Chapter 7.5: Syonan-to or Singapore? V2
63 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[DISCLAIMER: This chapter is what occurred before the events of Chapter 7, observing what lead to the mentioned chapter] 

Syonan-to (Japanese Occupied Singapore), Singapore Naval Base.

"Welcome to Syonan, your excellency." Lt.General Takuro Matsui said with a smile. He stepped forward and grasped the outstretched hand presented to him by the Indian Minister of External Affairs dressed in a business suit topped with a red turban.

On cue the IJA Military band began playing a welcoming tune for the Delegation.

Another man to join General Takuro was Rash Bihari Bose, a leading figure from the Indian Independence League, a Japanese supported political organisation led by Indian expatriates, and Indian nationalists in-exile.

Bose couldn’t contain his joy as he also shook the hands of the Indian Minister of External Affairs. He couldn't contain his tears as he heard the news of his homeland’s liberation from the British scourge. As requested by the Imperial Japanese government, he joined the Japanese delegation and was immediately flown to Syonan (Singapore) to set up for the meeting. His job in the delegation was simple: to convince the new Indian government to support the Japanese, and their ideals of Pan Asianism, to unite against the Europeans and make Asia free of European and American domination.

As introduction and pleasantries were exchanged, Bose wondered about the head of the delegation from his homeland. He felt a bit odd when he heard the man’s name. From what he knew, there was no one called Upinder Singh in the higher echelons of the Indian National Congress who were leading the freedom struggle back home. This individual not only was leading the delegation but was holding the post of the Minister of External Affairs in the Indian Government. This again confused him. After all, he could think of people such as Jawaharlal Nehru or Lal Bahadur Shastri who would serve this role much better. Ultimately, Rash Behari Bose decided that he was being too harsh towards a person he hadn't known for more than an hour. He concluded that the man must be a well-educated, former employee of the Imperial Civil Service.


But Rash Behari Bose was not the only one confused. Like him, his Imperial Japanese colleague was also similarly confused as he shook hands with an older Japanese man called Ishitami Taiga who was oddly also part of the Indian delegation. From what he understood following the short introduction, Taiga-san represented the Japanese diaspora living in India.

Meanwhile photojournalists from the IJA and IJN took pictures of the ceremony, primarily focusing on General Takuro, Bose and head of the delegation. An IJA Camera crew filmed the entire event from atop a flatbed truck. Specifically taking wider shots of the advanced looking Cruise ship with the name “Agariya” the Indian Delegation had used to sail from India.


The film crew also took blurry shots of Agariya’s Naval escorts from the supposed new Indian Navy, which remained at a considerable distance from the Port. 

"Thank you, Lieutenant General Matsui and Mr. Bose, for the warm welcome." Singh said with a diplomatic smile as he masked his astonishment at one of the great revolutionaries, Rash Bihari Bose, standing in front of him, and shaking his hands. Bose nodded and smiled back, and Matsui did the same after his translator translated Singh’s words for him.

“And we, the proud subjects of the emperor and the liberated people of Syonan, also express our delight in welcoming the delegates from a nation which has shown its mettle by breaking the shackles of Western Imperialism with its own force of arms.”

After a few more photographs were taken by the press and a shower of flowers from leading   civilian figures and supporters, primarily from the Indian diaspora in Singapore. The Delegation along with their security detail were escorted to the cars that were waiting for them. For the Indians, these were expensive vintage models from the 1940s. The motorcade soon moved out of the port and into the streets of Singapore. The motorcade took the scenic route through the occupied city as the Japanese knowingly avoided going through the damaged sections of Singapore.

This was clear for Minister Singh as Taiga-san quietly briefed him about the Japanisation process of Singapore that had already begun. Chief of them being the Sook Ching Massacre masterminded by Colonel Masanobu Tsuji. On the surface level, not only did was the name of the city changed, every civilian establishment the motorcade passed was flying the flag of the rising sun Additionally, Hundreds of Singaporeans had lined up on the sidewalks waving the Japanese flag, but everyone part of the Indian Delegation could tell that something was off. Minister Singh could tell that all of this was just a charade being put upon by the Japanese. Being a career diplomat and a politician, he could see right through the facade, Singaporeans were forced to be here, very few of them were genuinely happy. Those were only the Indian residents and migrants.

