Chapter 12 – The Final Straw
42 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“How?” Zaviar asked, looking around the room. “I didn’t see anyone here use magic.”

“His drink,” Tobias said. “That’s the only thing I’ve been able to think of. Could you grab it for me?”

“Of course!” Zaviar replied.

Zaviar gave Lin another glance before making his way towards the second car. He’d regained his composure, but Zaviar seemed spooked. Lin’s body still laid freshly deceased on the ground, and Cole could understand why he seemed so frantic. Watching Lin’s convulsions alone was enough to give Cole the chills. The sense of nausea he’d felt when seeing Dwaine’s body was slowly returning.

After a short wait, Zaviar returned with both the glass Lin drank from and the bottle he poured from. He gingerly handed them to Tobias, not wanting to hold them longer than he had to.

“Thank you,” Tobias said, turning to address the entire room. “I’m now going to use my magic. It isn’t something that can harm you, but it will test if this is indeed poisoned.”

After giving a few moments for someone to protest, Tobias nodded his head. Cole was surprised Wendy didn’t have anything to say, but learning about someone else's magic was interesting enough for him to understand her compliance. Well, that and she had just claimed Tobias’ group was suspicious for not having anyone die. Maybe she doesn’t want to bring more attention to herself.

Upon returning from this tangent of thought, Cole realized Tobias had started to pour a portion of the bottle’s contents onto the floor. The red liquid splashed onto the ground, forming a small puddle. He then placed both the glass and the bottle beside the puddle on the floor.

Reaching deep into his left pocket, Tobias produced a small block of clay. Clasping it between his hands, Tobias thinned it out into a flat sheet.

“Clay Magic: Willful Tester.”

Upon saying these words, Tobias slowly moved his hands apart. His right hand rested below his left, leaving a space for whatever he was forming to rest on. As Tobias moved his left hand higher, Cole saw a small creature being crafted from the clay.

The heck is that? Cole asked himself, raising an eyebrow at Tobias’ creation.

“Cute,” Wendy said, obviously unimpressed.

“I agree,” Tobias said, patting the creature on its head. “Now, will you test that alcohol for poison for me?”

The clay creature nodded its head, promptly jumping out of Tobias’s hand. It landed in the pool of alcohol, its legs splashing against the liquid. While Cole was wondering what it would do next, the creature tilted its head down, taking a sizable sip of the wine.

“That’s cruel,” Wendy said, shaking her head.

“Won’t you shut up already?” Zaviar asked, annoyed by Wendy’s constant remarks.

“It’s alright, Zaviar,” Tobias said calmly. “Now, is the alcohol poisoned or not?”

The creature looked back up to Tobias, shaking its head left and right.

“Alright,” Tobias said, “can you test the glass for poison, then?”

The creature nodded its head up and down, then making its way to the glass Tobias had placed on the ground. It carefully knocked the glass over, allowing it to crawl inside. After a few seconds of licking the inside of the glass, the clay creature stood back up.

“Is it poisoned?” Tobias asked.

The creature nodded its head up and down.

“Thank you,” Tobias said, picking the creature up, “you did a good job.”

That was… cool? Cole had half expected Tobias’ magic to be more brawn than brain. Even if he seemed like an understanding and compassionate person, Tobias did give off an intimidating vibe due to his imposing figure. Cole made a mental note to be less judgmental in the future, as he assumed magic meant more than muscle, anyway.

Tobias placed his left hand over the creature’s head, squashing it back into the sheet of clay it’d been made from. Balling this sheet up, he placed the clay back into his pocket as if the creature had never existed in the first place.

“So, he was poisoned, what now?” Wendy said. “I don’t mean to be rude, but your group isn’t the only one who’s lost somebody.”

“Now we know not to drink from any of the glasses, Wendy,” Zaviar replied, looking back to Lin’s body. “At least we have some kind of closure now.”

“Whatever.” Wendy sighed.

Bending down next to Lin’s body, Tobias brought his right hand to Lin’s face. Using his index and middle finger, Tobias gently closed Lin’s eyes. He’d died in a pretty horrifying way, and Cole appreciated Tobias’ attentiveness. They’d just met, but Tobias still showed Lin the utmost respect, even as a corpse.

