Chapter 7: Library of the Occult
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Together, Camellia, Eva, and Meladee secured Eva’s fighter to Faustina’s hull. Camellia thought it would be best if Eva did not fly into civilization in a genuine, working space ship. Her new companions agreed. Meladee and Eva tested Faustina’s ability to carry the small ship and were satisfied. Camellia contributed to the effort by painting the underside of Eva’s ship to look like salvage. That way, they could park in full view of the public, sans magic. As Camellia stepped back to admire her job, she caught Eva’s rattled expression.

“It’s just paint,” Camellia said, hoping to comfort Eva.

“It’s remarkably done. I find myself wondering if I did any work to it at all.” With arms crossed, Eva studied her little ship. Then, still looking grim, she checked on the fasteners one last time, ensuring her fighter would not fall from Faustina’s side.

Camellia smiled at Faustina’s surprised expression. The ship’s little “O” of a mouth remained unchanged, but Meladee had shifted the pupils. Now, Faustina looked directly at her new passenger: Eva’s little fighter.

“Alright,” Meladee said. “Time to get in the air. Fighter’s secure and I rebalanced the ship.” Meladee smiled as she viewed the false rust and decay on Eva’s fighter. “Nice. It really looks like a piece of junk.”

Eva frowned.

Camellia beamed and answered, “All female anthropologists get a lot of restoration instruction. After we get married, they expect us to spend some time at a museum – restoring artifacts. I’ve stared at enough decay to recreate the effect.”

“Beautiful.” Meladee kissed her fingers and flung the kiss into the air.

Eva climbed aboard Faustina.

With one final glance at her accomplishment, Camellia followed.

 

A short while later, they ballooned through the sky. In four hours, they would reach Camellia’s target: the Library of the Occult.

During the trip, they all sat in the cockpit, and Camellia again went over her references of the Lurrien creatures. The only picture showed a tangle of limbs, which Eva noted was inaccurate in subject but strangely accurate in spirit. The artist’s rendering of arms, legs, tails, and tentacles – all akimbo – captured the feel of the thing. Camellia puzzled over the creature, glancing at Eva periodically. She’d lent Eva a history book to learn of the world outside Lurren. Camellia, on the other hand, knew much about Tagtrum, Groaza, and the surrounding lands. She focused on Lurren.

“We need to name your ship,” Meladee called from the controls.

“Excuse me?” Eva looked up from the book.

“Your little fighter doesn’t have a name. We have to fix that.”

“Its serial number was FX-287. Considering it’s the only one left of its make, we could promote it to FX-001,” Eva said. She buried her nose in the book.

Camellia smiled, but she didn’t think Eva would escape the conversation no matter how clever the retort.

Meladee proved her right. “Nah. What kind of a name is that? Let’s call it something with a little more zing. How about...?” Before Meladee could finish her suggestion, Faustina beeped a warning. “Shit. Big ship ahead. We’ve been out here only half an hour, and already there’s air traffic.”

“That’s odd.” Camellia frowned and turned to look out the window.

“They’ll be on the port side,” Meladde said. “That’s Eva’s side in case you don’t remember your directions.”

Camellia turned and hopped onto Eva’s side of the cushions. Both Eva and Camellia knelt to look through the window.

“Okay, they’ll be passing us any moment. They’re headed the way we came. Look at their markings.”

As Meladee alerted Eva and Camellia to the passing ship, a massive hull came into view. The ship was three times the length of Faustina. It bore a seal, emblazoned three times on its port-side hull: a circle ringed with winding branches. Camellia snatched up a piece of paper and sketched a quick likeness, hardly noticing that Meladee struggled to give their ship room. Aside from a few tremors, they passed the other ship unscathed.

“God dammit. They flew close. You’d think that ass of a Captain would want a little personal space.” Meladee flipped some controls, and the ship’s ride smoothed.

“The pattern of the vines in your drawing is not exact.” Eva stared at Camellia’s page and delivered her critique with a lack of emotion.

“I know, but seals have to be distinct. If we see anything remotely like this…” Camellia jabbed her paper. “We’ll know who they were.”

“Let me see.” Meladee beckoned.

