Chapter Four
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A twitch. A twist. I felt it in my gut—that subtle twinge at the sight of her. Of that woman. Of all of them.

“Cindy!” I called to the woman down the street. She was strolling along the sidewalk in a beige leather coat, the hint of a skirt just grazing the upper part of her calves. Her long, dark hair swayed languidly in smooth waves down the middle of her back. God, did I miss wrapping my arms around that waist.

She whipped her head around just as I caught up to her on the sidewalk. I planted a kiss on her mauve lips and slipped my arm around the small of her back, right where it belonged.

“Hello, Arthur.” She easily matched my stride as I guided her around the corner. She didn’t blush, was barely ruffled. It was like we had started the day like this, joined at the hip. 

“Where are you headed?” I asked, taking in the smooth flesh of her neck, descending into an ample curve at the top of her breasts, which were barely concealed by a thin, pale yellow singlet. 

“Have you forgotten?” Her brow wrinkled.

“I’m just teasing,” I responded. “How could anyone forget a date with a girl like you?”

“Well…” She looked up at me through her lashes. “I’m not the only unforgettable one in this scenario.”

I grinned. “So last night’s encounter will be one for the books.”

“Oh yeah,” she rejoined. “I’ll keep it in the bestsellers.” She couldn’t stifle the giggle that I knew was making its way up her throat since I wrapped my arm around her.

She absolutely adored me. And that’s how I like my girls. Martin—well, Martin was… different, I guess. He  could never get a girl like Cindy no matter how hard he tried. I’d have to get them for him.

“What’s that smirk for?” Cindy asked, nudging the corner of my mouth with a manicured finger. “You got me something, didn’t you?” Her eyes lit up with excitement. I flinched, but she didn’t notice. God, was Martin annoying.

“We’ll see,” I murmured as I guided her into the quaint little restaurant where we’d reserved an intimate table for two.

“Wonderful,” Cindy sighed as she slowly sank into her chair and curled one dainty ankle behind the other. The chair was lush, upholstered with damask that looked just as soft and smooth to the touch as the flesh on Cindy’s prominent, rounded cheekbones. Sometimes, just looking at her bright heart-shaped face reminded me of a fresh peach, just ready to be sliced open, its juice pooling serenely underneath it.

I reached into the inner pocket of my jacket and fingered the slim felt jewellery box that contained a very delicate, very expensive pearl necklace. This would reel her in, no doubt.

I freed my hand and leaned across the table to take both her hands in mine. Her nails were painted a lustrous pearl white—just perfect for what I was about to give her.

I chose this restaurant because of its exclusivity. I wanted Cindy to know that I had friends in high places, that I could get her practically anything she wanted. I knew that that was what would make her feel secure in this relationship. My first clue was that glimmer in her eye when she spotted the hundreds in my wallet and paid for dinner on our first date. When I first took her to my home, she marvelled at every piece of expensive furniture, decoration, and architecture. We had rough, needy, violent sex that night—much wilder than I had ever experienced with her.

Now, she seemed absolutely giddy sitting in a high-backed chair fit for a queen.

“Excuse me a moment,” I said. “Have to use the restroom.”

I had lied. I really wanted to take out the necklace and surprise her with it by placing it around her neck from behind when I came back. She’d love being surprised like that—she was predictable that way.

Though I knew Cindy well, I knew this place even better. The restrooms were near the back of the restaurant, their doors almost invisible as they sunk into the wall panelling. The mirrors were framed with intricate, gold-coloured vines and fruit.

I smiled when I caught my reflection in one of the mirrors. People always told me my best feature was my eyes, and I used this fact to my advantage. Over time, I came to appreciate the intensity of their color—a striking and alluring amber.

1