22.
425 2 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“She is fine,” the young Nightingale tells Captain Bargas, before turning and heading back to the tent.

He nods and gestures to me, “Alright go ahead and make your pick then.”

“Daggers,” I declare as I begin to rummage on the table. I pick up one about the size of my curved knife that isn’t balanced and slide it into my belt, before asking “Are there any stilettos?” He nods to an Elfin woman who heads off towards one of the other tables, and I go back to searching the table in front of me.

I take a moment to look at Stephanie and can’t help but smile at the confused look on her face as she looks at the table. I pick up another small knife off of the table, test its balance and find it to be bad before I drop it back on the table and try another.

“A dagger isn’t even really a weapon is it?” Stephanie sounds perplexed at the thought.

“Many ways of fighting incorporate daggers and knives to great effect,” Captain Bargas explains as I drop another rejected knife onto the table.

You are amassing quite a pile there,” Shiva says laughing as I nod my head and place the dagger in my hand in front of me away from the others.

“I don’t understand why,” she sighs in response, “They don’t have any inherent advantage over swords, or maces, or anything else for that matter.”

“They are quite easily hidden,” I interject while checking another dagger, “They can easily slip between armor plates and end someone before they realize what happened. It is easy to poison them so if you cannot get a good puncture you just need a small cut. They can substitute as certain tools for specific jobs.”

“They are also a symbol of prestige among certain communities as well,” Captain Bargas adds as he hands a sword to the Elfin woman behind me who places a wooden stiletto in front of me, and she heads towards another table.

When did she get back?” I shiver slightly as I slide the thin blade into my belt.

“And why does she need so many?” she asks him and they both look to me as I lay a knife with the dagger in front of me and they both turn to look at me.

“Because I am going to juggle for the amusement of the crowd,” I scoff as I slide a curved knife into my belt and pick up the two from the table. I turn towards the ring that has been brushed again before they can respond.

As I take up position next to the woman I turn and Stephanie walks away from the table with a decently sized dagger gripped tight in her hand.

She steps up and the Woman raises her arm and as before she drops it and says, “Begin.”

Stephanie takes a step backwards and holds the dagger between us like she would a sword.

I almost feel bad for the girl,” Shiva sighs as i decide to finish this fast before i have another weapon failure.

I rock on the ball of my foot as I dig the toe of my other boot into the loose dirt. With a smile I quickly bring my arm in a low arc and release the dagger at her chest causing her her eyes to widen in surprise. I take a step forward and throw the knife before the dagger has even made it to her, and I drop my hands to the hilts in my belt; drawing them with the flat of the curved blade along my forearm.

Surprisingly she manages to bat the first out of the air and messily dodge the second as it just grazes her hip. “She still knows how to move, even if she doesn’t know the weapon.” The crowd cheers loudly as the wood hits the ground.

I stand relaxed and waiting for her to move. After a moment of hesitation she begins to slide towards me. As she gets closer her back leg tenses and she lunges at me while her arm moves to stab at me. I use the knife to deflect her dagger away from me and meeting no resistance she stumbles forward with a look of surprise on her face, but she immediately begins to right herself.

Before she can recover completely I kick my foot upwards throwing a cloud of dust up, causing her to rear backwards and throw her arm up to guard her face. I quickly step up while dropping the knife in my hand to grab her elbow and pull her further to the side. I twist into her, and use my weight to drag her down as I press the stiletto into her back at the base of her neck. The crowd falls silent even faster than they worked themselves up.

The woman steps forward and raises her arm, “This match is concluded, with a ruled killing blow, red side is the victor,” and she points at me as finishes speaking.

I let Stephanie go and she stumbles forward slightly before turning towards me with a stunned look on her face, before she mumbles, “Isn’t targeting the neck an illegal maneuver?”

“We determined that since she did not strike at your neck, and only used the dagger to assert control over the match that it was within the bounds of the match,” the woman replies placing her hand back on her hip as a few of the other judges around the match nod their heads.

I wonder how they are communicating,” I muse.

I believe through the use of familiars,” Shiva answers, “I can feel the presences of quite a few that are hiding.”

“I understand,” Stephanie says and she begins to head out of the ring and I follow her and pick up the two blades I threw off the ground.

“Do you still question the use of a dagger as a weapon?” Captain Bargas asks her as we get near.

“…No sir,” She sighs, “But I believe that if I was practiced with the weapon I would have won as I am stronger, and if she hadn’t cheated.”

“I didn’t cheat, I used the environment to my advantage,” I shrug, “And furthermore there is no such thing as a fair fight, always fight to survive.”

“This is a duel that has established rules and a code of conduct, that you,” she growls while pointing at me, “blatantly ignored.”