Camellia hopped off the cushions and crossed the cockpit. She showed the paper to Meladee.

“The hell is that?” Meladee asked, wrinkling her nose. “Some nature brigade? I don’t know who just passed us. Probably some fancy shipping or salvage company. Weird to see them up here though.” Meladee checked her instruments. “They’re gone now. We probably got a better look at them than they did at us.”

The rest of the voyage passed in silence. Camellia puzzled over the seal, and in her books, she tried to find information on the unfamiliar symbol. She found nothing, but she was not surprised. Books on businesses, especially current ones, were not her main area of interest. She returned to her work on the monster in Lurren. Eva resumed her history lesson, and Meladee steered quietly. From the looks on the pilot’s face, Camellia thought Meladee might be thinking of new names for the little fighter.

 

They arrived at the library’s large campus and parked in a gravel lot. Below deck, Camellia gathered her things. As she worked, she heard Meladee and Eva disembark. Their footsteps carried into the ship, crunching back and forth, around the vessel. Camellia heard one last crunch pass her window. She picked up her bag and headed for the ladder.

With research materials in tow, Camellia climbed. She cleared the deck, and sun pierced her view. Camellia blinked the light away and opened her eyes to see the Library of the Occult.

Once a sprawling mansion, historians had converted the large house into a library. It specialized in dark magic and ancient supernatural battles, including Lurrien monsters. Officially, Camellia knew this was the Library of the Occult, but ever since her first visit, she had dubbed it the Library of Monster Slaying. The large section on vampires and dhampirs left her little comfort.

“Not really busy,” Meladee said as she secured the ship and their “salvage.” She set the last lock and activated her magical traps.

“It’s much busier in the autumn when would-be monster hunters receive training. The library also offers special exhibits for the public – during the winter and fall. Spring and summer are their off-seasons.” Camellia was relieved to see theirs was the only ship in the lot. Not even a buggy or coach offered Faustina company.

“It’s big,” Eva noted. She spun in a circle and took in the towering trees, carefully overgrown gardens, well-tended green, and the marble palace at its center.

“Yes, it’s very nice.” Camellia set her eyes on her feet and started for the house, leaving the gravel lot for a path of stone.

Meladee and Eva followed.

“This place is like...the perfect setting for a romance novel. No wonder you love the things. I could think of a guy or two I’d bring here,” Meladee said. “Heck, I might even titter for him.”

Camellia answered with a few mumbled words and struggled not to think of a certain anthropologist. Despite her efforts, her saw herself with Adalhard beneath a tree, covered in dappled shadow, her hands in his. Camellia renewed her commitment to a view of the ground.

When they reached the door, Camellia pulled a cord and heard the bell inside.

“Is there food here?” Meladee asked. “It’s almost lunch.” Her stomach growled.

“You eat pretty often, even for an organic,” Eva said.

Meladee glared at Eva. “What? Your memory of organics is really shoddy. Well, I guess you were used to mad scientists, who ate like once a day and collapsed from creative fervor.”

Before Eva could respond, Camellia interjected, “There’s food. A small café in the basement. We can eat first if you like.” Camellia searched her bag for her papers and ignored Meladee and Eva for a moment.

The door opened and a clerk greeted them. “Welcome to the Library of the Occult. May I see your credentials?”

Camellia had her credentials ready. She held them for the clerk to see.

“Come in.” The clerk stepped aside. She let all three women in before she closed and locked the door. “Please sign in. Your assistants too. Have you been here before?”

“I have, but it’s their first time.” Camellia signed.

She handed the clipboard to Meladee, who signed and passed it to Eva.

The clerk half-smiled and clasped her hands in a formal manner. “I’ll explain our rules. You need to sign out before you leave, and none of our materials can leave the premises. If you would like to stay overnight, we have a few rooms available. There are bathrooms on each floor and a cafe in the basement. Spring is our slow season, but we do have one researcher on hand to assist you. Otherwise, you’re free to walk around the interior of the library. You must sign out to visit most of the grounds, with the exception of the walled-in garden. That can be reached through the back door in the basement café. Security is very light this time of year, so we keep our doors locked. I’m sure you understand. Please let me know if you need any help.” The girl finished her spiel and took a seat at the front desk.

