The Beginning of Future: Prologue
26 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The world is constantly changing, but is it changing for good? No one in the world could answer this question. The only thing we can do is to keep going, and then we'll see...

2021-04-01

I walked on the street, my breakfast packed in a bag in my hand. The city changed a lot from what I remembered in my childhood. The windows of high buildings reflected the dazzling sunlight into my eyes. As the cars passed by, I could hear the music on the radio of vehicles and the sound of engines running at full speed.

I turned into a small alley. I then walked into a narrow corridor where the only light source was a lamp that emitted a dim light. I fetched in my pocket for a key, opened the door at the end of the corridor, and walked in.

It was a small apartment: a bed in the corner, with an old cupboard beside it. A dining table with unwashed dishes and cups on it, as well as some empty bags, just like the one in my hand. There are some other pieces of furniture for the toilet, but that's all.

This is where I live. I don't know how many people in the world are like me, struggling to survive and fit into this society, but I have no time to wonder about life.

I devoured my breakfast quickly, and then I took my backpack and started heading toward where I work...

It took me a while before my eyes finally adapted to the harsh sunlight. For some reason, I felt that this day was particularly hot and that my head ached badly.

"Well, it's probably due to the lack of sleep recently." I consoled myself into thinking this.

I stood in the sun, waiting for the bus to come. However, I felt that my forehead was sweating continuously and that my head began to hurt more and more. I could barely hold myself back. But as my head became heavier and heavier, my legs couldn't support such weight, and I fell heavily to the ground.

My vision became blurry, and I thought I heard people around me shouting and calling for help. I saw people looking at me.

Then, I closed my eyes and didn't wake up for a long time...

4