Chapter 16: Aria and Sotir in Space
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aria wandered the halls of the brand-new spaceship Ischyros. She hated new ships, and this one must have been straight from the yard. Scaldin ships possessed twisting halls and an overall strange design that was tweaked with each model. Aria didn’t know what the rationale was for the changes, but the inconsistencies in design didn’t bother her as much as the inconsistencies in aura.

Ship builders had to be some of the most enthusiastic Scaldin alive. Their auras soaked the ships and stuck around long after the builders had gone. To make matters worse, the builders clearly loved certain parts of the ships more. A new bridge presented a nightmarish glare of light while the living quarters often seemed dim, dim enough for Aria to see the berths almost as others did. To her eyes, the lack of aura made them seem dark and a bit spooky.

Crew members added their own light. New ships made them excited too.

Old ships evened out. As people got used to them, their enthusiasm for the giant space-faring toys dimmed, and the ships absorbed more balanced hues.

Unfortunately, the Ischyros had a ways to go. Many were still impressed and excited by the new technology, and as Aria lost herself near Weaponry, she squinted her eyes to escape the light. Weapons always excited someone.

Weapons also happened to be a busy space, where someone might happen by. Aria stopped. She closed her eyes tight, put a hand on the wall, and waited. Someone would see her distress and offer rescue.

A few minutes later, Aria sighed. Would no one wander this hall? “I’m lost in the good ship Ischyros.”

It served her right. She left without saying good-bye to Pan.

The sound of footsteps halted and came to Aria’s side. Aria felt relief flood her being from her scalp to her toes.

“Lost? That makes two of us. I swear this model has been entirely redesigned.” The voice came from a man – a lost man.

Aria didn’t tense, but her relief and hope died before they bloomed. Slowly, she opened her eyes. Through the glare of weapon-related fervor, she saw the newcomer’s person. He wore an aura of purple, yellow, and grey. Underneath, she saw handsome features, grey skin, and deep grey hair.

Again, Aria closed her eyes. She remembered his aura and studied it in her mind’s eye. She thought the man’s yellow denoted happiness or friendliness. The purple suggested confidence. It lacked the delicacy of mischief but also didn’t display the strong shade associated with pride. The grey led credence to his claim of being lost. It crept up from his feet and threatened to take over.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

Aria felt a light touch on her shoulder.

“I’m fine. It’s just very bright in this area.” Aria kept her eyes closed.

“Aria...the aura reader? I’m Gavain Alpian. I’m serving as ambassador.” Gavain paused and waited. Then, before Aria could speak, he took her hand. “Sorry. I forgot you had your eyes closed.” He shook her hand.

Aria laughed. “Can you steer me out of here, please? Preferably towards quarters. They’re much dimmer.” She would also be able to study him without interference.

“I may not be able to find quarters, at least not specially mine or yours, but I can get us away from here.” With care, Gavain took her arm. He began to lead her out. “Do you read Soffigen auras often?”

“Yes, of course. Aside from Scaldin, Soffigen are the species I stare at most.” Aria concentrated on the feel of Gavain’s arm to get an idea of how fit he might be.

Gavain cleared his throat. “What do their auras look like?”

Aria said, “A bit brighter than ours. They glitter, but the color variations are no different. They’re similar to us really.”

“A lot of people can’t be happy to hear that.”

Gavain was right. Scaldin and Soffigen wanted to appear distinct from each other. Scaldin had arcanes. Soffigen did not. Soffigen had mottled, textured skin of varying colors. Scaldin were grey and white and black. Soffigen possessed a complex biology that changed as they aged. Scaldin considered themselves straightforward. Their differences wouldn’t have mattered if the Soffigen didn’t exhibit such paranoia towards arcanes. Meanwhile, the Scaldin could stand to drop some of their smugness.

“We’re already outside our own space.” Gavain sounded wary.

“We were invited, right?”

“Well, not exactly.” Gavain stopped. “Here we are. You can open your eyes.”

Aria lifted her lids. She blinked. The hall they inhabited was dark. Actually, it was normal, with a light haze of aura. Aria smiled. He’d accomplished her request with gusto. Now, she had a clear opportunity to study him. She set her eyes on Gavain.

Gentle yellow interwove with threads of purple confidence. The grey remained in his aura, but Aria began to think it was a natural part of his ecosystem. His aura proved thin enough, and she looked beneath.

Aria liked what she saw. He seemed a few years older than her, but probably not more than seven or eight. He had dark grey hair and above-average height. That was good. Aria stood at five foot six. She wanted a tall man, though she wasn’t married to the idea. He was neither very skinny nor very muscular. Aria thought of him as just right. She’d put him on her list – provided he proved willing.

