CHAPTER – 25
187 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was something of a joy to finally see her childhood friend again. Severus Snape was a thin man, his face sallow and eyes cold. His hair framed his face, covered in more grease than she would find on one of those chicken drumsticks Petunia loved so much. There was something lost about his eyes, so lacking in emotion they almost seemed dead. But they changed as soon as he saw her. 

 

“Lily.” He breathed, trying to stand up but stumbling. He froze midair, almost as if an invisible chair had appeared under him. 

 

She chuckled. “I did expect some change, but it seems like you’re the same Severus I remember. I didn’t bring any Honeydukes chocolate, I’m afraid Harry might steal it all if I did.” 

 

When he spoke it was almost as if he were being strangled. “Seven years, Lily. It’s been seven years.” He said, his voice shaking. 

 

“I can count, you know. Now, come here and meet my son, Harry.” Lily said, pushing him forward. 

 

“Hello Severus.” Harry said, some cheer in his voice.   

 

Lily coughed. “I’m afraid I set a bad example. Harry, this is Professor Snape.” 

 

“Hello Professor Snape.” Harry corrected. 

 

“Hello.” He said, and he relaxed. In that moment he looked like a starving man given a meal, or a freezing man finding a fire. A smile formed on his face. Tired, painful, but happy. She had always loved seeing it. It reminded her of those times they would board the Hogwarts express together, young children on the way to a school teaching magic. Simpler times. 

 

“I’m sorry.” He said, his breath catching in his throat as he looked at her. “I shouldn’t have called you… that.” He flinched, as if expecting her to lash out. 

 

She chuckled. “Oh, you still remember that? It’s nothing, Severus. We were children and children say foolish things. I still haven’t apologized either, you know. You did.” 

 

She yelped as Severus fell into his chair, as if the life had drained out of him. She had seen him leaving his home, bruises on his face and blood on his cheeks. She had seen him thrown down in the mud by James and Sirius, and harassed by every student in school. Never had she seen him cry. Not even close. 

 

“So, you forgive me?” Severus asked, voice shrouded in disbelief. 

 

Lily gave him a soft smile. “There wasn’t anything to forgive, Severus. I’ll have to ask for your forgiveness for what I said. Are we still friends?” 

 

“Of course.” In that moment it was as if a mountain had lifted off of his shoulders, and his eyes shined with a light she had never seen since his youth. He seemed young, for once. It was ridiculous, she knew, to call a man of twenty old, but that was how she had seen him for the longest time, slumped over the table like an elder half dead. The lines faded away from his face, and he sat up as if awake from a long sleep. 

 

“I would like to say that I came here just to talk to you, but I really need a favor right now. Can you help me, Severus?” Lily asked. 

 

His back straightened. “Anything.” He said. Looking at his face, the confidence of his eyes, she believed it, she knew that if she told him to do anything he would. 

 

She pulled the mandrake leaves out of her pocket and laid them on the table. “I need you to brew a potion for Harry. For a birthday present.” 

 

His expression changed. “Mandrake leaves?” His eyes flashed. “Please tell me that this is not what I think it is.” 

 

“Harry needs an advantage against him, or he will end up like his father. A way to escape should his life ever be at threat. Yes, I need you to brew an Animagus potion, it will be his best chance of survival in case everything goes wrong.” Lily said. 

 

His eyes hardened, and they became so much like marble for a moment Lily almost thought he was a statue. “So that’s how it is.” He said, his voice growing colder. 

 

Her eyes widened. “What do you mean by that, Severus?” 

 

“Every time, every time you do something like this it’s for the same thing.” He growled, his hands balling in fists. “Brew this potion, teach me to do this, Severus, teach me to do that. Help me with this, we’re friends are we not? Of course, I have no possible reason for being your friend anymore, but please do keep yourself alive so I can use you again next time. It must be fun, isn’t it? How does it compare to watching your precious James play Quidditch?” There was a mad glint in his eye now, his face twisted in a furious rage. 

 

Lily paled. “How can you say that? Severus, you can’t possibly-” 

 

“YOU DARE? YOU DARE DENY IT? YOU COME WHENEVER YOU NEED ME AND LEAVE AFTER YOU DO. YOU PLAY WITH ME LIKE A QUIDDITCH BALL AND TOY WITH MY EMOTIONS. AND YOU DENY IT!” Spit flew from his mouth.

 

He sat down, the strength draining from his voice. Lily opened her mouth to refute his words, but found that she couldn’t. Was he right, of course not! But, was he? 

 

“Get out of my sight.” He panted, a derisive sneer crossing his face. “And never come back.” His voice faded to a whisper. 

 

She walked forward. He raised his wand, shakily pointing it at her face. “Don’t come any closer, I’ll curse you, don’t think I won’t.” 

 

She walked closer. “You won’t ever hurt me, Severus.” 

 

Something flashed in his eyes. “Sectumsempra.” He said. 

3