bow that Jack saw before appeared in her hand. It seemed that Ava had final managed to use her trick on purpose.

“Light harms you. One light arrow took out your eye. I wonder what a hundred will do.” She said, before nocking and speaking again. “This is for Moran. |Lunar Barrage|.”

A wave of glowing arrows shot out of her bow, hitting the elemental in a shower of light. When they could see again, they… saw nothing. No elemental to speak off. It was gone, sprayed off by Ava’s new Skill.

“Well. That was impressive. If I didn’t feel like fainting, I’d applaud you.” Jack said.

Mrk just proved he was the bigger ratling by actually applauding Brom and Ava.

“Yes, quite. I feel the need to do so as well.” The elf said.

A groan was shared by them, when the sound of clapping stilled them. Only, it wasn’t the sound per se, it was the image of the elf clapping. His illusion Spell was once again active.

“Bravo. The day is full of surprises. Not o-“

The image disappeared. Ava lowered her bow, self-consciously, arrow still in hand.

“It wasn’t me. I mean, I wanted to do it, but I didn’t get a chance.”

“So, your would-be guardians are still protecting you. Well, for some measure of ‘protection’.” The elf’s voice amusingly said, before taking on a serious tone. “I tire of this. I will not be denied.”

A glowing sphere of magic appeared in the air. It was large, about as tall as Ava and… powerful. Jack felt his mana replenish itself just by standing near it. He felt like he could have cast a hundred |Bolts| and never tire. Then, with a sound like a detonation, it disappeared.

Leaving the elf himself standing there.

How did Jack know he wasn’t an illusion or a replica, like the dwarf was? Because Jack could feel magic itself pushing down on him. Trails of light were swarming around his fingers and an accidental set of vines shot out of the ground, his Spell shooting off without him willing it to do so.

“Rejoice, for I am here in person. You are the first of your respective races to gaze upon one of my kin in millennia. Hmmm… perhaps more. Now, as I was saying. Not one lost artifact on the field today, but two. The Helm of Vatrir. And the Crescent Bow. To think the satyrs had it all along. Little thieves.” He said and his voice sounded almost endearingly.

“Thieves?” Ava got out, too shocked to be angry. “My people aren’t thieves. My village’s founder got this bow. From the moon!”

“I see. From the moon. And how did he obtain it?” the elf pleasantly asked.

“By chipping off… a fragment… of it.”

The elf said nothing for a few seconds. Only stared down at her.

“You posses Skills entangled with that artifact and that desires some respect. Which is why I will impart this knowledge. The bow being from the moon is a half-truth. Your mind cannot comprehend the full truth. The one to first… obtain it, let’s say, was not a Satyr. Though I suppose I can see why it would pass on to your little people.”

Ava was silent for a little while, before speaking again.

“I guess the story was kind of stupid. But you know what?”

“What?” the elf asked.

“You still killed the man I loved. |Horns of The Moon|.”

Twin rays of lights shot out of her hastily raised bow, leaving glowing spiraling trails as they burst towards the elf.  He was going to be skewered. He was going to have his heart and forehead drilled through. He… raised his hand.

And the twin rays of light slammed into a violet shield, the light dissipating.

“One more lesson. Spell need not be spoken aloud to work, not unlike Skills.  The caster must simply posses them. Now, here is a Spell I will speak aloud. |Pinpoint Spell: Lightning Lance|”

Even as he began to speak the Spell, they moved. Mrk used his Skill and dashed in front of Ava. Brom threw his shield towards Mrk, who was already mid-jump. Jack used both his desperation and the piece of knowledge the elf imparted to summon a |Barrier| into existence, just away from the elf’s hand.

Time moved slowly for a few moments, before it resumed at lightning speed. The elf’s horizontal tower of lighting tore through Jack’s Spell like wet paper, though it did slow it down for a fraction of a second. Enough for Mrk to move the caught shield in front of Ava.

The Spell struck the shield and though it did not damage it, it still slammed it into Ava. The satyr got blasted off her feet, landing on her back a dozen feet away. She got up, but slowly. She was hurt.

As was Mrk. The ratling cradled one of his arms and it looked broken.

