Kara’s Answer
778 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So, Miss Kent." This attracted the attention of the blonde superheroine. "What do you think is the answer to my previously asked question?" 

*Slurp*

She slurped the entire smoothie in one go… maybe it's her superhero ability?

"*Burp* Sorry." This made Baraba frown and mutter 'manners' quite softly.

"I think that we are all evil because we all have committed some sort of a crime at least once in our life." Hoo… Interesting.

"Please elaborate."  

She nodded. "We might be considered the good guys but we cannot deny the fact that we committed at least one crime in our lives… knowingly or unknowingly. Let it be stealing candy or lying… we did at least one evil thing in our lives." 

"This-"

Barbara was impressed by this but I ended up laughing. The laughter caused the maids to send me angry looks. 

"You are indeed correct, Miss Kent." My laughter stopped after a few seconds. "But that is not exactly the answer that I was looking for."

She tilted her head. "So, I am wrong?"

"No." I instantly rejected her conclusion. "You might not have come up with the perfect answer, but you still managed to give me a satisfactory answer." I smiled. "So, this treat is on me. Order whatever you like."

Kara's eyes shone brightly as I said that. "Really!"

"Really." She might be considered an adult age-wise but she is still childish in some aspects… but that doesn't mean she is stupid.

I expected Barbara to find a satisfactory answer and not Kara. And so, Kara finding the answer did come as a surprise. 

"So… Professor?" Barbara brought my attention to her.

"Yes, Miss Gordon?"

She nodded. "You said that it was a satisfactory answer but not exactly what you were looking for. So… what is the correct answer?" 

This made me adopt a kind smile. "Now, if I give you the answer. It will be unfair for the rest of the kids. Wouldn't it be?" 

She nodded. "Yeah. *Sigh* I am sorry for asking." 

I shook my head. "I cannot give you the answer but I can give you a hint." Kara was not bothered by our conversation and she was enjoying her sundae.

"Yes, please." Barbara nodded vigorously.

"Tell me, Miss Gordon. When a villain commits a crime, he is considered evil and when a hero stops the villain he is considered the good guy. Why is that?" 

This made her look at me weirdly. "Well, it's simple. It's because when a villain commits a crime, it harms other people and he does things which are not morally accepted… Thus he is considered evil. And since the hero stops them, they stop the crime which can harm others. So they are considered as the good guys."

I smiled. "Indeed." I sat silently for a few moments. "But why do the heroes never kill the villains?"

This made even Kara stop focusing on her sundae. Barbara instantly answered. "Because if they kill the villains, they won't be any different from those murderers… those villains." 

Her answer made me sigh. "Answer me something, Miss Gordon. You know who the Joker is right?"

This confused her a little. "Yes, I do. But why did you ask about him?"

"Tell me. How many times did the Batman throw him into prison and how many times did Joker manage to escape?" Barbara frowned.

"A… lot of times. But-" I stopped her mid-sentence.

"How many people did he kill, rape, and torture after escaping prison?" 

"Countless." This time it was Kara who answered. "But that doesn't mean that we should kill him. Everyone can be reformed. And those who cannot be reformed are locked away… not killed. Joker is one of those."

Foolish.

"That is not always true, Miss Kent." She frowned. "There are people whom even God cannot change."

"Then weren't they also the creation of God? Aren't they the necessary evil that he created to maintain the balance?" This made me laugh.

"True. Evil is necessary for the survival of the good. There is indeed necessary evil… but someone like the Joker is not one of them." 

"Bu-" *Sigh*

I sighed loudly which made her quiet. "Have you heard of the evil act that the Joker committed last month?" I was not here when that happened… or I could have interfered. "The joker burnt 36 children… alive just to draw Batman's attention. And don't you think that it could all have been solved if… Batman disposed of the Joker?"

Their eyes widened. "Mr. Hardy… Are you-"

"Indeed. I am talking about killing him. And that is your hint." I stood up. "You have to figure out why heroes don't kill villains… find the reason for that action. And once you do, you will have the answer to my question." I showed one last smile. "And I have paid the bill, don't worry about it."

With that, I left the cafe… leaving behind two girls lost in thought and with frowns on their beautiful faces.

[02:14]

[Gotham Academy]

"Sitting at the top and enjoying the scenery is quite refreshing isn't it?" Selina said and took the spot beside me. We were both at the top of the Gotham Academy.

"Yeah. And equally disturbing." I said looking at a man murdering a woman in a dark alleyway. 

Selina raised an eyebrow. "You didn't save her? In the past, despite being a villain, you used to save the innocents… which many other villains frowned upon."

"Indeed." I released a sigh. "I used to think that I could save the good people in the past. I thought starting small would be enough to save millions later. But guess what? I was wrong." I looked at the running man. "Even if I save a few, millions more will die. It won't make any difference… I am tired of having such ideals." I looked at her. "I tired, Selina… But it made no difference."

Selina frowned. "What makes you think that it made no difference? It might have."

I shook my head. "What I saw and went through within those seven years, made me believe in my point, Selina. Whatever, I did… made no difference in the end."

"What do you mean?"

My hands shook… along with my body. "I have seen things, Selina… things far worse than any human could imagine." I shuddered."I have seen things that I am not allowed to tell anyone." 

"Not allowed to tell others? What do-"

"Don't ask." Some things are not meant to be said. "I am unable to answer." I looked at her. "Leave."

"But I-"

"Please, Selina. I need some time alone." I really do.

She nodded and left me alone. "I need to calm down. *Sigh*"

20