Chapter – 2
941 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Wingardium Leviosa!” Harry tried, pointing at a book. For what felt like the hundredth time, nothing happened. Maybe not the hundredth time, but close enough.

Why isn’t it working? He asked mentally.

You don’t have a wand, don’t expect too much. The voice answered. Harry shook his head. It was helpful, this voice of his. It could teach him everything from muggle science to magic spells. But wandless magic? He didn’t have a clue. Yes, it was a he, or at least that was what Harry was told. His name was Magnus, he claimed. He was with him for as long as Harry could remember, since that day.

That day. Harry shivered, remembering a snakelike face staring at him with a silent scream on those twisted lips. A wand pointed at him with a spell that could have taken his life. Should have, if not for the charm that protected him. A charm none of them understood, and the soul nobody else knew about.

Don’t be frustrated, Harry. From what I understand the most powerful wizards struggle with wandless magic. You are new to this, expect a few more failures. Harry shook his head. More failures? Has he not failed enough already?

What felt like a laugh entered his mind. That old, familiar laugh Harry had learned to hate. Whenever he failed it came, and he wished it to go more than anything else. With a grunt, he tried again. “Fly!” He commanded, staring at the book as if his voice would scare off the table.

Harry? Magnus asked. “Fly! You stupid book! I said FLY!” He screamed, pounding his fist on the table. The book burst into flames.

He heard what sounded like a groan. What did I tell you, Harry? He yelped, snatching at a cup of water. He missed, and it fell to the floor instead. Harry, calm down. You need to be- “No, stop!” Harry yelled at the flames. “Go away!”

No! Harry, don’t, you need to calm down. Watch out! Harry felt a tug on his legs and jumped as the table burst into flames. He heard a sigh from Magnus. If he had a body, he would be covering his face with his hands. Harry gritted his teeth. How do I fix this? Water? How do I summon water? He asked.

I think that there is a way to conjure water, say aguamenti and you can form it at the tip of your wand. But you don’t have a wand, so I would say it’s safer to- Harry no! But he had already started, waving his hands like a lost child at the supermarket after seeing his mother.

“Aguamenti! Aguamenti! Come on, Aguamenti!” Harry shouted, his arms flapping like a flag in the wind. Now, be careful Harry. Look, it’s only a small fire. Everything is fine. You can leave and call firefighters, or wait for your mother to come home. There is no need for this, you will probably cause more problems than you can- Harry will you please listen?

Harry’s mouth dropped open as the entire house blazed to life, with fire. Give me control, Magnus said, his voice growing quiet. That was never good. Magnus was never quiet. Unless, unless he was about to die, Harry realized.

He felt Magnus’ thoughts, the movements he wanted him to make. His hand raised, and with a confidence that was not his own Harry spoke. “Aguamenti.” Nothing happened.

“Aguamenti.” Harry said again, the flames unable to melt his icy calm. No, not his, the calm belonged to Magnus. A bead of water formed at the tip of his hand. Harry could feel it in that moment, what felt like a ball of ice in his stomach, melting away as he grasped at it.

The feeling grew stronger, and Harry seized the magic within him. “Aguamenti!” He screamed. The small bead of water turned into a flood, and the flames hissed as a river washed over them. Harry could hear crashing sounds, plates and silverware breaking on the wooden floor below. The house was a mess, but he had lived. He sat, staring above at the ceiling. Magnus? What do we do now?

Then he heard the creak of a door opening.

16