Chapter 2.8
49 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As was customary by now, Ava fucked up. Not in a big way, but just enough to make it annoying. She had underestimated the distance they had to travel to reach her friends’ farm. Or just forgot where exactly that was. Or maybe Ava did remember, but neglected to mention the actual distance so as to slightly annoy them. It was hard to tell, sine… Ava.

That was how they walked until the end of the day. The sunset had caught up with them while they were still walking on the road, though Ava had already promised that they had ‘just a little longer’ to go. They managed to fill their time by talking, however. After a little prodding, Ava opened up about her experience at the farm and the entire attack thing. And also about Yva herself.

“I would not have expected a Nocturnal to live around these parts.” Brom said.

“How come you know abut them?” Ava asked. “I had literally never heard about them before.”

“Hmmm. They’re not common, yes. But any race who dwells underground has some knowledge of them. In the deepest of places their Night lingers. And if one founds themselves too deep for too long, they can be offered the same trade that makes them a Nocturnal.”

“So, your home has Nocturnal dwarfs?” Jack asked.

“One can be a Nocturnal or a dwarf.” Brom said. “The transition makes one no longer a dwarf. That is why my own dwarfhold accept their decision, but asks them to leave if they make it. Though I have heard other dwarfholds accepts communities of them to live inside their mountains.”

“Huh. I wonder if Mrk knows about them to.” Ava said. “With the whole living in a warren thing and all.”

“Yeah. Probably.”

Every time he thought of Mrk, Jack felt a mental dagger impale itself in his brain.

I should be doing more.

Logically, he knew he couldn’t. He knew that he had to find out more about the region before he even had a chance of learning in which direction Mrk was taken. And visiting Ava’s friends was his best chance at obtaining this. But emotionally? Emotionally he was going mad.

“Is there anything wrong with them?” Jack asked Brom.

He could have asked Ava, but the satyr seemed to be smitten with the woman.

“No.” the dwarf slowly said, while stroking his beard. “Not exactly. Yet once the deal is made… they belong to a higher power then. They become both children and apostles of the Night. Their allegiance can no longer be assumed to first sit with the dwarfs. That is why some dwarfholds do not accept their presence.”

“I see.”

“Soooo ominous.” Ava drawled. “You’ll see, Yva is the nicest person ever. And incredibly beautiful.”

“I though you said she was married.” Jack said.

“She is. Why? Plan on making Lola jealous?” she grinned.

“Wh- Why would I make… You know what? I won’t even dignify that with an answer.”

Which didn’t actually matter to the satyr. She got her kicks and spend the rest of the trip grinning at him whenever he looked over. Thankfully, thy didn’t have to actually walk that long before she called out.

“Look, there it is! Told you we didn’t have far to go.”

“No, just half a day’s trip.” Jack said.

But he was interested as well. The property looked very much like a farm. House, shed, yard and field. The only thing not matching with Ava;s description was the fence encircling the property. It was not a full fence, taller than Jack himself was. He guessed after the last event, they felt the need for both more privacy and protection.

They reached the front gate by the time Ava started to holler.

“Ian! Yva! I’m back.”

Jack winced at the volume. It was an hour or two after sunset. Some people sleep at that hour.

IanYva!”

“Ava, maybe we should wait until morning?”

“What? And sleep in the grass while there’s a perfectly good shed right over there? Hold on.”

That being said, she took in a lung’s breath of air.

“Av-“

“IAN AND AVA! WAKE UP!”

Even Brom squinted his eyes at the volume of the shout. However, this time the satyr seemed to have been able to stir something up, as Jack heard movement and then a door open.

“Who’s there?” a man shouted. “I’m warning you, I have a weapon.”

“Yeah and I have two. Right on top of my head. It’s Ava!” the satyr laughed.

Silence followed for a few seconds, before shuffling steps were heard. Then the gate swung open and Jack saw a man slightly past his prime standing before them, looking at them in awe, before his eyes stopped on the satyr.

“As I live and breathe. Lass, you’ve come back.” He said, a smile appearing on his face. “I should have known it is you. Who else would make such a racket?”

“I accept your apology.” She mock-seriously said, before hugging the man. “I missed you, Ian. Yva too. Is she here?”

“I am.” A voice sounded.

Jack startled. Not only because of the sudden appearance, though that was surprising too, since the woman was standing one step behind her husband, yet had been unnoticed until then. No, the most surprising thing about her was… well, like Ava said. Her beauty. He even sensed Brom stiffen next to him. The woman had pale skin, but unnaturally so. Perfectly so. Her hair was night and so were her eyes. Eerie, yet so alluring.

