Chapter – 7
549 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Expecto Patronum.” Harry tried, waving his mother’s wand. He gritted his teeth. There were too many memories he had made his attempts with, but none of them were enough. He had tried eating chocolate frogs, getting away from Dumbledore, surviving Voldemort, and hugging his mother. Whatever he did, it failed, the happiness from his memories almost never strong enough to produce more than a wisp.

“Don’t be too hard on yourself Harry, maybe you don’t have a strong enough happy memory yet. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, you’re already doing much better than most wizards who finished Hogwarts OWL courses.” Lily said.

Harry racked his brain for memories. There was his time with Magnus, watching movies and reading books, no- not enough. There was his mother, giving him endless hugs and kisses as he worked his way through spell after spell, a beaming smile on her face. There was seeing her after the fire, throwing her arms around him as they both sobbed. No, none of them were strong enough, none of them produced more than a wisp.

Harry shook his head. Of all the charms he had to fail on, it would have to be this one? But, the memory of his mother hugging him, right after the fire. Was it not strong enough? Let me try.

Harry froze. Let me try using a few memories at the same time. With a steady hand he grasped his wand, and several memories flooded his mind. So many words, so many voices, and scenes at once. He felt overwhelmed, as if someone had broken a dam after dropping him into a river, waiting for him to be swept away.

Harry was standing in front of an older man, drinking tea with a pleasant smile. “I love you, son.” He said.

He was lying on a soft couch, hearing a woman sing as he bandaged his wounds. “You’re always too hard on yourself, you know. Take a break sometime, for me?” She asked.

He was hugging his sister, a pretty young woman with tears in her eyes. “We can get through this, I promise. I’m here now, you’re safe.” He promised.

He was talking with a young man and a woman, sharing a meal beneath a tall tree. “I… I can’t describe how thankful I am, we are. If you ever need anything, be sure to come to us. We could never thank you enough.” He said.

The memories were not his own, nor had he ever seen them. But in it all he could feel joy, a unique, glowing joy of being freed. Almost as if he was being carried into the sky, with his worries left on the earth behind him. He felt a new strength rising in his chest, the strength of hope unbroken. “Expecto Patronum.” Magnus said.

Silvery light filled the room, magical energy pulsing as a cloud expanded, glowing with joy and hope. Lily gasped, backing away as it swept over her. It was almost as if the cloud was happiness itself, infinite and all encompassing. It churned like a storm came to life, and inside Harry thought he could hear the roar of thunder. Then it was gone, although it’s power still lingered in the air like a vivid memory.

Lily’s mouth was wide open, and her green eyes larger than Harry remembered. “I think that I have taught you all I can, Harry.”

He almost didn’t hear, staring at where the cloud was created with a mystified look. Did I just do that? Did I? Then he fell silent, and Harry thought he could hear the sounds of sobbing.

“I think I may have to introduce you to another teacher. We’ll visit Mr.Black tomorrow, okay Harry? He’s your godfather, you’ve seen him a few times.”

Harry nodded absently, his eyes not moving from where the cloud had disappeared.

7