6: Breaking
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shizune woke Mizuki up and told her, "Hurry and dress, or we'll miss breakfast."

Mizuki rolled out of bed without replying, rinsed quickly in the shower, and then threw on clean clothes. She was even the first one out the door, although she didn't outpace Shizune as they made their way up to the center building.

There were tables for breakfast on the patio in front, and not many people outside yet, but Mizuki spotted Sora and made a beeline toward him. He brightened as he saw her approaching, scooped her into his lap, and exchanged a kiss with her.

Shizune gave an outraged gasp and asked, "Mizuki, what are you doing?"

Mizuki sighed, and then introduced Sora to her sister. "This is Konami Sora, we got together last night, and I plan to spend the rest of the week sleeping in his room."

"Hi, wait… You've already done it with him?!" Shizune exclaimed.

"We're only here for five more nights, if I waited we wouldn't get any time at all," Mizuki protested.

Shizune covered her face for a moment, and then asked faintly, "Are you at least using protection?"

"Of course we are," Sora and Mizuki answered in chorus. They looked at each other and laughed.

Shizune stared at them as she replied uncertainly, "Good." 

Mizuki glanced at Sora apologetically, and then uncomfortably told her sister, "But I'll still spend all day doing whatever you want Shizu-nee-chan, I'm not trying to abandon you."

"I don't know what I want to do today," Shizune admitted after a long moment of silence.

Mizuki suggested, "We could go browse the advertisements in the office here, they had a rack. Or we could go swimming?"

Sora hugged her against him and then offered, "I have a car rented, if you want to go anywhere that the bus doesn't run, or at times that it's not running. There's a nature preserve and a couple of lighthouses if you'd rather hike than swim."

Mizuki looked at Shizune's face, then sighed and told him, "Thank you for the offer, but maybe I should just meet up with you again at supper." Sora glanced at her sister too, but just shrugged after a long moment.

Shizune repeated uncomfortably, "I don't know Mizuki." 

Mizuki shrugged and told her, 'It's okay. Let's just eat breakfast for now." 

She kissed Sora again, then slid off his lap and went to fill a plate.

--

While they were eating Mizuki suggested teasingly, "We could call Hattori-san and go snorkeling?"

Shizune shook her head firmly. "I won't complain about Konami-san anymore, but messing around with one guy is enough Mizuki."

Mizuki stared at her sister open-mouthed for a moment before glancing at Sora who raised his eyebrows at her. "He's not for me!" she protested.

"Well you're the one who got his phone number, and shared an indirect kiss with him, what am I supposed to think Mizuki?" Shizune asked reasonably.

"I thought he looked like your type, and it's not my fault he drank it," Mizuki muttered.

Shizune blushed as she replied firmly, "I know you think that everything is over between Mori-san and I, but he might change his mind after he has time to deal with everything, I don't want to date someone else right now."

Mizuki leapt to her feet and protested angrily, "Don't you dare get back together with that jerk! He lied to you!"

Shizune stared at her in shock for a moment, and then objected hotly, "How dare you say something like that Mizuki! Why would he lie about his grandmother dying?"

Mizuki froze, torn between admitting she'd seen him on the island and keeping it a secret. She didn't know which would be better and she didn't want Shizune to spend the whole vacation locked in their room crying.

Sora spoke up hesitantly, "Did you want to go snorkeling?" Mizuki and Shizune both turned to look at him and he shifted his shoulders uncomfortably.

Embarrassed, Shizune admitted, "It does sound fun, but I don't know. I'll go look at the advertisements." She picked up her plate and took it over to the trash collector.

Mizuki moved over to lean against Sora's shoulder and whispered, "Thank you." He just looked at her questioningly, so she leaned into him and he pulled her close enough to wrap his arm around her and pull her into his lap again. She laid her head on his shoulder and admitted quietly, "I don't know what to do, that jerk is here on the island with a different girl. But I'm afraid if I tell Shizu-nee-chan that, she'll just lay in bed and cry all week…"

He hesitated before answering. "I don't know Mizuki, but I think if it were me, I'd rather know?"

