Prologue: The Fall of Nyx Farholt
65 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     A quick warning for whoever may read this, I am extremely tired while writing this and am only trying to see if I can enjoy a story of my own creation.

     With that out of the way, this is made by myself and no others, and I hope that I find joy in this and continue to write in the future.

(If I use a term and don't explain it, please assume that I have made it up and it will be explained later in the story, or search it up on Google)

PS: reading back on it, I realized that I went into an excessive amount of detail on Nyx, so don't pay it too much mind. Single quotations ('  ') are a person's inner thoughts, while doubles ("  ") are spoken aloud.

__________________

     A man walked towards a large set of elegant double doors. This man, [Nyx Farholt] was one of few with his status, being known as the "Baronet of Black". 

     In accordance with his title, he was draped in dark clothing from the tip of his nose to the soles of his feet. Perhaps it was because of some other article, but the man's figure was cloaked in dark shadows, and he made no sounds as he stepped forward.

    Despite his body being covered in darkness, his hair was a bright sheen of silver, with many smaller streaks of darker colors within it. He carried a stern face with sharp, knotted brows and pursed lips, insinuating a sense of discomfort or displeasure.

     Although one could not see them very clearly due to the shadows surrounding him, his garments were of the finest quality. A sleek, black robe with purple highlights and lining lay over his pitch black suit and tie. His pants were of a slightly darker black hue, and almost felt baggy on his legs, however from an observer's viewpoint they seemed to fit snugly and comfortably.

     After a short walk that seemed like an eternity, Nyx Farholt reached his destination. The door towered at a massive 6 meters in height, and had a width of about 2-3 meters. It was bejeweled with miscellaneous gems and crystals, with the centerpiece being an engravement of a golden dragon with 2 heads.

     As the dragon's heads split away from each other and the door began to open, Nyx swept his emotions off his face and adopted an indifferent mien. If he had dared to enter this room with an attitude, he would surely be given no small punishment.

     Once the doors were fully open, Nyx elegantly moved towards the seat on the far left of the centerpiece of this room, a large, ancient oaken table. At the other side of the table, sitting in the most elegant chair, was a gentle looking white haired man, who shone with a sense of sagacity. Lightly placed upon his silky hair was a glittering silver crown.

    This man was the King of this Land, however he bore no name. When a king ascended to the throne, they gave up all ties to their family and themselves, swearing to serve their country with the essence of their lives. Despite the gentle air around him, the King was extremely furious. 'Nyx Farholt of the Colored Baronets has dared to fail a mission and come back to his home alive!' Was one of many things going through his mind at that moment. 

     'One of the Colored Baronets, my personally assigned knight of the highest order has actually decided to come and face me without completing his job, what a fool he must be'

     'Does he believe that he will not be relieved of his position? The seats among the Baronets are coveted by many, I could surely find a competent replacement for him within days.'

     "Ahem!" The King was the first of the two to raise his voice. 

"Nyx Farholt, explain the motives behind your current behavior at once!" He almost sounded like a father disciplining his child, however this was far from some petty scolding.

"Your Majesty, I am sincerely sorry for my transgressions, but I have come to question your orders" (Nyx)

"Even with the power I do possess, it is not possible for me to take on an army of that size on my lonesome" (Nyx)

Yes, Nyx Farholt committed the crime of treason after being given the impossible task of holding back an assault on the kingdom by himself.

'I realize that now there is no chance of being let off with no punishment, for I have blatantly disrespected the King.' (Nyx)

"Indeed it is so, but I seem to recall that you are one of my personal knights, are you not? Your only purpose in life is to follow my orders and serve this kingdom well." (King)

"For daring to question my royal order, you must be punished" (King) 

'I never have liked Nyx too much in the first place, and he has been rather useless in terms of achievements so far… perhaps I should find a new Baronet of Black.' (King)

"You fate has been decided, you are to face public execution at the hands of the Baronet of Yellow" (King)

     Perhaps at that moment something snapped inside Nyx, because he went through with an action he should have never done. He lowered his hand into his breast pocket, pulled out a small black needle, and with one swift swipe, he motioned towards the neck of the King.

     This action was one of pure foolishness and rage, fueled by the mind of an arrogant man with no sense of danger.

"Die…" (Nyx)

     Just as quickly as he had grabbed the needle, it had left his hand and dug into the Kings flesh severing his artery. Just like that, in less than 10 seconds from the first splash of blood, the King's life had ceased.

    The King made the mistake of having no guards in the room with him, for he believed that one of his Colored Baronets would never betray him. In addition, this room was soundproofed for other obvious, confidentiality related reasons.

     Despite that being said, this was far from the perfect crime. Guards were stationed directly outside the massive doors which were the only exit from this room, and both the Baronets of White and Iridescence were currently staying in the castle. 

     The King's pulse was also under constant monitoring by the captain of the soldiers, so there was no doubt that both of the aforementioned Baronets were after him already. This was definitely the end of the line.

 ________________

    And just like that, the story of Nyx Farholt had… not come to an end?

     He had been properly detained and placed within a cell inside the most secure prison in the Kingdom, perhaps they planned to gain some use out of him in the future, but his current life was spared.

_________________

The Colored Baronets, the 7 royal knights serving the king directly.

"The Baronet of Red" is said to have been granted the ability to conjure and control flames at will, with higher temperature flames being increasingly difficult to contain and bend.

"The Baronet of Blue" is said to have been granted the ability to conjure and control liquids at will, with its influence becoming less powerful when there is less water in a solution.

"The Baronet of Green" is said to be the second strongest of the Baronets, with the ability to freely control anything and everything that touches the air. Its weakness is only known by the other knights, being that higher speed winds are tough to create and carrying heavy items makes its control slower.

"The Baronet of Yellow" is said to have been granted the toughest ability to use, being the power to manipulate nature and landforms to its will. Although there are definite drawbacks on its ability, no one, including The Baronet of Yellow themselves knows what all of them are yet.

"The Baronet of White" is said to be the weakest of the 7 knights, but that is because they do not fully understand their ability. They have been granted the ability to control light, however they do not understand the uses of what it could do.

"The Baronet of Black, Nyx Farholt" is one of the stronger of the knights, almost capable of fighting the Baronet of Green on equal footing. He was granted the ability to freely control shadows, however this ability was able to evolve into a higher form, allowing him to separate items from a person's sense of existence, and the world's as well. He can change how items are perceived by the world itself, effectively causing them to disappear from existence until he wills them back. This ability does not extend to any living things, and takes extreme concentration to use.

 "The Baronet of Iridescence" is the strongest of the Baronets, and the most powerful fighter in the kingdom. Their ability is unknown, however anecdotes of their battles say that they were able to cleave through space itself to attack their target.

     When a Baronet is chosen, they are granted their corresponding element by 'divine intervention', suddenly realizing they have it when they awake one morning.

_______________

End of the first bit, so I guess it technically isn't a one shot??

0