“Really from my understanding this is a mock combat situation, which by all means assumes that there are no rules other than to live,” I argue back with one hand on my hip as I wave the other in the air.

“And I am still stronger than you even if I am not familiar with the style of fighting, so if you had not cheated I would have won,” As she says this she steps over closer to me while glaring down at me.

Captain Bargas sighs, “Settle down the both of you.” He turns towards Stephanie and says, “Strength is not the cause or loss of victory in all fights. Some fights are won and lost based on skill, others are based on intelligence, and others still are based on luck. Also, she is correct the only rules that we established where to avoid any major injuries to all of you.”

“I see,” she starts sulking.

“Not every loss is a negative thing either. A loss that you walk away from is something that you can learn from.”

“Yes sir.”

He sighs slightly before turning towards me, “You do enjoy causing trouble don’t you?”

“Trouble more often than not seems to find me,” I shrug.

Such heresy doth pass through these doors of such a palace of mine,” Shiva exclaims in mock horror, "Onto which mine ears must listen like the crowing of birds."

Stop quoting old plays,” I laugh at her.

“It is quite impressive that you managed to beat her in a duel though, she is likely the best in the ring in the first class this year,” He says rubbing his jaw slightly, and out of the corner of my eye I watch Stephanie swell up with pride.

“Not in particular,” I say and watch Stephanie instantly stiffen up with fury in her eyes, “I put her at a disadvantage by picking daggers.”

“And how did you come to that conclusion,” she says angrily, “I’ll have you know that I have trained for combat for over ten years.”

Only ten years,” I laugh slightly, and Shiva sighs unhappily, “First off, training in one type of combat will likely get you killed, especially if you fight primarily against the same type of weapon. Secondly, from what I've gathered, you have trained how to duel not how to fight, which even you should be able to tell the difference by now. You also shouldn’t judge the experience of your opponent by your own.”

“And just how much experience do you have?” She asks hand on her hip and finger pointed at me looming over me again, Captain Bargas sighs and backs up slightly as Marion walks over, “It really can’t be much more than mine, especially since you are younger than me.”

I laugh bitterly at her and say, “I have nearly twice the amount as you, in actual combat mind you.”

You’re letting her get to you to much,” Shiva warns, “and are you throwing the argument of using one type of weapon at her Miss Estoc user? ... Also you are baring your teeth at her.”

Something about her attitude is pissing me off,” I grumble, “And I am quite capable of using other weapons, I just prefer my Estoc.” I complain before sighing.

“That’s not possible,” She says in disbelief, “You would have had to been less than ten.”

“And there are children on the streets of Myrdith that would happily kill you just for the chance of having half a cold meal,” I growl at her and her face pales, before I take a breath in attempt to calm down, “Not that I expect a pure breed raised with a spoon in her mouth to understand.” I turn away from her and look at the two people standing behind the table, Marion is standing there with a look of curiosity and concern on her face, and Captain Bargas sighs again. “What is the next round?”

“Some of the earlier rounds took too long, and there is not enough time to finish the current matches,” Marion says, “So the both of you along with the rest of your current group will move on to your next session.”

“What about the results of the current match?” Stephanie asks timidly.

“It doesn’t really matter, there is no benefit to winning or losing,” Marion says tilting her head, “We are primarily using this event to determine what points everyone needs training in. Although if it is really important to know which of you won, you two can just settle it later during the Magik sparring.”

“Yes Ma’am,” Stephanie says and I quickly turn away from the table and begin to walk away.

I said too much there didn’t I?” I sigh after I have walked some distance away.

You have never been very tactful anyway,” Shiva laughs slightly, “And even that was not that much.” She adopts a more serious tone and says, “If you talked with someone you would probably feel better.”

The past is best left where it lies,” I sigh and Shiva mimics me.

“Con-congratulations on winning the second round,” a voice says from behind me and I turn to find Aya standing nearby, and I nod my head to her, “What is the third round going to be?”

“We apparently ran out of time, and are going to move on to the next session today,” I stretch.

“So we are going to the obstacle course then?” she asks as everyone on the stands gets up and begins to move.

“It appears so,” I nod and begin to walk to the south side of the field. Aya quickly follows suit and steps along side of me.

“I-I wanted to th-thank you for earlier,” she mumbles bashfully.

“Don’t worry much about it,” I shake my head before asking, “How was your partner and how did your matches go?"

“She was ki-kind, Valkyries generally are though, and I won two out of three matches,” the relief in her voice is easy to hear.

Though she still stutters slightly,” I say, “Congratulations.”

You might not have stuttered, but you had your own problems,” Shiva laughs, “Remember how the coven thought you went mute when you stumbled back through the doors?"

