Chapter 1: Not In Texas Anymore
88 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Mhm..." A low groan left the cracked lips of a man laying in the middle of a dirt road.

 

 

He wore a leather duster over a vest and shirt, trousers covered halfway with leather chaps and tall boots with gold spurs.

 

 

His face showed a young man in his late 20's, with a sharp jaw, straight nose, narrow blue eyes and shoulder length matted blonde hair.

 

 

He would be rather handsome if he wasn't covered in layers of unwashed sweat, dirt and oil.

 

 

After a few minutes the man groaned once more as he sat up.

 

 

Kane rubbed his forehead tiredly as his hazy eyes slowly came into focus. He inspected his surroundings with a raised brow.

 

 

"Where the hell am I?" Kane muttered in a dry voice. "Those damned lawmen don't seem to be around...neither the oilfield.."

 

 

He was currently in the middle of a 3 meter wide dirt road, bordering it was a sparse forest. Considering that Kane was previously in a desert before, this place he was in now was truly baffling to him.

 

 

He reached into his vest pocket and pulled out a smoke and box of matches. Kane pulled out a match from the box as he put the smoke to his lips.

 

 

Just as he was about to light it, he noticed the oil on his hands and coat.

 

 

"Tsk!" Kane scowled as he put his smoke away. He grabbed the leather hat that had fallen beside him and put it on.

 

 

Slowly standing to his feet, Kane stretched his back causing a few audible cracks.

 

 

"I need to get to a town and find out where I am." Kane thought as he turned his head and looked at the road.

 

 

Reaching into his trouser pocket, he pulled out a gold coin. Flipping it, it landed on the face of a man.

 

 

"That way it is then." Kane picked a direction and began walking, his spurs making clink sounds with every step.

 

 

After about half an hour, Kane was startled by a loud beastly roar.

 

 

The trees nearby trees shook as something drew closer.

 

 

Kane's eyes narrowed as a wary expression appeared on his face. "A wild beast!? Could it be one of those big cats?"

 

 

Reaching into his holsters, he pulled out his trusty colt revolvers bonnie and belle. They shone silver in the sunlight.

 

 

Aiming his revolvers, Kane saw a figure galloping through the trees.

 

 

A young man in white robes rode upon a horse. He had an expression of worry, pain and fatigue. Staining his robe was blood.

 

 

Just as he was about to clear the forest and reach the road, a shadow leaped out and struck the horse.

 

 

"Neigh!" The horse screamed as it's leg and some of it's rear was torn off.

 

 

The young man jumped off the horse and fell to the ground, several feet from Kane.

 

 

Kane's eyes opened wide in disbelief. "Jesus Christ! What in damnation is that!!" 

 

 

Before him was a six meter long floating snake. It's shiny grey scales had blue aura seeping out.

 

 

The young man saw Kane and shouted in words he couldn't understand. There was panic in his voice and a hint of pity in his eyes.

 

 

"I don't understand no french boy." Kane growled as he kept his gaze firmly locked onto the snake. "Is that a devil snake? Is this hell?"

 

 

The strange snake had utterly frightened Kane. He had heard a few stories from the bible, including the one with the apple.

 

 

Making up conclusions, Kane started to believe he was in hell, otherwise how could explain the flying snake?

 

 

"Is this atonement for my sins?" Kane gulped nervously.

 

 

The flying snake's large yellow eyes stared at him like one would prey. It slithered it's tongue, tasting the air. The snake seemed to be overjoyed with the three meals before it.

 

 

Slowly it inched it's way forward, it's neck tucked and ready to strike.

 

 

"No! I've still got my guns, I can still fight! I'm not going to lay down a die!" Kane growled.

 

 

Gritting his teeth, Kane's shaking hands slowly steadied. He took a deep breath and said. "I'm gonna turn you into boots you damned snake!"

 

 

Seemingly provoked by Kane's remark, the snake's eyes narrowed into points as it lunged forward with blinding speed.

 

 

The young man shouted once again, perhaps to draw the attention of the snake but it was futile. The snake had already recognized that he was no threat and proceeded to attack the last remaining variable.

 

 

Just as the snake was about to reach him, Kane fired both of his revolvers.

 

 

Two loud booms echoed throughout the forest, and it was following by the pained roar of the snake.

 

 

On the ground, the snake wriggled violently as it screamed in pain. Blood poured from it's eyes making for a gruesome sight.

 

 

The young man had his mouth agape with surprise flashing in his eyes.

 

 

Kane spat as he put his boot on the snake's head, holding it firmly in place.

 

 

Cocking the hammer on his revolver, Kane pointing the barrel at the fallen snake's exposed eyehole.

 

 

"There ain't no naive boys or girls here for you to mislead demon snake, only a sinner." Pulling the trigger, the hammer struck down.

 

 

A loud bang once again startled the young man as he saw the snakes brains splatter against the dirt, it wriggling body falling limp.

 

 

Staring at the strange weapon in the man's hands, his eyes sparkled.

 

 

Kane kicked the snake a couple of times to make sure it was dead before gasping in relief.

 

 

Stepping over the snake corpse, he walked over to the young man.

 

 

"French boy, you alright?" Kane reached out his hand.

 

 

The young man smiled with an excited expression as he grabbed Kane's hand and stood up.

 

 

He spoke, but it might as well have been gibberish because Kane couldn't understand a single word.

 

 

Kane frowned in frustration as he gestured with his hands. "Boy! You speak english?"

 

 

The young man nodded his head happily as he pointed to the snake and spoke more "french" words.

 

 

Kane rolled his eyes and sighed. "This is gonna be a long day.."

4