And she also has a husband, so stop staring.

Jack smiled and tried to say hi, before he noticed Ava’s wicked grin. After the satyr hugged Yva as well, she presented them.

“Yva, Ian, I’d like you to meet my friends. This stout dwarf over here goes by the name of Brom. And this lovely young man is Jack. They’re my team. Because I’m an adventurer’s now. We’re Death’s Bane.” She grinned.

To her complete surprise and his and Brom’s sudden embarrassment, Ian and Yva’s reaction wasn’t what Ava probably though it would be. The couple just shared a look and instantly started laughing. Howling, about how their dear Ava was now a bane of death. Jack would own the fact that even though he was embarrassed as well, seeing the same sentiment reflected on the satyr’s face gave him a slight amount of satisfaction. It certainly ended Ava’s innuendos for the night.

The couple invited them into their house and served them dinner. Mostly cold cuts and a variety of cheeses, but those went well with fried eggs and potatoes. They talked while they dined. Of course, Ava had to regal them with her stories. From how she first arrived at the clearing, to how she befriended them. From the ogre, to the dungeon. From the battle, to the elf.

She did mention Moran and she did mention her connection to him. But she skipped over most details, seeming to wish to end the subject as fast as possible. Jack figured that even though she didn’t act like it, the wound was still open for Ava. Perhaps it will always be. Yet all the time she talked about him, Yva held her hand. Ian stood close to her.

She made good friends. Even with her cursed Class. Good.

Her story, helped along by Jack and Brom, finally reached present day. She told them about her mission. And about Mrk.

“So, you’re a |Jack|.” Ian said. “Never thought I’d see one.”

“Yes, sir. I hope that’s not a problem.”

“You’re a friend of Ava’s son, so just call me Ian. And no. Maybe some time ago, it would have been, but I’ve since learned that some stories are just that.” He said, looking lovingly at Yva. “Stories.”

“I’ve never met one with the Class myself.” She said. “Not among my people. But that is hardly surprising. Our Patron would not suffer us making such mistakes.”

“Right. Wished I had your Patron than.” Jack wistfully said.

Yva gave him a strange look, but said nothing but moved on to the second subject.

“Regarding your friend, I confess I do not know of any ratling warren in the area. Nor have I heard of any such sightings, of a ratling or an armored warrior. Have you, Ian.”

“No, love. Not a thing.”

“Damn it.” Jack muttered.

“Have ratlings ever been known to pass through these parts?” Brom asked. “And are there more roads than the one we used? I’m trying to understand where they might have traveled.”

“I see.” The man said. “I’ve heard of no ratlings… ever. And no, lad. No other roads. I suppose you could cut through the fields, but there’s nothing to cut through to. And the towns and villages around these parts are sparse, but not sparse enough an entire underground city could have been hiding in plain sight.”

“Hmm. I must mention that underground cities hide in plain sight all the time.” Brom said, alarming the man. “But not of ratling make. No… they would have signs of them around. I see.”

Back to square one. Jack though furiously. Their next step should be to see if there was someone else around that they could ask for signs of Mrk or the mouseling. Failing that, they should find a tracker. Perhaps one with a Class. If that wasn’t possible either, then a mage or an individual with a Class specialized in finding things. A… |Diviner| or… something else. But where would they even start to search for someone like that. Definitely a big city, but-

“Perhaps I can help.” Yva said, startling him. “Ava, do you remember our trick with the bottle?”

“Uhh… yeah. Yeah! Wait, of course. You can speak with him?!” Ava sad, jumping to her hooves.

“No.” the woman sadly smiled. “No unless he suddenly became one of my kin. I could use that trick with Ian, as he is my husband and the man I love. But even with our connection, I could never see him, only hear and speak to him. And even the distance to the nearest city was the most I could do. …but I might be able to do more.”

“How?” Jack asked.

“I… I will pray.”

“Pray?” Brom inquired.

“Yes. Is speaking to your God not prayer? What power I have, I have from it. And I know that others of my kind have attempted and succeeded at demonstrating what you would call miracles. Yet they have done that not through any means of their own, but through power imparted onto them.”

“And that’s alright, love?” Ian asked. “You… you never prayed to it before. Not while I’ve known you.”

“I admit, it is not something we usually do. Not unless we are a priest of it. Our God is one of night and deals, not one of nurturing. It does not require our praise and does not grant its power often. But I know it to be possible. And for you, I will try.”