“No? Shame. You have given me offense and I though it poetical to end you with the same Spell I ended the ‘man you loved’. In any case, your little nonsensical game had given me enough time to gather mana for my Spell.”

Jack eyes widened as he turned to look back at the elf.

“You didn’t think I came all this was to simply converse, did you? I came to win. And my apologies for the delay, long distance magical traveling is quite tiring. Enough that only we are able to do it, in this day and age. Now. On to the finale.”

All this time, the elf’s hands barely moved. Now, he produced a dagger. Hilt ornate, blade gleaming. It looked to be made of a white silver. In a quick motion, he slashed the palm of his hand, blood dripping on the ground.

“|Waters of the Burning Blood|”

From where his blood had seeped into the ground, something started to bubble to the surface. It looked like a puddle and soon it grew into a very small pond. The liquid… liquid fire is what Jack would have described it as. It bubbled and smoked and the surface always seemed to be in turmoil.

It stopped growing, though what came next terrified Jack and the other even more. An elemental, like the one before came out of it. Smaller, not the hulking shape of the one they fought. The problem was… it wasn’t just one.

As the first exited the pond, a second started to climb out. This one looked much like the first one, though it was slimmer and taller. Then a third came out, squat and thick. Then a fourth. And a fifth. And a sixth.

They only stopped when ten of them had arrayed themselves behind the elf. Only when the elf had closed his wound and his blood stopped flowing into the flaming pond.

“You do not have the magic to destroy this Spell. There are none around you that have it either. If you manage to destroy one of the Crimson Fire Elementals, another will take its place. There will always be ten of them. They will burn your village, while I sit and watch. And wait for your surrender.”

He looked at them, as if expecting an answer. When none came, he sighed.

“If this forest wouldn’t be as important to my kin and if I didn’t need you to give it to me… well. Go forth.”

The flaming figured advanced and though Jack tried to raise a hand after them, perhaps try and use a Spell, Brom held him back. The dwarf only looked at him sadly and shook his head.

“Listen to your friend, child. The ‘might of dwarfs’. Ha! There is no salvation. The Helm of Vatrir can be used by any dwarf, true, but one of a low level can only use it for so long. The same seems to hold true for the bow. Which is why your satyr friend no longer possess it.”

It was true. Ava had managed to get up and walked to them, only to collapse on the ground while she reached them. And there was now Crescent Bow on her person. Her Skill had ended and it didn’t look like it was the type of Skill which could be used often.

“Your two artifacts? Gone. The army of defenders? Withered away. You yourselves? I see a |Selenic Archer| of minimal level. The rest of you? Horrendously low Leveled. As for the Classes… a |Rogue| and a… oh, how interesting.” The elf laughed. “I shall not spoil the fun, not just yet.”

He turned to Brom next.

“An |Oathkeeper|. Rare Class in this age, I’ll give you that, son of the mountain. Yet you are weak.”

Finally, he looked at Jack and his eyes widened.

“You- you child are called Jack. Yes, that is what the others call you. Six Classes… You are on the verge of becoming a |Jack|. How you are still not… Is this your purpose? Achieving old legends? No. No, I see the lack of knowledge in your eyes. Just a fool then. Pathetic.”

The elf shook his head and motioned to his advancing elementals.

“Almost to the halfway point. Your time is running out. Or do you really must witness those under your protection be burned to death to finally motivate you. Because understand this. I will have this forest. And any settlement around it. For it, I will burn your village. After which, I will burn your friends. And finally, I will burn you. Is that something that needs to happen to let go of a gift you never wanted?”

Jack was silent, deep in thought. Did it even matter. They fought and lost. For what? For Helmrest to stand on its own. Free of a rope around its neck, from one kingdom or another. Yet Helmrest… Helmrest was its people. Elia, Lola… even those like Mr. Norn. The people were those who mattered. And the clearing… his first home. Yet even there, his Refuge consisted of its members. Mrk. Brom. Ava. He couldn’t protect Moran. He had to protect the rest.

I have to give him what he wants.

“No one is coming. There is no one powerful enough to save you. Not for a long distance and I have told you. My kin are the only ones capable of traversing large swaths of land quickly.”

“Not exactly.” A new voice sounded.

