Chapter 2 – The Fallen Knight’s Grave
145 6 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2 - The Fallen Knight's Grave

 

Blainsburry hills transversed from northwest to the southeast. Its northern and southern slopes were covered with dense pine forest. A dirt road crossed through a wide valley connecting the southern to the northern forest which eventually led to Fallen clearing.

The band crossed this forest along the dirt road, ahead lay grassy plains with a distant structure insight, on close notice one could see a dilapidated graveyard with a massive broken statue in middle.

As they rode toward the graveyard; "The statue is so massive master, it can be seen even from so far." A surprised gasp came from a pale-faced green-eyed young man riding behind Sir Richard.

"It is a marvel in the north, young Auden." Sir William said to Sir Richard's squire with a smile.

Sir Magnius informed, “Fallen knight’s statue, it stands upright holding spear in his left hand and bronze shield in right. Twenty men tall.” awe dripping from his tongue.

 

"Gavin you came this far north once if I remember correctly." Sir William said again to another young man with unremarkable features riding besides Auden; his squire.

"Yes master I was eight, my father supplied essentials to northern outposts during Greater winter, years ago."

"Yes, rough times they were; no harvest, bone-chilling cold, beasts dead both tended and wild. Many died that year soldier and peasants alike." Sir Magnius said with a bitter tinge in his eyes.

Sir Vidar said with an equally bitter tone "Many Highlanders didn't survive that winter either."

 

Sir Magnius "That statue holds equally tragic history, do you know that Eric?" looked at him, while pointing towards the distant graveyard.

"I know a bit, Lucius Octavius came from the south to make peace with Highlanders but died defending against Eastern Rhaggoths," Eric replied while nodding.

"Thereby earning the trust of Highlander’s and Gaelic’s, leading to eventual unification of the realm, truly pivotal moment in history." Sir Richard completed.

"That is no tragedy, but the bravery of a knight," Auden interjected.

Sir William, "Brave yes, but he died alone defending with his men, no Highlander, no Gaelic, no kingsmen came to share hand. Alone with his spear, he slew the head of a Herber chief."

"It took eight swords to stop him, Eight swords that stabbed him. He was the Eighth Knight to come north and it was Eight swords that he carried to his afterlife." Sir Magnius said as he recalled these words.

"These words are written on his gravestone. His destiny with Eight is truly tragic." Sir Magnius finally sighed.

Eric, "I did not know in such depth, why is he not know much in the realm?" with clear interest on his face.

Sir Vidar, "Time little one, time. Even the stone that was chiseled in his glory is not so glorious anymore." While pointing at the distant broken and vine-covered statue.

 

Sir Magnius, "His father was the Hand of the king.” He continued, “A King leads, his Knights bleeds. He left these famous last words behind as he left the court, to never return."

"It's a knight's glory, the destiny to bleed for his king," Auden said with a bit of pride.

"No question it is, but he left these words in spite. His only son died, alone. He unified the realm but what did he get in return. Even House Octavius lost its grace over time." Sir Magnius explained.

Sir Vidar, "Heh, Your old bones will be left to rot, if you ever say such words as a King's Knight in court."

 

"The times and tides are changing my friend. It's not the old kingdom anymore. A Knight with his blade alone is not enough. Weapons of the new kind never seen before, ships so large almost as if floating villages, armies so massive that one could not see one end from another." Sir Magnius said with a feverish look on his face.

"You are at it again. What gibberish, Knight leads soldiers that have never changed. A ship can't conquer the land. Lord Marshal, a knight, leads all of our armies." Sir Vidar looked annoyed at his friend's unusual excitement.

"Yes Lord Marshal leads us but we have more military order than before. A knight can't lead men as he wishes anymore. "

Sir Richard, "Military order made our kingdom strong. It gets the best out of men. Far better than a bunch of knights and Lords coming together to form a joke that they call the army.”

 

A loud yell intervened in their conversation. As the band approached the Grave, they noticed another group of men moving around the grave. Upon noticing them coming the men grew visibly restless and started running away on their horses.

"Damned grave robbers!!!" Yelled Sir William as realization dawned on him. With that, he spurred his horse into action.

Upon hearing from the already acting Knight, the band moved into action.

"The rotten goblin sons. What in the world gave them such guts." Cried Sir Vidar kicking his horse into action as he followed Sir William closely behind.

 

"Sir Richard come with me, along with your men, and try to cut their path before they reach the northeastern forest, make haste." Sir Magnius said with calmness.

"They don't dare move north toward the keep, we stand on their way south, they probably come from the east, only those parts remain unchecked." Sir Magnius explained his action.

The robbers ran from approaching charge of Sir William and Sir Vidar along with their men-at-arms close behind.

 

Sir Magnius and Sir Richard tried to cut their path but they escaped fast. The band followed them in the forest for some time, but eventually lost sight of their targets. The band could only return to clearing without any result.

"Caught any?" Inquired Sir Magnius to returning men.

"Those rats ran fast." Hissed Sir Vidar with an angry tone.

"They are rats for a reason. No worries, search around the grave, what were they after in this old untended grave." Said Sir Magnius, as he ordered the group to investigate.

 

The Band spread and searched for any left behind robber or some clue to what they were after.

Eric searched around the Fallen Knight’s statue, marveling at the sheer size and intricate artwork it was donned in. He finally noticed a wooden barrel placed in between statute’s legs. His eyes widened. He yelled in shock, “ Master!!”

All men looked at him shouting. Sir Magnius rushed upon hearing his squire’s call for help.

“Heavens!! Where in the world did they get this.” Sir Magnius with a nerve popping on his forehead yelled upon noticing the barrel.

Sir Vidar, “What is it?” as he rushed towards them. Sir Richard closely following behind him.

Saltpeter!!”

Sir Richard paled as if he saw a living ghost, “ Sal..saltpeter you say, a barrel full at that.”

 

Sir William, “They were no grave robber. Only men with extraordinary means can get so much cannon powder.”

Sir Magnius, “Something is very wrong with this encounter, we must make haste toward Vargr hold.”

“Moren, gather all powder you can find. With care!”

“Yes Lord”

“Ready all beast, we move north as soon as possible.”

 

“I’ll stay behind. Those damned devils can come again.” Sir Vidar said with anger on his face, as they set to ride again. He could not believe somebody could do such a thing to a brave warrior.

“My axe calls for their blood.” he hissed in an ominous tone.

Sir Magnius, “No!! We move together. Nobody moves alone, these parts have a thousand kingsmen yet they slipped in with barrels of cannon powder. I fear for worse.”

Sir William, “A raid?” guessed.

Sir Magnius frowned, “I do not know for sure, but these parts are no longer safe.”

 

The Band made sure they left nothing unnoticed in the grave as they rode north. The Band rode through the night with alert. The Full moon that made the path clear, couldn’t dispel the dark mood, as the Band rode with tense expressions.

Sir Vidar, “Who would dare raid our realm? Magnius I am telling you they are nothing but lowly thieves.” scowled.

Sir Magnius, “ The Blood Scourge”

All men fell silent, all beast grew visibly restless upon hearing this.

Even Sir William paled for once, “ This far north?”

“I do not know.” Sir Magnius fell silent.

“You wish!! No Rhaggoth have set foot here, up north in past thousand years.” Sir Vidar rebuked his friend for spouting such gibberish.

“Even if those devils raid, why would they attack a night with the full moon.” Sir Richard inquired.

“They are mindless devils, they say; seems truthful.” Sir Magnius replied.

 

BOOOOM

A sky-shattering noise came from up ahead as the group approached a distant silhouette of a hilly castle on the horizon.

2