6: Stylish Infodump Part 2: [Lifestyler], [Freestyler] and WTF!
1.7k 13 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As they were walking over to the next Style plinth, Aurula started explaining a few things along the way.

 

 

 

~Whilst this next Style doesn’t offer as many Classes and attributes to both freely distribute and gain as a [Combatstyler] Player would get, it’s almost just as important and popular as the aforementioned Style since it can provide resources, monetary capital and influence that a [Combatstyler] can’t obtain without spending an unacceptable amount of time away from the battlefield.~

 

 

 

With a curious expression on her face, Gab asked, “These Classes used by this next Style… they wouldn’t by chance be “Production Classes”, would they?”.

 

 

 

Nodding, Aurula answered, ~ For the most part, yes. Although several of the Classes revolves more around activities that don’t necessarily require the use of combat to achieve an objective.~

 

 

 

Noticing a stunned expression on her current Player’s face, the Facilitator leaned over to look Gab in the eye, seemingly not noticing that their faces are only a few centimetres away from touching, causing an almost imperceptible reaction from the grounded woman.

 

 

 

~You didn’t expect there to be Production Classes? Why, out of all the things I’ve shown you thus far, does THAT surprise you.~ 

 

 

 

Having been staring in a daze at the Facilitator’s bee-stung lips, which looked o-so-kissable, Gab was shaken out of her trance by Aurula’s question, all the while feeling as if she’s just been caught perving on the floating woman.

 

 

 

“O..oh! I’m nn..not so much surprised as that those Classes are included. It’s just that I wasn’t expecting them to be offered during Character Creation.”.

 

 

 

Gab wasn’t lying. After all, when most web novels with a VRMMORPG theme talk about Production Classes, they’re usually referred to as Classes you switch to AFTER you create your IG avatar, not during the actual Character Creation where they only offer Combat Classes.

 

 

 

Despite squinting suspiciously at Gab’s strange behaviour just a few moments ago, Aurula can now understand why this particular Player didn’t expect there to be a Style related to Production Classes. 

 

Of course, if many other players started the game without knowing what options this game’s Character Creation offered Players, she and her fellow Facilitators in the other Battles Zones would probably see many more people reacting in surprise as Gab did.

 

 

 

~Hmm, I suppose I can see why you would expect those type of Classes to be offered in the first place. But you should remember that the ones who connected our world to yours told you clearly that Arbitrium was a “World of Choice”. If only [Combatstyler] Classes were available to choose from, then wouldn’t that just be a betrayal of your world’s expectations?~

 

 

 

As Gab was nodding her head, realising it actually wouldn’t make sense for Production Classes to not be offered from the start if you take Novae Terrae’s advertisement of the game’s level of freedom into account, she found that they’ve arrived in front of the second Style plinth. And it was just as interesting as the first one.

 

 

 

From a distance, the plinth looked like it was made entirely of silver, similar to how the [Combatstyler] plinth was completely made of gold. But as she was right in front of it, Gab noticed that there seemed to be other materials mixed into it, such as petrified wood, veins of various minerals and gemstones, glass and others that she wasn’t trained to identify.

 

 

 

Then there was the Style escutcheon itself, which was a completely white “Wedge” top-shaped shield. Instead of displaying heraldic animal motifs, it had seven inescutcheons (smaller shields placed within the main escutcheon) with images of a single object superimposed on each of them:

 

 

 

1st-A thick ledger

 

2nd- A Venetian mask

 

3rd-A pair of travelling boots

 

4th-A blacksmith’s hammer

 

5th-A glass vial

 

6th-A feather quill

 

7th-A serving tray

 

 

 

~Whilst nowhere near as flashy as the first Style you examined, at least in the early stages, this Style can allow a Player to produce some amazing things if they’re guile enough.~, Aurula explained, as she brought up this Style’s information:

 

 

 

***

 

Style: [Lifestyler]

 

 

 

Attribute Focus: Attributes that are more suitable for the user’s chosen lifestyle profession.

 

 

 

Style Benefits: 

 

-Players starts with both 20 free Attribute points and 15 fixed Attribute points

 

-Gains 3 free attribute points per level up

 

-Players of this Style can gain experience points and additional attribute points without needing to defeat enemy hostiles via either successful creations or completing a set task-specific to the Player’s Class

 

-Able to generate a new skill based on both the user’s chosen profession and accomplishments without necessarily needing to level up 

 

 

 

Style Demerits:

 

-Players are unable to engage in combat unleash they find a Combat Profession Trainer and possesses the bare minimum amount of free attribute points to learn successfully 

 

-When selling original products that have been created by the Player, certification from the local merchants guild is required 

 

-Quests that require [Combatstyler] Classes can not be taken 

 

 

 

Description: The Way of the Passion; the Players that chose this Style may not want glory on the battlefield, but they can most certainly change the course of the world without the need for mighty swords and destructive magicks.

