Chapter 2.5
79 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Mrk!”

Jack woke up gasping, grasping for something that wasn’t there. He was in their room, though one of the beds was now empty. Brom came by his side, as did Ava a second later.

“You’re awake. Good. We feared it might take longer.”

Jack;s memory came back, of the night before. He remembered Mrk’s story, his gain of a new Spell, which allowed his rating friend to be free of some of his burden. And he membered the mooseling. How easy she dispatched them. And how she carried Mrk away, like he was nothing more than a package.

“Why longer?” he asked, groggily.

“Because you’ve burned out your magic.” Ava answered. “We’ve been making you sip on some Mana Potions, but…”

“But we weren’t sure how long it would take for you to wake up.”

Jeck felt at his ribs and at his nose. They felt mostly alright, if a little sore.

“We’ve used some Healing Potion.” Brom said, guessing his thoughts. “The situation demanded it.”

“Are you guys all right?” Jack asked.

“Eh, I’ve been better. I’m worried.” Ava admitted.

“Physically, yes. Mentally and spiritually…”

“Yeah. What was that? I didn’t even see her move. I just remembered getting a short feeling of my magic going out and then I remember waking up on the floor. Nothing in between.”

“That is the after effect of being knocked out.” Brom said. “It erases a few second of memory. As for how she did it…”

“It’s what she said.” Ava continued. “It’s all about Levels. I think she was a really high level, too. Possibly like the entire Amenor’s army Levels combined.”

“Perhaps not that much.” Brom frowned. “Yet certainly higher by a lot than we are.”

“She said she was a |Scout|.” Jack remembered. “That’s… that’s a little like Mrk, right? |Rogue|? But he’s never been the top fighter among us. How could she be-“

“Like that?” Ava asked. “Levels. I have no other idea how.”

“It’s true that her Class doesn’t lend itself to such martial prowess. Speed, yes. But not fighting Skill. Perhaps she lied. Or, perhaps…”

“She is fucking high Level.” Ava concluded.

That wasn’t good. Jack had no doubt in his mind about going after their friend, but if that was their foe… And she did say she’d probably be waiting for them.

Probably… why probably?

“We need to go after Mrk.” Jack said and noticed his two friends nodding.

“And the mission?” Ava asked. “I mean, we’re here after Penor because we need to help you.”

“I know, but we can’t waste time on this while Mrk’s gone. Every second that passes, that armored mouse gets further and further away.”

“That is true.” Brom interceded. “Yet having Penor help you and retrieving Mrk are not mutually exclusive tasks. You once possessed a Skill and Class that would be crucial in this quest.”

Jack actually had to think about it for a second. His former Classes were no longer a part of himself as they once were.

“|Pathfinder|!” he exclaimed.

“Precisely. And even if Penor’s talents do not bring your Classes back, removing the |Jack| Class might also do the trick. Your once great talent lay in easily obtaining new Classes. We will need a |Scout| or |Tracker| of our own, if we are to find our friend.”

“Great! Plan done.” Ava said, dragging Jack up from his bed. “What are we waiting for?”

“Plan not done.” Brom insisted. “We may be able to persuade the man, but should be admit we have been after him all along?”

“…how is he now? Still scared?”

“Oh, the prick actually relaxed once he found out our attacker was after Mrk and not after him. He’s still a little jumpy, but not as much as before.”

“Then could we tell him the truth? It’s our fastest way forward.”

“We could… I’ll be using my Skills, |Trustful Demeanor| and |Calming Presence| both. It should help. But we need to discuss what we are willing to offer him.”

“For this? Everything.” Jack said.

“No! Think about it, Jack. He is a foreign individual, of a very high station. With powerful enemies after him. He might not only demand a place to stay in Helmrest and I suspect he would ask for quite a luxurious abode, but he might also ask for safety. Safety we are not sure we could afford to give. Especially if The Barony wants him as well.”

“Then I guess, we’ll have to wing it.” Jack said. “And if he really plays hard to get, the we leave him. Tell The Barony they can have him, along with what information we already have on him. Maybe that’ll mean I have another chance at him in the future. But we can’t waste time.”

“Then that’s a plan. For real, this time.” Ava said. “Let’s go smooth talk us a |Royal Administrator|.”

