I 1
535 0 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I start with a jolt causing me to sit up in bed instantly on alert. I try to calm my racing heart and gasping breath, as I try to pin point the culprit that disturbed my sleep. I look around the dark room and the only presence that I can find is Melodiana sleeping in her bed a few feet away.

I notice that I have a death grip on the dagger that ended up in my hand and I force myself to loosen up before I start to cramp. Its weight is comforting and i rub the grip under my thumb and flex my fingers to restore feeling to them. As I start to calm down I remember the hazy shape of a familiar face watching me through the darkness of my sleep.

It was likely a young boy, no older than nine. He was a little chubby if I remember right, and he used to have bright blue eyes under that mop of muddy brown hair. He just stared at me blankly, accusing me, as blood slowly trickled out of his mouth. He visits me more often than the others.

I can't seem to recall his name though, and i rack my brain for a moment. I'm sure I used to know it but it seems to have long since eluded me... or perhaps I simply chose to forget.

I flop myself back down on my bed with a sigh and stare up into the pitch black. I roll over and tuck the dagger back in its sheathe between the mattresses, before I close my eyes and wait for sleep to come again, but after a bit I sigh and gently roll out of bed.

My bare feet step across the old floor as the cold air in the room gently brushes up my back sending shivers across my body. I open the door as quietly as I can and leave it just slightly open as i step out into the hall. I look around and listen for a moment but the house is silent so I walk towards the sitting room.

“Damn ghosts,” I yawn as I move towards the couch, “Won't let me sleep in peace.” There isn't even a response from Shiva so she must be sleeping as well.

I pause on my way and move to the fireplace and light a small fire to fight off the chill of the night. I quickly retreat and I lay down on the couch where I can stare into the low burning flames. They cast long shadows across the room that flicker and lick at the corners of my vision, and claw at the wall.

I pull the small blanket off the back of the couch and place it across my legs, and try to at least rest since sleep rarely comes on a night like this.

As I stare at the flames I hear what sounds like a child running on wood from somewhere else in the house and my blood runs cold, and I quiet my breathing and listen.

After several minutes I don't hear anything else so I just shrug it off as nerves and turn back to the fireplace.

28