“Thank you, Yva.” Ava said, hugging her again. “Really. Thank you!”

“On behalf of our team, I thank you.”

“You have no idea how much this means to us.” Jack said. “Thank you!”

The woman simply smiled and nodded.

***

The next day the woke up feeling slightly better. Sure, they slept on hay stacks and in a barn rather than in a house, but Jack was used to much worse. And the feeing that they had a chance at finding Mrk… it was doing something for their morale. They woke up and found that Ian had woken up before them. By a good couple of hours.

It seemed that for Yva to contact her patron God, she would need to spend the day n silent prayer. Which is why she would only attempt at making contact after nightfall. Given that she was a Nocturnal… that made sense to Jack.

And so, they’ve spent the day helping Ian around the yard. The man was hardworking and had a number of things to do at any given times. Which was probably why the man had an actual Class as a |Farmer|. A Level 9 |Farmer|, to be precise.

“That is good.” Brm said. “You are one Level away from a precious Skill. Or at least several useful ones.”

“Might be. I just hope I catch it soon. I’m growing old and the time to make an actual living is getting shorter by the day.”

“Actual living?” Jack asked. “I have to say, Ian, I like it here. You have a house and a barn. An entire farm.”

“Might be, lad.” The man laughed. “But tell me this. Back in Helmrest, do you know of any |Farmer|?”

“Uhm, not personally. But I think Elia mentioned a few exists. None as high-Level as you, though.”

“Mhm. And of those that don’t have a Class, do you think they have a house too? Maybe a barn to go alng with it?”

“…yeah. Yeah, they do. I see what you mean. Out here, you have to work more just to get the same things a normal farmer gets.”

“Then, why not move to the nearest city?” Brom asked.

“Ha! Helmrest might do fine by its townspeople, but not all towns are like that. No, usually the merchants are treated good and the craftspeople. Farmers are expandable, even those with a Class. And I have to admit, working out here? It’s harder. It made me Level up more often. But… yea”. He sighed. “Reckon I might have to move soon anyway.”

“To make more coin?”

“Yes. Normally, at I’d day damn the coin. But… well, Yva and I are trying.”

“Trying… what?” Jack asked.

Ian fixed with a stern stare, before realizing Jack had no idea what he meant.

“We’re trying to have a child, lad.” The man said, somewhat amused.

“Oh.”

“Yes. And a child is not easy to bring up, even inside a city. Out here… There’s always at least some danger. And I want to bring up my child with things I didn’t have growing up. A school. Education. Townspeople or citizen, not villagers. I’ll make sure he or she won’t grow up to be a spoiled brat, no worries about that. But still… I want more for my child then what is available here.”

“I can understand that.”

Ian smiled and, moment over, they got back to work. That born door wouldn’t fix itself. Soon after that, Ava returned with a couple of rabbits she had hunted, looking mighty proud of herself. A stew later, concocted more by Jack and Brom, since Ava and Ian seemed to lack the talent for cooking and they were all sitting around, pleasantly full.

The sun had almost gone down outside. A full day of work followed by a pleasant meal was something Jack could learn to love. He certainly felt content, at that moment, even with all the pressure still on his shoulders. Yet, he understood Ian’s wish. To work so hard, only to achieve what everybody else achieves… And the need to pass on a greater life to the next generation.

Yet, Jack was pulled out of his thoughts by Yva entering the room.

“Yva!” Ian shouted, standing up and going by her side in an instant.

Jack and the others were shocked as well. And it wasn’t by how the Nocturnal was dressed. Yes, she was dressed in a quite thin tunic and yes, the woman was displaying much more of her body than both her and Ian were probably comfortable with. Or Ava. No, what was shocking were the two twin trails of black ichor coloring her cheeks, draping down from her eyes and staining her tunic.

It looked as if the woman had been crying tears of black paint. She looked disheveled too, her hair being matted with sweat. She was also slightly swaying on her feet.

“Oh…” she said, her hand touching her cheek and coming away wet with the ichor. “My apologies, I did not mean to disturb you. This… this isn’t something to be worried off. Simply a byproduct.”

“Are you alright, love? Come, sit down.”

Ian sat her down on a chair, even though the woman blushed and told him to stop worrying. He draped a coat over her, protecting her modesty, though the woman seemed to be more amused by the act than concerned of her look.

“Honestly, Ian, I’m fine. It was my God who I was praying to. It wouldn’t hurt its children.”

“You mentioned that substance as being a byproduct.” Brom mentioned. “May I ask, it is a byproduct of what?”

