Chapter 2.10
47 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nole was good on his word. They had arrived in Helmrest before the sun had even fully set. The welcoming committee was composed of Lola, Elia and, oddly enough, Penor himself. The man looked abashed, but grateful for the second chance that he had been offered. It looked like everyone had something to discuss with everyone else, but they had to do thigs in order.

Jack told Elia about Ian and Yva and gave her shortened version of the events that led to the couple relocating to Helmrest. He didn’t know but wasn’t surprised to find out that Elia actually had a procedure laid out for individuals with Classes relocating to Helmrest. She welcomed the couple and had Pickle lead Ian to choose one of the newly built houses in which they would now live. Yva stayed behind to talk some more with the |Mayor|.

She seemed intrigued, but also grateful about Elia and the others not caring to much about her race. Did they stare? They did. But Jack privately thought that was more because of Yva’s natural beauty than her race. Yet, this they spook? No, they didn’t and that seemed to please the Nocturnal. She discussed employment opportunities and obtained a promise of housing and worth from Elia, more for Ian than herself, before lapsing into a quick chat about the small nothings going on in the town. The two women smilingly promised to each other to have a chat in the days to come, before Elia asked Lola to escort Yva to her new house, supposing Ian had managed to pick one that fast and wasn’t still picking Pickle’s brains over every little detail.

Lola had spent that time talking with the group, though having had his talk with Brom, Jack now felt a little self-conscious every time Lola addressed him directly. It was probably a passable thing, but he couldn’t help but notice how Lola seemed to smile more when she addressed him, than she did with either Brom or Ava. It was good they had that talk, he knew that, but he wasn’t sure if all its effects had tended more towards a blessing than a curse.

Yet, the young woman walked away with Yva and Elia was left to face the trio, Penor in tow.

“We’ll get Mrk back. Even if I have to build and army from scratch. We’ll get him back, I promise you that.” She said, orange eyes burning.

That put a smile on Jack’s face. It seems like for all the things that happened, he wasn’t the only one to keep his eyes locked on the prize.

“Thank you, Elia.” He said, the others nodding.

“Before we get to business, I just want to say ‘thank you’ again. To all of you, but to you Jack in particular.” Penor said, stepping ahead. “Without your blessing I would have still been on the run. Yet, after Nole vouched for us, Mayor Elia has kindly offered me and Larissa a home. A better one than we deserved. And I am even to help her run Helmrest.”

“Wow, that fast?” Ava asked.

“Spill out what you mean.” Elia laughed. “I can already see Brom trying to mutter a warning, but failing to do so.”

“I did not want to seem abrupt or insulting, yet…”

“Yet I have lied.” Penor said, smiling sadly. “And couldn’t be assumed to be completely trustworthy. I understand my friends, do not feel ashamed of thinking it.”

“And this lack of trust has been alleviated?” Brom cautiously asked.

Elia nodded and Jack had a thought.

“You used the Blood Contract?” he asked, somewhat shocked.

“No.” the woman laughed. “That’s a little too much. No, I just used a few truth Scrolls I had purchased. And signed a magical contract with Penor, but nothing that punitive.”

“Indeed.” the man said. “For the chance of helping a new people grow and for having a purpose, I was willing to sign even a magical contract. I did so with a smile on my face. And Mayor Elia has been gracious enough to help Larissa as well. A new tavern is currently being built, one to her liking.”

“I’m glad to hear that.” Jack said. “But how will you help Elia? I mean… your Class isn’t really geared towards administrating, right?”

“No.” the man laughed. “But I can be a really good copy.”

“And since I have to be in multiple places at once…” Elia said. “Well. Let’s just say you’ll better make sure it’s really me that you’re speaking to, from now on.” She said, grinning like a loon.

“Creepy…” Ava muttered.

“Maybe.” The woman said. “But I can finally sleep. That makes it alright in my book. Now, about Mrk.”

Her last sentence sent a current of tension through the group.

“Yeah, we should talk you through-“

“No need. I heard what you said. |Split Attention|. I’m sure there’re more details to the story, but I’ve got the gist of it. One question. Does your artifact allow only one conversation per day, or one per person, per day?”