Camellia listened patiently but with little attention. She saw that Eva and Meladee barely listened as well. The two seemed unable to draw their eyes from the painted ceilings, grand columns, and golden staircase. Camellia shook her head, glad that she would be present to guide them.

She waited another moment to see if the clerk would say more, but the clerk remained silent.

“Thank you. I know my way around, but we’ll be sure to ask if we need help.” Camellia nodded at the girl and led her companions to the basement. “Food first?”

“Yeah.” Meladee still stared at her surroundings. “This place is like a dream. We should sleep here instead of in the ship. The beds might be satin, with embroidered fainting maidens…”

Camellia knew the bedrooms offered nothing special, and she felt the need to tell Meladee. “The available rooms are in the old servants’ quarters. I’m afraid the main bedrooms have been converted.”

Camellia descended a set of stone, spiral stairs. The stairs were not grand, but they were well tended and spiraled loosely to the floor below. Camellia dismounted the last step and entered the café. The temperature cooled, a result of the big stone room. On the far wall, rested a counter. Iron tables and chairs littered the space from the stairs to the counter. Along the wall was an open door and outdoor staircase, leading up and out to the walled garden.

“I’m so glad we’re doing research.” Meladee sighed. “So so glad.”

Meladee walked to the counter while Eva pulled out a seat at a corner table.

Camellia was about to follow Meladee when she heard footsteps on the stairs outside. Boots clattered, a man’s tread. Camellia’s guess proved correct when Cahir strolled through the garden door. He spotted Camellia and stared. She looked at the floor, counter, tables – anywhere but at Cahir. She started for the counter, but Cahir blocked her path.

“Camellia? I thought you planned to stay in Groaza.” Cahir placed both hands on her shoulders.

She winced and just looked at the floor.

Cahir continued, “Last we spoke, you were adamant to avoid Tagtrum.”

“Well, my friends convinced me to...come here instead.” Camellia glanced at Eva and then at Meladee.

Both women stared at her with identical expressions. Camellia could almost hear them say Who the hell is he?

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. I thought you’d already left for Tagtrum.” Camellia wasn’t sorry, but she wanted to be polite.

Cahir kept a grip on her shoulders, giving them a squeeze. “I probably had. I’m so glad to see you.” He stepped closer.

Camellia’s eyes widened and she shrugged him off. “Oh, I’m sorry. I’m kind of busy. I’m here with my friends. I don’t want to be rude. I...I hope you understand.”

“I could help you with your research, or are you just enjoying the grounds?”

“A little of both. You don’t have to help though. We’re fine. It’s just idle curiosity.” Camellia dismissed him with a wave of her hand. “I’m really hungry, so…”

“I am as well. Do you mind if I join you?” Cahir’s eyes bore into Camellia.

While she struggled for an answer, she glanced around the room.

Meladee mouthed Who is this fucker?

Camellia was sure that Eva also caught the meaning because Eva pushed back her chair and left their table. Camellia looked at Cahir and his earnest eyes. He’s so interested. Maybe lunch won’t hurt.

“I guess it’s alright if you join us,” Camellia said.

Cahir smiled. He remained oblivious, but as Camellia peered over his shoulder, she saw Meladee fling up her hands. Cahir took Camellia’s arm and led her to the counter, where Meladee waited and tapped her fingers on the granite. Eva crept up behind.

“What can I get for you?” asked the man behind the counter. He looked first at Meladee. Camellia thought the man did a bad job of hiding his smirk.

Meladee ordered, “Yeah. I want a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise.”

The server looked at Camellia next. He smiled as Cahir held her arm captive. Camellia didn’t appreciate the server’s amusement. She glanced up at Cahir and found him gazing back. Her mouth formed an ‘O,’ much like Faustina’s.

“Egg salad,” she said, with wide eyes.

The man behind the counter nodded. “Egg salad for the lady of interest.”

Camellia felt her face warm.

Thankfully, both men looked at Eva.

“What’ll it be, red?” the server asked, referring to Eva’s deep, vibrant hair.