As we walk towards the obstacles we make small chatter and I spot a large group of people leaving and heading over towards the Magik ring.

I hear footsteps approaching us quicker than the others and I turn and see Marion walking towards us and as she spots me looking at her she waves her hand causing me to sigh.

“Is th-there a problem?” Aya asks looking concerned.

“Just a small storm about to blow in,” I complain and she just looks up at me questioningly.

Quite an apt way to describe her isn’t it,” Shiva giggles.

“You could slow down a little bit,” Marion huffs as she gets near us, “I know that you saw me.”

“All the more reason to walk faster,” I roll my eyes.

“Aww you don’t really mean that, do you?” she asks turning her back towards Aya sounding hurt but with a playful smile on her face, “Even after everything you are just going to throw me to the side for that tailor and not tell me?”

I’m not sure who it is, but there is someone that needs beat senseless,” I grit my teeth and sigh as I catch Aya squinting at me from behind Marion.

“Just ignore her,” I begin to say before Marion tilts her head back and places the back of her hand against her forehead.

“And now you are going after an innocent young Elfin woman, will you ever be satisfied?” She asks thickening the distress in her voice.

“Might you actually be a woman of loose morals?” Aya asks suspiciously, and a small group of people off to the left begin to whisper among themselves and point in this direction.

All I wanted was…” I begin and then sigh before shrugging and continuing to walk towards the obstacle course.

“Oh don’t be that way,” Marion laughs, “I’m just teasing you with a little rumor I heard.”

“So what is it that you want then?” I ask.

“Can’t I just walk with my favorite little fox?” she asks and I turn and look at her and she says, “I am in charge of your group and I was concerned about what happened around the table?”

“It was nothing,” I tell her and she sighs.

It seems that there has been a lot of that going on recently,” Shiva comments.

“I see, anyway I am,” Marion begins to say.

“Miss Steele,” Aya cuts her off,” Cap-Captain Bargas told us that you would be wah-working with us today. I-I am Aya Naricsa, it is a pa-pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise,” Marion says, “I have an offer that I would like to make you.”

“Don’t listen to her,” I warn, “she is the exact definition of a woman of loose morals.”

“So says the one kissing a maiden in the street for everyone to see,” She shoots back and I can feel my cheeks redden slightly.

I am never going to live that down am I?”

Not likely anytime in the near future,” Shiva giggles and then gasps, “Oh I have an idea why don’t you-,”

No,” I cut her off as we continue to walk.

But you haven’t even heard what I’m going to say yet,” she whines to me.

It will likely be something irritating, so I am just cutting you off ahead of the curve.”

That’s not fair,” she says pouting.

Fine,” I sigh, “What is it?”

Why don’t you go and call her out to the front of the store, and then you can press her up against the window kiss her deeply and confess to her, that will make everyone stop talking about the previous incident,” she says excitedly, while Aya and Marion chat about the weather.

I was right it was something irritating,” I sigh again.

It’s not like you would do it anyway,” She sighs then giggles, “But maybe there is a way to convince her to do it to you.”

You couldn’t,” I tell her only half believing it myself, “And stop playing match maker with strangers.”

You might even like it; I’ve seen those books that you read when no one else is around.”

You are actually twelve aren’t you?”

“So how do you think you’ll do?” Marion asks as she walks up beside me.

“Hmm, in the next course?” I ask and she nods, “Shouldn’t be any issues, especially if it was designed for the Knights class.”

“My, my you just talk down to everything don’t you?” Marion laughs, “First you insult Miss Rainheart and her pride, and now the entirety of the Knight class.”

“No not really,” I shrug, “I was just stating a fact. Any course that was designed in mind to be run in armor will not be as difficult as running through a crowded city.”

“D-do you often run through ci-cities?” Aya asks.

“Not as much as I used to,” I tilt my head, “Although with my new position here that is likely to change.”

“Speaking of which, are you doing as you were told?” Marion questions as we get near the course.

“Leyla is working on it as we speak,” I tell her.

“Good,” She nods, “I will leave you here for now.” She starts to walk away and she stops and calls over her shoulder “You and Miss Rainheart are scheduled fairly early, and you can change out of the chainmail if you want. We allow the course to be ran in whatever you want today, and no armor is to be worn during the magic duel for safety reasons.”

“Tell me thos…,” I stop and sigh knowing it’s pointless to call after her again as she quickly struts away. “She just does whatever she wants to doesn’t she?” I mutter.

Reminds me of someone I know,” Shiva snickers.

“I-I think she is qu-quite kind,” Aya says shyly.

“… Maybe,” I turn to head to the side building to remove my armor.

“D-do you need help?” She asks.

“If you want,” I tell her and after a moment I hear her footsteps following me.

25