Chapter 2
1.3k 0 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been four months since Mila was just born. She had no visitors, and her mother tried to win her father's favor to become the main wife. 'How annoying.' Mila didn't nurse on her mother, who refused to nurse her at all. Mila would mostly be nursed by wet nurses hired by unexpectedly her father. 'Why must I nurse on them? I'm a grown woman, for heavens’ sake!' Mila had tears streaming down, wanting to hurry and grow up.

Sara mostly took care of her from what she saw. Sara was just a young woman made to work and take care of her every day. Mila forced herself to sit up, knowing an infant wouldn't sit up so soon. 'I hate being a baby.' Mila thought and felt just exhausted, struggling to sit up on her bottom in her crib. 'I need to get out of this crib.' Mila figured she would go crazy if she stayed longer in the crib.

Grabbing the rails of the crib on the side, she grumbled and wobbled as she nearly fell over with her weight forcing her down. Seeing the floor coming closer, she felt as though she probably might die early. Waiting for impact, she waited but thought herself in a pair of arms. "You are foolish for trying to get yourself killed."

Hearing someone say, she opened her eyes to see a boy that looked exactly like their father. Thinking back to the past, the only one who seemed too similar to their father was her oldest brother, Leo. Mila was held in Leo's arms, which she blinked, looking at his well-dressed uniform. She looked up and smiled at Leo, who had no change in his expression. 'I gotta have Leo on my side too.' She felt a small bead of sweat form on her forehead.

"You're a strange little one with silky violet hair, but with the Noble family’s dark cyan eyes," Leo said, which Mila just yelled not out of anger but more like she was trying to lecture him. "Strange." Hearing the door opening, Leo quickly placed Mila back into the crib as he hid in the nearby closet.

Mila saw the doors open, seeing her mother with Sara following behind. "Hmph! Not a single visit from him! I gave birth to his child, and yet he doesn't seem to give me anything or even have me apart from the Noble household!" Mila could see how much her mother was scheming and wondered how she was even born. It made her fear the near future of her near death.

'You're a maid. Father would never visit you or even think of you because he's a busy man.' Mila thought, knowing how it was the truth.

"Lady Sydney, the Duke is a very busy man. He has to visit the palace from time to time since he is one of the four dukes that works for the emperor and has the most responsibility." Sara ensured Mila's mother that they were not forgotten or abandoned.

"If it weren't for this child, then perhaps things would have been different. If only she were a boy." Mila's mother said, which Mila knew now why her mother wanted her dead. Mila looked at her mother but didn't care for her. She just wanted to avoid her death by her. "Why do you look at me like that?" Mila felt her mother grab her by the collar of her clothes from the backside.

"Wahhh!!!!!!"

Mila started crying, wiggling, seeing how her mother was in the early state of abuse. "Lady Sydney! If you harm her, then the duke can execute you; even the kingdom itself can! It is a great sin and crime to kill an infant child in this kingdom!" Sara said, rushing over as she caught Mila just when Lady Sydney dropped her. Mila cried, hugging Sara, who held her close to her chest.

"Shut her up!" Mila's mother said while Mila was still crying in Sara's chest. Sara held Mila close to her and shushed her gently to calm down. Mila's mother walked out of the room angrily while Sara calmed Mila. Mila couldn't remember her infant years, but she knew she was shaken up from the recent threat.

'I won't be safe with her around. I have to avoid her evil plot.' Mila said and held Sara tightly.

"There, there. Sara won't let her do anything to you." Sara patted Mila on the back, who stopped crying. Wiping her face onto Sara's shoulder, she saw the closet doors were open and empty with no one inside.
***
A black-haired boy with dark cyan eyes entered a room in his father's office. "Father?" Leo joined inside, seeing this father looking through some papers.

"Leo? What brings you here?" Duke Reynard looked to see his oldest son. His oldest son is seven, his second is six, his oldest daughter four, his second daughter three, and his youngest is still only four months. He looked back down to the papers that lay on his desk.

"I had just witnessed Lady Sydney nearly killing her child." Duke Reynard looked back over to his oldest son. "Father, you do know that it is a great crime for an infant to be murdered. If the maid hadn't reminded Lady Sydney, then the entire Noble family could've crumbled to execution." Leo reminded his father, who, of course, knew that law of the kingdom.

"I know. How is your little sister?" Duke Reynard got up, seeing how his eldest son also seemed to have the same look of worry.

"She's fine now. Mila is resting and calming down." Leo said which Duke Reynard lightly rubbed his son's head.

"I'm going to have a look. Do not run around too much. Remember that we still have to keep you hidden until we can find who tried to poison you." Duke Reynard said while Leo understood his father's words. He had recently been poisoned when he was eating. Being poisoned was useless to him since he was immune due to his poison training required for each child who would take over their father's duty.
***
Mila was finally laid back into the bed, seeing how Sara fell asleep on the side of the crib’s railings. Mila sadly sat up and wiped her eyes. Seeing how Sara kept her protected, she didn't know why she was so cold to her in the past. Looking at her hands, Mila didn't feel sleepy even though her little body needed rest.

Hearing the doors open once more, she shook in fear, thinking it was her mother again. Laying back down, she held the blanket close as she clung to it, shaking. Her eyes were shut, but she could see the dark shadow go over to the other side of the crib from Sara.

Mila was shaking as she soon stopped to feel a hand lightly petting her head. Feeling at ease after, she was finally getting sleepy after everything else.

"Sleep, don't worry about anything." She heard before losing her consciousness.

30