“Per person.” Jack answered.

“The only variability we have managed to discover is the length of time one can talk. It varies by distance, as far as we can tell.” Brom clarified.

“Alright. I’ve already thought of a few things while you were coming. We can discuss most of them tomorrow, since I can see you are all but dead on your feet. But there is one thing we need to see through tonight.”

“Elia, we kind of wanted to already be going by tomorrow. We didn’t come here to stay. Jack said.”

The woman shared a quick look with Penor before answering him.

“Jack. I know you want Mrk back. I do to. But from what I understand, your foe is entire leagues above you. Even without that, you might need to go against an entire ratling warren. There’s no brute forcing this. And unlike with Amenor, Levels won’t save you this time. You need a strategy. We don’t need to talk for long, but we will need to talk.”

Jack could understand that. He didn’t like it, but he understood. He shared a look of his own with Brom and Ava and saw them agreeing. Ava more reluctantly, but if even she agreed…

“Alright. We’ll talk tomorrow. What was it that you wanted to talk about tonight, though?”

“We need to talk about how you’re going to go about this. Me and Penor discussed things… we think it might be best for you three to go alone. We can have the Town Watch come with you, as back up. Even one of the walking trees. But we don’t think strength would be the better option here.”

“You’re thinking we should go for stealth.” Jack said.

“Yes.” The woman said, sounding relieved. “You think the same?”

“We haven’t discussed how we’d go about doing this.” He said. “But it makes the most amount of sense. Stealth’s not really our style, but we’re going to have to learn.”

“I admit I’m mostly at fault for it not being out style.” Ava winced.

“It’s a rescue. We’ll have to adapt.” Jack concluded.

“Plus.” Brom added. “Nole can carry us three. He wouldn’t be able to carry a small group.”

“Good.” Elia smiled. “I had part of the Town Watch on standby just in case, but good. We thought this was thee better way to, but ultimately, it was your call.”

They retired soon after that, promising to talk the next morning. Nole was even kind enough to drive them to their clearing, on the new path, though the man looked as tired as they were. It was as he sat in bed, hearing his two friends snooze away that Jack most sorely missed Mrk. Theirs was a house that used to have four. Not it had three.

***

They reached Elia’s office before the sun had even completely dawned. None of them had been able to sleep for too long. So, they checked on their armor, checked on their gear and went ahead to Helmrest. Thankfully, the woman was already up and working. Thinking of what she had said a day before, Jack was wondering of a way to ask her if she truly was… her. But the woman must have guessed his thought, because she smiled.

“No need to worry yet. I’m still easing Penor in into an early-riser type of schedule. But for the moment, there’s no chance I’m getting him to wake up as early as me.”

“Lucky us, then. So, what did you want to talk about?” Jack asked.

“Straight to the point. I missed that.” She smiled. “Well, as you three decided not to take a large group with you, I figured we’ll go with quality instead of quantity. I’ve delayed an order of mushroom powder and had them manufactured into weapons.”

“Arrows?” Ava greedily asked.

“Yes, but not only.” Elia nodded. “We have normal spheres too, to be used at will. Jack, I’ve procured a wand of |Fire Bolt| for you. It’s weak, but since you only need it to ignite the powder, it should be good. You still have your acid one, right?”

“I do.”

“Good. Other than that, I’ve had procured more potions for all of you, Health and Stamina. Mana Potions for Jack. And I’ve refined a few vials of Embercap oil. It could be used as an irritant on weapons or to set them on fire. We’re almost there with the green mushrooms too, but not yet.”

“Thank you, Elia.” Jack said. “I’ve never used two wands before, but I think I’ll manage.”

“The Potions will be very good as well.” Brom said. “It will allow us to take more risks.”

“Not unnecessarily so, I hope.” The woman warned. “I want Mrk back, but I don’t want to lose any of you three. You will keep the coins I have you for Penor. Perhaps a bribe here or there will be necessary.”

“I like your thinking, Elia.” Ava grinned, making her shrug.