Aria’s list of men had grown long. She showed them favor in the hopes that one of them would take the bait and rescue her from a life of endless work. Pan might get a break here or there, but Aria’s work just kept speeding up. Aria had no hope for a reprieve, except first retirement, and she would use every second of it, until she had to return to her duties. Did the Scaldin really need so many auras read? Or were they just trying to get the most out of Aria?

Gavain’s aura reached for her, and his confidence faded from deep purple to light. He might have something clever in mind. His yellow flushed from a friendly shade to one of curiosity and possibly amusement.

Aria had stared overlong. It was fine. It would play into her message.

“We’re very lost.” Gavain gestured to the surrounding hall.

Aria looked. She saw grey walls with grey haze. The space was tighter than main pathways. “Oh no. I hope we don’t have to backtrack.”

“Eh.” Gavain shrugged. He glanced back and forward, craning his neck. His aura echoed the movement. It reached ahead and behind. He looked up at the ceiling as if searching for a different way out. His aura reached high as well.

“I’m not going through vents in this dress,” Aria chided him.

“Oh, really?” Lavender tickled his aura.

Aria liked lavender. She’d grown quite used to it.

“Aria,” Sotir called.

Aria startled to hear her fellow arcane’s voice.

Sotir strode. He traveled the path from which they’d come. He stopped beside them and nodded at Gavain. “Ambassador.” Then, Sotir turned his attention to Aria. “I was on my way to my room when I decided to find you. You’re very out of the way. We need to talk. Can you come with me?”

Aria studied Sotir’s aura. His green morphed into blue, and his yellow hid behind greyish-purple. Aria found it a difficult read. Judging from the sound of his voice, she thought he might be worried, but he betrayed no colors of anxiety.

“I can come with you.” Aria gave a short nod. “I’m only here because the weapons area was bright enough to blind me.” Aria gestured between herself and Gavain. “We’re both lost.”

“I’m not. Follow me.” Sotir took Aria’s arm and pulled her back towards weapons.

Aria glanced at Gavain. She saw barely controlled green roll over his friendly yellow. Jealous? With tendrils of emerald, he reached for Aria. Aria’s eyes grew wide. Gavain was giving her a lot to work with.

Gavain leaned close. “What are you…?”

Sotir interrupted, “Just before we got out of range, I tried to check up on Scaldigir.”

Aria waited. She prodded Sotir with her free arm.

He still didn’t answer.

“And?” Aria prompted.

Sotir put a hand to his head. “Everything I saw was vague. It was like a disjointed dream or scattered scenes from an art film.” Sotir shrugged. “I’m not sure, but I think whatever is about to happen will involve a handful of the younger arcanes, including...Pan. It’ll be dark and risky.”

Aria’s heart seemed to skip a beat. “Is this related to your first prediction?”

Sotir frowned. “No. That’s something entirely different. That was…I still don’t want to talk about it.” Sotir drew a long breath. “When we get back in range, I’m going to try again, but this job is important, I can’t just ask the Ischyros’ Commander to turn around.” Sotir bowed his head.

In silence, Aria and Sotir walked arm in arm. Ahead, blinding light beckoned. Aria closed her eyes.

She took the time, free from distractions, to think about Sotir’s predictions and what they implied. Pan just couldn’t stay out of danger. This time, at least, she wouldn’t be on her own. Aria ached to know all the young arcanes involved with Sotir’s new vision. A few she wouldn’t mind to see in some kind of danger. Mother Tree knew that some of them deserved it.

The other thing on Aria’s mind was the job at hand. She needed to evaluate Soffigen during their discussions, and she had no idea what those discussions would involve. Sotir and Gavain seemed to know, but no one had told Aria. It was typical. Aria always found out last, and she always just let it go. There was no point wasting her energy on something she couldn’t fix.

Gavain’s voice spoke close to Aria’s ear. “We’re out of the weapon’s area. You might try opening your eyes.”

Aria took his advice. She blinked and saw a bright but visible hall. “Oh, yes. That’s much better.”

Sotir released her arm.

Gavain fell into step beside her. “I don’t know what you’re concerned about, but I figured I might ask. Is there something going on with the Arcane organization?”

Aria and Sotir exchanged a glance.

“You can explain it,” Sotir said.

Aria took Gavain’s arm. She smiled at the ripple of pink in his aura. “To answer your question…We have an arcane friend on Scaldigir. Her name is Pan, and Sotir received a concerning fortune regarding her. He couldn’t see her future, which means she might die, experience an...extreme change in location, or a life-changing decision.”