Chooo. Before Tobias could address everyone, the train’s horn sounded. It hadn’t begun to slow down, so Cole assumed they were still on their way to their rooms. However, IQ’s voice began to once again ring out from the speaker, informing the group of their arrival.

“Congratulations, adventurers, you have successfully survived the trial. Imposters are now instructed to stay inactive until all participants have left the train. All that remains is voting for who each of you believes the imposter is. You may now cast your votes with your system bands.”

When IQ was finished talking, Cole’s system band produced the same blue box as before. Upon examination, Cole saw that the time had been shoved to the top right corner of the box. Taking up far less space, the rest of the box was filled with images of the other passengers, each with an unchecked box beneath them.

“This is ridiculous!” Zaviar shouted. “A man just died and you want me to vote like this is some game?”

“I understand how you feel, Zaviar,” Tobias said, regarding his system band curiously, “but we have to do as IQ says. I know it hurts, but we have to do as we’re told, even if we don’t want to.”

Zaviar’s lip curled up in annoyance, but he nodded to Tobias. It seemed the respect Zaviar had for him was greater than the disdain he held for the situation.

Slowly but surely, everyone began examining their system bands. To Cole’s surprise, he couldn’t see a blue box above them. They must be individual then. Cole thought. That would explain why Lucy didn’t react when I opened it to double-check the time.

“You have one more minute to cast your votes.” IQ said.

Outside of the quiet conversation between Niko and Susie, the room remained dead silent. Even when split into their respective groups, Monica and Wendy, along with Zaviar and Tobias, didn’t discuss their decision before casting their votes. Cole looked to Lucy, but she’d already put her arm back to her side. He knew she probably wouldn’t tell him what she put anyway, as this would be a good learning experience. However, he didn’t want to vote for the wrong person.

As Cole watched the clock tick down to zero, he failed to make a selection. No one had stood out to him enough for him to make an educated guess. If his high school SATs had taught him anything, it was that you don’t vote blindly.

“The results are in.” IQ said. “You will now be sent to your respective rooms. When you arrive, you’ll be given the opportunity to view the results of your choice and whether or not it was correct.”

“Wait.” Wendy said, obviously confused, “we’re going to our rooms without getting to confront the imposters? That’s ridiculous!”

IQ didn’t respond.

“I agree,” Zaviar replied. “If you won’t tell us who it is before we leave, we’ll just have to wring it out of them.”

“I’m in agreement with Zaviar,” Tobias said. “Our fallen comrades won’t be so simply swept to the wayside. None of you leave this train until I say so, got it?”

“You’re the ‘boss,’” Wendy said, shrugging slightly.

“If Wendy agrees…”

As Monica hesitated to speak, the door to the car began to glow with a familiar purple hue. A rectangular portal emanated from the door. I guess that’s what she meant by ‘arrive,’

Lucy stood up and turned to the portal. Without saying a word, she began walking towards it. Tobias observed her carefully, moving in-sync to block her path. Tobias’ large frame easily impeded Lucy’s way as he stepped in front of the portal. Stopping in front of him, Lucy looked up at Tobias.

“You heard her,” Lucy said. “It’s time to move on.”
“A mere suggestion,” Tobias replied, waving his hand. “I’d suggest you return to your seat.”

“And if I don't?”

“You’ll have to get through me.” Tobias said, squinting down at Lucy, “I have some questions I’d like answered.”

“If you insist.”

Lucy turned around, taking a single step forward. As she raised her other foot, Lucy bent forward slightly, kicking her leg behind her. In one swift motion, Lucy kicked Tobias directly in his stomach. While Tobias didn’t look particularly hurt, he looked awfully surprised. He’d been thrown off balance and fell backward. Unable to catch himself on anything, Tobias fell into the portal.

“Let’s go,” Lucy said, signaling Cole to follow her.

The room fell silent. Cole took slow steps forward, trying to keep things at a slow pace. I guess that means platinum’s above gold…

Wendy had agreed with Tobias but made no effort to stop her. Zaviar had been left without his partner in a hostile environment, probably making it hard to take action. Tobias had seemed the more confident of two, so Cole could understand his situation. Niko and Susie, on the other hand, looked too shocked by what had just happened to say anything. Cole was also surprised by the development, as Tobias was a substantial individual. It was hard to believe such a meek-looking kick would send him back as it did.

Lucy waited beside the portal as Cole made his way to join her. All so suddenly, the trial was over.

0