Chapter 1: Shadows rise
30 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     This is the first official chapter of The Story of Nyx Farholt. I've decided to write another worldbuilding chapter soon because I really enjoyed it but I will definitely complete this chapter before I do so.

     Finally, I am writing this chapter in the 1st person, so I would like to know if any of you prefer it this way or from the 3rd.

_______________

     (Nyx Farholt)

 My eyes opened once again, yet what they were staring at was something I could not process. Perhaps I was blindfolded, but dark, pitch black was the only color I could see. 

     'Did I finally die?' It seems as though my life had come to an end, although I can't seem to remember how. 

     My notions towards my own death immediately began to vanish once I tried to move my own body. Pain I have never felt before was racking my body in every little crevice. Not even the tips of my nose and ears were spared from the excruciating pain.

     The pain stopped for a bit, but after a short interval it began again, only this time a bit weaker. When I didn't give a strong reaction to the pain, my body was hit with a stronger pulse.

Over, and over and over and over and over and over…. For seconds, minutes, perhaps even hours, this pain continued. 

   

     (Houyi Farshot, Chief warden of the Royal Prison)

     I've worked in the royal prison for 17 years now yet I have never seen a prisoner with as much power as this one. Nyx Farholt, your levels of mana far exceed even those of the other Colored Baronets, so why did you stop to such a low level?? You may have even been able to match Kruonis if you had stuck to your path.

    Despite thinking all that, here I am ordering soldiers to torture him. We haven't even asked him why he did what he did, but we resorted straight to violence, how crude…

    After about 5 hours of straight torture, we decided to ungag him and take off his blindfold. I doubt he has the strength to fight back anyway.

     I ordered the soldiers to stop before they could reach him, something felt… off. After about 10 minutes of searching they found nothing nearby, so they began to advance once more. In the blink of an eye, light was gone. It was as if the concept of light itself had been absorbed by the everlasting shadows that were released from the center of the room. 

     In less than a few minutes I could see once more, but Nyx Farholt was no longer there.

     (Nyx Farholt) 

     I don't know when I discovered it, but at a point I came to realize something. As part of my ability, I could separate an item from the world, so why couldn't I use that ability on whatever had me shackled down?? Even if I could not see them, I could definitely feel things pinning me to the floor, so it should be a simple matter. 

     Of course, if I tried to do that it would take more than a couple seconds, in which anyone watching would definitely detain or attack me. Eventually I decided on a plan. 'I will release a dark shadow around me for a minute or so, while I try to separate my shackles.

     Surprisingly, it went without a hitch, allowing me to essentially waltz out of this supposedly high security room. I could kill all of the guards, but that would take some mana that I don't have the leeway to spare.

     Very unsurprisingly, the stunt that I just pulled took more than a fair share of my already near depleted mana, so it seems like I need to find a place to rest.  

      'Even though the royal prison is heavily guarded, if I'm cloaked in shadows and standing in a dark corner, I doubt anyone would be able to sense me.'

      With that thought in mind, I traveled around the royal prison in search of a sequestered hideaway. Due to my constant use of my shadows my mana was steadily decreasing, but that amount was almost entirely covered by my mana generation speed so I should be fine for a decently long period of time.

     After what felt like an eternity, I came across what seemed like an armory for the soldiers stationed here, so I decided to take a few knives and rest in the deepest corner of the room.

___

     Due to having a full rest, my mana is at it's full capacity and I'm ready to fight. After thinking about it for a short while, I realized that my best course of action was probably to hunt the captain or captains of the prison in order to ensure that chaos follows.

     Even though this is probably the biggest issue with my life to occur in the past 15 years, I can't help but feel a bit excited. The armory had a small map of the prison in it, marking the locations of other armory deposits and the captain's quarters. It seems like it's time for my fight to start!

0