“I dislike corruption, but I can’t pretend it doesn’t exist. Now, I’ve already talked with Nole and he agreed to take you there. We plotted a route, going by both road and field and we found out we can have you in the warren’s general location in four days, if you leave today at noon. You’ll be camping under the open sky for the first two nights, but I don’t believe that to be an issue.”

“Nope.” Jack shrugged. “I’m used to it. And I don’t think Ava or Brom have a problem either.”

“None from me.”

“Nor I.”

“Good. The last night you will spend in a local village. Try and obtain information there. They might know the warren’s location, they might now. I’m sure Mrk will help you either way, but the more information the better. Now, I only have two things left to discuss. One is this. For a length of your trip, you will be skirting very close to Amenor’s territory. It’s at the very edge of it, but I believe you three have already been declared enemies of the kingdom. Some general or other person of importance might have Skills that could announce them of your presence.”

“Such Skills exists?” Brom asked, intrigued.

“They’re rare, high-Level and only usually come for specialized Classes. But yes. They exist.”

“I see.”

“We’ll be careful, Elia. Thanks for finding this out for us.”

The woman nodded, but spoke again without pause.

“And that leads me to my second point. After you speak with Mrk today, tell him you will only speak to him again in in two days, not one. I need you to use your conversation with me.”

“But… why?” Jack asked.

“Mrk needs to hear from us.”

“No, Jack. As much as it pains me to say this, he doesn’t. It helps him, but he doesn’t need it. I don’t either, but… you might.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, you might need to contact us. I’ve thought about it and… you all are taking greater and greater risks. I can’t do much, but Helmrest does have some economic and political influence nowadays, if mostly through our allies. As well as a small fighting force. If worse comes to worst, I can send help. It will not be much, but at least now we have help to send. That is why I’m asking you to talk to Mrk. Tell him that some days you might not speak to him. Because and I’m serious here, Jack, if there is something wrong, if you are being chased, if you need help, even of a strategical nature, Helmrest is here to help. I’m here to help.”

“You’re thinking of using the Night artifact the same way large kingdoms use communication Spells.”

“Or |Message| Scrolls.” The woman nodded. “Granted, me and Penor aren’t exactly |War Councilors|, but we can help. That is why I’m asking you to make a judgement call. Every day. If nothing new happens, that’s alright. Talk with Mrk. Our friend needs it. But if new information comes up or of there is help you need, I ask you to reach out to us. It’s a tough call to make, to balance reason with empathy… and a new burden I’m placing on your shoulders, Jack. But I have to. I’m sorry…”

“No.” he said, giving her a smile. “I understand what you mean. And I get it. I will, Elia. If nothing new happens, I’ll talk to Mrk. But if something comes up, I’ll reach out to you.”

“No matter the hour. I’ll always be here.”

“Yes, Elia. I know you don’t sleep.”

That made her burst out in laughter, even though there were tears in her eyes by the time she was done. Jack was gracious enough to pretend he didn’t see that.

They packed up and were ready to leave within the hour. It was funny to see that Elia was paranoid enough to arm even Nole with a shortsword and a bow, though the man confessed he had no idea how to use said weapons, much less while the carriage was moving. They said their goodbyes, Lola and the others coming to see them off. She even gave Jack a peck on the check, which again made Jack feel self-conscious.

Maybe that’s something I need to talk to her about.

Still, it was a nice farewell. Larissa was one huge grin of a woman, confessing that she couldn’t be happier not only to have her own tavern, but one built exactly to her liking. Pickle and Penor seemed to be slightly at odds, though. Perhaps Pickle was jealous of the other man coming in on his domain and rising so quickly.

But these were all details. He’d worry about it once he got back. And once he got Mrk back.

They first day of traveling was short, since it was only half of it. He spent the day talking with Brom and Ava, trying to come up with a rescue strategy. After their daily talk with Mrk, they managed to get a rough description of a rating warren, though Mrk himself didn’t know if the exact tunnels he remembered were in place.

From their friend mentioned, a ratling warren was unlike a dwarfhold, even though both settlements could be found underground. Dwarves tended to build around a main focus, like a hall or a cavern. That focus could be at the center of the settlement, above it or below it. Rarely, even the deeper most in. But there was a general structure to dwarven constructions. Their rooms and halls were connected by grand hallways, chiseled out of large tunnels, for all they were diminutive in nature. Seen from inside, Brom said, a dwarfhold looked much like a palace, albeit without windows.