It was a voice Jack knew. One Mrk knew as well, seeing as how he flinched. A… feminine voice.

Jack turned and stared at the figure raising from the grass. It was as if she had always been there, simply unnoticed. Perhaps she had been.

“Melena.” He whispered.

“You.” The elf said and his voice sounded like thunder.

It was the first time Jack saw the elf lose his temper. He looked… still beautiful. Still almost perfect. But now, it was a terrible kind of beauty, like wrath given elegance.

“You have left. You have abandoned this forest. It is yours no longer. You have no right to claim it back.”

“No. Yet I have every right to defend its current owner.” She said, before turning back to Jack. “Jack. We last parted on sorrowful terms. I hope you do not judge me too harshly for only now appearing. I also had to wait my powers to gather.”

The elf motioned after hearing that, his elementals stopping in their advance and turning around. Yet Jack had no eyes for that.

Melena.

That nymh had acted in ways that costed him. But she has also given him much. Jack knew, somehow, that the Refuge was what had pulled all those lost souls to it. His friends. And she has protected him. And the village. Yet… things had changed.

“Moran’s dead. Why didn’t you come sooner?” Jack asked.

Melena didn’t flinch. That would be beneath her stature. Her it was evident that Jack’s  dead tone disturbed her.

“I couldn’t. It took me a while to arrive even from the nearest gate, yet I sense that is not what you ask. As for why I didn’t leave sooner… I couldn’t.”

“Why?”

“I left this place because I was called back. I was not permitted to return until he manifested physically.”

“Why? Not permitted by whom?” Jack asked, growing angrier.

“Because that was what my elder decided.” Melena said, face gone sad.

That made the elf laugh, though it wasn’t a kind laughter.

“Your elder… still following and guarding a lost hope I see.”

Melena frowned, but said nothing.

“I will not permit you to take the forest.” She said, staring at him unflinchingly.

“You would stop me?” the elf laughed again. “How?”

This time, it was Melena’s turn to smile.

“As I said, I needed time to regain my power as well.

Rumbling sounds come from the forest and Jack and the others were left speechless. Before them, an entire section of the forest came walking, if ‘walking’ was the correct word. It looked as if someone had taken a tree, uprooted it, and chiseled its trunk and branches into the shape of gigantic humanoids.

Their roots had tangled together to form pairs of legs, and part of the branches had done the same to form arms, the wood fusing together. The remaining branches looked like wild manes of hair, while their trunks now sprouted crude features. Holes where eyes would have been on a face and splintered bark in shape of a mouth. Out of the forest they came, made from trees and the same size as them. But not then. Twenty. Twenty walking trees came out of the forest and stopped in a line, the same distance away from them as the elementals were.

“…treants?” the elf spoke, sounding fearful for a second. “No. I sense not their power. And their kin have been gone far longer than my own, far too long for you to summon them. Animated trees then. Natural elementals.”

“A crude description.” Melena spoke. “Though it serves. Should you try to force Jack in giving you the forest, these defenders will help him and those of his. You think them weak? They were awakened with magic I have gathered directly from my elder. You think to wait? It will be long before they grow roots again, if they ever will. And I sense, that you have too little magic to protect their summoning site, for your elementals to replenish their numbers once destroyed.”

“I?” the elf asked, face frowning. “I have too little magic to guard it? Against you!?”

“No. Against me.”

No one flinched this time. They were too tired. This… entire thing had already surpassed any level where they would have had any chance at interfering. They were now children, watching a game played by adults.

They did turn around, however and saw it. Saw her.

Like the first time Jack laid eyes on her, she formed herself from bits and pieces. Leaves flew from the forest, dancing on the wind and caught themselves in a whirlwind. Spinning, they stuck to each other, gathering a rosy tint at the same time. A form manifested and it was that of a woman, clad in nothing but power, skin made of green and pink leaves.

Rosa.

“We know why you desire Melena’s former grounds, Child of The Stars.” Rosa said. “At the very least, we suspect it. You cannot have it.”

“Y- you dare show yourself in front of me?!” the elf shouted. “After what you have done? After your curse?”

Curse?