 

Whilst they lack the larger pool of attribute points that both Combatstylers and Freestylers enjoy, this is only because the gods deemed that those who enjoy a life of relative peace don’t necessarily need that much, since their talents would speak for themselves.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

As Gab looked over the Style’s specifications, she could very well see other Players coughing up blood in anger if they’ve checked out [Combatstyler] before this one as she had done and took it at face value.

 

 

 

After all, who wouldn’t be pissed off over the fact that not only were the freely distributable points lower than that of the average [Combatstyler], even the amount of free attribute points gained per level was two points lower than the aforementioned Style’s five points.

 

 

 

But as she looked it over, she concluded that with their ability to gain attribute points outside of levelling without needing to fight, the stats of Players using this Style can easily catch up to someone with a Combat Class if they do a decent job, so the base points essentially acted as a balance check.

 

 

 

“Ok Aurula, care to tell me what Classes this Style has?”, Gab asked the Facilitator, itching to know what a [Lifestyler] can do.

 

 

 

~As I said before, a [Combatstyler] can choose from twelve Initial Classes, making it the Style with the most associated Classes. In comparison, a [Lifestyler]  Player only gets access to seven, so it doesn’t require subgroups.~

 

 

 

As Gab raised an eyebrow at this, Aurula raised a finger to indicate that she wasn’t finished, ~ However, since there are more Advanced Classes for those who don’t participate in combat, it sort of evens out the relative lack of Initial ones, don’t you think?~

 

 

 

Actually…that makes a fair amount of sense. If you think of jobs IRL, there are more careers available to ordinary civilians than there are for those in the Armed Forces (from Gab’s perception, at least).

 

 

 

~But, without further ado, here they are!~

 

 

 

Then, with a snap of the Facilitator’s fingers, a change occurred to the [Lifestyler] escutcheon.

 

 

 

Unlike the [Combatstyler] escutcheon, the shield itself didn’t change. Instead, the seven inescutcheons on the main shield cleanly floated off and arranged themselves in a row, before the inescutcheons themselves suddenly turned in Class Cards, the symbols on the back being silver coloured versions of the ones on their previous forms on a black background.

 

 

 

“Ok, [Lifestyler] Classes, show me what you got.”, Gab muttered to herself before checking their information:

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Class: Administrator 

 

 

 

Class Type: [Lifestyler] Initial Class 

 

 

 

Class Card Illustration: An older non binary person checking an organisation hierarchy diagram, starting from the bottom.

 

 

 

Attribute Focus: Intelligence and Gravitas 

 

 

 

Potential Advanced Classes: Minister, Landowner, Noble

 

 

 

Description: When it comes to the success of a business or a general system of workplace protocols, one of the factors that either make or breaks them is the quality of their Administrator, the one in charge.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Class: Entertainer

 

 

 

Class Type: [Lifestyler] Initial Class 

 

 

 

Class Card Illustration: A dressed-to-the-nines transvestite holding a steampunk microphone 

 

 

 

Attribute Focus: Dexterity and Intelligence 

 

 

 

Potential Advanced Classes: Writer, Artist, Jester

 

 

 

Description: Who says you can’t have fun outside of battle? Those who aren’t Entertainers, of course! Be it a live performance or a body of work, Players of this Class live to ensure that you aren’t bored for long.

 

 

 

 

 

Class: Explorer

 

 

 

Class Type: [Lifestyler] Initial Class 

 

 

 

Class Card Illustration: A young woman wearing exploration attire and an outdoors backpack 

 

 

 

Attribute Focus: Vitality and Causality 

 

 

 

Potential Advanced Classes: Archeologist, Scout, Spy

 

 

 

Description: Wish to witness beautiful vistas the likes of which you’ve never seen, or find a fascinating secret in a “beautiful void”? If so, then the Explorer Class is the perfect role for you.

 

 

 

 

 

Class: Manufacturer

 

 

 

Class Type: [Lifestyler] Initial Class 

 

 

 

Class Card Illustration: A teenage girl making a very basic looking necklace 

 

 

 

Attribute Focus: Strength and Dexterity 

 

 

 

Potential Advanced Classes: Blacksmith, Sculptor, Gadgeteer 

 

 

 

Description: With either heavy utensils or delicate instruments, a Manufacturer works day after day at their workshop to walk towards the pinnacle of their craft.