Mizuki sighed and cuddled against him for a moment, before reaching up and pulling his head down for another kiss. "Sorry, I should go after her then," she told him reluctantly when the kiss ended. She stood and then asked, "I don't suppose I can have your phone number now?"

He gave her a long look and asked, "For your collection?"

She gave an outraged gasp before he grinned, and he laughed at her. Once she realized that he was teasing her, she replied boldly, "Yes, I'd better start collecting now so I can be one of those grandmothers with a hundred wild stories someday!"

He pulled her back to him for another kiss, and told her seriously, "You'll be such an adorable little grandmother that no one will ever believe you." 

He pulled out his phone and they traded numbers before Mizuki went after her sister.

--

Shizune was frowning unhappily at the advertising displays in the office, and Mizuki approached hesitantly. Shizune looked at her and then asked quietly, "Why do you keep calling Mori-san a jerk, and why did you say he was lying to me Mizuki? It's not like you and you were really angry."

Mizuki asked hesitantly, "I don't suppose you'd be willing to promise you won't spend all week in bed crying before I tell you?"

Shizune swallowed and put down the advertisement she was holding. "Let's go back to our room," she said. "I promise not to cry all week, but it sounds like I'm going to cry a little."

--

When they got back to their room, they sat on the bed that Shizune had claimed, where they could look out at the ocean. They were both silent for a few minutes before Shizune asked, "Well?"

Mizuki admitted unhappily​, "I've just been calling him a jerk because he keeps making you cry."

"Onee-chan still cries over Kyo-nii-san on a regular basis and you have never called him a jerk Mizuki, you always take his side!" Shizune complained.

"I don't always take Kyo-nii-chan's side, and mostly Aka-nee-chan cries because of things she imagined," Mizuki protested.

Shizune laughed and agreed reluctantly. But her smile didn't last long and she asked, "And what has he been lying to me about?"

Mizuki shifted uncomfortably as she admitted, "I only suspected it at home, but after we got here I saw him on the beach with another girl."

Shizune suggested unhappily, "It could have just been someone who looks like him Mizuki." Mizuki shook her head. "You never said anything at home," Shizune protested.

Mizuki sighed and covered her face for a moment before explaining, "When I saw him with another girl there, I didn't get a good enough look to be absolutely certain, and it could have been a cousin or something even if it was him."

"That time we went shopping and I bought the green dress?" Shizune asked miserably after a long moment.

Mizuki stared at her in surprise and asked, "You saw him too?"

Shizune nodded, but added, "I wasn't completely sure it was him." She pulled her knees up and buried her face in them.

Mizuki patted her back gently. "I'm sorry," she apologized unhappily.

After a little while Shizune asked accusingly, "But really Mizuki, how can you go and do it with a man you just met?"

Mizuki looked at her soberly before asking, "You've never complained about my love life at home. Why now?"

Shizune stared at her with a shocked expression as she questioned, "Have you slept with men you'd just met at home? I thought you'd only been with Tooru-kun and that jerk from your school?"

Mizuki gave her a wry look and answered honestly, knowing that her sister wouldn't understand what she was actually telling her, "No, this was my first time."

Shizune asked hesitantly, "Wasn't it awkward since you don't really know anything about each other?"

Mizuki grinned as she informed her, "No, it was amazing." Then she recalled how upset Sora had been, and added, "Although I guess I can't claim that we haven't had any awkward moments."

"Well, just be careful," Shizune warned her anxiously.

"I know," Mizuki agreed as she leaned over to give her worried sister a hug. "Don't worry."

Shizune stared out at the ocean for a long minute, and then asked a bit sadly, "Well, if I'm not going to lay in bed and cry all day, what should we do?"

1