However, the mood changed as the motorcade drew closer to the Governor’s Palace. Minister Singh’s eyes widened in shock as the flag waving common citizenry had been replaced by the Commonwealth Prisoners of War who had surrendered to the Japanese forces when Singapore fell. They were being made to stand at either side of the road and behind them, the Indian delegation could clearly see soldiers of the IJA pointing their bayonet-affixed rifles at the backs of the POWs

They were all made to stand in attention regardless of their physical condition. The Indian delegation was finding it to be very hard to watch even men with one leg being forced to join as well. Later on, when Singapore was liberated and the surviving Commonwealth POWs were rescued, it would be discovered that these men were given two choices: Stand to greet the delegation of Indian Rebels and bear the humiliation or die. Those who refused were beheaded or shot and thrown in ditches outside POW camps in Malaya in full view of the others as a warning about the price of defiance.

Meanwhile in the present, Minister Singh quickly took out the smartphone, which he had been given by RAW (many of whom were also part of the delegation under the cover of bureaucrats of the Ministry of External Affairs) and began recording. R.B Bose, who was also sitting with him in the car, raised an eyebrow when he noticed the contraption in Minister Singh’s hand and wondered what he was holding.

He thought to himself "Is that some kind of spy camera?”

Despite the camera being openly handled by the Sikh gentlemen, he concluded that it was a new and expensive American gadget of some kind and External Affairs Minister Singh had to be wealthy and influential enough to get those.

‘If possible, I should get one as well’ R.B. Bose thought to himself.

At the same time a team of Indian journalists that were attached to the delegation and were travelling with the security detail on their truck, took their sweet time filming and documenting everything on the way, skillfully capturing the faces of despair of many Singaporeans from all walks of life and the sorry state the POWs were in. It was taking their full willpower to not make any loud comments or express their disbelief at what they were seeing.

Arriving at the Grand Government House, the delegation made their way inside and were shown to the conference hall where the Imperial Japanese Delegation was waiting for them. Many Scholars and Historians in the future would consider this summit as a historic event where the fate of Southeast Asia and the Japanese Hegemony in the region was decided upon.

 

---[-]---

 

Government House of Singapore, Conference Hall

 

Ishitami Taiga blankly stared at his countrymen from a different time. However, mentally, he couldn’t lie that he was very nervous about this meeting. Everything about what the representatives of the Empire had done so far for them just reeked of deception. Of course, they weren’t bothering with the effort when it came to humiliating the POWs of the Commonwealth Forces. His heart went out for those men and he prayed for their health. While he did not know what Minister Singh thought about that display, he prayed that he was not fine with it. Position on the British Empire was one thing, but to be apathetic to the men who were doing their duty is something else entirely. He consoled himself by remembering the look of shock and disbelief the representatives of the Indian Armed Forces had worn when they saw the state of those POWs, and the way they constantly looked at each other while giving imperceptible nods in the negative to each other gave him hope. For what, he didn’t know yet. 

As the meeting continued, Ishitami could not help but wonder why the Indian Minister of External Affairs was nodding on to every demand the Imperials were putting forward, without any counter proposals or pushback. Was this the official position of the Government of India? Or was he trying to score political points for the crowd back home in front of the TV cameras because Indians hate the British Empire? He didn’t know what was going on. All he knew was, his predecessor would have already laid down the law with his countrymen from a different time, just as that man had done to the entire West during the Russian-Ukraine War. This submissiveness or wilful ignorance to the fact that the Japanese he may be used to dealing with are not the Japanese of the State of Japan, would be exploited to the fullest extent by the representatives of the Empire of Japan. Ishitami hoped that there was a plan underway to which he was not privy to. Especially since the National Security Advisor of India also accompanied Minister Singh for this trip and he was the epitome of Inner Peace, calmly watching everyone and listening to what they were saying. It reminded him of Micheal Corleone from The Godfather 2.

However, Ishitami wasn’t the only one questioning what was going on. General Tomouki Yamashita was also smelling a rat in this entire charade his country had come up with. Theoretically, despite having a large pool of manpower to draw its soldiers from, still had its soldiers fighting in all fronts of this global conflict. Even he would agree with his theoretical British counterpart, that the guts, guile, steel, focus, commitment and sheer fucking will that the Indian soldiers were displaying from the jungles of Burma to the desert of Africa, always made his colleagues (whether from the Army or their Axis allies) wary of facing them in battle. Their bravery and courage had been recognised even during the First World War by the French and English, especially when the former built the Neuve-Chapelle Indian Memorial.