Yet a warren was apparently quite cramped. Some of them had a grand room, but it was only central by happenstance. Most didn’t, instead having rooms of different sized connected by tunnels of different girths. Though they tended to be on the cramped side of things. Tall enough that a human could walk through, Mrk assured them… mostly. But never grand. They also didn’t have a general shape. They weren’t built spherically or continually deeper. Warrens usually expanded towards newly found resources or according to needs. Need new rooms, for new ratlings? Find a good spot and dig. Found ore? Dig towards it. Found an underground river? Either block it off or dig. Which made their settlements pretty haphazard, enough so that Mrk confessed great warrens had ratlings in high positions that sometimes even gained a Class, like |Navigator| or |Warren Expert|.

That made their plan all the more difficult. It meant that the ratlings who had lived there all their lives would know the terrain, but they would be at a disadvantage in even learning it. Once again, Jack was dismayed at being a |Jack|, since his |Pathfinder| Class would have been a real treasure. They discussed abducting a ratling and using them as a source of information, but that would go against their entire stealthy approach. What they did decide was that they would move as fast through the tunnels as possible. If thy encountered ratlings, they would knock them out. Their focus would be on speed, not on covering their tracks. Other than battle tactics, they left the final strategy to be decided after they found more information.

At least, I hope we’ll find something more.

That was the thought rumbling around in Jack’s head while he slept under the open sky. That he’d find something more. That he wouldn’t do in unprepared. That he’d get Mrk back.

The second day Jack spend trying to refine his repertoire. He remembered a time, when he rode a much simpler carriage and was taught by Aule. How he tried to learn magic then, to have another tool in his belt, next to his Skills. Now it was his only tool. He trained it daily, but new Spells only developed in time. Still, he did try his new |Wind Orb| Spell. It was by far his most powerful, but also his most mana expensive. The Spell was powerful enough to blast holes in the dirt road or rip branches of trees. He guessed if he used it against someone else, it might cause lacerations to appear, beside the blunt trauma. Against an armored foe…

If I’m lucky, it will be enough to blast that mooseling back. But it’s still not enough.

He didn’t train with it for long, though. He remembered the side-effect of using too much magic and wanted nothing to do with it again. Instead, he switched to other Spells. |Tripping Vine| and |Blast|. It was something of a coordination game to try and have his first Spell snag the spokes on the carriage’s wheels.

He did this on and off for an entire day, between brakes in which he talked with his two companions. Only Ava trained with him, the dwarf not being the type to fight anywhere else but close distances. The satyr herself mainly used her |Light Arrow| trick, trying to make it manifest faster than before.

The last thing Jack tried to train was getting a feel for the magic his wand let off when he cast |Fire Bolt|. It was a slow type of Spell and an ungainly one, but he couldn’t deny the benefits. Yet, try as he might, he didn’t feel anything other than… magic.

“It might not be as easy as you, think, Jack.” The dwarf said, watching him.

“What do you mean?”

“You are trying to mimic the wand magic, correct?”

“Yeah. Figured I’d try to learn it as a Spell.”

“I thought as much. I am not an expert, but-“

“But I am much learned in the wisdom of dwarfs.” Ava said, in a low tone, mimicking Brom. “Fear me and my big head.”

“…but I know that an artifact doesn’t give of the same magic as a mage, even when casting the same Spell. That being said, mages usually have Skills to help them learn new Spells by witnessing them.”

“I still have to try, Brom. It’s not like I have another teacher and I there’s no other way for me to train.”

“I know, Jack.” The dwarf kindly said. “I am simply telling you to not be overtly upset if it you do not learn a new Spell quickly.”

“I know, Brom.” Jack sighed. “Trust me, I know the days when I picked something up at miracle speeds are behind me. And yet, I must try.”

“And yet, you must be dramatic.” Ava quipped.

He had to admit, it was hard being somber around her.

Yet, like Brom said, a new Spell didn’t come to him that day, He used the wand until it ran out of magic for the time being, but nothing. He thought he felt something at the very end, a kind of… flickering feeling, but too little of it for him to get a grasp of the Spell’s inner workings.