They left the house and had a quick chat with Nole. It seemed that the high-risk flight constituted enough experience for the man to make him Level. He was a |Coachman| Level 4 now. No new Skills sadly. Yet it was him that told them Penor and Larissa were at the tavern. The woman busy as always, while the man himself was helping keeping the customers involved, by way of stories.

They made their way there and found their target sitting at a table. As they entered the tavern, Penor’s other guests sat up and left, leaving the man himself to welcome them,

“My friends! Words do not express my sorrow for your loss. Though I rejoice that the… thing was not after myself or my sweet, my heart still goes for you. Mrk was a one-of-a-kind friend. What will you do?”

“We are going after him. That much was never in question.” Jack honestly said. “I don’t care if that armored mouse was high-Level or not. We’re not abandoning him.”

“Going against an opponent Skilled enough to be considered an army in one.” Penor smiled. “You to the title of adventurer justice.”

“We will need help, however. Trackers, whether they have the Class or not. Local information about the region. In short, more capabilities than we possess.”

“Of course. Larissa will help you with your first two requests, I’m sure of it. As for the rest, you may ask around. Lendt is a poor village in this regard, but I am sure they will help in any way they can. As will I. Ask away, any questions about your Classes or Classes in general. If I can answer them, I can.”

“Look, Penor, buddy, my friends here are trying to be diplomatic, but we really are short on time.” Ava cut in, to Brom and Jack’s fright. “So we’ll do this the satyr’s way. We know you can influence Classes. We think you can even influence a |Jack| Class. Maybe even have it fuck off to someplace else? That’s what we need from you.”

She was smiling as she talked, but she stopped smiling when she saw all three of them were looking at her open mouthed.

“That must be the most undiplomatic request I have heard in my life.” Penor said. “And I came from the bottom.”

“Yes, well.” Brom said, ressing his voice. “Do you have a Skill or artifact that would that would ensure privacy? We are about to have a sensitive discussion, I believe.”

Penor glances at them, more serious than usual, before nodding.

“Larissa has a Skill. I trust her with all my information. If you want this conversation to be private, you will trust her too.”

“Agreed.” Jack said.

Penor got up from the table and walked to the room behind the bar. In just a couple of minutes, he was returning, with a somewhat alarmed Larissa. They sat down at the table and the woman used her Skill before she even said her greetings.

“|Spot of Silence| Hi there. I’m really sorry about Mrk. He was the first of his race that I got to meet, but he was really nice. Uhm… Penor says we have ‘sensitive matters’ to discuss?”

“We do.” Jack said. “We’ve heard about Penor’s ability to influence Classes. We’ve also heard some speculation about his supposed ability to influence the |Jack| Class. We would like to know if that is true?”

“And why would you like to know this?” Penor asked, narrowing his eyes.

He’s suspecting a ploy.

“Well.” Jack said, smiling without mirth. “It involves the battle with Amenor, me being deceived, but to be honest, a series of bad decisions on my part as well. All that led to me becoming a |Jack|.”

Larissa opened her mouth and tried to stand up, but Penor gently held her down, shushing her.

“A |Jack| then? …does your name have any importance in this?”

“You mean, like prophetic importance? I don’t think so. I hope not, since I picked it as a joke.”

“But- Why would you pick it? It’s bad luck! Nobody ever does it, but you can still tell it’s bad luck?” Larissa tried to whisper, though it came out as a stage whisper.

“Because I didn’t know better.” He confessed. “Look, it’s a long story, but the short of it is that I didn’t know much about everything, when I first arrived in the forest near Helmrest. I made a lot of bad decisions. But I can also say, without any false modesty, that I didn’t deserve to be made into a |Jack|.”

“Oh?” Penor asked. “So say all |Jacks|.”

“Jack did not abuse Classes.” Brom spoke. “He did not obtain many low-Level Classes because he was lustful for renown and he did not obtain a Class, Level it, obtain a new Class and repeat the process, like those mad fools trying to break the |Jack| rule. His |Jack| Class came out of now knowing better. Like a curse Class.”

“And you are sure of this because…?”

“Because we’ve been with him for a long part of his journey. Some most than others.” Ava said. “And because me and Brom had our own cursed Classes. But Jack helped us get rid of them. Because he’s a nice guy!”

The firmness in her voice took Penor back. He glanced at them, before speaking to Jack.