 

 

 

 

 

Class: Producer

 

 

 

Class Type: [Lifestyler] Initial Class 

 

 

 

Class Card Illustration: A teenage boy cooking…something in a pot

 

 

 

Attribute Focus: Dexterity and Comprehension 

 

 

 

Potential Advanced Classes: Chef, Pharmacist, Runecrafter

 

 

 

Description: Invigoration, nausea, clarity of mind and pain; are only a few scant examples of what a Player feels when they either consume or use a Producer’s products.

 

 

 

 

 

Class: Researcher

 

 

 

Class Type: [Lifestyler] Initial Class 

 

 

 

Class Card Illustration: An old man in a wheelchair scribbling furiously in his notebook

 

 

 

Attribute Focus: Intelligence and Comprehension

 

 

 

Potential Advanced Classes: Scientist, Historian, Detective 

 

 

 

Description: 

 

No matter what day and age one lives in, there are still subjects that require further investigation. Whether it’s a question that still doesn’t have any answers or a topic that has yet to be discovered, it’s a Researcher’s job to investigate these matters.

 

 

 

 

 

Class: Server

 

 

 

Class Type: [Lifestyler] Initial Class 

 

 

 

Class Card Illustration: A middle-aged head maid with a stern expression on her face

 

 

 

Attribute Focus: Dexterity and Agility 

 

 

 

Potential Advanced Classes: Waiter, Page, Messenger 

 

 

 

Description: No matter which world you reside in, you’ll always find yourself working at the behest of someone else. Some may disdain to choose to do so, whilst Servers find certain types of enjoyment in doing just that.

 

 

 

***

 

Having already been intrigued by the fact that Production Classes were offered straight away without needing to bother picking a Combat Class, Gab found the Initial Classes to be interesting in and of themselves. 

 

 

 

Whilst the Manufacturer and Producer Classes were the first forms of traditional crafting occupations, others such as Explorer and Researcher would give Players the capacity to act as dedicated intelligence gatherers, Administrators and Servers have the capabilities to potentially mingle with various NPCs that could gift interesting benefits whilst the Entertainer Class can allow a Player create and distribute their creative content, giving them a chance to expand or form a fan base IG.

 

 

 

~Are you disappointed with this selection of Classes, Wanderer?~, Aurula asked, despite knowing full well that this is not the case, judging by the adorable expression try his Player was wearing.

 

 

 

“What?”, Gab asked in a daze, before the question registered itself, “Oh! No, I’m not disappointed at all. In fact, this is a pretty good selection for Players who wants to take the [Lifestyler] path since there seems to be something for everyone!”.

 

 

 

The Facilitator let out a good-natured chuckle over Gab’s short assessment since she could tell that she truly meant what she said.

 

 

 

~I’m glad to hear it. My Mistress would be pleased to hear that you don’t think that these Classes don’t have as much potential as those used by a [Combatstyler]!~

 

 

 

“Your…Mistress?”, Gab asked curiously, as this is the first time Aurula was working at the behest of someone else. This was strange since Gab had the feeling that the Facilitator must be someone quite powerful in Arbitrium, given the fact that she’s an NPC with not only a name and a formal title, but also due to her seemingly casual level of control over the wind itself.

 

 

 

~…as was stated in the description of the Server Class, anyone in any capacity always finds themselves working under someone else.~, Aurula said with a happy expression, ~But you need not concern yourself with her identity, since she prefers to act behind the scenes and rarely makes her existence known to many outside her very selective circle.~

 

 

 

~But enough about her,~, she said as the [Lifestyler] escutcheon was suddenly returning to its original state, ~we still have one more Style to see, after all!~.

 

 

 

Now strolling towards the final plinth, Aurula turned to Gab and asked, “Whilst I can already tell that you already know what makes this Style differ from the previous two, could you tell me what you think makes it drastically different from the other?~

 

 

 

“Of course,”, Gab agreed with a complicated smile on her face, “it’s different because it lacks one key aspect that both [Combatstyler] and [Lifestyler]have.”.

 

 

 

~Ho? And what might that be?~

 

 

 

“Classes.”, Gab stated simply, “In offer words, this last Style allows a Player to use a Jobless Class.”.

 

 

 

Jobless Class, another way of saying Classless.

 

 

 

At this concept’s core, it allows a Player of any RPG that uses this mechanic to create a character that is unrestricted by the concept of a set Class to create almost unlimited combinations of armour, weapons, skills and spells.

 

 

 

For example, you could make a Paladin that uses familiars, an Assassin who specialises in healing magic, a Berserker using pistols as a primary weapon or a Wizard who casts anti-magic.