Point being, with the professional British Indian Army in far flung corners of the world and a supposed conclusion of a violent uprising against the British, he could not, for the life of himself, understand why the Government was jumping across hoops to impress them to such a ridiculous degree. The way it should be, is the government of this Indian State should be coming to them, hat in hand, begging for the protection of the Japanese Empire against British retribution. And while it was seemingly looking like that is exactly what was going on, he did not know why the Indian delegation were being coddled to such a massive degree to the point that they got Commonwealth POWs to gawk at their motorcade. Finally, the vessel they had arrived in and the rumours from the Navy about their naval escorts looking nothing like anything the British ever produced was also adding further doubt in his mind that the Government was aware of something else, and that he had not been given the full picture.

General Yamashita caught the eye of Foreign Minister Shigenori Togo and gave the man a subtle nod as he took out a cigar and lit it. Getting the final confirmation from the General allowed the Foreign Minister to propose the end of all hostilities between the Empire of Japan and the Republic of India in turn for complete withdrawal of Indian troops from Burma and the promise of repatriation of Indian POWs of the former British Indian Army. The assent from the Indian Minister, on the condition of Indian expatriates living in former British territories such as Hong Kong and Singapore with fairness and dignity, allowed General Yamashita to take a sigh of relief, which he disguised as him simply blowing the smoke of his cigar. With that matter dealt with, Shigenori glanced at R.B. Bose, who knew it was now his cue and began his piece.


“The Empire of Japan officially seeks the inclusion of the Republic of India into its Pan Asian Bloc, the Greater Asia Co Prosperity Sphere as a full fledged member and supports Japan in securing Asia for the Asians, free from Western Imperial control and future aggression against the infant republic.” 

The room became deadly silent at that request. Save for two people, the Indian delegation’s reaction ranged from surprise to confusion. by the sudden proposal. The two people who weren’t, was the uptime  Ambassador of the State of Japan to the Republic of India who was expecting this, just not so soon, and the National Security Advisor of India, a man who, for the Japanese Imperials was one they couldn’t read throughout the duration of this meeting, as he betrayed absolutely nothing on his face, and only now showed the first hint of a different expression. Mainly as how his eyes gleamed in the sunlight.

After adjusting himself on his seat and then a look at the NSA, Minister Singh spoke up. “And what are the benefits and drawbacks for joining the Co Prosperity sphere ?”

“As I have mentioned before, the Republic would be joining a Pan Asian Alliance that would be dedicated to securing and unifying Asia as a whole from the taint of evil colonisers from the west. Not to forget, a proper means to restart the crumbled Indian economy and industry which had been destroyed under the Colonizers foot. India will have a dramatic increase in trade which will benefit our nation. This will not be the British drain of wealth policy. India’s economy will grow along with the nations of the alliance and guided by the Empire of Japan.”

“How?” A new voice asked. It took R.B. Bose a minute to realise it was the Indian NSA who had spoken.

“I’m sorry?” R. B. Bose said in response.

“How would the Japanese Empire help us to restart our crumbling economy?” The NSA asked.

“Ah… Well… I’m not exactly sure about the specifics about that. But I’m sure Foreign Minister Shigenori would know more about it than I do.” R. B. Bose said, wisely, in the opinion of the Indian delegation, putting the Japanese Foreign Minister on the hot seat.

“Your offer intrigues me, Shigenori-san.” The NSA said. “Depending on how it sounds, I might be able to convince the Cabinet to go along with it.”

“Well to answer your question, a common currency will be issued for all members of the Sphere.” Foreign Minister Shigenori said.

“The Military Yen?” The NSA asked.

“A temporary measure for the duration of the war.” Foreign Minister Shigenori said. “The common currency will be backed by the Yen, which is itself backed by the Gold Standard.”

“So we will have to exchange our Rupees for Yens as the latter will be the reserve currency?” The NSA asked.

“That is correct.” Foreign Minister Shigenori said.

To that, Minister Singh gave a diplomatic nod. “That sounds amazing, gentlemen.” As he hid his distress on the sudden turn the meeting took. “But I am still concerned about the commitments we have to make to be part of this community?”

“Your nation will join our glorious cause in purging the Westerners from Asian soil.” This was answered by Colonel Masanobu Tsuji, the leading strategist of General Yamashita and a fanatic from the militarist faction.

The stunned expression on Upindar’s face from Tsuji declaration would later make him a popular internet meme.

“Elaborate that for us, would you, Colonel?”  Minister Singh and the NSA said together as the former recomposed himself but was failing to hide his discomfort from the changing mood. Sweat formed on his forehead as he waited for the reply.