“We do not see things eye to eye. A curse for you is justice for us. Regardless. Melena might not be a match for you. Yet I am. Even far away as I am, I can still brake apart your spell. My guardians of the forest will tear your creations apart.”

This wasn’t how Jack remembered her. She remembered Rosa as kind, though distant. Sweet. Here… here he saw the thorns on the rose for the first time.

“As always, the schemes of your kin are well though off. You have used the signs of your return to play on our fears. Have me recall all my nymphs back to the glade. And use this same opportunity to play games of power. Ensnare the minds and will of kingdoms of men. Plot against us, even as you use other species as bargaining coins. And now, after this almost glade has been abandoned, you stand behind attempts of human warfare, aiming to seize it. All this time… How intelligent. But that has always been your kind, hasn’t it?”

“And what of it?” the elf snarled.

“I will tell you this. You are not a match for me. Your attempt was well-thought off, but not enough to succeed. You will not have this glade. Your punishment will endure.”

“Punishment? You call it punishment as if it is just? That you have doomed my people? Only because we refused to be used as breeding cattle for your nymphs?” he almost screamed.

What?

It was a thought, but…  the word also seemed to have escaped Jack’s mouth, for the elf turned to him, eyes feverish.

“You do not know? Of course, why would you. Why would they tell you? Do you know why my kin retreated from the world? Why we sequestered ourselves. It is because they neutered my entire race.”

He pointed at Rosa with hatred filled eyes.

“These… guardians of nothing. Protectors that favor plants over beings. For whatever dark fate may be, their children, these nymphs, could only ever breed with my kin. My people. The elfs. For we where always to serve the same goal. Nature.”

Disdain dripped from his voice.

“But some races grow. Some people wish to be more than they were ordained to. My kin learned magic. Mastered it. In time, we created the miracle of life. Me made ourselves, yet of an opposite gender. Finally, we could be a real race. One that grows and fails and succeeds on their own. But they wouldn’t let us.” He said, pointing at Rosa again.

Distantly, Jack remembered being lectured by Melena on her people peculiarities. About how if a nymph ever had a child, it would only be a normal child. Never a nymph. How only a single race could provide them with children.

And here was the answer in all his rage and fury. Elves.

“They were fearful we would not do as were told anymore. That we would fail nature. As if nature ever got us our freedom!”

The elf calmed down and stared at Jack, in a resigned manner.

“We grew distant, child, our peoples did. And when we asked for our independence, for the right to govern our own lives… well. It came to a war. Magic prevailed as it always does. Yet in their spite, they cursed as. She and her sisters. Cursed us with the same affliction their daughters had. To never be able to sire children, except with other races. And that child would never be like us… never be ours.”

He gave out a small laughter, sounding sad.

“Their way of convincing us. Yet we held on. We retreated from this damned world and only now re-entered. Now, we believe we can lift the curse. As long as can have access to their ‘magic’. To their glens, formed or not. What say you child? I saw the traces of them on you, which is why I had not asked. But what say you? Even opponents such as us deserve peace, no?”

Jack… didn’t know what to say. This problem was a lot bigger than things he usually handled. This… this concerned entire races. He looked at his friends and saw them shaking their heads or shrugging. Too big. Too big for them. As for Rosa… could they really have done that? It didn’t sound fair? Was it?

“It is larger and more complicated of a problem than you could ever know, Jack. Yet there are two things you should know. One is that we so no other way. We knew the enormity of our ask and yet we asked either way. For to accept their wish… it would have broken the world.”

She didn’t sound angry. Just sad, as she peered at the elf.

“The second us this. We did what we did to prevent the doom of our world. And now… you may hate me. For not intervening before. For not intervening now. From preventing Melena to interfere. That is because our war with them… requires more sacrifice than you could know. And if you though to believe him, believe what he implied, that the war would end should they be able to furthering their race on their own… Well. I judged your life-vine strong before. I judge it strong now. Strong enough to resist what I am about to show you.”

She gestured and a vine sprang from the ground and grasped Jack’s arm.