“Of my prayer being answered.” The woman smiled. “I managed to talk with it. With the Night.”

She seemed… happy. Relieved.

“I am not one to hold much open faith. I never was. You see, I feared my prayer might not be answered. But it was. And… Ian, it told me something. I am with child.” She smiled.

“Wh- what?” he asked, voice straining.

In response she just smiled and took his hand, placing it on her belly.

“We are to have a son.”

The man looked stricken, but only for a second. The very next one he grinned the grin of a madman and kissed his wife.

“Way to go guys!” Ava laughed, hugging them both.

Guess they’re moving out sooner than he thought.

Jack congratulated them as well, as did Brom. The man himself was accepting all praise and hugging his wife fiercely. He was delirious, looking around for a bottle to toast, when Yva stopped him.

“Not yet, Ian. There is still more to do.” She said, before turning to them. “I have not forgotten why I prayed in the first place. I asked the Night for your friend. But… it mentioned that it would speak directly to you, Jack.”

“Me? Why?”

“I do not know. The Night only speaks to those not of my kin when an offer is made. Other then that…”

“Then that’s it?” Jack asked, suspiciously. “For it to find Mrk, I need to become a Nocturnal?”

“No.” the woman smiled. “Such a deal would not speak of faith. And the Night is not cruel, though many think it so. No, I do not believe it would ask for that. Yet… I do not know why it wished to speak with you.”

Jack nodded. He saw no reason to distrust Yva. Yet speaking to an actual God.

I seriously can’t tell if this is better or worse than dealing with Rosa.

“I’ll do it. For Mrk.”

“Do not fear.” She nodded. “My God is the patron of those who are lost or aimless. It anything can find your friend, it is it.”

She stood up, and led him to another room. A circle had been painted in the ground, and in the middle of it a circular puddle was placed. Jack realized the puddle was made of the same ichor which had stained Yva’s cheeks.

“I will leave you. This conversation of just for you. Stand or sit in that circle and be silent. The Night will find you.” She said, before leaving the room.

Jack stepped over and decided to stand over the circle. It had solidified, he noticed. It felt like resin to his shoes. He stood like that for what felt like minutes, before, he noticed that the already dark room was now completely dark. There was no speck of light. No sound.

How… how could it get like this without me noticing?

“You see darkness and think it a trick. But this is no trick, child. Simply my presence.” A voice spoke, words drifting like cold smoke.

“Uhm, hi.” Jack said, not really knowing how to behave. “Yva mentioned you wanted to see me.”

See you.” The voice repeated. “Smell you. Taste you. Touch…”

Jack felt something like hands drifting over his chest and shoulders and shuddered. This… this was really not how he expected a God to be like. But what did he know?

“You fear, yet you stand your ground. Brave. Desperate too. But I believe we should dispense with the act.”

Suddenly, there was a woman standing before him. It was still completely dark… wherever they were. But he could see her. Her skin was white and her eyes were black. Her hair…. Her hair was as dark as the darkness surrounding him. Jack could only guess where it was because of the strands flying over her face. And just like Yva, she was beautiful. Only impossibly so. It was the same effect like the elf, only magnified by a rate of hundreds. Jack was incredibly grateful was the fact that this being was somewhat covered by twisting strands of darkness. If it were to have had the same idea about modesty like Rosa… Well. He was just grateful.

“You look at me and feel fear.” Night said, sounding amused. “Yet also… lust? Lust and thankfulness, for not feeling more lust. What an interesting one you are.”

“My apologies.” Jack said. “I… don’t really know how to behave when speaking with a God.”

“No. I imagine you do not. Yet you spoke with others of power. That daughter of the wilds, for example.”

“Rosa?”

“If that is what she told you to use as her name. It is interesting. You carry a fate above you, child. This s what she saw. Has he told you what she… no. No, I imagine not. And you have a cursed Class.” She said, sniffing. “Such a burden, that is.”

“My Class.” Jack said. “I’m a |Jack|. Could you remove it?”

The woman eyes him sternly.

“You have that Class for a reason.”

“But, look-“

“I see your life story, child. I do not need it explained. And… I will only say this. What happened to you was unfair. Yet to tamer with your Class would be to tamper with the Class itself.”

“So, you can’t remove it?”

“I can. Give yourself onto me and I will. Be mine for eternity and let me devour you and I will.” She said, smiling and Jack felt his heart both shrink in fear and grow in odd excitement.

He opened his mouth, but no words came out. He couldn’t say yes. By why did he want to?