 

 

 

Whilst such combinations are too numerous to count, this style of play does have almost just as many weaknesses: 

 

 

 

-If you aren’t using a Class, you won’t be able to get anything exclusive to those who do.

 

-Because there are so many potential combinations, it can be more difficult to create a character that suits your purpose, compared to a Class that has a pre-made but solid skill set.

 

-No matter how many combinations you go through, a Player who plays this way will always be considered a “Jack of All Trades, Master of None”.

 

 

 

For Gab, she just doesn’t prefer to play characters with those types of builds solely BECAUSE they aren’t supported by Classes.

 

 

 

It was due to that reason she decided earlier that this would be the absolute last Style she would ever play!

 

 

 

By the time she finished ruminating over the topic of Jobless Classes, they’ve arrived at the final Style plinth, and it was far more…plainer than she expected.

 

 

 

As Gab already guessed, the plinth seemed to be made of solid bronze, but the longer she looked at it, the more she noticed that the surface of the plinth was shifting through various states. 

 

 

 

First, it was smooth and pristine. Then it was scratched all over. Then it looked like someone took a fucking sledgehammer to it.

 

 

 

Instinctively knowing that it won’t stop shifting no matter how long she observes it, she tore her gaze from the plinth to the Style escutcheon.

 

It would be accurate to say that the shield resting on the plinth was as plain yet austere at the same time.

 

Taking a “Kite” shape that looked similar to an upside-down teardrop, it didn’t have any decorations on its surface.

 

What it did have, though, was a mirror-like surface that reflected Gab without the black smog surrounding her, but the clothes she was wearing were shifting just as frequently as the plinth’s surface.

 

 

 

One moment she was wearing a bloody Pope’s garb, the next she was flaunting a brassiere made entirely of various potion vials, and then she wore a casino outfit with what looked like a dead dragon draped over her shoulders.

 

 

 

Noticing how fixated she was on what the reflective escutcheon was showing her, Aurula gave Gab’s shoulder a light shake to snap her out of her trance. ~It’s confusing, I know. But that is what a [Freestyler] generally considered, confusing.~

 

 

 

~And that is why, if you ever encounter another [Freestyler] on the field, it would be smart to never underestimate one under any circumstances.~, she says, as she pulls up the information on the final Style:

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Style: [Freestyler]

 

 

 

Attribute Focus: Depends on the user’s intentions 

 

 

 

Style Benefits: 

 

-User starts with 30 free Attribute points, 30 fixed Attribute points and three Skills of the Player’s choosing 

 

-Player gains 6 free points per level up

 

-All non-Class-specific items, equipment and skills can be used without restriction

 

-The Player can generate a completely new skill every 5 levels based on both the Player’s progress and habits

 

 

 

Style Demerits: 

 

-User cannot acquire a Class

 

-Skills acquired via skill books are unable to be upgraded 

 

-A Trainer is not guaranteed

 

-Quests that require a Class cannot be undertaken 

 

 

 

Description: The Way of the Unknown; the Players who operate with this style, whilst often thought of as “Jacks of All Trades, Masters of None”, are never to be underestimated.

 

Due to lacking the ability to obtain Class-derived benefits like those who choose to practice the other two Styles, the deities of Arbitrium thought it would be fair to grant users of this style greater initial attributes and the power to create skills that spoke to who they are as opposed to what their Classes are.

 

 

 

***

 

On the surface, the benefits of being a [Freestyler] far outweigh those of the other two Styles in regards to attribute points, Player exclusive Skills and usage of practically anything that isn’t tied to a specific Class.

 

 

 

But Gab knew that, in reality, they balance each other out. After all, [Lifestyler]s can gain attribute points simply by focusing on their craft, whilst a [Combatstyler] will most likely gain items and Class-related abilities that’ll enhance their stats to higher levels, making it a toss-up between which Style will suit a Player more in the long run.

 

 

 

At that same moment, behind Gab’s back, Aurula heaved a huge sigh of relief that they’re FINALLY done with “Styles and Classes 101”, given they’ve been at it for some time.

 

 

 

Then again, she did feel a little happy that a Player chose to spend some time with her, instead of quickly settling up their IG avatars then logging off like the others have done…

 

 

 

Then again, all things must come to an end.

 

 

 

~Alright Wanderer, now that you’ve seen all the Styles and Classes on offer, it about time for you to decide on your path!~.

 

 

 

COUGH!!! 

 

 

 

Splash!

 

 

 

Hmm, Aurula thought in confusion, why did she cough? And why do I hear liquid hitting the ocean?

 

 

 

With a strange feeling of dread, Aurula turned around…

 

 

 

 

 

 

~WHAT THE FUCK!!!~

54