Now, Eva’s eyes grew wide and her mouth got round. “I’m not sure.”

“She’ll have a blueberry muffin,” Meladee said.

Eva nodded gratefully.

Finally, Cahir ordered a sandwich, but Camellia didn’t catch his request. She was too busy, feeling the heat of her companions’ anger. Eva and Meladee glared daggers at her, but she avoided their eyes.

Once everyone had their food, they followed Cahir to a table. He finally let go of Camellia’s arm to pull out her chair. She said nothing and shamefully sat down. With a violent jerk, Meladee pulled out her own chair and sat as well. Meladee and Eva ate in silence, and a look of horror sat on Eva’s face as she consumed her blueberry muffin.

To fill the silence, Camellia talked with Cahir. He dominated the conversation, but Camellia managed to ask why he wasn’t at the Dragua Library. Cahir answered only that he was on an errand.

Finally, Camellia looked at her empty plate. “I think it’s time for us to get to work.” She pushed her chair back but remained in her seat.

“What are you researching?”

Camellia stared at the table. “Nothing interesting. Just…stuff.” Again, her face warmed. “Oh, I have to go to the bathroom. I might as well bring Eva and Meladee with me. You know to…”

“Do the girl gang thing.” Meladee rose from her chair, and its legs slid across the floor, with a deep screech.

Eva already headed for the stairs.

Camellia hopped up, but as she turned away from Cahir, she felt her hand captured by his.

“I’ll see you again – before you go?” he asked.

“Uh…sure,” Camellia promised, not meeting his eyes.

“I look forward to it. I’ll be here a while. So, don’t assume I’m gone.”

Camellia barely looked at him. “I won’t.” She pulled her hand free and fled to the stairs.

At the top, once they’d escaped, Meladee spat, “You just had to be polite. We’re trying to, you know, save the world.”

“I know. He’s just so…”

Meladee spread her hands. “Oblivious? Creepy?”

“Those are both good descriptors.” Camellia scratched her head. “Let’s get to work.”

“I ate a mush ball,” Eva said, wide-eyed. “I don’t eat organic food. I can’t make a habit of this, or I’ll be made of mush.”

“It’s just one muffin.” Meladee patted Eva on the shoulder and motioned for Camellia to lead on. “Besides, I’m made of mush. I get by fine.”

Camellia led them to the foyer. She nodded a greeting at the clerk and beckoned her companions up the golden stairs. They followed. Camellia took them straight to the section on the Lurrien War. After some short instruction, Camellia had Eva and Meladee combing the shelves. Camellia sat at a table and looked through the books in detail. Most of the texts glossed over the creatures, naming only infestation locations, the extent of destruction, and when the creatures were defeated.

On the first day, two dig site analyses kept Camellia busy. Archaeologists had found two underground nests in Ponk and Groaza. Both were a mess of complex tunnels, centered around a large interior chamber. The tunnels were too small for most Iruedians to crawl through but big enough to fit a limb or head inside. The archaeologists speculated that snake or wormlike creatures used the tunnels, and though the tunnels may not have been for Lurrien creatures, many archaeologists were suspicious, due to their proximity to Lurrien battle sites. The complex in Ponk had been partially filled in, but the nest in Groaza had been converted into a catacomb, with bodies inserted into the tunnels in long chains. Camellia shuddered.

When she showed a sketch of the creatures’ theorized shapes to Eva, Eva could only shrug and say, “The one in my homeland looks different – less wormlike. It’s more a landscape of meat.

On the second day, Camellia researched the creatures’ abilities. Every book mentioned their telepathic prowess as well as their power of suggestion. That part reminded her of vampires, though what came next did not. Each creature possessed devoted followers, who worshipped them as gods.

Camellia also found vague references to infection and transformation. Nothing specific, with the exception of a sketch of sprawling Iruedian bodies. When she first saw it, Camellia stared at the field of melting people. Finally, she showed the blanket of bodies to Eva.

Eva tilted her head and commented, “Not quite. Early stage infection affects behavior only. Late stage covers the victim in the creature’s flesh.