“Yes of course.” The man replied without flinching, and instead gave a patronising smile to the Indian delegation. “India will continue its military operations against the British Empire and support our offensive by striking the Anglo Saxons from their rear and annihilating the Commonwealth forces once and for all. When that is done, we would like India to join the rest of our alliance in finally bringing order to the Barbarian Chinese lands and halting the Americans from regaining their colonial possessions in Asia.”

“Strike the Anglo-Saxons where?” The NSA asked. “As it was just agreed, the Indian Army fighting in Burma will retreat back to India’s border. Where else are you planning to hit the British?”

“Africa. Obviously.” Colonel Tsuji said. “To support our German and Italian allies.”

“And then you wish for us to join you in China and fight in the Pacific against the United States of America?” Minister Singh confirmed.

“Exactly.” Colonel Tsuji said with a grin.

At that moment, every member of the Indian delegation had one thought running through their heads. ‘Chutiya takla satiya gaya hai.’ (Translation: ‘The bald fuck has lost it.’)

“Gentlemen, I believe we have deviated a lot from the original purpose of this meeting.” Minister Singh said once he absorbed and digested what Tsuji, and by extension the Imperial Japanese wanted. “The reason why we are all sitting here, is to declare India’s position of neutrality in this global conflict. If I may be allowed to be crass, we don’t have a dog in this fight.”

“And to reinforce the Minister’s point, we will be willing to act as an intermediary for the Empire of Japan to reach a negotiated settlement with the Allied Powers that would allow you to keep your newly acquired territories and ensure the Oil Embargo is lifted.” The NSA of India said.

That drew a chuckle from General Yamshita. “Come now, gentlemen. You don’t have to hide that your nation is going through turmoil. You just went through a revolution, of course there would be people not happy to see things change. You do not have to worry about any future British retaliation. Once combat operations in Burma are completed, we will send divisions from the Imperial Japanese Army to garrison India from any British or even Soviet reprisals. Why, once you join the Co-Prosperity Sphere, the Soviet-Japanese Treaty will cover you as well. It’s just that in return we expect to be given temporary control of your air bases. Especially in the West. In addition…”  Tsuji stood up from his chair and pointed to a blown-up map of the Bay of Bengal. Specifically, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

“These island chains for our future operations in the Indian Ocean along with open access to your ports for supplies and repairs for our ships.”

“We will also send our experienced bureaucrats to Delhi who will advise and work closely with your new national government in rebuilding the civil service that would have broken down since the rebellion.” Foreign Minister Shigenori said with his best smile “In return of course the Co Prosperity Council would handle your foreign affairs as we all are one family and must be united in our goals.”

Silence reigned for more than a minute as the Indian delegation processed everything.

“So hold on. Let me get this straight.” The Indian NSA said. “In return for the Republic of India leasing its airbases and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands for an inordinate amount of time to allow for combat operations in, I assume Africa and the Indian Ocean, respectively, the Imperial Japanese Army will be sending divisions to defend us from any retaliation by the Allies, specifically the British?”

“That’s correct.” General Yamashita said, and the other members of the Imperial Japanese delegation nodded along.

“How many?” The NSA asked.

“How many?”

“How many Divisions? How many Army Groups? Do they have experience fighting against European nations? Will the Republic of India be expected to bear the costs to house, clothe and feed them? Will we have to make provisions for their entertainment?” The NSA rapidly asked, observing how the Imperial Japanese were realising that not everyone from the Indian delegation was on board with them. “These are some of the few questions I can think of right now. I’m sure I’ll think of some more later on.”

“All of which we can discuss at a later date.” General Yamashita dismissed, keenly watching the Indian Minister of External Affairs.

The Indian Foreign Minister came to a realisation of what the Empire of Japan actually wanted from his country.

He was ready for some diplomatic concessions to appease the Empire and secure India’s eastern border without further bloodshed. He believed like the uptime state of Japan, the Empire could be reasoned with. 

They were a factor that led to Indian independence. Even if that was only because they supported the INA and the 1946  mutiny in the British Indian Military gave the indication to the British that the Army could not be used in suppressing dissent, which hastened India’s independence. Japan’s contribution is even celebrated, a reason for the warm relations between the uptime State of Japan and Republic of India.

But what the Japanese of this time were trying to gain was no better than the British, No, even he had to admit it. It was much worse than the British. Had it truly been the case of India fighting a revolution and overthrowing the British, they would have simply exchanged one colonial overlord for another. This one is even worse through the disguise of the Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Minister Singh took a deep breath before he looked at Foreign Minister Shigenori in his eyes and gave his response.  .