It lasted only a second. But in that second, Jack saw a little of what Rosa saw. He saw possibilities. Possible futures and glimpses pf the past. Flickers of scenes that happened in their previous war, entire mountains being raised and trees the size of hills being obliterated by the tenths with rolling tidal waves of magma. He saw what may come as well… elfs like the who spoke to him, but female elfs as well, ushering in a new generation. Nurturing their children, teaching them. Arming them for war. He saw them raise and army worthy of an empire and an empire they built, conquering with might and magic. All-encompassing magic.

Jack snapped back to awareness, even as Rosa continued talking with him.

“Perhaps once before, they would have been satisfied with the mere lifting of their curse. Perhaps we acted foolishly. Yet now they will stop at nothing to gain their revenge. Choose as your heart sees fit, Jack.” She said.

Jack peered at her. At the elf. Back at her.

“My name, child, is Etruriel. My methods are direct and merciless. But that is because fate made us so. Please, child, allow us our future.”

Again, that feeling. That he was out of his debt. What could he do…? How was he going to decide this? He didn’t have a Potion of Truth or a Spell or… or an artifact or… an artifact?

“Rosa.” Jack tentatively said. “You said you are equal to him in power… or almost. If you are that powerful… would a Blood Contract work on you?”

The Dryad’s brows rose, but she nodded.

“Yes, though I will not allow him to be the one using such an artifact. And I will not sign it without knowing the contents.”

“Got it, thanks. Uhm, Etruriel? If I were to sign the contract with you, promising to give you the Refuge, would you sign it too and say that you would leave the nymphs and dryads and basically every other species alone, unless directly provoked? And that you wouldn’t name a new owner who wouldn’t respect the same terms?”

The elf smiled and nodded, before freezing. He stayed, like that for quite a few second.

Only the widening of his pupils told Jack that something was wrong.

DIE!” the elf suddenly screamed.

The wave of power exploded almost at the same time. He only caught a glimpse of it, but Jack saw that it looked like nothing, a wall of void coming towards him.

He remembered Rosa screaming something and Melena jumping in front of him. He still blacked out from the sheer might of the magic which felt like tried to extinguish his life.

When he came around, he first noticed his friends, which were floating in the air, on their back. They were near to him, near enough that Jack saw how damaged they looked. Ava was scorched, though not as bad as Moran had been. Mrk had lacerations all over him and Brom had a few massive wounds, almost like something took bites out of him. Melena was near them, holding a staff of wood pointed in their direction.

“Jack! You are awake. I am happy you did not get hurt. I am… sorry for your friend. Truly.”

Jack could only stare, too tired to even think.

“Will they be alright?”

“My elder will heal them after she is finished. They will not be scarred, I do not think so.”

“Thanks.” He muttered.

Wait…

“Finished with who?”

Melena peered at him and whispered.

“Use your Spell. We are under an illusion. Rosa thought it wise that the villagers see less.”

Jack frowned, but did as he was told.

“|Dispel Compulsion|”

Like a veil coming apart, Jack could see Rosa and the elf again, not too far from where he was. As he walked there, he noticed that the dryad had pinned the elf to the ground with glowing vines. The pund of liquid fire was gone, as were the elementals.

“…stop. Never. You are a match for one of us. Perhaps a few in person. But we have grown beyond your wildest dreams. And few as we are, we are still many. Too many for you.”

“Perhaps.” Jack heard Rosa say. “I see, at the very least, that you will not stop your sudden war. I see now that you have never stopped. Have all our problems been caused by you?”

All.” The elf snarled. “No matter how many nymphs you gather. How many guardians of old you summon. It will never be enough!”

“So I see. Though you war will be with me and mine. Not others. Jack.” She said, turning to face him. “When Melena left, I though nothing of allowing her magic to remain in the soil and trees. I though a gift, to be honest, a way of blessing your village, who she has left defenseless. I see now the error of my ways. |Gather the Green|.”

Jack saw something like magic, but not quite like it fly from the forest in thick strands, coiling around themselves to form a greenish whispery sphere in Rosa’s open palm. Once fully formed, she closed her hand. There was a sound like bottled wind and when she opened her hand again, nothing remained.

“This forest if magical no more. Magical animals and plants, certain species of them, will probably remain. Their proliferation had already started and finished, in may cases. Yet this forest no longer holds a connection to our magic. It is no longer a target for them.” She said, pointing at the glaring elf.