The days passed. Camellia ate at odd times and avoided the main foyer. She woke early and sought bed late. Still, whenever she roamed too far from their stacks, Cahir found her. He met her at meals. He wished her good morning and goodnight. He engaged her in conversation, which Camellia felt was less creepy but still intrusive. He asked about her home life, her favorite aspects of her career, and the places she most loved to visit.

Camellia couldn’t explain it away. Cahir’s behavior looked too much like genuine interest – the kind of interest she’d rather have from Adalhard.

“Good evening,” Camellia bid him as she crept towards a back set of stairs.

“Back to work?”

“Yes.”

“I am as well. Maybe, I’ll see you to bed?”

“I’ll be up very late,” Camellia said, with a small smile. “You should sleep.” Camellia put her hand on the banister and began to climb.

“Camellia?”

She stopped.

“I believe it’s important to have something to believe in. Do you have that?” Cahir approached the stairs. He put a hand over Camellia’s and looked into her eyes. “You seem...unfocused lately.”

“I’m fine.” She stared at his hand over hers but didn’t pull away. “I have work.”

“I think you need something more.”

Again, Camellia met his eyes. “I’m not sure what you mean by that, but I meant I have work to do. You’re keeping me from it.” Camellia began to slip her hand free.

“Ah, I see. I’m sorry.” Cahir pressed her hand into the bannister, keeping it under his. “I meant you need something more than work to believe in.”

“I’m just working with what I have right now,” Camellia said.

“You don’t have to.” Cahir set one foot on the stairs.

Camellia pulled her hand free and ascended. “I’ll see you sometime later.”

She hurried upstairs to slink back to their fortress of research in the seldom used Lurrien section. She strayed from the straight path to conceal their table from Cahir. Camellia walked a circuit around the floor and wandered all the way to the beginning of Iruedian history. She found a small section on Volanter magic. Seldom linked to the occult, the subject of Volanters fit on one meager shelf. Camellia scanned the spines: Volanter Influence on Dark Magic, Volanter Dark Magic Symbols...Volanter Artifacts.

Camellia pulled the book from the shelf and flipped through. She didn’t expect to find the Obsidian Mirror. The only specimens she had seen belonged to Vetoin vampires, the predators of the Vetoin nation, which rested a few degrees of latitude above Iruedim’s equator. The Vetoin vampires, fewer in number, made up for that fact by claiming more lives of their mortal brethren than Groazan vampires ever had. They even tortured each other, and the Obsidian Mirrors played a key role in that activity.

Towards the end of the book, Camellia found the mirror. She read: Obsidian Mirrors, created by Volanters, are scattered throughout Iruedim. They were found and repurposed by many groups, in particular, the Wenders. Wenders resided in southern Ponk and were known for their use of psychotics and crystal gazing, including Obsidian Mirrors. The reflective slabs of rock may be large or small, oval or round. All are ringed in magic symbols. The exact symbols are unknown as is the mirrors’ purpose. At the start of the 7th millennium, the Wenders possessed several Obsidian Mirrors, one of which they showed to a Groazan visitor, who went mad upon its viewing.

Camellia read the rest of the piece, but she found no mention of the Vetoins. She also discovered that she knew far more than the author.

How many ways can you say ‘we don’t know anything?’ I guess he had a word quota. I could quadruple the word count with my knowledge.

Camellia wasn’t sure of the original purpose of the mirrors either, but the Vetoin vampires used them as punishment for wayward disciples. They forced the offender to look at the mirror and become trapped in a kind of dream puzzle, based entirely on that person’s own knowledge and fears. Most remained trapped forever, but those that came out of the dream were acquitted. During her first encounter, Camellia cheated. She hadn’t looked at the mirror but instead at the victim’s mind. The next time that she looked at her own little Obsidian Mirror, she was prepared.

I shouldn’t be researching Volanter mirrors. Camellia replaced the book on the shelf. That was diverting, but now I have to help Eva and Meladee find a way to save the world. Camellia left the Volanter section and walked back to the Lurrien area.

 

When the end of their research neared, Camellia hunted for the creature’s weakness. First, she read through a vague and overwritten account set in Ponk. It detailed a large battle. Five heroes, using magic weapons, fought one of the creatures. A handful of illustrations accompanied the account, but in the case of the weapons, Camellia found only depictions of fiery swords and other glowing tools. Camellia showed the pictures to Eva. Eva looked at the glowing swords and declared them fantasy.