 “India is not that weak as you perceive Mr. Shigenori, nor the Republic is going through a monumental nation breaking crisis, on the matter of fact we are more united than ever before.”

R.B Bose straightened in his seat, clearly noticing the venom in the Indian diplomat’s voice. He was not alone, the rest of the Imperial Japanese delegation  also noticed the shift in the tone of their Indian counterparts.

“As I have mentioned before, India doesn’t want any part in this global conflict and as such…” Upindar cleared his throat, "We humbly refuse to join the Co-prosperity Sphere as it will go against our non-aligned principles, India would like to continue having an Independent foreign policy. Furthermore we refuse to lease sovereign Indian territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. While we will allow Japanese civilian vessels to dock at Indian ports for fuel and supplies, on the matter of Naval vessels, the Imperial Japanese Government will be required to take prior permission to dock.”

This time it was for the Imperial Japanese delegation to be utterly shocked by the Indian rebuttal. Some already took this as an insult to Japanese generosity. B. Bose who has lived in Japan for decades understood the war hawks way of thinking and tried to minimise the damage caused by the refusal.

“Mr. Singh… What of the British Colonial forces still in India? You still need IJA support to defeat them.”

“Thank you for your concern, Mr. Bose, but the British are being taken care of as we speak. A ceasefire is expected to be declared by us as we have achieved all of our tactical and strategic objectives." The NSA said. "The Americans are already reaching out to the British and seeking to convince Winston Churchill himself to sign the final agreement between the Republic of India and the British Empire that would end the state of war that exists between our nations. If they seek to redeploy into Burma, they will not have any objections from us." 

“Is this some kind of a joke?” General Yamashita asked incredulously. “You are letting the British off the hook and letting them redeploy to Burma? Whose side are you on?!”

“On the side of Peace, General Yamashita. On the side of Peace.” Minister Singh replied “Something which your Government has just touted as a term to fool your own masses.”

Colonel Tsuji narrowed his eyes. “Watch your tone, Foreign Minister, you are crossing the line now.”

“You crossed it yourself Colonel Tsuji by asking us to give away our freedom in the name of Prosperity. What you are running is nothing short of a pyramid scheme that will exploit Asian countries of their resources and manpower to fuel your growing  war machine and its lust to subjugate this continent we call Asia.”

The entire Imperial Japanese delegation was stunned in silence. 

They were expecting a complacent nation that would be willing to follow their whims if nothing else, because the British response would be deadly. Instead, every expectation for this meeting was blown out of the water. This was not something a man like Colonel Tsuji was willing to tolerate, and in a fit of rage, he slammed the table with his fists.

“This is the last insult we will take from you! You dare refuse such a generous offer presented to your insignificant nation by the Emperor?! No Asian nation has been given this much leniency!”

“Your point?” The NSA shot back. “Were you expecting us to beg for your protection? Do you think we are not aware of the actual status of those countries under your ‘benevolent protection’? Do you think we are unaware about the war crimes you have conducted in the territories you occupy? Do you think we are unaware about the Sook Ching Massacre you had done right here in Singapore which included killing 150,000 Tamil Indians? Do you think we do not know how you have treated the men of the British Indian Army who are POWs? Forcing them to resort to cannibalism to suit your twisted fetishes?”

“That and much worse will happen to you scum if you do not comply with our demands.” Colonel Tsuji said.

“Is that a threat Colonel?”

“A promise.”

“Then we are done here.” Minister Singh declared as he stood up, quickly followed by the rest of the Indian delegation.

R.B. Bose frantically tried to stop them “Mr. Singh! I apologise on Colonel Tsuji’s behalf! Please calm down so we can try to come up with another arrangement.”

Upindar placed his hand on Bose’s shoulder and spoke in Hindi.

“The Japanese are too unreasonable, Mr. Bose. Had we truly overthrown the British the way they are thinking, they would seek to take it all away by replacing the British Raj with the Japanese Raj. I understand you have lived with them for a long time, and you have been fooled by the propaganda. But it is all a lie.”

“Are you questioning my devotion to our Motherland?” R. B. Bose asked. “And what do you mean had we truly overthrown the British? What are you talking about.”

“Then they have kept you in the dark then.” Minister Singh realised. “And to answer your question, no, Mr.Bose I know you love our nation. Maybe more than any of us Indians in this room. But what you are hoping for is simply wrong. This is not what you and many revolutionaries fought for back during the Independence movement.”