“Your friends are still loyal, at the very least. That says something. I confess, my own home has very strict rules regarding your kind. Exile or execution. Though mostly the latter.”

“Why?” Jack asked. “I’ve asked others, like my own |Mayor| but the answers always felt… incomplete.”

“Such answers often are.” Penor nodded. “I suppose the crux of it is that a Jack can never be more than what he or she is. Without that motivation, that possibility… without the path ahead being open, individuals tend to go mad. They believe everything is possible, since no matter what they do, there is no risk of… as you put it, curse Classes. No stigma on their soul. And if there is no possible way forward, by hold faith in anything or anyone? Each ruler and each power had its own interpretation of this. Yet… I believe those without Classes have everything to look forward too. Those with Classes must hold themselves in a balance, yet they too have their paths open. Those who have become |Jacks|… their freedom from choice is their cage. And therein lies their madness.”

Jack thought about it. He could see the truth in what he said, but…

I don’t care if there’s no way to help me. I am not doing that. Not becoming that.

“That’s…. that’s something I heart too.” Larissa said. “I only saw a |Jack| once. Passed through here when I was a little girl. Didn’t stay long, since the people didn’t let her. I remember her being dirty and swearing at us, but maybe that was just hardship, you know? But folks said that if we let her in, we’d be putting nails in our coffin.”

“And now, Larissa?” Jack asked. “When you see me and know what I am? How do you feel now?”

The woman hesitated, but her voice was still kind when she answered. Warry, but kind.

“I don’t know… I don’t think you’re a bad person, Jack. Just very unlucky. But in the end… I don’t know.”

Better than being cursed at.

“You understand than, why we need your help?” Brom asked.

“I do. But tell me… you can still cast magic?”

“Are we trading information or sharing?” Jack asked.

“Sharing.” The man smiled.

Jack smiled a little and answered.

“I don’t know why. The first |Mage| to teach me was in awe about it. He did mention that it wasn’t unheard off, being able to learn magic without a Class for it. Just really hard. People don’t do it, usually. Why squander a talent for magic by taking any other Class but a |Mage|? My answer was because I had already gained too many Classes by that point, so floating Spells were all I could afford. Like I said.” He smiled, turning to Larissa. “Really unlucky.”

The woman gave a small, yet honest laugh.

“And it turns out that being able to learn ‘floating’ Spells is possible even after becoming a |Jack|. I did not know that. Thank you. I imagine very few even try, given the talent required and the circumstances. Ye for those truly desperate… Yes.” He said, eyes glinting. “A fact worthy of kings.”

Jack filed away that piece of information in case Elia could make use of it.

Maybe get some more gold out of The Baron. The woman was resourceful.

“Would you be amenable to talk?” Jack asked.

Penor hemmed and hawed, but finally nodded.

“You have shared information with me freely. Both about you, Jack, a person of ever-growing importance and about a secret of your notorious Class. A small one, yet worthy. In exchange, I will answer one question about each of your Classes. Not the |Jack| Class. For that we can barter later, for information and action both. But one for each of your current Classes, Brom and Ava.”

Information and action. So, he can work with the |Jack| Class.

“Mrk as well.” Ava said, while Jack thought. “He’s not here, but we’ll ask for him.”

“Of course.” The man smiled.

“Right. Uhm… Who wants to go first?” Jack asked.

“I have as question!” Ava exclaimed. “We have to tell you our Class, if we are to ask our question, right?”

“Naturally.”

“But, can’t we just use a normal Class instead?”

“Oh, so you have special Classes? Interesting. To answer your question… you could, but the answer would not be perfectly tailored to your Class.”

“But wouldn’t that be giving away free information?”

“It would be.” The man laughed. “Well spotted. You still receive only one question per Class.”

“Before I ask.” Brom spoke. “Is the |Royal Administrator| Class so involved with other Classes?”

The man’s eyes narrowed, before he seemed to figure something out and he smiled again.

“You believe my knowledge in Classes to not be directly derivative of my Class?”

“I do.” The dwarf honestly added.