Camellia’s favorite piece, a poem about a Groazan hero, also spoke of an enchanted weapon. The poem entertained Camellia, but she found little new information. The poem did suggest that the creature was multi-armed. Again, Camellia showed the work to Eva. Eva explained that the thing didn’t seem to have any limbs. Infected people could develop branching or tentacled growths as the creature’s flesh crawled over their bodies. Some of those tentacles had specific functions, but that was all. Camellia wondered if the Groazan hero merely killed a large infected individual.

The final account puzzled Camellia. In Tagtrum, a group of mages trapped one of the creatures and destroyed it. Camellia presumed they used magic, but a cartoonish illustration showed a circle of mages, with a blob at the center. A few magic words, sprinkled in bold, punctuated the blob. She almost laughed at the nonsensical depiction. This story, she showed to Meladee, and Meladee confirmed that the words weren’t real magic.

On their final morning, Camellia organized her notes and stuffed them in her bag.

“You’d think these things were so terrifying, they’d want to document how they killed them.” Meladee slid a book onto a shelf.

“We know they used magic, and everyone seems to think the creatures were either snakes, worms, or tentacled monsters. That directly contradicts what Eva’s seen. Unless, they never killed a creature, only infected individuals.” Camellia frowned. “I’m not sure what to make of it.” She rubbed her neck and rose from her seat. “Maybe the creature metamorphoses during its lifecycle. In that case, it could be worms, tentacles, and a giant pile of flesh. Or maybe, there was only ever one creature and a lot of infected disciples.”

If Iruedians never killed a creature, that could pose a problem. Years into Iruedim’s future, it would.

“Well, what are we going to do?” Meladee said.

“Stuck?” Cahir asked from between two shelves. “Camellia, I never thought to find you in this section. What interests you about the Lurrien War?”

Camellia froze and glanced at Eva and Meladee. Both women looked away from Cahir. Presumably, they’d seen enough of the man. They picked up some books and returned to the shelves. Eva left without a look at Camellia, and Meladee gave her an apologetic but remorseless glance.

Camellia found herself alone with Cahir.

“We were just interested in the invaders...the creatures that started the dark age. Eva grew up near one of the supposed nests,” Camellia lied. She put the table between her and Cahir.

Cahir ventured closer. “Really, and what interests you about them?”

“Nothing in particular. I’m just very curious. I have to…”

“Curious is good.” Cahir came to her side and took her arm. He checked the stacks and listened. “Perhaps, you are ready to know.”

“Know what?”

Cahir put an arm around Camellia’s shoulders and led her silently to a cushioned alcove. Camellia hugged her bag, looked out the window, and saw the walled-in garden below.

“Camellia, there are creatures on Iruedim as ancient and wise as whatever powers govern the wormhole. They would be free if they had not been defeated in the Lurrien War. Even now, they doze, half-aware, half-awake. They guide whoever they can to their fold,” Cahir whispered.

“Are you saying that there are Lurrien creatures still alive on Iruedim? The same creatures that nearly destroyed Iruedim?” Camellia’s heart pounded, and in the afternoon sun, she felt light-headed. Her daywalker’s stone sparkled. Cahir knows about Lurren?! How?

“They would never have destroyed Iruedim,” Cahir said. “They would have changed the land yes, but not so much that we couldn’t live among them.” Cahir grabbed Camellia’s shoulders and stared into her eyes. “Camellia, I serve one of them. I’m its high priest...and I have been sent to find a high priestess.”

One of them? Where?” Camellia stuttered.

She backed away, trying to exit the alcove, but Cahir stepped in front of her and put firm hands on her shoulders.

“You are lost and unaware of how your abilities can be used to make you strong. It has chosen you for the high priestess, and I agree wholeheartedly with its judgement. I thought I would need to introduce you slowly, but I find you here researching on your own, just as it said you would. I can’t let you believe the lies published in these volumes. Let me save you. Let Ah’nee’thit save you.” Cahir grasped Camellia tight.

