Part 5: The Chancellor’s Plot
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ulaf stared in open mouthed shock. He never expected in a million years to hear anything like that. Lya gasped and broke into tears.

            “That settles it,” Ulaf sank into a chair, “Where ever you go, after we lay my daughter to rest, we will go with you.”

            “That's going to be dangerous. This will be seen as an uprising, even to the Federation,” Falconer answered.

            “It matters not. I know where I stand. Rest here. Despite your secrecy, I must warn the other elders of this village. You may not be safe here for long, but perhaps long enough to consider our next move.” Ulaf stood and walked out the door without another word. The rest sat in the room in eerie silence. Lya picked up the baby and made it clear in her actions that she would take over Shira's job.

            “So what do we do, Sir?” Reigndale asked.

            “I don't know yet. This is very complicated. I've never considered arresting the Chancellor or anyone of his rank before. I don't know if we can. Technically he rules the planet and sits in as part of the Federation. We need them to denounce him. Then we can arrest him. Until then, we keep Princess Shira away from him and seek out the rest of the guard. We're going to need our full force for this.”

            “Innocent,” murmured Helshred.

            “I know, my friend. In the process of it all, we must prove innocence. Not just yours but all of ours.”

            He looked to Sersi,  but she offered no additional advice. None of them knew how they would achieve this lofty goal.

******

The Chancellor watched the Federation members' crafts rise into the atmosphere, one by one. He turned and walked briskly to his quarters with instructions to the standard guard to be on watch. In his quarters he found someone waiting. Orcs are easily recognized by their cauldron black skin, red eyes, pointed ears, and fangs. This one was no different in that regard. What was different about him was his manner. Typically a guttural and brutish race, this Orc appeared a little more refined. He dressed in a long coat and had his gear on in an organized fashion. Clothing was tucked in orderly and his claws were well groomed and filed. Each claw ended in a neat sharpened point instead of a broken jagged edge. As the Chancellor came in he smiled and lifted one hand. His black fingers elongated and shifted, becoming long crystalline blades with wicked curves and points.

            “I understand your men failed to kill the Princess,” he hissed.

            “It doesn't matter,” the Chancellor ignored the verbal jab, “they've played right into position. In fleeing they look more guilty than ever. I will say you did your job perfectly. If not for your special ability, it would be difficult to make it look like that brute killed the King.”

            “Of course I did. I'm a professional. It's what I do.” the Orc's never wavering smile became unnerving. “Did the Falconer get to see my handy work?”

            “No. It all went too fast and got out of hand for him too quickly. None the less, now I can employ any method I wish to hunt them down. They must not leave this world except by death.”

            “I can handle that.”

            “Not yet. I have another ally who will assist in this. He should be contacting me as soon as the other leaders are well out of range.”

            “Do the others suspect?”

            “Not at all.” A buzzer sounded from a console component with a screen, dials and switches. “There he is now.”

            With the flip of a switch the screen blinked on revealing the face of the Duke.

            “It seems your plans took an unexpected turn,” he said.

            “And yet, still achieved the desired results.”

            “For now. What do you want to do next?”

            “Tomorrow I want some of your best men with their best weapons to come and kill them all. I’m sure your ships scanners can find a lone airship.”

            “We can do that.”

            “And then we can get to work on the rest of our plans.”

            The monitor blinked out and the Chancellor smiled again.

*****

As evening set in, Falconer glanced at the fire place sitting dark and cold. At his stare the logs burst into flame and instantly warmed the room. Lya smiled kindly from a rocking chair, holding Princess Shira. Helshred sat against a wall, staring at some of his blades in grim regard. Reigndale stood by the door. Sersi took flight out a window to scout the area for coming guards.

            “They say you have command over all elements,” Lya said quietly.

            “Yes. That is true.”

            “It was a fine thing you did in naming her after my sister. I thank you for that.”

            “It really seemed the right thing to do. I think the King himself would agree.”

            They sat in silence for a while more until the door opened and Ulaf came in. Everyone looked to him with expectation.

            “Well, the elders are scared and rightfully so. Still, they will see it to it that we are protected until we can find somewhere else to be.”

            “That will have to be soon,” Falconer said, “We must seek out the rest of the guard.”

            “How will we do that?” Reigndale asked. “They are all off world and we need a ship.”

            “Then we'll just have to get a ship.”

            Reigndale nodded. They could do little more than bed down for the night with anticipation of the morning sun and all it would bring. Falconer's dreams tossed him with images of the King and Queen, the baby and the grim faced Chancellor. He wished it could have been the Chancellor thrown off the airship to the sharp hungry rocks.

            The sun rose high over the mountains and cast rays of awakening light across the land. The peaceful serenity broke under the landing jets of two Amnath ships in a clearing several yards across the woods from the village. Soldiers unloaded from the crafts and marched toward the village, leaving two standing guard. As they reached the edge of the cottages they fanned out in military precision and tactics. As one of the men put his foot into the perimeter, they were interrupted by a shouting voice from behind.

            “What are you doing here?” Reigndale's voice came.

            They spun but couldn't see their target in the trees.

            “You may as well come out,” said a soldier.

            “First you answer me! Why are soldiers of Amnath here?”

            “That's none of your concern, traitor.”

0