“That is an astute deduction. True too. Yet, my Class made me work with many individuals possessing Classes, almost exclusively in fact, which raised my awareness of such facts. And yes, an |Administrator| Class does not necessarily deal only with other Classes. The Classes that do… I’ve only heard of them in legend. That being said, before I left, I could sometimes feel my Class transitioning into a more specific type of Class. One that would better reflect my inclinations. My Skills certainly reflect that. Very fine thinking. But still, only one question per Class.”

Bom nodded, while Larissa muttered.

“You all haggle like the lowliest drunks.”

“Let’s get to the questions.” Jack said, though he laughed as he said it. “Time’s short.”

“Brom, you can start.” Ava said. “I need to work my horns a little.”

“Vey well. Hmm. I am an |Axe Guardian|. If I wanted this Class to include more than one weapon, could I do it without obtaining a new Class?”

“Well… only if you were truly high Level. And even then, it’s something of a gamble. A |Guardian| denotes protection, so I believe you could master and gain Skills for a shield, even attack Skills. But if you want to master something like a sword? Or spear? You would need to gain a new Class and have the two merge in time. One final possibility would be you becoming a |Weaponmaster Guardian|. Yet if you ask this, I imagine you have a second Class?”

“I do.” Brom said.

“I see. Well, as long as have just three Classes, the possibility of becoming a |Jack| is minimal. Though that would also mean you may want to step toward being a |Warrior|, as it is more generalist, than it mastering just one more weapon. You could obtain a Class for a second weapon and merge it. Then repeat the process for a different weapon. But I can tell you from experience that as you each higher and higher Levels, the path up becomes slower and the chance of a merger rarer.”

“I see. In this case, about my second Class. I am also an |Oathkeeper|. Are there any conditions I must meet for my two Classes to merge?”

“… an |Oathkeeper|? I’m sorry, my friend, I’ve never heard of such a Class. I have heard of Classes steeped in concepts like honor or pride and I’m guessing your Class is something like it. As for how to merge them… Levelling is the clearest option. The only option that works for mostly everything, though on a long-term basis. If you wish this merge to happen before then… Understand that I am now speaking of what I think, now what I know. But I imagine the answer would lie either in keeping an ‘oath’, while guarding… or in guarding said oath. I am not sure what that would mean, but I imagine such a union would need a great even preceding it.”

Penor looked a little ashamed at not being able to give a direct answer, but Brom himself looked very happy with what he just learned. He nodded and thanked the man profusely, which seemed to bring his good nature back. Of course, Larissa looking at him in prideful awe probably also helped matters by quite a lot.

“My turn, right?” Ava asked. “Alright, I’ve thought of a question. So, I’m a |Selenic Archer|. And since… some things happened, I kind of already guessed what’s with the ‘selenic’ part. Now, I don’t want to merge any Classes, because I don’t have or want any other Classes, so my question is simple. I know how to level as an |Archer|. I’ve been doing it my whole life. But… uh, my Class had two parts. So, how exactly do I level the first part at the same time as the second?”

Penor simply stared at her for a good while, before answering as calmly as he could.

“I took a lot of pride in knowing about Classes. Before I met you all, that is. Now, though… I feel like an idiot. Selenic?! Just what is ‘selenic’?”

“Uhm. It has something to do with the moon.” Ava said, almost timidly.

“Something to do with the moon… No, you know what, I can work with that. I didn’t know about that, but it turns out I don’t know a lot of things. The moon… Good thinking, by the way. A specialized Class can be Leveled by its main part, ‘archer’ in this case, sure. But both parts of its name must be targeted, for maximum development.”

“Thanks!” Ava beamed. “I knew it was kind of like a bow.”

“A what now?”

“A bow? You know, a compound bow? You have to take care of both materials to get the best shots.”

The man was gaping like a fish. He looked like he was caught between being furious and ashamed. Jack decided not bursting out in laughter would be for the best.

“Yes. Good… deduction. Yes. Well, like before, I have heard of such concepts, though not of the exact Class. But |Fist of The Sun|, |Radiant Charger| and the like? Such Classes exist. Very rare, but information of them had reached my ears. As for how to train in, I give you two paths. Either train or fight at night, under the moon, going your hardest when the moon is full, or-“

“Or a crescent moon.” Ava said.

“What?”

“Uh… nothing. But fighting under a crescent moon would help too, right?”

By this point, Brom was nudging Jack under the table to keep him from laughing.