Try and try again.

The second night Jack dreamed. He dreamed of a voice guiding him, a voice he thought he heard before, that he though was benevolent towards him. But he couldn’t place it. Couldn’t tell anything about it. Yet it seemed to care for him. He couldn’t remember what they talked about, only that the voice sounded worried and… distant.

When he woke up the only sound he heard was Ava snoring.

Figures.

He trained on the third day very much like he trained on the second. Only two main differences. One was that he tried the acid wand instead of the other wand, though Brom did warn him that trying to learn an elemental Spell like fire was much easier than trying to learn one like acid. Ava countered Brom by asking him why fire was an element and acid wasn’t. The dwarf either didnlt have an answer or just gave up after hearing that.

The second difference was that Jack used the carriage roof to try and learn some axe fighting techniques from Brom. Not sparring, more seeing and doing. Still, the dwarf was an |Axe Guardian|. There was something to learn even in mimicking him.

They did have a good piece of news that day. Nole found out that a swamp that him and Elia thought was unpassable was actually dried than hey thought. Enough so that they managed to pass through it and reach their targeted village well before sundown. They still had a few hours of sunlight left. Perfect for them to hit the local alehouse and find out anything of worth.

Except, the village didn’t have one, they noticed as they drove in.

“Nole, what’s this village called?” Jack asked.

“I don’t know, sir. Mayor Elia hasn’t been able to find out. It doesn’t look… large enough to be known, sir.”

“If you mean it looks like a shithole, Nole, just say it.” Ava said. “I was thinking the same thing.”

Not to throw stones or anything, but the village really did look shabby. No, not shabby. Dirty. It didn’t even have streets until the very center, the houses just sprouting up all over the place. If there was a well, a few houses were centered around it. If there was a patch of trees, houses were centered around that too. Some seemed centered around nothing, though Jack thought they must have been some time ago, only for the object of their interest to be long gone.

They reached the village center only for them to find something that really didn’t fit with the picture. It was a grand house, almost a manor. It was clean and circled by a well-kept stone and wooden plank fence. The manor had two stories, but large glass windows offered a view of simple linen curtains, but that was something in and of itself to even have curtains in a village like this.

Compared to the often dirty and in need of repair houses in the village, this manor looked like someone just plucked a house from a city and placed it here. Yet, they had no time to gaze further, as their entrance drew a small crowd around them.

“Hello there.” A man in his early thirties said. “Fancy carriage you have there. You lot are merchants?”

“Adventurers.” Ava called out, walking out of the carriage.

That made the man flinch. When Brom walked out too, the crowd drew back. Jack guessed they’ve never seen adventurers before. Or other species, for that matter.

“We’re Death’s Bane.” He said. “Don’t mind the name, it’s only for our foes. We’re on our way to a mission. Is there anywhere in we can find accommodations in…”

“Pok.” A woman helpfully supplied.

Pok. Fitting name for this village.

“In Pok.” Jack smiled. “A tavern perhaps?”

“We don’t have a tavern, sir.” The man said. “Our village’s rather poor. But our Village Head can host you. I’m sure he’d to have guests of such high repute. Uh… he isn’t home right now. But I’ll go ask for call for him.”

“Is he far?” Brom asked.

“Uh… no, sir. Just… just using the bathhouse.”

They don’t have a tavern, but they have a bathhouse. Guess that’s respectable.

“Right. Well, we’d love to meet him too.” Jack smiled.

“Might I ask for your names, sir?”

“Sure. This is Brom and Ava and I’m Jack. Don’t mind the name, it’s just a poor joke.” He said, repeating the same old text.

The man did widen his eyes, but he was used to that reaction. Always good for a good laugh, his name. The man hurried off, while a couple others stepped forwards to help them with their carriage and baggage.

“Pock, huh?” Ava said quietly. “We could have ended up somewhere better.”

“We are not on this trip for luxury. …though the state of this village is troubling.” Brom confessed.

“Oh, cheer up you two.” Jack said. “We’ve slept under the open sky. How bad could it be?”

3