Lock 18: Holiday Season: New Year
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside of the box was a silver chain bracelet and at the middle of it was a shield piece fixed in it engraved with a letter Z, which is my first name initial at the center. I am happy but confused as different queries keep coming into my mind, and I'm all clueless. Who is this person? Why does he do it? And the biggest question is why me?

But wait, let's end it here, and I do not want to resort to overthinking, so I'll take my rest now.

Another few days had passed and tonight is New Year's Eve. As expected, mom is busy, and she loves cooking, the way I also love it, which I inherited from her. Mom is kind of superstitious like any Asian mom out there. She does collect 12 different fruits such as grapes, apple, kiwi, persimmon, melon, watermelon, etc. There are kakanin (rice-derived desserts) too like Biko and Suman. The all-time favorite and will always be on the table is Pansit, together with the belief in longevity brought by it. We also have Lechon, Shanghai, and Menudo for tonight's dinner.

We are all casually eating together with Manang Linda as she's also part of our family now. We're having an early dinner intended for Media Noche and should be festive, yet none of us is speaking. It's quiet, and the dining hall is occupied with deafening silence. I don't want to open up a conversation because it will only end up taking me on a hot seat. Manang Linda was trying to lighten up the mood, but it's futile.

We finished, and thankfully I endured that awkward meal. I went back to my room and ready to sleep, but suddenly I received a message from Ley.

"Head out to the backyard," What is he up to now?

"What for?" I replied.

"Just go outside," he text-back. Lately, Ley is being bossy, but that's okay because I've caused him so much trouble recently.

I slowly walk until I've reached our backyard slash garden, and in there, I saw him. He was waiting at the other side. The fence offers him support to his elbow as his chin sits down on both palms of his hand, trying to look cute.

"Mind explaining?" I asked him.

He tries not to laugh first before answering me, "There's nothing much," he said.

I glared at him, "Huh? All for nothing, and now your making fun of me," I suddenly feel agitated.

"Let's end this year and welcome the new one together," he said while smiling, "and I'm not making fun of you. It's just that you're way so cute getting worked up, hahaha." Then he pinches both of my cheeks.

I warned him, "Stop that," and he let it go.

I decided to lay down on the grass while we wait for the countdown, and I think he did it too. The night is cold, and it's refreshing to feel the breeze and spend this time outside. Between the two of us is the fence separating our houses. We had a conversation about what we've been through this year. It made us laugh, happy, a bit sad, and gloomy; all sorts of emotions are what we felt going back to those memories. We may not see each other's faces, but both of us know what the other feels based on our voices passing through the holes and gaps of this fence. We talk for quite a long time as we look at the dark night sky. It is kinda cloudy tonight, and there are a few stars to see.

But suddenly, the clouds start to subside, and the sky becomes clear, revealing the stars hidden a while ago.

"Ley, the stars are showing up," I said out of excitement.

The sky begins to be filled with stars, a lot of them. The moon is astonishingly beautiful and bright tonight.

"Tonight's sky did not fail us to give a magnificent sight. Don't you think?"

"Yeah. I think so too. Maybe it has known that we're watching" I randomly joke around as I agree with Ley.

I hope Shane is also witnessing what I am seeing now. Fuck, why a thought of him. I felt a little sad to remember him during these times that I should be happy. I took a deep breath and sighed.

"Have you seen it?" Ley asked, referring to the shooting star that had passed.

"Yes," I said with a smile even though he can't see me smiling.

"So, what did you wish?" he asked again.

You know it's a piece of common knowledge for everyone that if you see a shooting star, you could wish to it, and it will come true. There's no basis for this practice, and they say only a child would believe in these things, but I do, and there's nothing wrong if I try.

"Genuine happiness and acceptance," I said, but honestly, there is an image of Shane's face as I uttered those words.

I asked him the same question, "what did you wish?"

But he answered me with a "Secret" and chuckles.

"It's not fair," I wanted to throw tantrums, but I rather not.

The sky starts becoming wild from beautiful and colorful firework display as we did not notice that it's already midnight. We heard noises everywhere, coming from a torotot, tambutso (smoke belcher), firecrackers, etc. We get up from being laid down, and I started jumping while Ley is just looking at me with a smile. Another belief that you can get taller if you jump during New Year's celebration. Ley does not need it since he is a lot taller than me.

I've calmed down and greeted him, "Happy New Year!"

And he responded, "I'm lucky that I have found you. Happy New Year, Zig!"

Ley and I watched the fireworks as it dominates the horizon. We waited for things to settled down a little and bid our goodbyes.

Going inside, I was checking my phone and replying to the people who greeted me. It's mainly from Charm, Grace, and Nissi. But a message caught my attention, an unknown sender in my Messenger- a dummy account, with no picture nor name.

I read it and to my surprise.

Happy New Year!

-Mockingbird

0