“I… suppose? My thinking is that the more there is of the moon itself in the sky, the more your training would… count? For lack of a better word. Then again, there is no such thing as a crescent sun, so what so I know?” Penor sullenly said.

“And the second path?” Ava eagerly asked.

The man huffed, but deigned to answer.

“Search and understand what the moon stands for. Purity, light, wonder, this I know of. No doubt there are more concepts tied to it. Learn them and try to nudge your thinking in their direction. Perhaps use arrows that light up the sky. Make it so that you fight for purity, not evil. I know this all sounds feeble, but yours is a very ethereal concept.”

“Hmm. I think I get it. And if the second part doesn’t work, I can always try the first one.” She grinned.

Penor must have tried to grin as well, but only managed a weak smile in return.

“Right.” Jack said. “I guess I’ll ask a question for Mrk, then.”

“Please tell me your friend is of a regular Class.” The man pleaded.

“Oh, no worries. He’s a regular |Rogue|.”

“|Rogue|. Not a |Spectral Death-defying Rogue|? Just a |Rogue|?”

“…yes?”

“Then I believe I can be of assistance.” The man tiredly smiled.

“Great. What I wanted to ask is… well, both Brom and Ava now have compound Classes. Would it be better for Mrk to Level as just a |Rogue|, if he can? Or are those type of Classes really that much better?”

“That’s actually two questions, if you think about it.” Penor smiled. “But since you’ve not given me such a strange dilemma and since the question is a rather interesting one, if largely academic at this point, I’ll allow it.”

Jack nodded. He knew he was pushing some limits, but had decided a little risk is acceptable for this kind of information.

“It should be said that compound Classes are not advanced Classes, per se. Compounds Classes either come from a merger of one or more Classes or come from a point in time where a merger could have happened, if the possibility existed. Such Classes are better thought of as specialist Classes. Those who pursue them keep a basic wide range of Skills, but specialize in a single subdomain. Hey are not advanced however, because generalists can become advanced too. It is harder for a general |Rogue| to transition into an advanced Class, since they would have to train up most areas pertaining to theor Class, but it is doable.”

“Advanced Class?” Jack asked.

“Think of it like this. A |Soldier| can fight only on the frontlines an become a |Spearhead Soldier|. Or he could specialize in evasive maneuvers, in which case he could become a |Elusive Soldier|. He could even just start carrying around a lot of armor, in which case his Class might change to reflect him as a an |Armored Soldier|. These are all specializations, independent of becoming a |Lieutenant| or |Colonel| or |General|. But, let’s say that this |Soldier| doesn’t lean towards a single field. He does them all. He fights on the front, dodges enemies left and right, while being armored to the neck. It’s just an example, but this kind of mindset and behavior is what leads one to becoming an |Experienced Soldier| or |Veteran Soldier|. Of course, his main Class could change as well. I only used |Soldier| to provide the example.”

That… was a lot of information.

Mrk will own me for getting this much out of him.

“So… sorry, but what would be better?”

“There is no direct answer to that question. Rather, the answer lies with your friend. Is it his great calling to be a |Rogue|? The only thing he would ever define himself as?”

Like Ava being an |Archer|.

“If so, then a specialization would be possible, but no a Class change. Is he even more of a purist? Then he will advance as a |Rogue| until his mindset changes. On the other hand, if his purpose is not withing a Class, but out in the world, then that mindset is better applied to changing his Class towards the path of least resistance. Even obtaining other Classes. Merging them. It all lies withing one’s own mindset. Figuring yourself out and then using that knowledge to shape yourself. That if the best advice I could give.”

“Thank you, Penor.” Jack honestly said. “This is a lot to take in. But I’ll do my best to remember every word you just said.”

“We all will.” Brom said, while Ava nodded.

“Oh, you charmers.” The man smiled, but he was clearly pleased.

“Now, I’m sorry to move straight to business, but we need to get to Mrk as soon as we can.” Jack said. “Are you alright to start the serious talk?”

The man let of a breath and his face turned from friendly amused to shrewd highborn.

“I am. Though I must say, my friends, you are not likely to afford my help. Not now, at the very least. The odds are not in your favor.”

“That’s funny, Penor.” Jack said. “Because the odds have never been in our favor.”

Fighting with words is just like every other fighting. Ugly. But I need to do it.

For Mrk.

“Yet here we stand.”

4