“What are you talking about?” Bose asked again, displaying his complete confusion.

The NSA took out his phone to show him the pictures of India from the future. He handed the phone to him to allow him to see it for himself. “Swipe left.” The NSA said. As R.B. Bose did as instructed, he saw  the clear pictures of futuristic looking cities with skyscrapers, monuments including the India Gate and the Governor’s Palace at Delhi with the Indian Tricolour flying proudly, including a couple of pictures of modern jets and advanced armoured vehicles with tricolour which shocked Bose. He even saw photos of the Indian Armed Forces of the future posing with the Armies of other nations during Joint Exercises which included the United States, France, Australia and the United Kingdom. What shocked him was one photo of Indians soldiers, who had the tricolour on their uniforms seemingly celebrating Diwali with soldiers of the British Army, who like the Indians, had the Union Jack stitched on their uniforms. Even Bose couldn’t deny that these Indian soldiers looked nothing at all like the Indian soldiers of the British Indian Army and in all those photos, he could tell the Indian soldiers were there as equals.

“We are not a nation still stuck in poverty with the mentality of the middle ages, Mr. Bose. We are a modern and growing Democracy.” Minister Singh said as handed him a small handy version of the Constitution of India Constitution. “A gift from me to one of the greatest revolutionaries our nation has ever had”

Bose kept his eyes fixated on the small book with ‘the Indian Constitution’ written over its cover oblivious to the bickering of the Modern and Imperial Japanese behind them.    

“…You all do not know what you have done! What our Homeland and our people are going to be made to suffer for your foolishness! Japan is going to be ravaged and brought to its knees! The Emperor disgraced and our proud cities will be in ruins and all of this will happen because YOU ARE GOING TO BE THE CAUSE OF IT! YOUR ARROGANCE HAVE DOOMED US ALL!" Ishitami Taiga roared in anger

"Silence!Defeatist, traitorous SCUM! If you weren't under diplomatic immunity, I would have gone ahead and cut your head off myself!" General Yamashita now yelled in fury, resting his hand on his ceremonial sword but stopped by his navy counterpart. 

"NOW GET OUT of my sight before I lose control of myself! You are not worthy to be called a Japanese! If you are then you should commit Harakiri right here and now for spouting such nonsense and be done with your worthless life!"

Ishitami, who was also fuming, turned around. "It is not me who is a traitor to our people. It is you who’s looking for excuses to stretch your forces all over the Pacific! And you just lost your best chance for peace! I hope we will not see each other again."

Ishitami stormed out of the room leaving only the Imperial Japanese and R.B Bose in the room. Soon, the Indian delegation left the port and returned back to India unmolested. 

The recording of this summit would be played in its entirety on all Indian news channels, significantly turning public opinion against the Japanese Empire. Additionally, while initially nationalists were ecstatic about the appearance of a figure such as Rash Behari Bose, him advocating on behalf of the Japanese, whose war crimes were well-known even in India, just didn’t feel right to even the most fanatic Indian nationalist. Meanwhile, External Affairs Minister Upindar Singh would go down in history as a controversial person, a man who wanted peace with the Imperial Japanese, but also became the first person who lectured a Imperial Japanese General and dangerous war criminals on how the Co Prosperity Sphere was nothing but a sham to be assimilated into the Empire.

Unfortunately, his bold words also sealed the fate of a lot of expatriate Indians in Malaya and other occupied territories in the Japanese Empire. Many who had been safe from Japanese aggression so far were now subjugated to the same suffering of many others under the boots of IJA.

Rash Behari Bose himself did not return to Japan. The photos and words of MEA Singh would constantly run around his head. The first night following the summit, the IJA made good on their promise and screams and gunfire could be heard across the city throughout the night. In addition, Bose could see fires raging in the areas heavily populated by the Indian diaspora. For more than a month, the remaining citizens of Singapore saw their Indian neighbours being stuffed into trucks and driven away, or cruelly shot in the street, before being bayoneted, and no one had the guts to clear their corpses. This only served to grow the hatred of the locals against the Japanese occupiers, and if the war dragged on, the Japanese would face more attacks from anti-Japanese resistance fighters.

Bose knew that if he was anyone else, he would be suffering just like the other Indians whom he could not help despite wanting to. It was only because of the goodwill he had from many members of the Japanese elite that had instead turned Singapore into a gilded cage where he was constantly monitored by the Kempeitai. To ensure he would not try escaping, his minders would even bring his daughter to the city and transfer his son to a unit fighting in Burma.

 
 
 
1