Part 9: A Plan Forms
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bad luck for you! You picked the wrong prey!” She shimmered in magical essence for a moment and shot high skyward. Once far above the beast, she dove again with speed and precision. Sersi glowed red with power and struck it across a shoulder. Sersi’s mystical power dive could crack armor with ease, making open flesh no contest. With a roar of pain and a broken wing it spiraled to the jungle below. As the creature’s body crashed through the canopy, Sersi continued her mission. She found Reigndale sitting up on the ground, holding his rifle. Helshred stood over the reptile cat with a smoldering hole in its neck. Helshred gave it several stabs for good measure. Reigndale had blood flowing from several deep gashes in his shoulder. Fortunately for him, the gashes were from claws, not teeth. None of them wanted to see what the venom of the creature could do.

            “Are you alright?” She spoke into his mind as she landed on the ground next to him.

            “I'm alive,” he answered.

            “Those are nasty cuts. Hold still and I will stop the bleeding and heal you the best I can.”

            Reigndale did as he was told and Sersi fluttered up on his leg for a closer look. She stared at the wound and her eyes glowed with a white light. The wound sealed and healed to the point of base scarring. As an intermediate in magic, Sersi knew several useful spells. Her healing was strong, but not so strong as to erase scarring. She needed more practice. As she matured, she would be able to regenerate lost limbs and even revive the recently slain. At this point, she could make sure there would be no infection or further loss of blood. Reigndale would still be a little sore, but alive. The claws were long and sharp enough to go through his uniform armor. If it weren’t for the padding the claws had to go through, he would be dead.

            “Thank you,” Reigndale didn't care much about having scars as they were the mark of a warrior. He was just glad to be alive and not poisoned by the creature. Once she finished, Sersi flew back to report while the two scouts continued with their mission to the ship.

 Hours later, Reigndale and Helshred walked back into the outpost loaded down with suitcase-like containers. Lya fed them and wouldn't take no for an answer like before. She scolded them for leaving without eating in the first place.

            “You shouldn't have left without breakfast and you've been gone too long out there with nothing in your stomachs. Now eat, the both of you!”

            Reigndale didn’t argue, but first changed out his torn uniform for an extra, and cleaned himself of blood. He was ready to eat too, since loss of blood weakened him a little. As they finished their meals, Falconer opened up containers to see what lay inside. There was some communications gear and weapons. He also saw what looked like the repellent technology he asked about. Reigndale came out and confirmed it for him.

            “Those sonic emitters will keep our cat friends and any like them from coming near.”

            “Good. I see you found a new shirt. The beast shredded your other one.”

            “Yes. I am in uniform and I'm fine. Sersi healed me.”

            “I bet you didn't expect to go big game hunting did you?”

            “No, Sir. I didn't. I'll set up those emitters now.” Reigndale took them and went to work. He set up a perimeter around the entire building and switched them on. The sonic frequency would be very irritating and even painful to most animals. He hoped it would be enough to keep the biggest and baddest away. He didn't want to be jumped on by another cat beast. He felt thankful that he had the quickness and clarity to fire his rifle when he did. Its teeth snapped inches from his face in the same moment, only a hairs breadth from putting its venom in his eyes. He dismissed the memory of its hot breath as he pushed the last emitter's post into the ground and gave it a tug for assurance. Satisfied in his work, after a quick double check, he returned to the building. He grabbed up and extra rifle and went to find Ulaf.

“Have you ever used one of these?” he tossed the weapon into the big man’s hands.

            “No.”

            “Come with me. I want to show you how. Depending on Falconer's plans, all three of us may be away from you and your daughter at any given time. You need to be able to defend them with the best weapons at hand.”

            “Very well. Show me your weapon. I have had my fair day of shooting with a bow and throwing my knife. I think I can pick up shooting with this.”

            They went out to the edge of the perimeter. Lya busied herself with the baby while Sersi and Helshred took a patrol. Falconer stood outside alone. He wondered who of the four missing members he should go after first. Two of them partnered on their mission and it would be advantageous to increase their numbers by two right away instead of one. Those sent on missions were sent to the far outposts. They would be a dangerous distance away. The only answer to that, was to go out, find them and bring them back on three separate missions. Now that their hiding place was livable, he felt urgency in getting the next task underway.

            Later Reigndale and Ulaf returned laughing.

            “You took to it quicker than I did. I am impressed,” Reigndale said.

            “I told you I have the eye for it.”

Falconer met them.  “It's nearly time for dinner. We all need to talk.”

            Once all of them were gathered and seated, Falconer stood before them.

            “Now that we have a somewhat safe place for our Princess, we need to get on with our mission. I've decided that we will go to Outpost 3 where Halley and Viro were sent on some mission for the Chancellor. Then we will bring them back here. Once we do that, a couple of us can stay here while I will take two with me to go on the next mission. We’ll repeat the process until we have our team reunited.”

            “Sir, one of us should still stay here,” Reigndale suggested, “I'm your pilot, so I know you need me. I also know you would hate to part with Sersi that far, but if she or..”

            “I stay,” grated Helshred. They all looked to him. “I stay and protect. Helshred.”

            Falconer looked to Ulaf. Ulaf seemed to read his mind.

            “Any member of your guard that you trust, I trust also,” Ulaf nodded to Helshred, “I've seen this one in action and I think he'll do a fine job protecting us.”

0