5-Naya
117 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three days had passed since Leo had arrived at this new world. He had managed to learn much more about himself and the strange villagers. First, he did not need to sleep nor eat to sustain himself. 

And so, he spent every waking moment observing and learning. The strangest thing he noticed was the lack of any elderly people. The village was full of young men and women who all looked to be in their twenties.

Leo only managed to spot two young children, a little girl who appeared to be seven or eight and a little boy who looked to be around the same age. 

From his observation in the past days, the villagers all seemed to dote dearly on the children as if they were their own. The mood was harmonious between everyone, and he had yet to witness any fights unfold in the village.

The next thing Leo took note of was the cattle. The villagers raised, chickens, cows, and sheep. Yet the baffling thing was that they didn't die! Yes, no matter what the villagers did, the animals simply wouldn't die, they would just regenerate. 

That and water from the river seemed to serve as their food source. Leo's curiosity peaked. A village filled with young people, no signs of children except two, and animals that wouldn't die.

"What is going on?" He muttered. 

His entire situation seemed to be turning stranger by the second. It was then that the little girl sneaked out from her home avoiding the adults and into the woods where Leo was hiding. 

Keeping his distance, he watched as the little child trotted merrily in the woods without a care in the world, she continued until she reached a particular tree and laid down under its shade. 

Looking at her from a distance, her little flame was not burning as brightly as that of the adults yet, quite the opposite, it seemed as if on the verge of being extinguished, nonetheless she looked completely healthy. 

Intrigued, Leo moved closer. The strong pull he was feeling towards the other villagers was surprisingly missing when he faced this young child, which only served to confuse him even further. 

As if sensing something was amiss, the young girl sat up and turned to face the general direction where Leo was at causing him to momentarily pause. 

He was still a distance away, with several trees and vegetation between them, which served to obstruct her view, yet he was able to clearly see her.

"Who's there?" She asked in a childish bubbly voice. 

She did not see Leo, yet could somehow feel him. He contemplated for a while on how to present himself. His appearance was after all not very pleasant, to say the least.

While musing over such thoughts, the little girl stood up and slowly made her way towards his direction. It did not take long before the duo found themselves staring at one another. 

A massive intimidating black shadow and a small cute girl faced each other in silence. Contrary to Leo's expectations, the little girl was not frightened, quite the opposite, her big ocean eyes shone with curiosity as she stared at him. 

"Who are you?" She asked. 

Hearing that question, Leo was momentarily stunned. Who was he? Was he still Leo the assassin? Or was he this new shadowy entity that seemed to feed off life force? 

"You look soo cool! I have never seen something like you before!" Added the little girl. 

"Can you talk? My name is Naya, what's yours?" She asked while moving closer towards him, causing him to unconsciously take a step back.

"Oh, don't be scared. I won't hurt you!" Said Naya.

Hearing that, Leo stopped a chuckle from escaping his lips. A little girl, not even ten telling him that she wouldn't hurt him. The entire scene was completely absurd, yet he did not wish to accidentally kill the small child.

He may have pulled back his skills, yet he was still unsure if his body was harmful to the child, so he chose to step back. 

"Don't come closer child." He said, his voice deep and imposing resounded throughout the forest causing Naya's eyes to open wide in shock.

"Y-You can talk!" She shouted excitedly.

Seeing that she was undisturbed by his frightening appearance and voice, caused Leo to be surprised. Naya did not seem to notice anything as she stepped closer towards him. 

"I said don't come child, I don't want you to accidentally die." He growled while taking another step back. 

Hearing that, a confused expression took over Naya's face as she asked. 

"Die? What's that?"

'It seems that she is still a little too young to understand.' Thought Leo, as he began thinking over how to explain. 

"Everything that lives, one day dies. Death is the end of living. When someone dies, their body stops working; they don’t need to eat, drink, or breathe anymore."

Hearing that, Naya's face grew even more confused as she sat down on the ground and scratched her head. 

"So it's like sleeping?" She asked still somewhat confused. 

"No, it’s is not like sleeping. Once someone dies, they are dead forever and cannot come back.” Patiently answered Leo. He did not know why he was having such a conversation with this little girl, yet here he was, explaining what death was to her. 

"So it's like those that leave the village and never come back? Are they dead?" She asked.

"No, when a person dies their body simply stops working as their spirit leaves for another place." He tried to explain it in a simplified manner, yet looking at Naya scratching her head in confusion was enough to tell him that she didn't understand anything he was talking about.

"Naya!" 

"Naya!"

The sound of the worried voices calling out to Naya drifted from the village as people began calling out to her.

"Shoot! They already found out. I have to go uh, mister?" She said with a bit of hesitation as if not knowing how to address Leo. To that he simply waved his hand towards her, indicating that she should hurry and leave.

Naya flashed him a beaming smile and quickly ran back towards the village in fear of being scolded. Leo watched her leave before deciding to stealthily follow.

5