“Rest assured, boy. We do not step on ants for the sheer pleasure of it. Unlike some others.”

Jack cared about none of that. He was sick about grand wars and racial curses, judgmental dryads and vengeful elfs. That was too big for him. He wasn’t ready yet, if we ever would be. And more, he really didn’t care. He only care about one thing right now.

“Melena said you can heal my friends. Is that right?”

“Oh.” Rosa said, sounding surprised for the first time. “Of course. As soon as he leaves, never to return.”

“Right. Then send him on his way.”

Rosa nodded and the vines untangled themselves from Etruriel’s limbs. They still remained, poised to attack. The elf himself stood up, all poise and scorn. He whispered and the same orb of magic from before appeared, starting to envelop him.

He turned around and looked at Rosa with pure hatred. But he seemed to have nothing more to say to her. At Jack, he glanced with what seemed to be slight irritation. Perhaps even a little bored. But his gaze froze for a second, just before he smiled.

“Tell me child, are you happy I’ve killed your friend.”

“…what?” Jack asked, unbelieving.

“I see now you have friends of a much higher quality. Race killers and their perpetually undressed guard dogs. Seeing that, I regret not smiting your friend sooner.”

Jack was angry, but more than that he was shocked. Was he hearing things? The elf had been bored with them, arrogant, even evil at times. But never… mocking.

“In fact, the only thing I regret is failing to eviscerate the rest of your racially eclectic group. What is it, child? Do you hate me now? Are you going to try and attack me?” the elf said, in a sing song voice.

Jack didn’t know why he was saying that. He didn’t understand a lot of things at the moment. And still he didn’t care.

“Know this. I will not forget this. Not killing Moran, not hurting my friends and not starting this entire war.”

“Oh?” Etruriel smiled. “And what will you do about it, I wonder? You know, except not forgetting about it for the rest of your incredibly short life?”

“I will come after you, elf. You may be a master of magic, but you’ve never seen anyone like me, I guarantee it. I’ll come after you and, on that day, you’ll rue the difference between us.”

Jack meant it too. He knew he was different. Whatever it was that made him Level so quickly or gain Classes so easily. He’d use it. He’d been such a fool, wasting this gift. No longer! He had already started to use it seriously. Now, he’d make sure he’d use it to grow as powerful as he could get, Class limit or not. And when the day finally comes when he stops advancing, he will break this elf and all who stand before him.

“Oh. Are you then to be my nemesis? My glowing mirror? Or are you going to avenge your friends?”

“Jack-“

“This isn’t about me!” Jack screamed. “But you threaten war. You want it. And you. Killed. My. Friend! I will avenge him, no matter the cost!”

“So be it.” Etruriel laughed victoriously. “I hereby accept your quest and recognize you as the avenger to my sins!”

 

|Class Assigned: Avenger|

|Class Level: 5|

 

What…NO!

Jack lunged for the elf, wishing to break his head off with his bare hands. Rosa’s vines shot forward as well. But it was too late. The sphere of light had already enveloped him. He laughed as he shouted, disappearing from view, with only his words remaining behind, echoing as they did.

“Still so much your new friends failed to teach you about Classes, child. A true Jack, after all.”

Jack landed on his knees, where Etruriel has been not a second before, listening to the voice speak again.

 

|Class Integration - Classes:|

|Craftsman|

|Gatherer|

|Gardener|

|Forest Cook|

|Pathfinder|

|Leader|

|Avenger|

 

|Class Assigned: Jack of All Trades|

|Class Level: 31|

 

|Class Locked: Jack of All Trades|

 

His heart was threatening to beat its way out of his chest. He… no. He couldn’t believe it.

No. Not after everything. Not…

No because of a trick.

Jack kneeled on the ground, the elf’s final punishment finally having made itself known. A final act of spite. Intelligently done, like Rosa said his entire race was. A punishment equal to the goals Jack had set out for himself. A newfound drive for excellence… extinguished.

In a world which proved out to be a lot bigger than he originally thought, where threats were more common and diverse, Jack just kneeled on the ground. Tired. Defeated.

With a final sigh, he toppled, tiredness finally sending him into oblivion.

The war had ended.

They had won.

He had lost.

5