Chapter 2: Reawakening
20 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I don't know how long I slept, nor if I'm still alive or not. Maybe it's one second, perhaps a day, a month, a year, or a century, but nothing changed the next time I woke up.

The bed on which I slept looked as good as new, the light in the enclosed room is still emitting that dim light. But even that light took me one whole minute to adapt, as my eyes were not opened for a long time.

Little by little, I began to regain my memories, who I am, how old I was (Before I slept), how did I get here... all sorts of stuff.

I stood up with both of my legs trembling. My whole body felt weak, which is reasonable after this long time of sleeping. Holding on to the furniture in this tiny room, I staggered out of the egg-shaped machine where I was asleep. But the scene I saw outside was like a hammer striking me so hard that I could barely hold myself up.

I was in a small room, much smaller than the main hall of the factory. And in this room, there were three other machines that looked exactly like mine, but with their door opened. And I saw, inside the machines, something I could never forget in my entire life...

The people inside were dead, with their blood already solidified. Some horrifying plant was tangling tightly around them. At the very center of the plant was a large 'mouth,' which pulsed every few seconds as if it was pulling something out of the corpse.

The room also didn't have any electricity, except for the dim light in the egg-shaped machines and the emergency red light that flicked occasionally.

The first thing I did when I finally got used to these unacceptable things was to find a human that is alive. I used a metal stick which I found on the floor to break the lock on the door, and soon it opened. 

It was a long corridor, with lots of rooms just like this one. I went into one of them just to see that the four experimenters were also dead for a long time, with the same kind of plant right on where their heart was.

I thought of something, something so horrible that I couldn't even believe it. Maybe... Am I the last human alive on Earth?

I shook my head; this is impossible, or IS IT? This thought frequently haunted me as I ran into one room after another, and the idea became more and more realistic as I saw more and more people died the same way.

I seemed to be in an endless cycle, running into rooms one after another, run out and go into the next one, until...

I gave up.

I collapsed onto the ground, and my heart was pounding hardly after the running that drained my energy. "So I guess it is true then, I'M ALONE..." I said while my tears started falling.

After a bit of rest, I pulled myself up. Then, I noticed a little console board on the wall with a keyboard right below. I walked slowly towards it, and I saw the date at the upper right corner of the board.

2408-07-01

"400 years? That's a very long time." I mumbled to myself. I noticed a button with 'emergency call' written on it, and my heart suddenly fastened. Is there maybe some hope that there are still people outside of this secret base?

With that in mind, I pressed the button with a trembling finger. I heard the sound of wind blowing and some noises here and there through the microphone; the hope diminished after each passing second.

No one responded on the other side, and I waited until even the wind sound disappeared and finally gave up.

"Ok, I'm done trying these useless shits and waste my energy." I thought as I walked towards the end of the corridor.

There was water leaking from the platform of the corridor. It was probably due to the decay of water pipes. I walked step by step, listening to the splashing sound of water as my feet stepped on it.

Suddenly, a buzzing sound attracted my attention, and I started walking cautiously toward the source of this slightly frightful sound. I stepped into a room with loads of unfunctional computers, and on the desk right beside them, I saw something that resembled a chip half-inserted into a strange machine.

The eerie sound came from the machine, so I stared at the chip and pushed it slowly towards the device's slot, which fitted perfectly with the chip. 

I was surprised to see that the machine projected, on the wall, a video titled:" T-Virus Explosion In United-States." The video was very blurry and laggy, but this video helped me understand the whole situation of the world and the origin of the plant tangling dead people... 

I never knew such a horrible thing could happen to humanity, the starting of the T-Virus, plants that are parasitic on humans, and of course...

The beginning of the extinction of humanity.

3