“You are an interesting one.” She laughed. “Forgive me, child, I do not usually play such games. Yet I don’t usually find mortals I like enough to play games with. No, I will not remove your Class. I could… but, no. And I will not accept you becoming a Nocturnal either. Not for this. I jest, but I do not mock. And I will not have you sacrifice what you are, for that. Though… I see the shadow of your life child. It may be that I do not have to.”

“You mean you can see that I’ll lose the Class?” Jack asked.

“Perhaps.” She smiled.

She was toying with him. Jack had to admit to himself he had neve felt much attraction. Some to Lola, if he was being honest to himself. Very little to Ava and only when he first met her. A bit for Yva, but that was mostly physical. Yet for her… it beat against his heart like a living drum.

No idea if this is natural or induced, but… No. I’m not here for that.

“Then I guess I’ll find out on my own. But, I’m here for something else.”

“Yes. I know. My child told me. You wish to find your friend.”

“Yva told us she could speak to others like her through shadows. To her husband too. I wanted to ask if I can receive this gift as well. So as to speak to my friend and find where he has been taken.”

“I know. I can give that to you, but not for free. An exchange most take place.”

He knew this would happen. It couldn’t have been a gift, since he wasn’t a Nocturnal. This was a barter. He nodded and prepared himself for the ask.

“My child came to be before you. Pleading for you. But I saw something else. I saw her child. Another child of the dark, about to be brought to this life. With a human, no less. Understand, child, my children are distrusted. And for a Nocturnal to bring another Nocturnal to life while partnered with a human… that is rare. This new life might bring better understanding for my children. Acceptance. And so, I want it protected.”

She said that, with a serious air about her, nothing playful. Yet Jack thought he saw something more at work. Perhaps it was his experience dealing with dryads and elves, perhaps it was just him.

“But you also love your children. It’s good for the Nocturnal’s reputation, I understand that. But you also want this because you love your children.”

She looked almost surprised, standing still for a second, before she smiled widely. She came before him, laying a hand on his chest.

“Courage and insight both. Empathy. Do you now know, Jack, that what night desires most is something to fill it? A fire, light and warmth. Do not speak such sweet things do me again, Jack, lest you pick my interest more than you could handle. At least,” she grinned “at this point in your life.”

There was something maddening about her grin. It was predatory, yes, but also… Well. It just goes to day that Jack had a very hard time restraining himself. Yet the goddess waked back a step and he felt he could breathe again.

“I will give you an artifact. It will allow communication with anyone you wish, for a few minutes, but only once per day. You may wear it in the open, but it will only be able to be used at night. The night itself will recharge it. Or darkness. The one you speak to must also be surrounded by at least some shadows or darkness. My gift will function for as long as Yva or her descendants are safe. If she or her bloodlines perishes, my artifact will cease to function. You will keep her safe or find safety for her. That is my offer. Do you accept?”

“I do.” Jack said. “On my honor, I promise to keep her and her child safe.”

“Good.” She said and took a strand of her hair in hand, severing it.

When she opened her hand again, a black pearl was there, the size of her thumb. It seemed to be made of as much darkness as her hair, absorbing the light around it. She gave it to him and it felt cool to his touch.

“The deal is done.”

“Thank you, Goddess of Night. I hope you feel the truth in my words when I say that I am grateful for having the chance of meeting you. I hope someday we will meet again.” He said and smiled honestly.

“Oh, we will. This I see.” She said, before stepping forward again. Yet what did I tell you about speaking of sweet things to me?” she laughed.

Shit.

“That gift was for the deal. And this is for you.” She said, kissing him.

“|Gift of the Night|”

***

Jack stumbled out of the room, feeling woozy. That… that wasn’t nearly the same as the one from Rosa. He felt like parts of his being were on fire, while others were frozen solid. Yet, he got what he came for. And more.

But I can’t think about the ‘more’ part, unless I lose my mind.

“It’s done” Jack said, entering the room. “I got what we need.”

They froze. They were staring at him, with various reactions. Brom was just wide-eyed, while Ian looked odd. Yva looked impressed, while Ava was grinning. Ava was grinning. Never a good sign.

“What?”

“Nothing.” She said. “So, you met a god of Night. Was she a woman, by any chance?”

“Uhm… yes. Why?”

“And was she nice?” she pressed.

“I… guess. Hard to describe. Why do you ask?”

“Oh, it’s nothing, just that your lips are black and you have kiss marks on your cheeks you NAUGHTY DOG!”

Oh man.

4