“That’s not related,” Sotir huffed.

Aria bowed her head. “Sorry. Well, Pan is involved in another of Sotir’s visions. He saw something new, and this time it involves several young arcanes and…danger.”

“That doesn’t sound good.” Gavain’s aura mirrored his words in shades of grey.

“I wish we had more time. I could do a complete read, get a clearer vision.” Sotir stared ahead. “If I hadn’t been so busy writing colony time trees, I could have looked at the timeline in detail.”

“Hmmm.” Gavain’s aura sent pink threads over Aria. “I hope your friend will be alright, but we really can’t turn around.”

“Thank you. I hope she will be too.” Aria watched her own aura. It looked a deeper shade of blue but still within the range of her normal. She tried to make it reach for Gavain, but it didn’t happen. It took a long while for Aria’s aura to get up and leave her person. It was a practical, efficient thing.

Aria cast her gaze down. “What exactly are we doing out here?”

Gavain startled. “Oh, you don’t know? We’re going to have a discussion about…bodies.”

“Bodies?” Aria’s annoyance evaporated, and her heart fluttered.

Sotir answered, “The bodies of arcanes. The Soffigen captured and held them, since the last war. We need to get the bodies back and determine if they’ve been tampered with.”

Aria didn’t want to deal with bodies. That should be Pan’s problem. They should have sent her along, even if a ghost attached to the bodies might be a long shot. Then, she’d be safe.

Aria frowned. “What do they need me for?”

“To read Soffigen auras and those on the bodies, of course.” Sotir regarded her with the hint of a smile.

Gavain wrapped his arm tight around hers. “We believe the Soffigen have studied what makes an arcane…well – arcane. We’d like to know how much the Soffigen have learned.”

Aria watched Gavain’s aura play against hers. She found it comforting. At least, she would find Gavain an easy project. He made it so. Wait till Pan hears about him. I wonder what she’ll think…and I wonder what she’ll think about me studying bodies.

Aria lifted her face to Sotir’s. “What do they need your help with?”

“I’m supposed to do a read backwards and forwards. I’ll look back and see if anyone mishandled the bodies. Which seems inevitable, given how long they had them. I’ll look forwards to see if they’ve learned anything…history shaping.”

Aria knit her brow. “What could they possibly learn that could change history?”

Gavain sighed. “How to make a Soffigen arcane for one. They might learn things we didn’t know. Soffigen make studies of biology an art form. Unfortunately, they happen to be interested in us.”

Aria felt a thrill of under-confidence, but she had Sotir with her. He was two years older, two years wiser, and possessed a rare, powerful ability. Together, they could help the ambassador figure it out. They’d get the bodies, and they’d see if the Soffigen learned anything that could be used to combat their arcanes. Then, they’d rescue Pan, and Aria knew Sotir would put his whole heart into that. It was all very manageable.

Aria reached for Sotir’s arm. She touched him lightly. “By any chance did you see which other arcanes would be involved with whatever is happening back home?”

Sotir stopped. He stood by his room. Aria recognized it by its aura, similar to Sotir’s. She saw her quarters next door.

Sotir straightened. “Actually, I did see a few other faces. Ruair, Uda, Hagen, and a couple of very young arcanes – Lita and Merit. You wouldn’t know the young ones.”

“But you do?” Aria asked.

He nodded. “I go to the ward and meet every new arcane. I need to know the faces in my visions.”

Aria felt the sting of inadequacy. Sotir was a good deal better than she if he faced the ward several times a year. She put it out of her mind and thought about the people he listed.

Uda could face danger a thousand times, and Aria wouldn’t bat an eye. Aria didn’t care for Uda and didn’t think she ever would. Ruair was nice enough, a simple healer. Aria rather liked him before she learned that arcanes were supposed to pick strangers for their spouses. She nipped that little crush in the bud. Hagen distressed Aria. He could see into people’s dreams, so Aria made herself uninteresting to him. Aria would breathe a little easier if he found himself occupied off planet, but she wouldn’t wish actual danger on him.

Aria titled her head. “Ruair, Uda, and Hagen. They have nothing in common.”

“They’re arcane. They have that in common.” Sotir’s aura grew thin. He stared hard.

Aria looked away. She set her eyes across the hall and saw Gavain. He stood by his door. His aura harbored two shades of yellow, one sickly, another deep.

“I’ll see you both later,” she said. Then, she went inside her room. Away from their eyes, she hoped that whatever happened on Scaldigir, it wasn’t history shaping.

1