CHAPTER – 31
130 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lily awoke to the pecking of an owl. A large brown creature with disheveled hair was slamming it’s beak into the side of her desk, a letter in her claws. It’s matted fur ringed it’s face, and she rubbed her eyes. “Severus?” She asked, covering a yawn. The owl really took after it’s master. It did take some time to see the difference though, with all the dark patches covering her vision. 

 

She tossed it a galleon, and regretted it immediately. Where had the thing dropped the letter? She half dug, half sorted through her papers before finding the envelope she was looking for. Turning on a light, she read the contents.

 

Dear Mommy, 

 

Professor Snape has been teaching me how to brew potions, and I’ve been doing very well with him. He says that I’m just as good as any third year student in his classes. I’ll be brewing the animagnus potion, and I think I want to be a dragon. Professor Snape says you need something fresh from a magical creature to become them as an animagni. Can you bring me one next month? 

 

Love, Harry 

 

Lily managed a smile. Her Harry was really growing up. Third year skill already? She knew he learned fast, but wasn’t this a little too much? But Severus was a good teacher, so maybe she was being silly. 

 

Ah, Severus. He still didn’t have the courage to write her a letter. Lily giggled as she thought of it. Fifteen years, and he was still the same boy she met at the park. If she asked he could cut through a dozen wizards before blinking twice. But if she tried to wait for a written letter she would die of old age. The only time he had asked for her was when he threatened to sleep in front of Gryffindor tower, and even then she had to storm out and confront him. He never could gather the courage to send her anything except smitten looks. 

 

Lily always wondered why. Severus was anything but a coward. If James didn’t have three other fools with him he would not dare try his wand. He would be lying in a heap in a heartbeat. It seemed funny at times. Severus was like an unbreakable sheet of metal that melted whenever she drew close. Had everyone else not confirmed it she would have never suspected quiet, gentle, Severus Snape to join the death eaters. He should have been just another one of those unfortunate victims James picked on. Only, he fought back. 

If only he had shown the same courage to her. If he did, she might be… no! She would not soil James’ memory. Some thoughts were better left undisturbed. 

 

Now, dragons. Lily tapped her cheek. Where could she find those? Finding a hatchling for Harry may do more harm than good, and there was no way she would allow him to go hunting for them on his own. No, she needed a healthy adult dragon. Transforming into a newborn would not have the same advantage. Maybe she could call in a favor from the dragon research and restraint department? Or perhaps send a bribe. Either way, she would see Harry get his dragon. 

 

“You’re awake?” Lily heard from behind her. She turned around to see Rufus, holding a few potions. 

 

“Rufus? Did you forget how to knock?” She sighed. 

 

He gave a guilty smile. “I expected you to be asleep.” 

 

“So you took the opportunity to sneak into my room?” She asked indignantly. 

 

“Well, if you were not awake you could use some of these, and if you were then you would need them even more.” He said, pushing his potions towards her. She drank. 

 

“Invigoration Draught? Not weak either, where did you get this?” She asked, feeling her senses return to her. 

 

“The students at Hogwarts are being assigned suspiciously useful potions for once, and we have decided to take advantage of the fact.” He said. 

 

Lily snorted. She could see the image of Severus writing instructions on the board, changing the potions from academic to utility.

 

“Get some more, none of us will be sleeping these days.” She said, looking down at the reports again. 

 

The death eaters were like a serpent without a shadow sometimes, leaving nothing for the aurors to find. Sometimes they rushed to a meeting spot to find it unoccupied. Other times, they would discover a trap waiting for them. A good quarter of the aurors had been incapaciated already. As if Lily needed any more work on her desk. 

 

She sighed. “When is Fudge going to do something? We can’t continue like this!” She shouted. 

 

Rufus put his hand on her shoulder again. “Lily, you know how he is sometimes.” 

 

“That’s no excuse and you know it, Rufus! We need him to act now! By the time his wits find him, there won’t be any aurors left! I’ll speak-” He cut her off. 

 

“I’ve tried, Lily. Believe me, we have no choice but to wait. As long as Fudge is minister of magic we must be patient and find a way to convince him.” He said. 

 

Lily sighed, balling her fists and gritting her teeth. “He shouldn’t be. The fool.” She muttered. 

 

Rufus raised an eyebrow. “Are you suggesting a mutiny?” He asked. 

 

“Yes.” She replied, surprising herself with her sincerity. 

 

He laughed. It was rumbling and powerful, like a mountain shaking during an earthquake. Through it, Lily could hear shuffling. Robes dragged across carpet and doors opened as witches and wizards flooded the room, all aurors. Her colleagues. 

 

“See, I told you she would agree.” Lily heard one say. Her gaze swung from one auror to another. Moody, Kingsley, Proudfoot. Merlin’s beard! That had to be everyone she knew of in the office. 

 

“What is this?” Lily demanded. 

 

Rufus smiled with a lion’s majesty and strength. “An invitation, Lily. We are planning a coup.” 

3