“I have to get permission from…”

“No, you don’t need permission. Not from Adalhard or your father or your new companions. Cast off those chains. Come with me.”

Camellia struggled. She looked beyond the alcove, but her day weakness kept her in Cahir’s grasp. He held her tight.

“Eva? Meladee?” Camellia called.

“Quiet!” Cahir scolded. He gave her a shake. He pulled her to his chest, squashed her bag between them, and captured her with one arm. His free arm rummaged in a pocket, and he produced a scroll. It flashed and disintegrated.

Camellia frantically searched for the magic’s effect.

“Silence – for you only. I can’t afford to lose an ideal priestess to her own shattered sense of self-worth.” Cahir kept Camellia in a tight hold. “Now, don’t run. You will follow me, and when we reach our destination, I will release the spell. Then, we’ll talk. I want to guide you to our ways properly, but...If you don’t agree, I’ll take more drastic action. Do you understand?”

Camellia frowned. She didn’t want to agree but found herself nodding. She stared at his neck and tongued her tiny, far-spaced fangs. She might be able to wrestle him into a feeding position at night, but not during the day – not with her fangs. She glanced up and took in his full height. She couldn’t bite a man so big without his consent. She lowered her eyes to his collar, and even then, she had to look up.

Camellia’s eyes widened. On Cahir’s collar, she saw the seal of interwoven branches.

The mark on the ship! Camellia looked up at him and pointed to his seal.

“This?” Cahir asked. He kept Camellia tight. “It’s the mark of my order. Ah’nee’thit instructed us to recreate this symbol, so we may recruit others to the cause. The time for secrecy nears its end. Many of us wear the symbol now.” Cahir smiled. “And, by us, I mean AAH members. Ah’nee’thit has a fondness for us.” Cahir narrowed his eyes, a bit lustfully. “How clever you are. It was right about you.”

Camellia despaired. Even if she could break free and run, she would be trapped in the library. She had to sign out to leave, and she didn’t know whether any of the librarians wore the seal. Did the clerk at the front desk wear the symbol?

“Come,” Cahir said. “And, be good. Or, you’ll find out what else I have with me.”

Camellia nodded.

Cahir released her. He walked a few paces and looked back. Camellia put her bag across her body, hoping Cahir would not begrudge her the time. She wanted to stall, however futilely. He wore his annoyance but allowed her to ready herself. Then, he beckoned.

She conjured an innocent expression and followed. She kept a five-foot distance. Cahir walked on. Camellia paced him. He looked back often and smiled. While Camellia searched the stacks for Eva or Meladee, Cahir led her towards the golden staircase.

He paused as he entered the main corridor. “Walk beside me now.”

Camellia came to his side, and he put his arm around her, guiding her towards the stairs.

“Don’t lose courage,” he said. “Just a little time, and we can give you something real to believe in.”

Camellia nodded. She’d rather have nothing.

Her mind raced. She planned escape, but in the background, she considered Cahir’s words, timed with Eva’s arrival. Both connected to Lurrien monsters, and both approached her within the span of two weeks. Camellia could not accept it as coincidence, but she couldn’t make sense of it in the fog of panic and day time.

“Hello, Dagmar. Camellia needs to sign out.”

“Oh, I was wondering when you would.” The clerk smiled sweetly. “Both of your companions came by looking for you. They thought you might return to your ship.”

“Just so,” Cahir quickly agreed with a smile. “Thank you.”

Camellia signed out. She stole a look at the clerk’s jewelry. A complex charm bracelet dangled from the woman’s wrist, and any of the circular charms could have been the seal.

The clerk unlocked the front door. Cahir exited and beckoned Camellia. She followed. Leaving the library was step one in her plan to escape.

Without watching them go, Dagmar shut the door. Cahir behaved casually as he strolled down the steps. He headed for a wooded walk. Camellia looked towards the ship, but did not see Eva or Meladee. Faustina’s security measures remained intact, suggesting that neither woman had boarded. Just as the lock clicked, Camellia hopped off the steps and took off in the opposite direction from Cahir. She cleared the corner of the library when Cahir called her name, “Camellia!”

1